Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 105 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

• Anonymous

Inactive

Spoiler alert: Rankins was mentioned.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good article.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Spoiler alert: Rankins was mentioned.

I lol'd when I saw that. I also lol'd at the beginning when he mentioned that ASJ was a solid starter.Aside from that, it was a good article.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Solid Fab 5. Fascinating insight. Thank you SR. Love the deep dive on the Aguayo pick. It also thrills my heart to see that the Bucs had 1st round grades on 7 players in the last 2 drafts.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good read Scott. Jason confirms in his own words a strategy for our front office that I dislike intensely, but the evidence from his drafts already clearly pointed to a target prospects and trade up for them mentality.  That he would downplay the importance of 4th round picks makes my stomach churn.  I don't think identifying fewer players for drafting is going to work over time.  I think when you start to bend reality to attempt to justify it, you do your readers a disservice.  Calling ASJ a quality starter is laughable. As is including the kicker fresh off his rookie minicamp.  Saying Jason has mastered the NFL draft comes off, to me, much the same as some of the praise you gave our last general manager. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

“Bucs general manager Jason Licht didn’t just learn a lesson about the value of a good kicker last year after the trade for Kyle Brindza backfired when he missed three field goals and an extra point in a 10-point loss to Houston, in addition to missing two field goals and an extra point the following week against Carolina. “I guess the fact that the Texans converted almost 50% of their 3rd downs, threw for almost 500 yards, dominated the time of possession, and racked up almost 200 yards on the ground without Foster didn't factor in much...Blame it all on the kicker when actually the defense sucked just as bad...In the  Carolina game in question, the defense gave up six scores and the offense had 5 turnovers...The kicker missed two FGs, but the defense gave up the booty way to easily...I get it Brindza sucked, but Barth Connor was a serviceable and available option...

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good Stuff.I can relate to how JL is wired.Not a whole lot of people get it like he appears to. "...If you can’t make fun of yourself and if you take yourself too seriously this isn’t the right business for you..."  I wish everyone had this level of sensibility... 

• Anonymous

Inactive

[…]Twenty percent of those went on to become starters or Darren Sproles-type players.[…]Thirty-seven percent are career backups like Louis Murphy.

You know, twenty percent is a really good odds for something they refer to as lottory. Then, if you look at the thirty-seven percent that will make the team as contributing backup for a depth depleted team.Winston sure could have used Louis Murphy last season. I get trying to identify market inefficiencies and exploit them but maybe Licht is being way too aggressive over this. Maybe the desire to buck the trend becomes so dogmatic it becomes a detriment.

• Anonymous

Inactive

And if you are so good at scouting that you have the confidence of turning 2 picks into 1 player as frequently as we are, you should also be better at identifying that 20%.  He uses the example of Kwon both ways.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Very good read Scott. Jason confirms in his own words a strategy for our front office that I dislike intensely, but the evidence from his drafts already clearly pointed to a target prospects and trade up for them mentality.  That he would downplay the importance of 4th round picks makes my stomach churn.  I don't think identifying fewer players for drafting is going to work over time.  I think when you start to bend reality to attempt to justify it, you do your readers a disservice.  Calling ASJ a quality starter is laughable. As is including the kicker fresh off his rookie minicamp.  Saying Jason has mastered the NFL draft comes off, to me, much the same as some of the praise you gave our last general manager.

so instead of being very confident about 3-4 players you'd rather be very confident about 2-3 and gamble on the rest?not talking smack, just trying to see what you'd prefer.and ASJ is a quality starter, when healthy. no one is calling the guy a pro bowler

• Anonymous

Inactive

so instead of being very confident about 3-4 players you'd rather be very confident about 2-3 and gamble on the rest?not talking smack, just trying to see what you'd prefer.and ASJ is a quality starter, when healthy. no one is calling the guy a pro bowler

It is all a gamble. To think otherwise is egomaniacal.  My problem is our front office becoming "very confident" about specific prospects at the rate they are and their willingness to give up multiple picks for those prospects.  We are chasing certain prospects and not letting drafts come to us.  Jason made it sound like he had to be talked out of moving up for Spence. Those that want to view everything he does as positive believe we are moving ahead of teams who would draft the prospects we are "very confident" about. Who knows?  My opinion is its just as likely we are chasing shadows and being overly aggressive.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Jason Licht or “threadkiller” to run a franchise… my money is on Mr. Licht.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Mark Dominik or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Dominik.

Circa 2012.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Mark Dominik or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Dominik.

Circa 2012.

Likely true... Still stands. I would STILL choose Dominik over you sir.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Jason Licht or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Licht.

In fact, of late, if threadkiller opposes something, that is usually a a sign it was a good decision

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shortened version: Reporter talks to the GM, GM still likes the players acquired in the draft.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I dunno.. if i have to pick between Jason Licht or "threadkiller" to run a franchise... my money is on Mr. Licht.

In fact, of late, if threadkiller opposes something, that is usually a a sign it was a good decision

Examples.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It is all a gamble. To think otherwise is egomaniacal.  My problem is our front office becoming "very confident" about specific prospects at the rate they are and their willingness to give up multiple picks for those prospects.  We are chasing certain prospects and not letting drafts come to us.  Jason made it sound like he had to be talked out of moving up for Spence. Those that want to view everything he does as positive believe we are moving ahead of teams who would draft the prospects we are "very confident" about. Who knows?  My opinion is its just as likely we are chasing shadows and being overly aggressive.

gotcha... well remember, no one is perfect. no one is saying he is the perfect gm. remember, we are a franchise who was dogged by Marky Mark and fugly bunch. A GM that looks vastly better than Mark D, is going to get a lot of knob polishing on this board.

