Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 28 reply threads

• Author

• Greattimes

Participant

OK, I know that this is a Buc forum, but the Tampa bay rays just clinched the American League East. They are also 5 games up on the Houston Astros for the best record in the American League with 7 games remaining. One more game hosting Miami then 3 at Houston and the Rays finish the season with 3 games at the Yankees.

• This topic was modified 2 months ago by Greattimes.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Imagine if they had Glasnow and the other good pitchers they lost to injuries… Also Stu Sternberg is a cheap piece of shit

• ratiffshabang

Participant

Kevin Cash is the best manager in baseball. No one else could’ve won the AL East with this roster. As much of a die hard Rays fan as I am, I can’t see them winning it all with this pitching…..if somehow they find a way, then Cash deserves his Hall of Fame spot immediately concluding game 7.

• seekpar

Participant

Agree with all including the AO owner. The Dodgers will get their twofer.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Lovin my Yankees whooping the red sox!

Sweep coming today!!

We want our revenge from last year

Go Yankees!

• FLASH

Participant

Lovin my Yankees whooping the red sox!

Sweep coming today!!

We want our revenge from last year

Go Yankees!

Best part is one will have to eat the other between Boston and NY. The Rays can eat what is left. GO RAYS!

• seekpar

Participant

FUCK the Yankees! Move back to NY you putz.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Lol never lived in NY.

Born & raised in Michigan in fact.

Currently in NJ.

Was at the 1996 world series clinching game.

Rays are cute but will never be the Bronx Bombers!

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by DEBUCSOWN.

• Greattimes

Participant

I second that motion!

• Greattimes

Participant

Currently in NJ.

That, in many ways, is worse that living in NY.

• Greattimes

Participant

The Tampa Bay rays just beat Miami 3-2. They are 5 games up on the Astros with 6 games to play. The game between the A’s and Houston is just underway.
      The Rays only need to beat the Astros 1 out of 3 games to clinch the best record in the American League.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Also Stu Sternberg is a cheap piece of shit

This is a common refrain amongst the simpletons, but the organization spends in parallel with their fan support. The people of St. Pete doesn’t support that team like they should. Attendance is regularly among the lowest in the league, even when they win. That franchise is never going to spend like the teams from New York, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc., and expecting otherwise is ignorant.

Also, only a fool would spend more money when you already have the best team in your league for two years and row. The Rays are the smartest organization in all of baseball, and possibly all of sports. That starts with the cheap piece of shit owner.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Currently in NJ.

That, in many ways, is worse that living in NY.

No doubt lmao.

Both states are absurdly expensive.

Slowest economic growth in the country because of it.

Bought my first house here last year so I’ll be here for awhile.

• Greattimes

Participant

The Oakland A’s just beat the Astros 4-3.
      Rays now have a 6 game lead on the Astro’s with 6 games to play.
      Go Rays. I want a World Championship.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Also Stu Sternberg is a cheap piece of shit

This is a common refrain amongst the simpletons, but the organization spends in parallel with their fan support. The people of St. Pete doesn’t support that team like they should. Attendance is regularly among the lowest in the league, even when they win. That franchise is never going to spend like the teams from New York, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc., and expecting otherwise is ignorant.

Also, only a fool would spend more money when you already have the best team in your league for two years and row. The Rays are the smartest organization in all of baseball, and possibly all of sports. That starts with the cheap piece of shit owner.

I’m not talking about what he spends on players numb nuts. Even though he’s a cheap ass in that department also, MLB has revenue sharing which covers most of the cost of what he spends on the roster alone. Then the lucrative TV deal the team got worth 1.23 billion. Stop acting like he has to pinch pennies because of poor attendance when the team rakes in cash regardless.

I was talking about the stadium where he’s only wiling to pay 150M for a billion dollar stadium, Stu wants the taxpayer to build him a stadium then give up property taxes and land for half the product with him wanting half the season in Montreal, double dipping and he’s a cheap ass. Tropicana is horribly located, the Rays are dead last in population with a 30-mile radius of their ballpark. No shit St. Pete sucks to be home of the Rays, but St. Pete is not the reason why they are not moving to Tampa, Stu is, if you think otherwise you are a moron.

• RudeGuy

Participant

Do it Rays. Bring another championship to the Tampa Bay area. The fans are loving it.

• creamsicles

Participant

Big Rays fan, but I struggle to see how they’ll win a playoff series. We’re relying on 3 rookie starting pitchers… that’s a big ask. The Glasnow injury was devastating, I think the Morton release was a mistake.

Regardless, hope springs eternal 😀.

• Kermit56

Participant

I can’t see them winning it all with this pitching…..

I’m not as worried about the pitching as I am with all the strike outs. I just don’t think you can win a playoff series striking out as much as the Rays do.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by Kermit56.

• Biggs3535

Participant

I was talking about the stadium where he’s only wiling to pay 150M for a billion dollar stadium

$150M? Is that all? Well, you’ve won me over. He is one cheap ass mf’er.

