Viewing 2 reply threads

• Author

• nitey

Participant

Found this article by Leo Howell (who is not my favorite blogger BTW) where he reviews the offensive tackle position currently on the Bucs. However, in this case, I mostly agree with his review. Where he falls a bit short is factoring in the mobility of the quarterback in the equation. McCown has pretty good mobility and has the experience to handle the pressure that he’ll see from edge rushers and that’s going to make the tackle position look better. Last season, IMO Penn looked worse than he probably was because Glennon wasn’t as mobile or strong as Freeman was and didn’t have enough experience to avoid the edge pressure. Would really like to see Licht pick up a more experienced swing tackle before the season starts. If we open with Pamphile as the #1 reserve, I’ll feel that Warhop must feel reasonably confident in him and Meredith can play RT in a pinch if necessary.Link: http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/5/25/5750274/buccaneers-position-preview-assessing-the-depth-chart-at-tackleJust throw'n it out there...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What gets forgotten is the vet Ts have another year of NFL experience, and should be smarter for it. While I don’t see any of them going to the Pro Bowl soon, the cupboard is not as bare as some think. At least going forward, we are much stronger than last season. I would also factor in the leadership improvement the O’line is getting with the signing of C Evan Dietrich-Smith.     And, Tedford's offensive system should function much more consistantly behind a less-than elite O'line. Glennon is more mobile than many think, as he showed on the few rollouts called by then-OC Mike Sullivan. His problem, IMO, was recognizing the explosiveness of many edge rushers. He often waited too long to give himself time to avoid rushers, as Sullivan's infamous pass patterns were slow to develop. Tedford's system is supposedly more based on quicker patterns, so QB escapeablilty is much less an issue. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One of the main knocks on Collins in the article that Leo linked was that Cincy’s offense was LT friendly because of quick passes and such. From everything we’ve heard Tedford’s O should be similar and there should be a lot of quick passes and such that should make life easier for all our linemen.

Please wait…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.