Viewing 14 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The best cornerbacks in the NFL todayBy cover32 StaffJune 30, 2014 9:28 pmbest6_zps20944e5b.png    6. Brandon BoykinBoykin is a great, young talentDuring his rookie season of 2012, Boykin was primarily used as a kick returner. But last year, the former fourth-round choice out of Georgia got a chance to play more on defense for the Eagles, an opportunity he took full advantage of throughout the year. By season’s end, Boykin had hauled in six interceptions (one of which he took back for a score) and forced a pair of fumbles, making him a central figure in Philly’s defense.best5_zpsea00a92e.png5. Alterraun VernerVerner snagged a big check from Tampa BayVerner has great timing, as he picked the perfect moment to have a breakout season. During the 2013 campaign, which was the final year of Verner’s original rookie contract, he blossomed in Tennessee, corralling five interceptions en route to his first Pro Bowl appearance. As a result, he became a hot commodity on the free-agent market, something he parlayed into a four-year, $25.5 million contract with the Buccaneers.best4_zpsbee7860c.png4. Joe HadenThe Browns know Haden’s valueThe Browns are so high on their young cornerback that they gave him a monstrous five-year, $68-million contract extension during the offseason. That may seem hefty for a guy has only earned one Pro Bowl nod (2013) and has had his fair share of off-the-field issues, but it’s a sign that Cleveland understands Haden’s tremendous value. Last season, he was among the game’s best corners, picking off four passes and defending another 20. He’s an elite cornerback.best3_zps467fb183.png3. Darrelle RevisRevis is more than just a contract complainerThe guy who was such a shutdown corner that his area of the field was dubbed “Revis Island” has tarnished his legacy a bit in recent years by constantly complaining about his contract status. That turmoil has seen him bounce to his third team in three years after inking a two-year deal worth $32 million to play in New England. But the five-time Pro Bowl selection and three-time All-NFL choice is still among the game’s best cover corners.best2_zps40b301a5.png2. Patrick PetersonPeterson is Deion Sanders 2.0During his first three seasons in the league, Peterson has started all 48 games in which he’s played, earned three Pro Bowl trips and been named All-NFL twice. That’s not a bad start to what promises to be a great career, causing many observers to compare his skills to those of Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders. And for good reason, as both players were great in coverage, while also bringing a playmaking ability to the position.best1_zps2cbedfe5.png1. Richard ShermanSherman is the game’s top cornerbackIt’s not bragging if you can back in up, which is what Sherman has repeatedly done during his three seasons in the NFL. Yes, he likes to tell everyone that he’s the best cornerback in the league, but he has the numbers – including eight picks in each of the past two seasons – to support his claim. Plus, he’s a team leader on a franchise that just won the Super Bowl. There’s very little dispute that Sherman’s atop this list.link

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does being outspoken make sherm a leader, or is he actually a team capt?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Verner is the best in the league.  He’s a quiet, unassuming, lunch pail kind of guy that played for a franchise that makes little waves as well and yet he became an all-pro.  I have studied his game since we signed him, he’s as good as anyone in the league right now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry but Revis is still the best and most complete/versatile corner in the NFL today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sorry but Revis is still the best and most complete/versatile corner in the NFL today.

He's the product of solid marketing.  We upgraded and saved a ton of money in the process.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Like Verner a lot, especially in our scheme. Only concern is that the last couple seasons his performance has trailed off at the end of the year (similar to Penn)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's the product of solid marketing.  We upgraded and saved a ton of money in the process.

Upgraded? In what world is Verner better than Revis? Not one I know

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll make a grand assumption.  You have never watched Verner play then.  Compare last seasons play and the two aren't even in the same league.  Verner is an upgrade - simple as that.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Brandon Flowers: "I am the best corner in football"http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/30/brandon-flowers-i-am-the-best-corner-in-football/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'll make a grand assumption.  You have never watched Verner play then.  Compare last seasons play and the two aren't even in the same league.  Verner is an upgrade - simple as that.

Wrong assumption, I have seen him play.Did he play better last year? yes Do I think Revis' injury had anything to do with his performance? ABSOLUTELY. He's not getting paid $16m for his second team in as many years because he's not in the same league as Verner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wrong assumption, I have seen him play.Did he play better last year? yes Do I think Revis' injury had anything to do with his performance? ABSOLUTELY. He's not getting paid $16m for his second team in as many years because he's not in the same league as Verner.

So last year is a good gage for success unless it applies to the CB that just robbed us blind.  Verner is better but less marketed - there is no other way to explain it.  I'll make you a bet, Verner has twice the picks Revis does this year, and yes, if your team is built properly, interceptions and passes defended are all that matter for a CB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

interceptions and passes defended are all that matter for a CB.

Wrong.  The best CBs are not even targeted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biggest myth in sports.  No OC worth a crap acquiesces to one defensive player.  When I hear that I just laugh. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biggest myth in sports.

No, the biggest myth in sports is that Glennon will be the starter in September

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biggest myth in sports.

No, the biggest myth in sports is that Glennon will be the starter in September

You are going to be one pissed Buc's fan.

Please wait…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.