Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Tampa Bay Bucs: 2014 Playoff Contenders?By Joe Tressa  April 13, 2014 contend_zps097f29f9.jpgMany NFL teams had impressive offseason signings. Many teams also let some big-name players go, such as the Eagles with wide receiver Desean Jackson and the Titans releasing running back Chris Johnson. However, one team has gone a bit under the radar and made some essential signings that may improve their chances to contend in this upcoming NFL regular season.That team is the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. The Bucs had a disappointing season in which their star player, running back Doug Martin, only played a few games before being placed on injured reserve and missing the rest of the season. The Bucs’ 2013 season revolved around quarterback Josh Freeman’s release from the team, which got a lot of media attention. The team relied on rookie quarterback Mike Glennon to take the reigns as starter. The NC State alum had a decent season, but nothing extraordinary. The Bucs finished the season at 4-12, tied for last in the NFC South division.A team that had a solid defense in 2013 only added to that this offseason. Even though they lost star cornerback Darrelle Revis, the team made up for his loss with some big signings. They signed former Tennessee Titan cornerback Alterraun Verner to a four-year deal.  They then made another free agency splash by signing former Cincinnati Bengal defensive end, Michael Johnson to a five-year deal. These two defensive starts could help the Bucs’ defense mightily in 2014. The team also signed cornerbacks Major Wright and Mike Jenkins to help out their secondary.Possibly the biggest free agent that the Bucs signed in the offseason was, in fact, quarterback Josh McCown, formerly of the Chicago Bears. McCown took over for the injured Jay Cutler in the middle of the season and did a suitable job. After Cutler returned from his injury, the Bears kicked McCown to the curb and decided to go back to Cutler to start the rest of the season. With this signing, the Bucs have an experienced quarterback who can definitely play the position well.The Bucs also agreed to terms with a new head coach, Lovie Smith. They will also have a new look this season, as they debuted their new uniforms a few months ago. This team has done everything they need to do to compete in a tough NFC South division. Doug Martin will be ready to go for the start of the season and wide receiver Vincent Jackson is one of the top players at his position in the league. Keep an eye on this team when September comes because they may be a force to be reckoned with.http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/tampa_bay_bucs_2014_playoff_contenders/16261888?linksrc=story_team_tampa_bay_buccaneers_auto_module_head_16261888

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the ideology they’re implementing regarding the building of the team.Strong defense and a vet qb that hopefully keeps balling. A lot of "ifs" in there, but that same thought pattern has won tampa a trophy before.Although, I still believe the start of this season will be rough as everyone new settles in, and that they should invest in a qb for the future while they can.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I will be surprised if we come out and start the season hot. There should be some growing pains. There seems to be a legit interest in a QB of the future. Not buying that it’s only a smokescreen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I will be surprised if we come out and start the season hot. There should be some growing pains. There seems to be a legit interest in a QB of the future. Not buying that it's only a smokescreen.

That's because you've just been smokescreened.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I will be surprised if we come out and start the season hot. There should be some growing pains. There seems to be a legit interest in a QB of the future. Not buying that it's only a smokescreen.

That's because you've just been smokescreened.

+1

Please wait…

• majbodoh

Participant

I’m not sure we are good enough [yet] to win the division. A wild card spot is a possibility, but when you look out west with the 49ers, Cardinals and Seahawks; up North with the Bears, Lions and Packers; then east with the Cowboys, Eagles and Redskins; and then here in the south with the Saints, Falcons, Panthers and us – it is going to be a hell of a fight to secure a wild card berth.It's possible, and I hope that we do return to the play offs. But I think this season will be a development season to set the tone for future success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We need much better offensive line play, better QB play and for the love of all things, our receivers to break a few tackles and get some extra yardage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they have a great draft then maybe.This season I will expect the worst and hope for the best.I am tired of being let down by this team.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

If our division wasn’t that competitive I would definitely say yes. This team with a good draft will have enough talent to make it but can they put it together to create wins is the question.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No………….  MaybeWith a great draft and a real scheme on Offense and Defense we are at best a 8/8 team in 2014.Will we be a improved team?  YesThere will still be holes in our roster this year, will take two years of FA and the Draft to make our team competitive in our division.The upcoming schedule and the Gelling of the new squad, new coaching plus the injuries that face every club, 2015 is our best chance of making the playoffs.Hope I'm wrong, our Defense needs to finish top 5, and new  Offense finishes top 15 to have a chance this year.Or maybe this year 8/8 gets us a wildcard.....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’ll probably start slow on offense but I think our defense can come out swinging. I expect the offensive line to take a bit to gel and our passing game will take some time to come together. Hopefully we solidify the middle of our line because we’ll need our running game. Hopefully our first few games aren’t too bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m confident Tedford will have an offense that can put some points on the board as long as Lovie leaves him alone and doesn’t Dungy-ize him.Draft him some wrs too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They will contend as much as a 8-8/9-7 team contends. Might slightly be in the WC hunt for a few weeks. Team will be competitive with everyone, but just don’t see a playoff team just yet.

Please wait…

• BConnell88

Participant

Only if they draft Manziel.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Only if they draft Manziel.

Someone buy this guy a beer.In all seriousness, playoffs would be a possibility imo.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.