Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• Madman

Participant

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Bucs coach Dirk Koetter said after the draft that he wants Tampa Bay to be known as a “bad-ass team.” This weekend helped his cause.

Tight end O.J. Howard should transform the Bucs’ offense. As an in-line tight end who can block when asked, Howard is going to make the Bucs more difficult to matchup with. Pity the defense that gets caught with the wrong defenders on the field when the Bucs go into a hurry up with Mike Evans, DeSean Jackson and Howard out there at the same time.

Jameis Winston’s dream offseason continued when the Bucs selected wide receiver Chris Godwin (Round 3) and Boise State running back Jeremy McNichols (Round 5). Godwin is known for his route-running, and McNichols is a great pass catcher in the mold of his new teammate and fellow Boise State alum Doug Martin.

The Bucs’ defense remains a concern and could really use safety Justin Evans (Round 2) and inside linebacker Kendell Beckwith (Round 3) to contribute right away. At best, this Bucs defense can be average. General manager Jason Licht is taking a similar approach to his old boss Bill Belichick: Load up on offense, support your franchise quarterback with weapons and figure out a way to make the defense good enough.

Get ready to see plenty of this bad ass team on “Hard Knocks” and then during a run to the playoffs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000804945/article/teams-that-improved-the-most-after-the-2017-nfl-draft

• NotDeadYet

Participant

“McNichols is a great pass catcher in the mold of his new teammate and fellow Boise State alum Doug Martin.” got me; never been that impressed with Doug as a receiver… Having been a WR, very hopeful McNichols still is!

• Madman

Participant

Agree, the Doug Martin part was odd.

Bucs are clearly getting recognized as a team on the rise and this draft certainly helped. Can’t wait to see ME, Djax, Godwin, and OJ out there!

• NotDeadYet

Participant

Since the article included the Patriots as one of the five, it should’ve been titled “Most improved teams since the 2017 Super Bowl”.

There is a regular Arms Race going on between the Bucs and Titans with this draft. We take O.J. Howard and Chris Godwin.  They take Corey Davis, Taywan Taylor, and Jonnu Smith. All of them good players likely to make rosters.

Among QBs, have the top 2 picks from the same draft ever met in a Super Bowl? That would be great; hope to see that!

• Crazy Legs

Participant

“McNichols is a great pass catcher in the mold of his new teammate and fellow Boise State alum Doug Martin.” got me; never been that impressed with Doug as a receiver… Having been a WR, very hopeful McNichols still is!

He think the sentence was poorly written. I think what he meant to say was that “McNichols is a player in the mold of Doug Martin. He’s also a terrific pass catcher.”

Doug, as we know, can’t catch a cold.

Certified Redboard GM
      Mediocrity is the sincerest form of Imitation that greatness can pay to flattery

• m_j

Participant

we improved on offense, we’re rock solid there, only thing left is OL. that’s what these analysts see!

but on defense …. god help us! we need few more puzzles for the playoffs!

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

we improved on offense, we’re rock solid there, only thing left is OL. that’s what these analysts see! but on defense …. god help us! we need few more puzzles for the playoffs!

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

We have the skill positions. Now, it’s time to build the trenches and solidify the defense. I think next season’s FA and draft will do just that.

• garfield

Participant

Martin was a good receiving back coming out and his first season, but inexplicably fell off a cliff after that for whatever reason catching the ball.

• garfield

Participant

Martin was a good receiving back coming out and his first season, but inexplicably fell off a cliff after that for whatever reason catching the ball.

• m_j

Participant

we improved on offense, we’re rock solid there, only thing left is OL. that’s what these analysts see! but on defense …. god help us! we need few more puzzles for the playoffs!

Rome wasn’t built in a day. We have the skill positions. Now, it’s time to build the trenches and solidify the defense. I think next season’s FA and draft will do just that.

yepp, but another season without playoffs will be hard to swallow.

but I am with you, we need one more offseason

• nitey

Participant

On paper at least, I think we have a playoff caliber offense with pretty decent depth.

On defense, I think we improved with Baker and Wilcox, but not really sure if Evans makes us better until he can prove he’s a better tackler than he shows on film. Of course our biggest improvement on defense will come from staying healthy enough through the season. We can’t be that unlucky twice in a row can we? If injuries hit again, I just don’t see enough depth to be any better than we were last season.

Still, the offense is clearly better and has better depth, so I think we can get into the playoffs this season. How far we go will be determined by who is healthy and who steps up this year.

• Defense5599

Blocked

They failed to address the pass rush which a lot of us saw as a glaring need.  Granted, there was a run on premium DE’s in the first two rounds before we could pick.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.