Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• BucsBay

Participant

Watching the game Monday, just before Verner’s pick 6, I came to the opinion that the Bucs should flip flop sides for Verner and Banks. The Bengals were clearly picking on Verner with AJ Green, because Verner doesn’t have the length and speed to really play tight coverage. Now Green did let a ball clunk off of his hands and Verner deserves some credit for that (mostly feisty play on the earlier throws). Almost all QB's are right handed, so it makes sense for their best receiver to play on the right a lot too so the throw can be easier. When you are facing guys like OBJ, Dez Bryant, Julio Jones and the list goes on on, I don't believe that you can get by for that long not having a top notch man to man CB playing on the left side. There was a reason that Kelly at LCB and Barber at RCB nickel worked so well back in the day. Obviously Ronde's abilities were a big part of it, but Kelly was the better man to man corner by far. I think right now Banks is the better man to man corner by far, and I hope there is a plan in place to switch them if teams begin to expose Verner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

interesting point

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they are pressing at the line, then yeah I can see Banks better than Verner.  But straight up m2m Banks is inferior to Verner because he lacks the deep speed needed to keep up with a lot of WR’s.

Please wait…

• caso03

Participant

Idk if this is a testament to Banks, or maybe it was just the Bengals trying to get the ball to AJ Green, or them just looking dismal on offense. But I didn’t notice Banks all game, which is a good thing for a CB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Teams tend to be right-handed running the ball, but is that true about passing? I’m not saying you are wrong, but I’d like to see some evidence beyond AJ Green and Dalton.Plus, when I was watching Banks play, he was dropping into zone as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they are pressing at the line, then yeah I can see Banks better than Verner.  But straight up m2m Banks is inferior to Verner because he lacks the deep speed needed to keep up with a lot of WR's.

Disagree vehemently. I agree with the OP's sentiment here. Verner is great against the run but he gets absolutely TORCHED consistently. Even on his pick 6, he got ABUSED by Green on that route and somehow managed to be 8 yards away on a 6 yard curl.Verner low key kind of blows in coverage while I rarely even see teams test Banks on the other side. Banks has shown glimpses of being a legitimate shut down corner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

have they switched sides previously?  some CBs are just more comfortable on one side. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Picking on Verner?  Newsflash… OCs design plays to get the ball to their number 1 WR AJ green gets targets no matter who is in front of him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they are pressing at the line, then yeah I can see Banks better than Verner.  But straight up m2m Banks is inferior to Verner because he lacks the deep speed needed to keep up with a lot of WR's.

Disagree vehemently. I agree with the OP's sentiment here. Verner is great against the run but he gets absolutely TORCHED consistently. Even on his pick 6, he got ABUSED by Green on that route and somehow managed to be 8 yards away on a 6 yard curl.Verner low key kind of blows in coverage while I rarely even see teams test Banks on the other side. Banks has shown glimpses of being a legitimate shut down corner.

Agree.Banks is getting better by the minute. And IF he can have another outting against another elite wr like cj, i think most of us will have no choice but to agree.

Please wait…

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.