Wednesday, October 23, 2019

STEVIE

This topic contains 26 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  wolfet Apr. 30, 2017 at 2:37 pm.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author

Buc45
    Participant

Time will tell. Bucs needed a pass rusher. That was a mistake, imo. We will see how well this defense is next season. They played better at the end.

You can’t address every need.   Our offense needed serious help and it got it…Safety was the biggest hole on defense and it was addressed.   After the second round, I did not see that many pass rushers that would even make this team.  They were not going to beat out Spence, Ayers Gholston or even Smith.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

tog
    Participant

Time will tell. Bucs needed a pass rusher. That was a mistake, imo. We will see how well this defense is next season. They played better at the end.

You can’t address every need. Our offense needed serious help and it got it…Safety was the biggest hole on defense and it was addressed. After the second round, I did not see that many pass rushers that would even make this team. They were not going to beat out Spence, Ayers Gholston or even Smith.

I wouldn’t go that far. There were a number of effective edge rushers available (such as Derek Rivers).

I also think the Bucs defense had more holes than the offence. And the biggest hole on offence was at OL (and RB which was kind of addressed).

You don’t draft for need, so not getting a pass rusher or OL doesn’t make this a bad draft (obviously). But the Bucs also had chances at pass rushers, and passed (for various possible reasons).

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

lordnlkon
    Participant

You can’t address every need. Our offense needed serious help and it got it…Safety was the biggest hole on defense and it was addressed. After the second round, I did not see that many pass rushers that would even make this team. They were not going to beat out Spence, Ayers Gholston or even Smith.

I wouldn’t go that far. There were a number of effective edge rushers available (such as Derek Rivers). I also think the Bucs defense had more holes than the offence. And the biggest hole on offence was at OL (and RB which was kind of addressed). You don’t draft for need, so not getting a pass rusher or OL doesn’t make this a bad draft (obviously). But the Bucs also had chances at pass rushers, and passed (for various possible reasons).

You can’t fill every position. Sometimes you have to choose between one or the other. Also it’s obvious that Licht and Koetter feel that the oline is not a need and were comfortable with what we already have.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

nybuccguy
    Participant

I think Matpet moving to C is going to make a huge improvement for the whole offense. Our line was extremely young and injured last year too. I think recovery and development will have our line looking great this year. We have some sleepers with Wester and Gottschalk

+1
    Rating: +1. From 1 vote.
    Please wait...

Jr.3
    Participant

Don’t think teams are gonna be able to run up the middle with Stevie in the line up. Think Stevie makes the team and makes an impact, he want be a strater but he’ll get his reps.

+1
    Rating: 0. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

VirgilCaine
    Participant

I wouldn’t go that far. There were a number of effective edge rushers available (such as Derek Rivers). I also think the Bucs defense had more holes than the offence. And the biggest hole on offence was at OL (and RB which was kind of addressed). You don’t draft for need, so not getting a pass rusher or OL doesn’t make this a bad draft (obviously). But the Bucs also had chances at pass rushers, and passed (for various possible reasons).

You can’t fill every position. Sometimes you have to choose between one or the other. Also it’s obvious that Licht and Koetter feel that the oline is not a need and were comfortable with what we already have.

Part of the fan fallacy is that you can fix everything at once and that players never improve (when they clearly do). Add to this that many (not all) fans view each season as it’s own one and done/end of the world scenario where you win it all or it’s worthless (see fans who start talking about tanking for pucks midseason) and you have a swing for the fences mentality in the off season that is not often shared by coaches and GMs because you can’t build a team that way.

From a GMs perspective, if you have a 2nd round pick invested in a young LT you’re going to give him time to develop. Many fans would’ve cut him and drafted a (worse) LT this draft, even though the quality was way down and there was better value at many other positions

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

Anonymous

It’s not about fixing everything at once. It’s about making the pass rush better.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

Cerious
    Participant

I for one did not think very much of the DE’s outside of the top tier guys. Sure we could have gone DE with the second round pick, but that would have also meant that we didn’t draft a coverage safety. None of our safeties cover very well.

So boom, we take a DE, say Jordan Willis and he becomes a very situational pass rusher because when does he actually get on the field? Spence is our RDE on passing downs, Ayers slides inside and Smith becomes the potential LDE. So Willis replaces Smith? That’s all situational though. He would be a part time player drafted in the second round.

The idea to draft a safety was to get a starter, a full time player. Maybe we drafted the wrong guy with Obi and Josh Jones still on the board, who knows as all those guys outside of the top two players had some blemishes on their profiles. The point is we weren’t going to get a game changing DE who would be a full time player in the second round of ‘this years’ draft. The good thing about the draft is new players at every position come out every year.

It would hard to argue the the strength of this years draft wasn’t at the skill positions. The trench players, OL/DL, were very shallow. QBs were paper thin. While DBs, WRs, RBs and LBs not to mention TEs were deep and wide.

+2
    Rating: +2. From 2 votes.
    Please wait...

bouconagain
    Participant

I for one did not think very much of the DE’s outside of the top tier guys. Sure we could have gone DE with the second round pick, but that would have also meant that we didn’t draft a coverage safety. None of our safeties cover very well.

So boom, we take a DE, say Jordan Willis and he becomes a very situational pass rusher because when does he actually get on the field? Spence is our RDE on passing downs, Ayers slides inside and Smith becomes the potential LDE. So Willis replaces Smith? That’s all situational though. He would be a part time player drafted in the second round.

The idea to draft a safety was to get a starter, a full time player. Maybe we drafted the wrong guy with Obi and Josh Jones still on the board, who knows as all those guys outside of the top two players had some blemishes on their profiles. The point is we weren’t going to get a game changing DE who would be a full time player in the second round of ‘this years’ draft. The good thing about the draft is new players at every position come out every year.

It would hard to argue the the strength of this years draft wasn’t at the skill positions. The trench players, OL/DL, were very shallow. QBs were paper thin. While DBs, WRs, RBs and LBs not to mention TEs were deep and wide.

I think this is a strong take. Strong!

+3
    Rating: +3. From 3 votes.
    Please wait...

The Freeman
    Participant

Hate this pick, two 7th rd picks for a 26 year old rookie! (older than Akeem Spence or William Gholston!)

2nd rd +4th rd + 6th rd + two 7th rd for a safety, a 2 down or backup LB and 26 year old backup NT = D

OJ Howard + Godwin + McNichols = A

+2
    Rating: 0. From 4 votes.
    Please wait...

mpanico
    Participant

I like this pick.  Stevie is the kind of guy you just have to root for.  The guy really loves football.  This video is an insight into the kind of man he is:

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

wolfet
    Participant

If he makes the team and plays a role, it is a successful pick in the 7th.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.