Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 108 reply threads

• Author

• Scott Reynolds

Keymaster

https://www.pewterreport.com/articles/srs-fab-5-smith-should-be-fired-if-jags-beat-bucs-winstons-a-playmaker/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thank you.Thank you for putting it out there what many of us fans have been thinking.  We see the product on the field and we hear the press conference afterward.  It isn't working.A win against the Jags buys time to face a more difficult opponent and build momentum.  A loss confirms the trajectory and need for a new direction.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagreed with SR’s calling for Schiano’s firing at this same juncture, but Lovie’s and Schiano’s circumstances are 180 degrees different.  Thank you Scott for being the first in the local media (as far as I know) to call for it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m fine with Lovie being banished to his basement again so long as the Glazers remove themselves from the hiring of the next coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Koetter auditioning for the head coaching position is something I am completely in favor with. I think he could make a fine head coach in this league.

Please wait…

• andrewp

Participant

You know, I was not on the “Fire Lovie” bandwagon but this is a bit ridiculous now.  I’m sick and tired of this team being a joke and the laughingstock of the NFL.  I’ve lived here like 25 years and can remember only a handful of times this team and, as a result, its fans have not been mocked and ridiculed as being a hapless bunch of losers.  Compare that to the pride and joy that, for example, Boston fans must feel about the Patriots.I don't know what it is about this team but it seems there's always something: We will play a garbage team and make them look like a Superbowl-caliber team (see: Titans).  When a team is struggling, who's the one team they shine against?  The Bucs.  What team gets walked all over at the worst possible times, by teams they should handily beat?  The Bucs.  What team seems to try hard at first and the minute things go south, seem to pack it up and just give in?  The Bucs.  I've seen it way too many times.  We play like (censored) against garbage teams and at least try against good teams.Something needs to change, whether it's the coach, the owners, or basically everything.  I am a Tampa-area resident and I'm tired of hanging my head in shame when I say that I support the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Koetter auditioning for the head coaching position is something I am completely in favor with. I think he could make a fine head coach in this league.

Certainly can't be any worse and at least we would find out before signing him to a 5 year contract.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As great as seeing Koetter get a chance would be, Lovie will almost certainly get enough from the team to save his job this week. Jags are too bad on offense to expose our defense. Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, and the Colts are not. So let’s just keep this thread ready to go again in November.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm fine with Lovie being banished to his basement again so long as the Glazers remove themselves from the hiring of the next coach.

I don't know them personally, but I just get a gut feeling their decisions are influenced heavily by outside sources, not relying on their own ideas, at least initially.  Other owners, Dungy, who knows?When pressed about his influence on the Glazers' choice of Lovie,  Dungy said he didn't talk to the Glazers just prior to the time Lovie's hiring was announced, but that doesn't mean he wasn't in conversation with them earlier in the 2013 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

SR1: Good Timing on the article.  This kind of thing gets everyone inside 1 Buc on the same page (I’d hope) at the right time – it’s that “us against the world” mentality…The fans deserve to see their team compete and finish in every phase.I do think whichever head coach loses this game is on his way out after the season barring a miracle.  I like both coaches, but the NFL has little patience for a lack of production at any level. (I'd consider this Strike 1 for Smith, Strike 2 for Bradley with a loss.)SR2:  I'd hope they don't throw in the towel on the running game just because Jax is stout...  This will help our rookie QB and it's very clear that Koetter is working hard to get the young man 'right'...  One of his best attributes is telling JW like it is without sugar coating it.IMO - JW does have all the tools, that is obvious to me now (it wasn't prior to watching him play NFL football.) His resiliency is going to be key now and this entire season.  His patience needs work, which will come with time and confidence in what he's doing out there.  The offense is producing but is being hampered by growing pains of the QB.    I've accepted that will be the norm for the first two quarters of the season...but see some real gains during the last two quarters as things progress.SR3 - Still not entirely confident in Rainey, but I like hard workers who continue to build their craft regardless of the challenges.  BR fits this mold (now that I know a bit more about him.)  I do like the fact that O'Dea is getting the ST's in shape...  (I really hope Barth has grown some leg on Kickoffs...)SR4 - Didn't realize Masifilo was a Stanford guy.  Like the fact he's shadowing Mankins.  And also like to hear he is tough (and aggressive.)  Guy sounds like he has motivation for days - something that has appeared lacking in other parts of the team in recent weeks...Looking forward to the weekend.  Hell, might even make the trip over to Tampa.  :)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As great as seeing Koetter get a chance would be, Lovie will almost certainly get enough from the team to save his job this week. Jags are too bad on offense to expose our defense. Falcons, Giants, Cowboys, Eagles, and the Colts are not. So let's just keep this thread ready to go again in November.

