Viewing 44 reply threads

• Author

• Defense5599

Blocked

With this draft so deep on defensive talent, Licht might be wise to pick up a couple extra picks here and there. Starting with the first round of the draft, the Giants, who pick 6th, are hot on Dwayne Haskins. If Licht had any balls, he’d fake interest in Haskins to get the Giants to trade up one spot, and pick up at least one extra pick in the process.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Trading back to acquire more draft capital?

Hmm…

Please wait…

• Nobody

Participant

Getting 6 picks between 20 and 75

would be pretty great.

You could potentially come away with a haul like:

Burns (Edge)

Deiter (OG)

Oruwariye (CB)

Willis (DT)

Edwards (RT)

Pratt (ILB)

That would a huge infusion of talent.

Orrr…we could draft Ronald Jones and MJ Stewart!

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

Defense5599
      With this draft so deep on defensive talent, Licht might be wise to pick up a couple extra picks here and there. Starting with the first round of the draft, the Giants, who pick 6th, are hot on Dwayne Haskins. If Licht had any balls, he’d fake interest in Haskins to get the Giants to trade up one spot, and pick up at least one extra pick in the process.
      —-
      The Bucs have gone on record stating that Winston is the starter next year. Also the Buc’s need for OL, Linebacker, and secondary help is a well known fact so I doubt they would fool anyone. That may work after the first round though.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

They don’t have to fake interest in Haskins, or any other QB for that matter.  They just have to threaten to trade the pick to another team.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

They don’t have to fake interest in Haskins, or any other QB for that matter. They just have to threaten to trade the pick to another team.
      _____
      True
      But it also depends on if the top player on your draft board is available at 5 factoring in the chances of not getting him.

Please wait…

• chXmcd

Participant

the big thing is JAX picking right behind NYG because if all QBs are on the board when we are on the clock every teams knows the giants need a QB and makes our pick worth so much more. thats key in this draft and thats assuming neither of these teams get foles or bridgewater.

Please wait…

• BucsBay

Participant

Who is anyone trading up for? I tend to doubt it’s Haskins, and if a top 4 D Lineman is there, we should just take him.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

They don’t have to fake interest in Haskins, or any other QB for that matter. They just have to threaten to trade the pick to another team.

_____

True

But it also depends on if the top player on your draft board is available at 5 factoring in the chances of not getting him.

Who are we trading with in this scenario?  If it’s the Giants and they’re moving up it’s to take a QB.  If it’s Jacksonville and they’re moving up it’s to take a QB.  In those cases even if you move back to #7 you’re still guaranteed a blue chip positional prospect and hopefully you can pick up an early second round pick to nab some of these O-line prospects.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Getting 6 picks between 20 and 75

would be pretty great.

You could potentially come away with a haul like:

Burns (Edge)

Deiter (OG)

Oruwariye (CB)

Willis (DT)

Edwards (RT)

Pratt (ILB)

That would a huge infusion of talent.

Orrr…we could draft Ronald Jones and MJ Stewart!

Would love that haul.

And, man oh man, did Licht screw the pooch last year.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

_____

True

Who are we trading with in this scenario? If it’s the Giants and they’re moving up it’s to take a QB. If it’s Jacksonville and they’re moving up it’s to take a QB. In those cases even if you move back to #7 you’re still guaranteed a blue chip positional prospect and hopefully you can pick up an early second round pick to nab some of these O-line prospects.

Either one.   Although to move up one or two spots, I doubt they’d give up a second rounder.   A third rounder maybe.   And that would be something as there is a lot of second day talent on defense.

Please wait…

• Havok904

Participant

I don’t think there’s a QB in this draft worth that much capital.

It all depends on FA.

Duval could win with Bridgewater.
      Foles is the wildcard.

I’m not sold on Haskins.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

That works if you’re picking 1 or 2. Maybe 3. Not 5. I’m reading reports that the 49ers, who pick 2nd, could look to trade back with a team interested in Haskins. Like the Giants or Jags.

We were fortunate last year with the plethora of top QB prospects to be able to net a trade with Buffalo. But this year is the exact opposite and picking 5 won’t help us much.

Please wait…

• RHBucsFan

Participant

Nothing Licht has done in the draft would lead me to believe he would do well with more picks, less picks, higher picks, lower picks. Nothing.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

_____

True

Yes they can trade down with another team who wants to jump ahead to get Haskins, however I don’t think “stockpile” is the right word.  They might get an extra 2nd or 3rd depending on how far they trade down.  I don’t think you want to trade down too far because you need to land one foundation type player and that will have to be the top half of the first round.

Is Haskins so head and shoulders above Lock, Jones or Murray for the Giants?  If so there could be some jostling for position, but its not going to net a whole cache of picks for the Bucs.