If you want to argue the organization should contribute more to their stadium, you’ll get no argument from me. But cheap? That’s a simpleton’s conclusion. It’s still a business, and that business negotiates the best deal for them. That’s how it works

No shit St. Pete sucks to be home of the Rays, but St. Pete is not the reason why they are not moving to Tampa, Stu is, if you think otherwise you are a moron.

St. Pete actually is the reason. If the team was supported there, there would be no reason to look elsewhere. The team is 29th out of 30 MLB teams in value, even though they’ve put a quality product on the field pretty routinely with Sternberg as the owner.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

The city of St Pete allowed the Rays to look for venue relocation in Tampa *while under contract* with them… a major accommodation by St Pete, they did their part in trying to keep the team in the region and in the process opened the door for forfeiture of the team to Tampa, what else do you want St Pete to do, they admitted that the city cant support the team in that move alone. So to fault them why there has been no move to Tampa is asinine. Stu got way too greedy and Tampa said go fuck yourself and rightfully so because of the shit he tried to pull with the 150M.

• TCB2W!

Participant

The city of St Pete allowed the Rays to look for venue relocation in Tampa *while under contract* with them… a major accommodation by St Pete, they did their part in trying to keep the team in the region and in the process opened the door for forfeiture of the team to Tampa, what else do you want St Pete to do, they admitted that the city cant support the team in that move alone. So to fault them why there has been no move to Tampa is asinine. Stu got way too greedy and Tampa said go fuck yourself and rightfully so because of the shit he tried to pull with the 150M.

And to your point, the Rays in 2019 had a salary of $64,178,722 per spotrac. “Rays received somewhere in the $50MM-$60MM range each year from 2017-19.” via revenue sharing. Sure, he has to pay people in the organization, but his payroll for the team is effectively covered with the revenue sharing. Even with low attendance, he is pocketing as much money as he can just like Hugh Culverhouse. That’s why I gave up on them years ago.

• Greattimes

Participant

Back in the early to mid 80’s, both ST Pete and Tampa had organizations vying for a MLB team. The Tampa group backed out when there was a handshake agreement that if ST Pete got a team the stadium would be built at the dog track on Gandy Blvd. That was a somewhat central location for Tampa, ST Pete and Clearwater. It was after ST Pete was awarded a franchise that ST Pete decided to build the stadium in downtown ST Pete. I believe that attendance figures would have been much improved if the stadium would have been built at the dog track location.

• Biggs3535

Participant

So to fault them why there has been no move to Tampa is asinine.

Since nobody here has faulted St. Pete for the Rays not moving to Tampa, I’d agree.

However, the support – or lack thereof – the team receives in St. Pete is a great reason why the team was/is looking to move to Tampa or someplace else. That’s the argument that’s been put forth.

Even with low attendance, he is pocketing as much money as he can just like Hugh Culverhouse. That’s why I gave up on them years ago.

I know, right? Remember all of those winning teams Hugh Culverhouse put on the field? Like the Rays, his organization was well-respected around the league.

You sound like one of the many simpletons that don’t support the team in St. Pete for dumbass reasons.

• seekpar

Participant

We live in Largo near the beach and we’d love to support the Rays, but…

there are too many games to consistently support unless you’re filthy rich
      the tickets are way over-priced
      the concessions are sky-high
      try driving down 275 for a weeknight game
      can’t park anywhere near the ballpark
      can’t walk around the ballpark easily
      the ballpark is indoors with no ambiance of an outdoor ballpark

• TCB2W!

Participant

So to fault them why there has been no move to Tampa is asinine.

Since nobody here has faulted St. Pete for the Rays not moving to Tampa, I’d agree.

However, the support – or lack thereof – the team receives in St. Pete is a great reason why the team was/is looking to move to Tampa or someplace else. That’s the argument that’s been put forth.

Even with low attendance, he is pocketing as much money as he can just like Hugh Culverhouse. That’s why I gave up on them years ago.

I know, right? Remember all of those winning teams Hugh Culverhouse put on the field? Like the Rays, his organization was well-respected around the league.

You sound like one of the many simpletons that don’t support the team in St. Pete for dumbass reasons.

Look, I am a casual fan of baseball. I am obsessed with football and hockey. I enjoy basketball and soccer. I can take or leave baseball. I grew up watching the Braves play. I watched nearly every game because both my parents loved baseball. If I had as much passion for baseball as football, I would still watch them. Calling me a simpleton because I am a fair weather fan of a sport I never loved is a bit much.

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Biggs really came in here without a clue. Leave it to that clown to brown nose for a billionaire and being completely ignorant on the subject. This is why I usually don’t reply to idiots.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Look, I am a casual fan of baseball.

Agreed, which was kinda my point. Your take was the take of a casual fan.

I expected you haters to be bashing Sternberg wanting to put his “Sister City” signs up during the playoff run, which I would have agreed 100% was stupid. Don’t do that shit during the 2021 season where your team has the best record in the AL and a decent chance to return to the World Series in consecutive seasons. Glad they changed their minds on that horseshit, after getting heat on it.

• Greattimes

Participant

Getting back to actual baseball, the Rays just beat the Astros 7-0 to clinch the best record in the American League. Go Ray’s, I want a world championship.

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.