I'm not sure on the Jags being that bad when compared to the Bucs. They can and will run the ball on us. Bortles will also complete some passes. This game is going to be close and will hinge on Winston's ability to be a game manager and not make a lot of mistakes. This sucks to say but if Glennon was starting this game it would be much closer to a sure thing, with Winston, its 50/50.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ryan Delaire is the Lovie personel move that I’m most critical of over the last 2 years. We’ll see how he looks against other teams, but if he continues to play strong, that miss falls squarely on Lovie. Biggest need on this defense right now is edge rush, and he very well may have let a good edge rusher right through the building.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s the thing …  (at least to me.)Our talent level is so much above theirs...  our puzzle is slooooowly coming together...  and their puzzle is further along with less talent.Neither are in a position to talk about playoffs.    Any fan on either team that thinks/expects that in 2015 in unrealistic IMO.  But what do I know...  I'm a Fruit and blind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Losing 10 straight home games as HC already IS totally unacceptable. Losing to the teams in the manner they are lost is, of course, totally unacceptable. Losing to the Jaguars at home SHOULD be the final straw and it would certainly ruin the chances of any home field advantages for the rest of the season as far as crowds go. Fans are sick and tired of being outnumbered by cheering visiting team fans by the fourth quarter. It’s disgraceful, embarrassing and it has got to STOP.But St. Lovie will get the rest of the season anyway. That's just the way it is. Part of the hopelessness we are feeling now.Now should the Buccaneers win and look good doing so on Sunday? A glimmer of hope. I'LL TAKE IT!!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know I’m all over the place here, but the other personnel strategy I’ve hated the last 2 years is not picking up the 5th year option on previous 1st round picks. I don’t know if that was Licht’s or Lovie’s idea, but it would be nice to still have Adrian Clayborn on this team, and it would be nice to have Doug Martin one more year at a reasonable salary and not be forced to make a decision to pay him or not in a year that already looks to be transition filled again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Kudos to you, Scott

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure if this is a relief…  What if they win?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As far as losing the team. I wonder if that didn’t happen when he showed them winning didn’t matter in the last game of the 2014 season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I seriously don’t think anyone could do any worse than Lovie. Nearly every player on the roster is playing below their ability, which falls squarely on the head coach.Koetter is the obvious choice for interim HC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not sure if this is a relief...  What if they win?

Wouldn't impress me one bit!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wouldn't impress me one bit!!

84-0 ?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They probably will, and it will be "The team rallied behind Lovie," but we'll still suck coming out of the Bye.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As far as losing the team. I wonder if that didn't happen when he showed them winning didn't matter in the last game of the 2014 season.

Wait, so you mean tanking 2014 might have a negative effect? Color me shocked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully more of the local media wake up to the fact that Lovie is not a good coach for a re build.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good read. If we are about to lose to the jags, st lovie needs to be fired in the 4th quarter

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I know I'm all over the place here, but the other personnel strategy I've hated the last 2 years is not picking up the 5th year option on previous 1st round picks. I don't know if that was Licht's or Lovie's idea, but it would be nice to still have Adrian Clayborn on this team, and it would be nice to have Doug Martin one more year at a reasonable salary and not be forced to make a decision to pay him or not in a year that already looks to be transition filled again.

I think I remember reading that Doug's 5th year option would have been like 5.5 mil.  I would not pick up that option still.  That is a bad number to go into negotiations with as a starting point imo.  Either offer him a longer contract or let him go.Don't remember what AC's 5th year option would have been.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

RE: SR4 – If Mankin’s has groin issues right now, does Masifilo get the start?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Martin keeps playing like he has started so far this season, he is going to get more than $5.5 m a year in a long term deal from someone next year. Clayborn's number was somewhere around $5.5 million too, and he is only getting $3 from the Falcons, but just for the difference he could make to our shoddy run D right now, he'd be worth the $5.5.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And I’m in the camp that you don’t pay running backs big money unless they are head and shoulders above everyone else. I don’t want them to resign Martin next year, especially if he has a great season and boosts his price tag.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good read. If we are about to lose to the jags, st lovie needs to be fired in the 4th quarter

If our current trend continues, it should take place somewhere between the 1st and 2nd quarters.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If our current trend continues, it should take place somewhere between the 1st and 2nd quarters.

Barth is back, tho'...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hopefully more of the media will call Lovie out if we do end up losing to the Jags. Losing to them at home, to make Lovie 0-11 at home is beyond inexcusable. With that being said, like I mentioned in another thread, I think Lovie will get the rest of the year. If he can't beat the Jags in Tampa though, I have no confidence in him turning this around.