Example 1:  The Giants want to prevent a move up from the Jags, so they trade up one spot with the Bucs.  The Bucs would get a 4th round pick (by the chart) and sacrifice nothing, because the Giants would take Haskins and the Bucs still have the same choices.

Example 2:  The Jags move up to get ahead of the Giants.  The Bucs should get a 3rd round pick for that and give up a late pick.  So that’s not a stockpile, but it is a move-up to get an extra Rd 3 pick.    They may lose one guy on their draft board if the Giants forego the QB pick, so if the Bucs do not have a clear difference between a couple of guys this would make sense.

Example 3:  The Bucs trade down with Denver at 10.  Maybe the Broncos really want Lock or Haskins and are getting nervous.  This would cost Denver a 2nd round pick for the Bucs to move down 5 spots.  If there is a run of 3 QBs from 5 to 10 then the Bucs aren’t losing out too much if they have 2 or 3 guys they are focused on.  And in return a high 2nd round pick could get a nice LB/DE/O-line.

Example 4:  Miami wants to get in on the fun and trades up to 5.  Not likely.  That’s going to cost them a 2nd and a 4th.  If I’m a Miami fan I would not be happy about that move. Better to sit back and see what comes down to you at 13 like Murray or Jones.

So by this time you can see that teams are giving up too much.  No team is going to do you any favors and let you stockpile at their expense, when they are just trading up for Haskins or Lock.  These guys aren’t worth mortgaging the rest of your draft for.  So I think we will pick up one extra pick at most and trade down no further than 10.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Put yourself in the other teams’ shoes like the Dolphins or Redskins.  Do you mortgage much of the rest of your draft for these guys?  Its one thing if you have a future top 10 quarterback.  Nobody is saying these guys are going to be at that level.  Then if they turn out to be the next Ryan Tannehill you basically have cost your team a chance to build, and probably cost yourself a job.   You might as well go out and get a Ryan Fitzpatrick type and use the draft pick on a stud player at another position.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

That works if you’re picking 1 or 2. Maybe 3. Not 5. I’m reading reports that the 49ers, who pick 2nd, could look to trade back with a team interested in Haskins. Like the Giants or Jags.

We were fortunate last year with the plethora of top QB prospects to be able to net a trade with Buffalo. But this year is the exact opposite and picking 5 won’t help us much.

Were people talking about Josh Allen as a blue chip QB prospect in January last year?  Serious question.  I don’t remember, but I doubt it.  He had question marks galore, but teams know they can’t win without a QB, and you have to pay to get one if you aren’t picking in the top 3.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Put yourself in the other teams’ shoes like the Dolphins or Redskins. Do you mortgage much of the rest of your draft for these guys? Its one thing if you have a future top 10 quarterback. Nobody is saying these guys are going to be at that level. Then if they turn out to be the next Ryan Tannehill you basically have cost your team a chance to build, and probably cost yourself a job. You might as well go out and get a Ryan Fitzpatrick type and use the draft pick on a stud player at another position.

Fans say this every year.  And every year teams maneuver themselves up the draft board to select quarterbacks.

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

You’re contradicting yourself.  A trade up to #1 or #2 is expensive, so why would a QB needy team do that for weak QB talent when they can wait for those top teams to take position players?  Then Tampa can hold their pick hostage and sell to the highest bidder, still at a lower cost, when they’re on the clock.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

You’re contradicting yourself. A trade up to #1 or #2 is expensive, so why would a QB needy team do that for weak QB talent when they can wait for those top teams to take position players? Then Tampa can hold their pick hostage and sell to the highest bidder, still at a lower cost, when they’re on the clock.

Because there’s always the threat that a team does in fact jump up to 1 or 2. Happened in 2016 well before the draft occurred. If it doesn’t happen at 1 or 2, it could happen at 3 or 4. You’ve simply labeled 5 as the “magical spot” that teams will look to move up to because it fits your agenda even though it goes against conventional wisdom. The 4 teams in front of the Bucs will be doing the exact same thing, trying to hold the pick hostage. 5 isn’t the spot where a deal will FINALLY happen.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

You’re contradicting yourself. A trade up to #1 or #2 is expensive, so why would a QB needy team do that for weak QB talent when they can wait for those top teams to take position players? Then Tampa can hold their pick hostage and sell to the highest bidder, still at a lower cost, when they’re on the clock.

That’s my whole point.   None of the teams ahead of Tampa need QBs.   Let them make their picks, then start fielding calls for teams who want to trade up.   If you trade up with the Giants, and THEN the Jags, you pick up at least two third rounders.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

None of the teams ahead of Tampa need QBs…

So, what would stop said teams (#1-#4) from trading down?

