Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• JC5100

Participant

The $8.9M in cap space isn’t nearly enough to bring back Barrett, Gronk and maybe AB and Fournette, not to mention any other FAs they want. It pretty much just covers the rookie pool.

1. Brate release/pay cut- Right now his $6.3M cap hit is 9th in the league for TEs. There’s no way they can carry this number. I would prefer they guarantee his salary at $3M, which would take him down to TE #24. Cap savings = $3.3-6.3M

2. Jensen release/pay cut- His $10M cap hit is #4 in the league. Like Brate, they can’t carry that. They need to try to get this down in the $5-6M range by guaranteeing it. If he says no then I think they have to let him go. Cap savings = $5-10M

3. Release Pinion. Have to go cheap somewhere. Replacing him with a minimum salary saves $2M.

4. Extend Donovan Smith. This is an interesting situation. For all crap he gets, and rightfully so, he was really good last year and lights out in the playoffs. His cap number of $14.3M is #5 in the league for Left Tackles. An extension could get his 2021 cap number somewhere in the $7-8M range. Cap savings = $7M

These moves create between $17M and $25M of cap room. Probably just enough to bring back Barrett, Gronk and one good free agent.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

If we lose shaq the off season will be a massive disappointment.

Could we repeat without him? Sure.

I wouldn’t have tampa as the favorites tho.

• Carey Smith

Participant

I am a little surprised Brate hasn’t been dealt with already. I think we need to extend Smith. Howard cannot be earning what he is either.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Howards in his final year so a restructure isn’t an option.

Would you like to extend him? I sure wouldn’t lol. Great athlete & player. Doesn’t play much.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

He’s unreliable. Unless he plays lights out this year, the Bucs will move on from him.

• mjs020294

Participant

If Godwin signs a long term deal it will probably save $10 million off next years cap.

• JC5100

Participant

Not any incentive for Godwin to that at this point. That’s why I didn’t want them to use the tag on Godwin though. He should have gotten a long term deal with a low 2021 cap hit.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

We need to extend Smith. I think he’d be down instead of waiting to hit the open market and risking injury. Its a great situation all around but the biggest thing is him and Ali are bffs and get to play next each other. Playing next to one of your best friends is something that no other team can do for him.

• ryan24

Participant

There’s no reason at all for Don Smith to sign a long term deal at this point. He’ll get a ton on the open market next season.

The Bucs would need to cut Howard nearly immediately to save anything on the cap. I agree with Jensen however who is the center in that case?

• JC5100

Participant

Howard can’t be released, his 5th year option is guaranteed for injury and he wouldn’t pass a physical for awhile.

There’s plenty of good centers in free agency this year and Bucs could be able to get Creed Humphrey by just moving up a few spots.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Creed would be solid, yes.

Center isnt a need for us, however. Why create a need just to free cap space?

There are better ways especially with Jensen.

They would extend him before they release him, thankfully.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by DEBUCSOWN.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

“There’s no reason at all for Don Smith to sign a long term deal at this point.”

I disagree. He plays a high risk injury position and gets guaranteed $ as well remaining with his boy Ali…yall forget how close those 2 are?

• BucBalla85

Participant

Can’t believe I’m saying it but I trust the staff to do the right thing. They have done a good job managing the roster and I bet brady has his two cents in and will be part of all that. We will get the right guys back.

• seekpar

Participant

Trade OJ for draft capital.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.