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

so getting a beat down from a 2 win team from last year and then losing to the Texans wasn’t enough?

Please wait…

• johnd

Participant

what if Jaboo has another horrible game?  when is PR going to start criticizing him and the selection of him over Mariota?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

what if Jaboo has another horrible game?  when is PR going to start criticizing him and the selection of him over Mariota?

Smh.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Where are all the Lovie defenders?  Dude is trash.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree he’s doing a bad job. But this is game 21 of a rebuilding job. We can’t keep firing coaches every 2 years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

...But this is game 21 of a rebuilding job...

LMFAO!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree he's doing a bad job. But this is game 21 of a rebuilding job. We can't keep firing coaches every 2 years.

Why continue bad continuity though? Keeping a coach just to avoid firing coaches after 2 years is not a good plan. Give him a full 2 years to show progress, real progress, no progress means he's gotta go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

does anyone know what type of defense koetter believes in?  what did they run when he was HC? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree he's doing a bad job. But this is game 21 of a rebuilding job. We can't keep firing coaches every 2 years.

I have seen so many nonsensical posts like this recently.  No body wants to fire coaches every couple years.  It means you are one of the worst teams in the league, which we are and have been.  So you don't have qualify your thoughts with you don't want to fire coaches every 2 years.  We will assume that, let us know if you decide we should start firing coaches every 2 years as policy.  That would be a discussion point.  When you add that thought after stating you think he is doing a bad job, I am left wondering if you would fire him or not.  There are a few people who do seem to want Lovie for another season no matter how poorly we do this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

does anyone know what type of defense koetter believes in?  what did they run when he was HC?

Are you asking what defense he ran as a HC @ ASU?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah.  is he a head coach that believes in a 43?  a 34?  a blitzing defense or a sound defense?  does he care at all about defense ala gruden?  just a talking point if we are gonna discuss axing lovie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Odds are, if Koetter gets the nod, Frazier will step in as not just the DC but also play calling.  So I expect little change on the defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But this is game 21 of a rebuilding job.

Or 21 games of regression.....depends on how you look at it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Of the season or the game? LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

yeah.  is he a head coach that believes in a 43?  a 34?  a blitzing defense or a sound defense?  does he care at all about defense ala gruden?  just a talking point if we are gonna discuss axing lovie.

Best I could find, in 2005 he ran a 4-3 with two deep.  So, as an interim HC, I agree with Freddy that LF would take over, little changes.  If hired permanently as HC, who knows what the Glazers would do on defense, General Manager, etc., let alone DK.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know if firing Lovie if he loses Sunday is a good move. If he does lose, a coaching search needs to be started, but I can’t remember any interim coach that actually did any good (there probably have been a few). What good coach in his right mind would want to come here, if we canned Lovie not even midway through his second year after we just fired Schiano, Morris and Gruden in the last few years. Lovie should get the rest of the season, 6 wins should be the mark that gets him to next season. Less, and he's replaced. At least then the Glazers can point to the fact that Lovie had two seasons, got to pick his own players and still couldn't show improvement from a 2 win season after the prior coach had a 4 win season with a team many thought should have won more games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

....At least then the Glazers can point to the fact that Lovie had two seasons...

Or just point to 12 straight home losses...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know if firing Lovie if he loses Sunday is a good move. If he does lose, a coaching search needs to be started, but I can't remember any interim coach that actually did any good (there probably have been a few). What good coach in his right mind would want to come here, if we canned Lovie not even midway through his second year after we just fired Schiano, Morris and Gruden in the last few years. Lovie should get the rest of the season, 6 wins should be the mark that gets him to next season. Less, and he's replaced. At least then the Glazers can point to the fact that Lovie had two seasons, got to pick his own players and still couldn't show improvement from a 2 win season after the prior coach had a 4 win season with a team many thought should have won more games.