Please wait…

• Graham

Participant

Depends what offer you’re willing to take in those spots.  Typically when you’re picking that high you’re looking to be blown away by a deal.  If you’re #1 through #5 you have to drop back to #6, #7, #10, #11, #13, or #15.  Those are the teams looking like they need QB’s.  It’s also very rare for a team picking in the top 5 to want to drop out of the top 10 overall.  That’s a big/bold move.

Point is, regardless of whether or not it reinforces my agenda, Tampa is the farthest down the draft order before the QB need hits.  Therefore, they are the “cheapest” trade option for anyone looking to move up.

If these QB’s aren’t as highly touted as years past these QB needy teams may not be as thrilled with the cost of moving to the #1 or #2 pick in the draft to take a QB when they could just move to #5 ahead of NY and Jax for the mere cost of a 2nd round pick+.

OR, if teams decide they DO want to move into the top 4 to draft QBs, even better, as a blue chip position prospect will fall in Tampa’s lap at #5.

They’re in a great spot in this draft.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

This is exactly what I’m trying to get Graham to understand. Teams 1-4 will most definitely be fielding calls for their pick. Especially if the thought is that there’s only 1 QB worth a high pick. It doesn’t matter how good they think he is. Lack of options makes his value priceless for teams who don’t have a QB.

Please wait…

• BucsBay

Participant

Josh Allen is a fantastic thrower and athlete. Haskins is not. Next year’s QB class will be stacked.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

What would stop the top three is that teams won’t give up enough loot to move up that far.  If you are Jax would you give up your a 2nd and 3rd/4th to move up from 7 to 3? Thats basically the price.   It takes two to tango, and I don’t see anyone paying the hefty price to move up to those top three, and I don’t see any of the top three giving discounts to drop down.  When it comes to pick 4 I can see that as a possible spot to move up with Oakland, but my gut tells me Gruden will want to pick there and not move down.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

What would stop the top three is that teams won’t give up enough loot to move up that far. If you are Jax would you give up your a 2nd and 3rd/4th to move up from 7 to 3? Thats basically the price. It takes two to tango, and I don’t see anyone paying the hefty price to move up to those top three, and I don’t see any of the top three giving discounts to drop down. When it comes to pick 4 I can see that as a possible spot to move up with Oakland, but my gut tells me Gruden will want to pick there and not move down.

What makes this year any different? Teams pay hefty prices for QBs every draft. The Chiefs and Texans didn’t have 1st round picks last year because they paid hefty prices for QBs the prior draft. Hefty price is what you pay when you need a QB and have to trade up for him.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

What would stop the top three is that teams won’t give up enough loot to move up that far. If you are Jax would you give up your a 2nd and 3rd/4th to move up from 7 to 3? Thats basically the price. It takes two to tango, and I don’t see anyone paying the hefty price to move up to those top three, and I don’t see any of the top three giving discounts to drop down. When it comes to pick 4 I can see that as a possible spot to move up with Oakland, but my gut tells me Gruden will want to pick there and not move down.

What makes this year any different? Teams pay hefty prices for QBs every draft. The Chiefs and Texans didn’t have 1st round picks last year because they paid hefty prices for QBs the prior draft. Hefty price is what you pay when you need a QB and have to trade up for him.

I don’t know. I’m just a fan.  But lets say you are Jacksonville at 7 and I am the Jets at 3. You tell me what you can give me for the move up, and I’ll tell you if I’ll do it.

Please wait…

• RudeGuy

Participant

Adding additional picks would be a good thing due to the fact Arians runs 2 practices at the same time during camp. They can get really good looks at these guys.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing Licht has done in the draft would lead me to believe he would do well with more picks, less picks, higher picks, lower picks. Nothing.

Thought the same thing. Wonder if Coach Risk-it-Biscuit can help him out.

Please wait…

• BP1

Participant

Thought the same thing. Wonder if Coach Risk-it-Biscuit can help him out.

I’m sure he will have a big say in who they draft.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

This is exactly what I’m trying to get Graham to understand. Teams 1-4 will most definitely be fielding calls for their pick. Especially if the thought is that there’s only 1 QB worth a high pick. It doesn’t matter how good they think he is. Lack of options makes his value priceless for teams who don’t have a QB.

Exactly. I’ve, more or less, said the same thing.

We’ve seen it multiple times.

QB’s get overvalued at times, especially when it’s a weak class.

If JAX and NYG are both enamored with a particular guy (let’s aay Haskins) they aren’t making a move to #5.

They are going to get as close to #1 or #2 as they can.

Best case scenario for a trade back is a few QB’s killing their pro day, combine, etc

But, even then, I wouldn’t count on it.

Our opportunity was last year, Licht was able to make the right move, but completely fucked it up from there.

Please wait…

• Gareth

Participant

If Quinnen and John Allen are gone at 5 trade down with Denver. Trade our first and 5th rounders for picks 10 41 and 71

10 -Devin White

39- Amani Oruwariye

41- Chris Lindstrom

70- Tytus Howard

71- Jalen Jelks

100- Rodney Anderson

Thoughts?