• Anonymous

Inactive

gotcha... well remember, no one is perfect. no one is saying he is the perfect gm. remember, we are a franchise who was dogged by Marky Mark and fugly bunch. A GM that looks vastly better than Mark D, is going to get a lot of knob polishing on this board.

I supported keeping Jason while firing Lovie throughout the season last year.  I would have been ok with a clean sweep, but my preference was to keep Jason as GM. It does appear to me we are identifying talent at college level well.  Much better than the previous GM and his staff.  I am not to the point that overall support has vanished.  The approach troubles me greatly, but today I still want him. Still want to see if he really does have the golden touch that few/none have had before to allow the strategy to be beneficial over time.

• Anonymous

Inactive

One thing that I really like about Licht is the way he doesn’t drag on with failed players or ideas, he’s quick to cut his losses.With that being said, I am very skeptical about his talent evaluations.  I still think his first draft was crap, as was the FA signings that year.  His second draft was great, but as I've said before- I largely give credit for the groundwork of that draft to Jon Robinson.  This last draft....I dunno, there could be a few good picks in them, but I won't hold my breath for a true difference maker outside of a 2nd round pick kicker and possibly DE.  I hope I'm wrong though and Licht proves to be the stud you all think he is.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Scott,This weeks Fab 5 was used to create an NFL.com article:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000664087/article/belichick-gostkowski-inspired-roberto-aguayo-pick

cool find, great post

• Anonymous

Inactive

Some of y’all b1tch just to be b1tchin’  Miserable.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Scott,This weeks Fab 5 was used to create an NFL.com article:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000664087/article/belichick-gostkowski-inspired-roberto-aguayo-pick

cool find, great post

Yes, good post. Thanks. I also watched the video of the announcement of the pick. Rich Eisen was excited. Plus, he pointed out that this pick made Mike Mayock "speechless". That is a good thing.

• Eddison Tollett

Participant

I think overall Jason Licht has done a good job adding talent to the team.  And I agree with the poster who said Licht is also good about getting rid of players once he realizes they aren’t any good.  I think he is right about calling players first round picks if they become quality starters in the nfl.  So far he has brought in 5 quality starters from his first two drafts.  Hopefully he has brought in at least 3 quality starters with his latest draft.  Also, Sefarian Jenkins,  Sims and Pamphile have a chance to be quality starters one day.  I also like the way Licht is looking for  bargains in fee agency and structuring the big contracts in a way where we can get rid of them if they don't pan out.  I think most can agree that Licht is a huge improvement over Dominick.

• jeebz116

Participant

Licht isn’t collecting talent. He’s building a football team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t believe threadkiller thinks he knows more than a paid gm and an entire scouting department, plus cheating Bill. Talk about egomanics.

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s an unhealthy dose of spin…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I should have included you too. Calico

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry to bust your (and bschucher's) chops... But, that is just weak.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why do you people continue on with the "Professionals know more" stuff?  Anytime someone disagrees with a decision by the team, that's the argument that's trotted out.  Those professionals make mistakes all of the time.I don't particularly agree with threadkiller's opinion on the Aguayo situation, but he's not being unreasonable in his arguments.  It was a pick that even the great Jason Licht knew would be contentious.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bellichick has never drafted a kicker in the second round when his defense gave up 400+ points for two straight years.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lichts core strategy is to build through the draft yet in 2016 this draft he said hes gonna forego using a 3rd round pick and a 4th round pick on both offense and defense in favor of a kicker to improve our bad football team. He can keep pointing at good football teams saying they have good kickers all he wants, no good organization makes a move like.I think we're on our way to being good and its gonna be fine, but all that did is making me severely question Lichts judgment again when I was previously totally confident in him. It was an immature move idc how many homers like SR wanna defend it. Hopefully it was an anomaly and its out of his system. Honestly, how many of you would rather have Roberto over keeping Barth but seeing Braxton miller in the slot and Hassan Ridgeway added to the DT group?

• jeebz116

Participant

I think it’s easy enough to figure out that the defense will be fixed in the next year or two. There aren’t going to be any Aguayo’s just floating around whenever you want them, there will however always be DT’s and Safeties in the 3rd and 4th rounds.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The deification of this particular kicker continues.  Can’t wait to see this kid redefine the position. Maybe the sport. DTs and safeties come and go, but this kicker?  Never been anything like him……

• Anonymous

Inactive

There aren't going to be any Aguayo's just floating around whenever you want them

I'd love to know what you're basing the on.

• jeebz116

Participant

There aren't going to be any Aguayo's just floating around whenever you want them

That was kind of the point of scott's article there chief. Don't like it, become an nfl GM. But there are plenty of proven football people that agree with the move. Now your momma should be here soon to change your s***** diaper. Quit whining.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Excellent article. I still don’t like drafting a kicker that is just average over 40 yards and I still don’t like the fact they ignored the DT spot.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry to bust your (and bschucher's) chops... But, that is just weak.

Same could be said about your football IQ...

• Anonymous

Inactive

That was kind of the point of scott's article there chief. Don't like it, become an nfl GM. But there are plenty of proven football people that agree with the move. Now your momma should be here soon to change your s***** diaper. Quit whining.

LOL, great response to a fair question.I'm not talking about the article. It's obvious that Licht thinks he's special. I wasn't asking about Licht's opinion. I assumed you based your opinion on more than just an interview you read. t'm asking you what you think Aguayo's game possesses that can't be found from non-drafted kickers. There has to be something beyond just exclamations to explain why this was a good move and not a huge overpay.

• Anonymous

Inactive