Are you kidding me?  Any coach that believes in Winston.  QB is the key position in football.  If they believe Winston can be a great QB then they would take the job here in a heart beat.  There are only 32 NFL HC positions. There will be no problem finding candidates to fill one.  This is not a valid excuse to not fire someone.  Heck, in my opinion, I think it shows the Glazers care about the product on the field and won't accept another tanked year. All new HC's want owners who care.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’re wrong Fred. When good coaches see teams firing coaches every couple of years, they tend to want to go somewhere else. I’m not saying you won’t get a coach, but the coaches that have choices will not look at this situation favorably. Let's say, Sean Payton was fired from New Orleans at the end of the season, he'd have a lot of choices on where to coach next. I'm sure Tampa would strongly consider him, but would he consider Tampa especially if New York or Dallas or the Colts jobs open up? Maybe he wouldn't consider Tampa under any circumstances, but firing Lovie after a quarter of a season - I can't see where any coach would consider that a good thing.I'm not a fan of Smith, but I don't think firing a coach during the season does a damn bit of good either.JMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're wrong Fred. When good coaches see teams firing coaches every couple of years, they tend to want to go somewhere else. I'm not saying you won't get a coach, but the coaches that have choices will not look at this situation favorably. Let's say, Sean Payton was fired from New Orleans at the end of the season, he'd have a lot of choices on where to coach next. I'm sure Tampa would strongly consider him, but would he consider Tampa especially if New York or Dallas or the Colts jobs open up? Maybe he wouldn't consider Tampa under any circumstances, but firing Lovie after a quarter of a season - I can't see where any coach would consider that a good thing.I'm not a fan of Smith, but I don't think firing a coach during the season does a damn bit of good either.JMO.

LOL, no I'm not. You are just expressing your opinion and it certainly does not apply across the board.  Maybe you feel that way but there are plenty of quality HC candidates that will still jump at the chance.  But sticking with a shit coach in the hopes that you may a better coach down the road is just plain a bad idea.  Again, this is a lame excuse not to fire a coach.  If he should be fired should be based solely on his performance, not on who the next coach may or may not be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know if firing Lovie if he loses Sunday is a good move.

what good does keeping him here do?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

None, in fact if anything it hurts it.  If the Glazers were smart, after firing Lovie they would hire a football consultant to evaluate the entire organization.  They can start the search for a new HC now, at least in determining who to interview.  Waiting until the end of the season, they are in competition with all the other black Monday teams.  The Bucs should take their time and get this right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

None, in fact if anything it hurts it.  If the Glazers were smart, after firing Lovie they would hire a football consultant to evaluate the entire organization.  They can start the search for a new HC now, at least in determining who to interview.  Waiting until the end of the season, they are in competition with all the other black Monday teams.  The Bucs should take their time and get this right.

Freddy you're exactly right.  I have little faith that they would take the right steps, talk to the right people, but they have to try.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're wrong Fred. When good coaches see teams firing coaches every couple of years, they tend to want to go somewhere else. I'm not saying you won't get a coach, but the coaches that have choices will not look at this situation favorably. Let's say, Sean Payton was fired from New Orleans at the end of the season, he'd have a lot of choices on where to coach next. I'm sure Tampa would strongly consider him, but would he consider Tampa especially if New York or Dallas or the Colts jobs open up? Maybe he wouldn't consider Tampa under any circumstances, but firing Lovie after a quarter of a season - I can't see where any coach would consider that a good thing.I'm not a fan of Smith, but I don't think firing a coach during the season does a damn bit of good either.JMO.

I flat do not want any coach who weighs how quickly a coach with a terrible record is fired.  I would think Lovie's last firing would be looked at much more harshly by potential candidates.  When a coach who has some success is fired because the success was not great enough.  Anyone who comes to Tampa has a low bar, regardless how quick the perceived hook.  If a coach feels like he needs a multiple season buffer for less than 6 wins, I say "Next!".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bare with me for a second…let’s point out the obvious real quick…because it is so fking sad…Raheem Morris...Schiano embarrassment years (micromanaged WAY too much...dumbass crashing victory formations...Freeman...MRSA...wrong place wrong time? Although he's still unemployed)...and now Lovie Smith who has gotten blown out numerous times and cannot win a home game to save his life...The Glazer boys are FUCKING AWFUL at this whole "football" thing. They've got an EXTREMELY successful, respected, well run sports club right down the road that is run by one of the best owners in sports PERIOD! You'd think that MAYBE they would pick up a few things.I respect the hell out of Lovie as a man. He is a really really good guy, but his time as an NFL coach seems to be up. Now it's obviously not ALL coaching. The players share some blame, but Lovie has final say over the 53 man roster. He's brought in some of HIS guys who haven't done a damn thing. That also falls on him, obviously. I mean why is Mike Jenkins still on this team? Much less STARTING. SMHThat said, firing Lovie Smith (I still think he'll get another year, unfortunately) will do what? Allow the Glazer boys to make another shit hire? MAYBE they could get lucky and strike gold. I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Expect more of the same until they bring in someone, that knows what they are doing, to run the football end of things. I don't know if they could even get that right IF they decided (doubtful) to sack up and do it. I am not saying KEEP Lovie, but rather don't expect much to change until the Glazer boys make some long overdue changes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