If the top 4 teams want to trade down and leave either Williams or Allen on the board of love to see them in pewter

Please wait…

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

I can’t wait for Jason to trade back and draft a poor mans nickle CB like Hargreaves or trade back and skip over the rookie All-Pro defensive player of the year like Derwin James.  That would be fun

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

or trade back and skip over the rookie All-Pro defensive player of the year like Derwin James. That would be fun

I’m more impressed with how he absolutely butchered the 2nd round.

While I liked Derwin, I still think Vea will be a stud.

But, after that pick, man…

Please wait…

• Do_it_Big_Bucs

Participant

Hopefully BA will have a huge say in who we draft.  Jason is good with trades and terrible with picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t wait for Jason to trade back and draft a poor mans nickle CB like Hargreaves or trade back and skip over the rookie All-Pro defensive player of the year like Derwin James. That would be fun.

That’s what they do.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

If JAX and NYG are both enamored with a particular guy (let’s aay Haskins) they aren’t making a move to #5.

Best case scenario for a trade back is a few QB’s killing their pro day, combine, etc

Our opportunity was last year, Licht was able to make the right move, but completely fucked it up from there.

In 2013 the only quarterback taken was EJ Manuel at 16.    In 2014 Bortles went at #3 and Manziel at 22 and Bridgewater at the end of the round.  It depends on where these QBs are rated.  Somebody could do something stupid, but don’t bet on it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Somebody could do something stupid, but don’t bet on it.

Heard Gruden talking up Murray……hope he’ll pull a few bonehead moves. Any WRs from Appalachian State University?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/01/23/is-kyler-murray-too-short-for-the-nfl-jon-gruden-doesnt-think-so/

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/how-bucs-whiffed-on-desean-jackson-nine-years-ago-and-took-the-wrong-d-jax/2316234

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Last year we effed it up by winning the last game on a last minute TD pass.  We would have drafted Nelson which probably would have changed our season.  This year it was the Falcons who screwed up, and the Bucs will have a better position because of it.

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Last year we effed it up by winning the last game on a last minute TD pass…
      We didn’t “eff” anything up by winning the Saints game to close out ’17 season.
      We were in the PERFECT spot for a trade down, maneuvered said trade, then proceeded to shit the bed as many times as possible.
      We could’ve completely overhauled the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary.
      Last year’s draft was another huge whiff on Licht’s resume.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

Any assessment of a rookie class after 1 season should be taken with a grain of salt. Same can be said after 2 seasons honestly.

Please wait…

• JamesButabi

Participant

Pick 5 is a great spot to be in whether you pick your board or trade down even if for limited capital increase.

You really want to increase your draft capital you make trades and let players sign elsewhere instead of overpaying them.  This would be a good year to make the tough decisions.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

Last year we effed it up by winning the last game on a last minute TD pass…
      We didn’t “eff” anything up by winning the Saints game to close out ’17 season.
      We were in the PERFECT spot for a trade down, maneuvered said trade, then proceeded to shit the bed as many times as possible.
      We could’ve completely overhauled the defensive side of the ball, specifically the secondary.
      Last year’s draft was another huge whiff on Licht’s resume.

Last year was not a “whiff” as you call it.  That means total fail.  I think Vea was a good pick.  Nelson would have been a better pick.    Only one pick was a total fail.  The rest the jury is still out because… they were rookies.  If any team thinks you are going to save your team by installing a bunch of rookies they will be disappointed.  But Nelson would have tilted the balance because he would have shored up the O-line enough to give the offense some balance in the 4th quarter at a time when the passing game was stumbling and allowed us to win a couple more games in the middle of the season.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

From PFW today Mark Schofield: What we learned on tape about the Senior Bowl quarterbacks

...Of course, your intrepid evaluator kept his ears to the grindstone to pick up any quarterback buzz, and the general theme that seems to be emerging is this: Lock and Jones might very well be first round picks, but most evaluators, if forced to look at them in a vacuum, might consider them more second round quarterbacks. The issue is one of need.

With teams near the top of the draft such as the New York Giants, Jacksonville Jaguars and Denver Broncos needing a QB, odds are that these guys will find homes early in the draft. In a quarterback thirsty league, teams will crawl through the desert to any mirage on the horizon, and upon finding only sand, they might still drink the sand, struggling to know the difference…

So its one thing for the QB hungry teams to reach with their own pick for a QB out of desperation, but to trade away half your draft to move up to a top 3 pick just to get a Round 2 caliber QB?  I don’t think that’s going to happen.  Maybe Haskins will be rated that highly, but it doesn’t sound like the other candidates will be worth trading up for.

Please wait…

Viewing 44 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.