New Homepage Forums The Red Board SR’s FAB 5: LICHT IS MASTERING THE DRAFT; INSIDE BUCS’ PICK OF AGUAYO

This topic contains 105 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous May 25, 16 at 1:41 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)

SR’s FAB 5: LICHT IS MASTERING THE DRAFT; INSIDE BUCS’ PICK OF AGUAYO

• Scott Reynolds
    Keymaster
    Scott Reynolds

https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-licht-is-mastering-the-draft-inside-bucs-pick-of-aguayo/

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Spoiler alert: Rankins was mentioned.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Very good article.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Spoiler alert: Rankins was mentioned.

I lol'd when I saw that. I also lol'd at the beginning when he mentioned that ASJ was a solid starter.Aside from that, it was a good article.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Solid Fab 5. Fascinating insight. Thank you SR. Love the deep dive on the Aguayo pick. It also thrills my heart to see that the Bucs had 1st round grades on 7 players in the last 2 drafts.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Very good read Scott. Jason confirms in his own words a strategy for our front office that I dislike intensely, but the evidence from his drafts already clearly pointed to a target prospects and trade up for them mentality.  That he would downplay the importance of 4th round picks makes my stomach churn.  I don't think identifying fewer players for drafting is going to work over time.  I think when you start to bend reality to attempt to justify it, you do your readers a disservice.  Calling ASJ a quality starter is laughable. As is including the kicker fresh off his rookie minicamp.  Saying Jason has mastered the NFL draft comes off, to me, much the same as some of the praise you gave our last general manager. 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

“Bucs general manager Jason Licht didn’t just learn a lesson about the value of a good kicker last year after the trade for Kyle Brindza backfired when he missed three field goals and an extra point in a 10-point loss to Houston, in addition to missing two field goals and an extra point the following week against Carolina. “I guess the fact that the Texans converted almost 50% of their 3rd downs, threw for almost 500 yards, dominated the time of possession, and racked up almost 200 yards on the ground without Foster didn't factor in much...Blame it all on the kicker when actually the defense sucked just as bad...In the  Carolina game in question, the defense gave up six scores and the offense had 5 turnovers...The kicker missed two FGs, but the defense gave up the booty way to easily...I get it Brindza sucked, but Barth Connor was a serviceable and available option...

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Good Stuff.I can relate to how JL is wired.Not a whole lot of people get it like he appears to. "...If you can’t make fun of yourself and if you take yourself too seriously this isn’t the right business for you..."  I wish everyone had this level of sensibility... 

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

[…]Twenty percent of those went on to become starters or Darren Sproles-type players.[…]Thirty-seven percent are career backups like Louis Murphy.

You know, twenty percent is a really good odds for something they refer to as lottory. Then, if you look at the thirty-seven percent that will make the team as contributing backup for a depth depleted team.Winston sure could have used Louis Murphy last season. I get trying to identify market inefficiencies and exploit them but maybe Licht is being way too aggressive over this. Maybe the desire to buck the trend becomes so dogmatic it becomes a detriment.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

And if you are so good at scouting that you have the confidence of turning 2 picks into 1 player as frequently as we are, you should also be better at identifying that 20%.  He uses the example of Kwon both ways.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

Very good read Scott. Jason confirms in his own words a strategy for our front office that I dislike intensely, but the evidence from his drafts already clearly pointed to a target prospects and trade up for them mentality.  That he would downplay the importance of 4th round picks makes my stomach churn.  I don't think identifying fewer players for drafting is going to work over time.  I think when you start to bend reality to attempt to justify it, you do your readers a disservice.  Calling ASJ a quality starter is laughable. As is including the kicker fresh off his rookie minicamp.  Saying Jason has mastered the NFL draft comes off, to me, much the same as some of the praise you gave our last general manager.

so instead of being very confident about 3-4 players you'd rather be very confident about 2-3 and gamble on the rest?not talking smack, just trying to see what you'd prefer.and ASJ is a quality starter, when healthy. no one is calling the guy a pro bowler

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

so instead of being very confident about 3-4 players you'd rather be very confident about 2-3 and gamble on the rest?not talking smack, just trying to see what you'd prefer.and ASJ is a quality starter, when healthy. no one is calling the guy a pro bowler

It is all a gamble. To think otherwise is egomaniacal.  My problem is our front office becoming "very confident" about specific prospects at the rate they are and their willingness to give up multiple picks for those prospects.  We are chasing certain prospects and not letting drafts come to us.  Jason made it sound like he had to be talked out of moving up for Spence. Those that want to view everything he does as positive believe we are moving ahead of teams who would draft the prospects we are "very confident" about. Who knows?  My opinion is its just as likely we are chasing shadows and being overly aggressive.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Jason Licht or “threadkiller” to run a franchise… my money is on Mr. Licht.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Mark Dominik or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Dominik.

Circa 2012.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Anonymous
    Anonymous

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Mark Dominik or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Dominik.

Circa 2012.

Likely true... Still stands. I would STILL choose Dominik over you sir.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 106 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2017 PewterReport.com All Rights reserved. Marketing Tampa | Visual Realm