3-18 is HISTORICALLY bad.  That's just awful.  You're going to not just worst in Buc's history but in NFL history.  The problem is this isn't his first gig...he's coaching in his 160+ game.  That is a huge problem.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, it's wrong to admit that you fooked up the HC hire again? It's okay to keep a coach that hasn't won a game at home in 11 attempts and counting? "We can't keep firing coaches every 2 years" is a strawman argument.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay, so you fire Smith 5 games into the season. How does that help exactly? You get an interim coach, from the current staff that hasn’t shown any evidence of being able to run their section of the team any better than the current coach. Put Koetter in charge, no NFL head coaching experience. Yeah he talks a good game, but so far, his offense doesn’t seem to be saving Lovie’s job and it’s not like it looks like Lovie is telling Koetter exactly what to do. Put Frazier in charge? Might be better, but probably not or Lovie wouldn’t have taken play calling duties away from him.Maybe it will make the fans feel better, but I can't see how it makes the Bucs any better at all. Smith is going to have his supporters on the team and while some of the team might be fine with changing out the coaches, some players won't. Also, there will be procedural changes from one leader to another.I'm not saying not to fire Lovie because I don't think he needs to be replaced, I just don't see how firing him accomplishes anything. Interim coaches by and large fail and rarely show more than a game or two of improvement and that would probably be just enough to push us down the draft board.So yes, it's a huge mess, and should Smith lose Sunday, he deserves to be fired. But don't go acting like that's going to fix anything; if anything, it'll probably make things worse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

so getting a beat down from a 2 win team from last year and then losing to the Texans wasn't enough?

It's enough for me. The game Sunday against the Jags means nothing. It's a coin toss of two very bad teams. One will win, one will lose....and it's meaningless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One will win, one will lose....and it's meaningless.

This is kinda where I'm at...I think he's a goner regardless but firing him now does not address the underlying problem....the guys doing the hiring don't know football from foozball so expect....I dunno....Lane Kiffin to be in the running for HC for nostalgia sake

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not saying not to fire Lovie because I don't think he needs to be replaced, I just don't see how firing him accomplishes anything.

Because that makes sense. Lets wait til Lovie gets us our 4th in a row 1st overall pick before we even discuss his ouster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know if firing Lovie if he loses Sunday is a good move. If he does lose, a coaching search needs to be started, but I can't remember any interim coach that actually did any good (there probably have been a few). What good coach in his right mind would want to come here, if we canned Lovie not even midway through his second year after we just fired Schiano, Morris and Gruden in the last few years. Lovie should get the rest of the season, 6 wins should be the mark that gets him to next season. Less, and he's replaced. At least then the Glazers can point to the fact that Lovie had two seasons, got to pick his own players and still couldn't show improvement from a 2 win season after the prior coach had a 4 win season with a team many thought should have won more games.

Therin lies the problem. Just reading through this thread, I feel as if most fans really have no idea that all of the best coaches don't want to come here. The Glazers fired a HOF coach who turned this franchise into a perennial contender after years of losing and then went on to win a SB (Dungy).And their encore move after that was to fire the coach who won the SB in his first year here after he had a 9-7 season (Gruden).If you guys haven't noticed (obviously not) the best coaches no longer want to come here. The reason why is because the management here sucks. Remember the last coaching search? I was high on Mike Zimmer, who has Minnesota at 2-2 and nearly beat Denver at Denver last week. He excluded himself from consideration for this job, as have many of the top candidates.No matter what happens this week we need to keep Lovie for at least the remainder of the season, maybe longer. I hate to break it to you guys, but we are stuck with Lovie for the forseeable future, or we will continue to hire the Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano types because none of the best candidates want this job. Firing Lovie doesn't really increase our chances of getting a top notch quality coach in here. Those guys don't want this job.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chip Kelly might be available.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chip Kelly might be available.

The same Chip Kelly who already turned us down?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Therin lies the problem. Just reading through this thread, I feel as if most fans really have no idea that all of the best coaches don't want to come here. The Glazers fired a HOF coach who turned this franchise into a perennial contender after years of losing and then went on to win a SB (Dungy).And their encore move after that was to fire the coach who won the SB in his first year here after he had a 9-7 season (Gruden).If you guys haven't noticed (obviously not) the best coaches no longer want to come here. The reason why is because the management here sucks. Remember the last coaching search? I was high on Mike Zimmer, who has Minnesota at 2-2 and nearly beat Denver at Denver last week. He excluded himself from consideration for this job, as have many of the top candidates.No matter what happens this week we need to keep Lovie for at least the remainder of the season, maybe longer. I hate to break it to you guys, but we are stuck with Lovie for the forseeable future, or we will continue to hire the Raheem Morris and Greg Schiano types because none of the best candidates want this job. Firing Lovie doesn't really increase our chances of getting a top notch quality coach in here. Those guys don't want this job.

