Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 24 reply threads

• Author

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Wow.

QB trade.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Pretty wild trade. Have to say it’s a lot for the Rams but he’s a good qb going to a team with good D. Detroit made out pretty well here to rebuild with.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

2 1sts for Stafford? Texans should get a decade worth of 1sts by this math, but they’ll probably settle for a 2nd rounder and a decent fullback.

• dexmonkey

Participant

Rams have seriously mortgaged their future. they’re not going to have a 1st rounder for 4 years between the Ramsey trade and this one. thats brutal

Detroit wins big in this deal

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by dexmonkey.

• Lawdy

Participant

quick glance at their message boards

lions: love the trade and deal

rams: want the gm fired

• Mic

Participant

They haven’t had a first round pick since 2015 lol

I think the first were more so to take goffs salary

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

Wow. The Rams got fleeced. If they don’t get it done in the next two years, it ain’t getting done for a long time

• m_j

Participant

rams are going all-in now, and if raheem doesn’t screw up that defense they are one of the NFC favorites. do not forget where superbowl takes place next year.

if we draft smart we might stop them :-)

• BucsFan83

Participant

Detroit made out with this trade big time. I like Stafford too. Pretty much gives them a window until Stafford retires. Detroit got the better end of this deal though.

• Roy

Participant

Yes I like Stafford, but I thought he was having back issues. I guess the Rams aren’t worried about his health.

• kenntak

Participant

I think Detroit got a great deal here. I am surprised LA gave up that many picks, I think their personnel decisions over the years are very suspect.

• BucsFan83

Participant

I went back, thought Stafford was older tbh. I was wrong, so in theory the rams now have a 6+ year window if they can keep the rest of their roster intact.

*Edit* – Bottom line is, now I think the deal is comparable. It’s not as lopsided as I thought.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BucsFan83.

• SaskBucs

Participant

The 2 firsts are definitely a lot but Stafford is gonna make the Rams a top 3 NFC team (assuming most of the roster stays intact, not sure of their FA’s). I guess we will see how good Stafford really is, if he is healthy.

Goff helped them to a SB already… tough trade to evaluate right away. If Stafford and the Rams are great and the Lions suck with Goff, which is what we are kind of lead to believe will happen, it’s a decent trade for both.

I am shocked that Stafford isn’t a Colt, that made too much sense to me. In comparing the Bucs to the Colts, ready to win rosters, if we were sitting here today under the impression Brady was retiring in a week, I would have been ok with the Bucs moving 2 firsts for Stafford. Won’t be in a high enough position to draft a QB that could start right away and the FA list is rough! What do the Colts do now?

• m_j

Participant

most analysts agree in one thing: we are finally going to find out how good stafford is. fullstop!

• leeroybuc93

Participant

I think this instantly catapults the Rams into Superbowl contention. That roster is ready to win now and was only being held back by Goff.

The Lions will stay terrible for awhile. This gives them draft capital to rebuild. That timeline matches up with Goff so they can suck with him for awhile and thej move on.

This has to affect the Texans as well. If this is the package for Stafford then I’m not sure there’s a trade for Watson that gives them what they’ll want. There’s only so much a team can realistically give up for any player. I think the Texans are about to find out what that limit is.

• Welsh Buc

Participant

They overpaid for Stafford but that squad is really close. McVay may take him to the next level too.

Interesting. Makes our play offs harder next year that’s for sure.

• Natural Selection

Participant

All of the picks traded by LA wouldn’t fetch a top 5 pick in this draft, imo. Future assets diminish significantly in value and one of the firsts is 3 drafts away. The Rams have been a stable playoff team with young HC/play caller. Anything can happen, but odds are both 1sts wind up in 20s. Not the insane value some are claiming. I think both teams did well for themselves in this trade.

*To me, who “won” completely depends on your current evaluation of Stafford (and Goff tbh). If you think Matt is a top 10ish QB for at least a couple more seasons, it’s a no brainer win for LA.

• KyBucfan51

Participant

The NFL saw how Brady changed the Bucs so Stafford could be the man they need to get them over the hump.

• Welsh Buc

Participant

I get that and you’re not wrong. However, Stafford ain’t Brady.

• KyBucfan51

Participant

I agree he’s not but I wouldn’t say the guy is terrible they got there with Goff I think Stafford can help them a lot in that offense.

• creamsicles

Participant

I just looked at the cap numbers… It’s apparent that the Rams view Goff as trash, but were stuck with him. Cutting him now would have cost them about 95 million in dead cap over the next two years. Trading him cost 37 million in dead cap over the next 2 years… and it appears they’ll potentially save cap space this year with a Stafford restructure. Stafford is contracted to earn 3 million in 2023… I laughed when I saw that.

It appears they were paying the Lions to take Goff’s albatross contract with the picks. I was shocked when I saw what they gave up, but it was more logical after I examined the cap ramifications.

As much as I dislike the deal on the surface, I don’t see how else the Rams stay in Super Bowl contention without this deal… and they’ll still struggle due to their cap hell. They needed to dump Goff (but couldn’t cut him) yet simultaneously upgrade at QB. Since they have no draft capital, their only option was a trade, but they couldn’t afford Watson and no other QB upgrade is coming to mind with an affordable contract and availability.

This really is one of the most fascinating case studies I remember in the ability for bad contracts to potentially destroy a SB contender. If the Rams had top 15 QB play this year, they probably would have played us for the NFC title and would have been favored. Their defense is awesome and their offense has great potential with the proper QB.

Kudos to Detroit for exploiting the unique opportunity. Regime change enabled the ability to perform a true rebuild. Time to dump your bad contracts, dedicate yourself to young players in 2021, and get a high pick for 2022. I encourage you to build from inside out.

It appears the Rams will need to trade a receiver (again) and may get some draft capital for Woods or Cupp.

It’s easy to trash this deal, but I think the more interesting scenario is to find a better option for the Rams that would improve their team and keep them in Super Bowl contention for the next 2-3 seasons… factoring in salary cap realities. This transaction may prove to be their best realistic option.

• RW

Participant

Rams have over $30 million in dead cap next year which is going to hurt. They are also over the cap by $35 million with guys to sign. Tough spot for them.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Both teams shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

• seekpar

Participant

Great post creamsicles. I read today that it reminded some folks of the Osweiler trade in terms of the need to dump a large contract of a QB no longer wanted.

• RudeGuy

Participant

It seems to me Stafford gets injured a lot.

• Bucman

Participant

Stafford is not 2 first and a 3rd better than Goff. They will regret this trade.

• Greattimes

Participant

Now that the Rams have gotten rid of the huge salary drain of Goff, how much are the Eagles going to have to give away to get some team to take Carson Wentz off their hands.

• DilferYoungWilliams

Participant

Rams are fine. Players ar coming to LA

Viewing 24 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.