And all of this would be fixed by letting Lovie get us a top 3 pick this and next year? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anyone here remember the public firing of Leeman Bennett by Hugh Culverhouse? The man had no idea it was coming, sitting smoking a cigar next to Mr. C. I forget the exact words, but when asked by a reporter if Bennett was his HC next year, Mr. C paused a moment, then answered “No”. Bennett’s cigar dropped to the table… LOL; can't believe it's actually on the web; link below...http://articles.philly.com/1986-12-30/sports/26066602_1_leeman-bennett-buccaneers-owner-hugh-culverhouse-university-of-alabama-coachhttp://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-30/sports/sp-1193_1_tampa-bay-buccaneers

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it were up to me, I would have hired Joe Madden to coach the Bucs before the Cubs nabbed him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If it were up to me, I would have hired Joe Madden to coach the Bucs before the Cubs nabbed him.

would love itbest part is when he would eject hocculi8725376781_2773f707f6_o.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

THE WINSTON REPORT HAS GONE ROGUE.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why dont they just call it what it is? The messiah report.I hate to tell them so, but i told them all that lord winston would be the light, the truth, and the FYIYP.Those pineapple eating mo fos should have known not to cross the path of the almighty. #YOLOballs of all things great, and small!PR'S inability to honor the lord winston will NOT be met with open crabarms. Or crablegs, for that matter.They should anoint their heads with butter, and do a hundred "jabooshskis" in an attempt to regain the lord winstons approval.Praise the almighty crabslinger!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why dont they just call it what it is? The messiah report.I hate to tell them so, but i told them all that lord winston would be the light, the truth, and the FYIYP.Those pineapple eating mo fos should have known not to cross the path of the almighty. #YOLOballs of all things great, and small!PR'S inability to honor the lord winston will NOT be met with open crabarms. Or crablegs, for that matter.They should anoint their heads with butter, and do a hundred "jabooshskis" in an attempt to regain the lord winstons approval.Praise the almighty crabslinger!!

#swagdimes and #skrongballs

Please wait…

• mimidaycare

Participant

winston no good fat bad  coach is bad over all teamwhy team pick Winston he boomph and slow like animal that sick of dyingIs winston good no  to slow

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (younger Red Boarders be like “what’s a record?”)…Glazers are the root cause of Tampa’s ills and here’s why…Gruden not a players coach? Let's give 'em a coach that's just as immature as the players (Rah)Raheem not running a tight ship? Let's give 'em Greg MussoliniGreg too authoritarian? Let's get "Easy like Sunday Morning" Lovie Smith...Each choice is a diametrically opposite coaching style to the previous coach without much thought about the long-term direction of the team in mind...In other words, their hires have more to do with quelling the rising dissatisfaction of fans than the health of the club. IMO that is where the Buc fans dissatisfaction should be focused...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

At the risk of sounding like a broken record (younger Red Boarders be like "what's a record?")...Glazers are the root cause of Tampa's ills and here's why...Gruden not a players coach? Let's give 'em a coach that's just as immature as the players (Rah)Raheem not running a tight ship? Let's give 'em Greg MussoliniGreg too authoritarian? Let's get "Easy like Sunday Morning" Lovie Smith...Each choice is a diametrically opposite coaching style to the previous coach without much thought about the long-term direction of the team in mind...In other words, their hires have more to do with quelling the rising dissatisfaction of fans than the health of the club. IMO that is where the Buc fans dissatisfaction should be focused...

the problem with the bucs is the same problem most longterm family businesses facethey get caught in the numbers game, are we making money - does this person fit within the familythese same points i would make except twogruden had to go because he won the power struggle but didn't develop the team, half the team didn't trust him the other half was happy to get a paycheck ( he won the SB with brad johnson but no upcoming qb was ever found on grudens rosters worth a darn - from gradkowski to simms ( who he never wanted) and given the chance to draft aaron rodgers he passed because he didn't see the need- a qb guru didn't see the need to draft a qb)the bottom line is all the bucs need is a football guy running operations, and not necessarily a big name coach just a coach who knows how to do his job. remember we've hired parcells 3 or 4 times and yet he's never coached a down here. in between we got dungy who did a great job.  gruden who won a title, raheem who just didn't have the experience (people can act like 10-6 then 4-0 didn't happen, but it did) and then a good talent spotter who just happened to be batish crazy (and wouldn't make any in game adjustments) to the flatline we have now. get a good football guy and let him run things and bucs fan will have something to cheer about again.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I have seen so many nonsensical posts like this recently.  No body wants to fire coaches every couple years.  It means you are one of the worst teams in the league, which we are and have been.  So you don't have qualify your thoughts with you don't want to fire coaches every 2 years.  We will assume that, let us know if you decide we should start firing coaches every 2 years as policy.  That would be a discussion point.  When you add that thought after stating you think he is doing a bad job, I am left wondering if you would fire him or not.  There are a few people who do seem to want Lovie for another season no matter how poorly we do this season.

No I would not fire him. Can't give a guy a rebuild job, draft a 21 year old QB #1 and then fire him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So, it's wrong to admit that you fooked up the HC hire again? It's okay to keep a coach that hasn't won a game at home in 11 attempts and counting? "We can't keep firing coaches every 2 years" is a strawman argument.

Too early to tell if the Bucs messed up with Lovie. He has a good resume, he's won before. So he's not incapable. I remember in 2013 when Ron Rivera's job was in jeopardy. Now they're about to be in the playoffs for the 3rd year in a row.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Think some are missing the “If” in the article. I would say that if the Bucs lose to the Jags it wouldn’t be a good thing for Lovie and the staff. Right now, I don’t think there’s much if any aspect of the team which seems to be moving towards even respectability. Even some players who’ve been of pretty good quality in the past are underperforming. He won’t be fired midseason but he’s clearly got to right things quick. His situation is not one of being on a message board. There's no I told you so's. There's no hiding when wrong. He has to be right. So if the QB is underperforming, it was his choice no matter who else not connected to the team told anyone anything. If his supposed star WILL isn't playing well it falls on him, etc. etc. etc.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To be honest the biggest reason I want to see Lovie gone, is I’m just tired of the cover 2 scheme and the personnel approach it involves, especially the way Lovie has done it. We have a lot of D-Lineman that look the same (especially in that with the exception of Smith, no one can rush an edge), linebackers that all look the exact same and are asked only to run and hit and seem to do very little disguising, and defensive backs, who all seem miscast in what they are being asked to do. What makes football the best, and most American game, is specialization. Having guys that can do different things, and matchup. I don’t trust Lovie to ever build a secondary that can lock guys up man to man. Maybe given time to get studs at DE, he can come up with a front four that can rush the passer, but that’s a big if, and even then  it seems like the whole rest of the defense is still going to be an unexciting, keep in front of you scheme, because we’re scared to gamble, we’re scared to work every angle we can to win.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Barring a miracle Lovie is gone anyway but I am not sure they fire him mid season. Maybe

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

scf2i.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No I would not fire him. Can't give a guy a rebuild job, draft a 21 year old QB #1 and then fire him.

IMO, a rebuild shouldn't take more than 3 years, and along the way signs of progress must be shown. I acknowledge that Lovie hasn't had the 3 years, but a loss at home to Jacksonville is not progress. Jameis is a rookie, so I'm not gonna hammer him too hard, but Lovie has had 2 offseasons now to get his defense rolling and the results are still pretty putrid. A loss to Jacksonville is pretty damning, no matter how you try to spin it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree with the entire premise of Fab 1 Scott Reynolds.  Bucs defense has improved.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree with the entire premise of Fab 1 Scott Reynolds.  Bucs defense has improved.

Didn't we hear that from the end of last year?  ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn't we hear that from the end of last year?  ::)

Reynolds made the argument in this article that Frazier improved the defense last season and Lovie hasn't done that this season. Thus, the implication was that taking away the play calling of Frazier and Lovie taking control was another series of mistakes by Lovie.But by all metrics they are on pace this season (2015 Bucs defense) to surpass what Frazier did with the 2014 defense at the tail end of last season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

izhp5wG.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup.And the Bucs are still paying for Schiano's salary.  Bucs fans have too many fantasies and should stick to reality for a change.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sdngz.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwhahahaha...that's funny right there...The Bucs have given up the most points in the NFL this season and Bortles just made our D look silly over 300 yds and 4 TDs...that is improvement...in Stupidasfuckastan

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwhahahaha...that's funny right there...The Bucs have given up the most points in the NFL this season and Bortles just made our D look silly over 300 yds and 4 TDs...that is improvement...in Stupidas(censored)astan

You are nerd raging because you are wrong and emotionally devastated the Bucs had a complete team victory yesterday in all phases of the game.Also, let this be a lesson for Scott Reynolds for only looking at one statistical category instead of the entire picture.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bwhahahaha...that's funny right there...The Bucs have given up the most points in the NFL this season and Bortles just made our D look silly over 300 yds and 4 TDs...that is improvement...in Stupidas(censored)astan

You are nerd raging because you are wrong and emotionally devastated the Bucs had a complete team victory yesterday in all phases of the game.Also, let this be a lesson for Scott Reynolds for only looking at one statistical category instead of the entire picture.

"Nerd raging"??? You are a complete and utter buffoon! Why would I be raging after a victory? Just because I'm not running blowing sunshine up everyone's ass about how good this pathetic defense is...doesn't constitute raging. You keep buying the fools gold, bub...Atlanta will tear the D up one side of the field and down the other...and don't look now, but the Eagles are starting to hit their stride.Anyway, I will let you get back on your unicorn and keep spreading the pixie dust...the rest of us fans will continue to discuss the realities of the product on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I love the positivity AllTheWay, but we beat not a very good team and our Lovie led D still looked bad: bad in coverage, bad at tackling, and bad at defending the run.  They won't beat Washington if they play like that, and they'll get blown out by New York, Atlanta, and Philly. The worst part is this pass rush is the best we've had in years (still not great, but better) and our defense still looks bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought his clock management / decision making at the end of the 1st half was fireable

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but we beat not a very good team and our Lovie led D still looked bad: bad in coverage, bad at tackling, and bad at defending the run. 

what exactly do you mean by “bad at defending the run”?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

but we beat not a very good team and our Lovie led D still looked bad: bad in coverage, bad at tackling, and bad at defending the run. 

what exactly do you mean by "bad at defending the run"?

In general this statement is accurate.  They did great against Jax, but this was a tradeoff thinking Bortles wouldn't beat them through the air.300 yards and 4 TDs later he almost did.They still have given up an avg of 3.9ypc so against better respected QB's in the league I would expect a similar performance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jags only rushed it 17 times. The numbers came out looking good, because of the negative plays we created. We still gave up a hand full of good runs in the Jags 17 attempts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reprieve for sure. Has to clean up that secondary but there’s hope. I like hope.Amazing what winning a home game can do for fans. That was a lot of fun yesterday. Let's go from there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like wins but that was fool’s gold…have a nice day

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

SR’s FAB 5: LOVIE SMITH SHOULD BE FIRED IF JAGS BEAT BUCS; WINSTON’S A PLAYMAKER

I'd fire him today anyway.  He's a terrible head coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like wins but that was fool's gold...have a nice day

Some people see it...others don't...sad

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reprieve for sure. Has to clean up that secondary but there's hope. I like hope.Amazing what winning a home game can do for fans. That was a lot of fun yesterday. Let's go from there.

It's been a long time since it was fun to be in Ray Jay.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Reprieve for sure. Has to clean up that secondary but there's hope. I like hope.Amazing what winning a home game can do for fans. That was a lot of fun yesterday. Let's go from there.

Nearly two years and I want MORE!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jags only rushed it 17 times. The numbers came out looking good, because of the negative plays we created. We still gave up a hand full of good runs in the Jags 17 attempts.

16 rushes for 34 yards by their RBs.  and 2 of handfulls of good runs were missed tackles by lavonte on what should have been TFLs.  the numbers came out looking good because they were good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

was told last night it's been 671 days.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn. That's just plain unacceptable. On a side note, it was nice watching that sea of teal pouting on their way out. Especially the broad with the "Space Case" jersey.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn. That's just plain unacceptable. On a side note, it was nice watching that sea of teal pouting on their way out. Especially the broad with the "Space Case" jersey.

I've gotta give props to anyone that will admit to being a Jags fan!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm sure there are quite a few people who say the same about us! Lol!Still, it was nice to see them leaving #146 with their tails tucked!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm sure there are quite a few people who say the same about us! Lol!Still, it was nice to see them leaving #146 with their tails tucked!

Absolutely! But I have to give credit as well. They are obviously not bandwagon fans. Those guys were dedicated enough to travel and support despite their record this year and in the past. They were definitely NOT of the scum variety that shows up with Cowboy gear and live here having never even BEEN to Texas. Or the front running Steeler fans who likewise live here and couldn't find Pittsburgh on a map. THEY bother me most.But the bottom line when it comes to obnoxious visiting fans is the ONLY cure that matter. Buccaneers win and we go home happy and with a little extra glee. LOSING with those types n the stadium as much as the Buccaneers have in recent years is a ROYAL PITA!

Please wait…

Viewing 108 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.