Viewing 46 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

NFL Mock Draft 2014: The Buccaneers don't have many good options By Sander Philipse?@Sanderrp Mar 31 2014, 8:14pmoptions_zps8b4020ec.jpgJoe Robbins The Tampa Bay Buccaneers have filled many holes in free agency, but that leaves them with precious few good options in most mock drafts.Matthew Fairburn and Dan Kadar's latest mock draft has the Tampa Bay Buccaneers taking offensive tackle Jake Matthews with the seventh overall pick. A move that makes little sense, really. If the draft falls this way, the Buccaneers will be in a good spot to address the offensive line. Even after signing Anthony Collins, the Buccaneers still have a need at right tackle. Jake Matthews has experience at both tackle spots and is the most technically sound tackle in the draft. The Buccaneers do not, in fact, have a need at right tackle. In fact, Demar Dotson was seen as one of the best right tackles in the NFL last year by Pro Football Focus' grades, and he simply played very well -- moreso as a pass protector than a run blocker. No, the Bucs have a need at guard, with Carl Nicks' health in doubt and Jamon Meredith and Oniel Cousins competing for the opposite spot. There's no guard to be drafted that high, though, unless his name is Greg Robinson -- an elite talent at tackle who can probably dominate at offensive guard. Passing on Eric Ebron, Johnny Manziel and even Mike Evans to draft Jake Matthews makes very little sense for the Bucs. A trade down would make the most sense at this spot, but that would take someone willing to trade up and meet the team's price. Overall, the Bucs just don't have ideal options, here: either they take a player that should be available later, or they take Jake Matthews -- which doesn't fill any need. The second-round option for the Bucs makes a lot more sense: Kelvin Benjamin. The Florida State receiver is a very, very gifted athlete, with size and explosion. He's not quite at the level of Mike Evans or Sammy Watkins, but he'd be an outstanding consolation prize for a team that lacks reliable pass-catchers. Should the Buccaneers miss on Watkins or pass on Evans in the first round, Benjamin is nice consolation. While he's fairly similar in style to Vincent Jackson, that seems to work fine for the Bears with Alshon Jeffery and Brandon Marshall. The fact that  a player with his talent would be available early in the second round is a testament to the depth at the wide receiver position. Benjamin would be a top 15 player in some drafts, but not one that features Watkins, Evans, Davante Adems, Odell Beckham Jr. and others.http://www.bucsnation.com/2014/3/31/5565990/nfl-mock-draft-2014-the-buccaneers-dont-have-many-good-options

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well Sander has it right in this case, picking Matthews at the seventh pick wouldn’t be an ideal pick unless you had any concerns that Collins couldn’t be a starter on the line. The Bucs have filled a lot of holes and thus have a lot of options now. The only offensive lineman that I’d want at seven is Robinson as Sander notes.All that said, I've no idea who the Bucs will pick now. It's looking very likely that perhaps two of the so-called top three quarterbacks will be available and that Mack, Clowney, Robinson and Watkins will definitely be off the board before we pick. If those 4 are gone, I do hope that we can find a partner to trade down, but if we have to pick, at least there is going to be a lot of suspense this year - no one really knows what L&L are thinking at this point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Johnny Football.  We would go from having the worst QB in the division to the best.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A dominant OG is definitely worth the no.7 pick so I agree on Robinson. I think Jake Matthews is going to be great. The only wildcard is Dotson. He is not a prototypical RT in that his run blocking is quite weak … and he is the lone man standing from last years starters on the OL. Are they going to blow up the Dot man? Or does he best fit as the swing OT?We would most definitely become an instantly better football team with Jake Matthews at RT (also if Robinson can play RT that could be his best spot in the pros) and Dotson the swing tackle. At the same time I would prefer DL or WR. If we were to get either Evans or Donald I would be stoked. Who knows what they are thinking? All I know is they have blown it up and maybe are not done.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Taking any of the QBs, in this draft, at #7 would not give the Bucs the best QB in the division.  Trade down would be ideal, but if they can’t I would still take Aaron Donald.  That would make it possible for the Bucs to have a dominant defensive line.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A dominant OG is definitely worth the no.7 pick so I agree on Robinson. I think Jake Matthews is going to be great. The only wildcard is Dotson. He is not a prototypical RT in that his run blocking is quite weak ... and he is the lone man standing from last years starters on the OL. Are they going to blow up the Dot man? Or does he best fit as the swing OT?We would most definitely become an instantly better football team with Jake Matthews at RT (also if Robinson can play RT that could be his best spot in the pros) and Dotson the swing tackle. At the same time I would prefer DL or WR. If we were to get either Evans or Donald I would be stoked. Who knows what they are thinking? All I know is they have blown it up and maybe are not done.

IMO, drafting guards that high is a bad idea, but I do love this kid.  He is an iffy pass protector from what I have gathered, but he is the best at killing things in front of him.  I can see Lovie taking him if he "slips".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Johnny Football.  We would go from having the worst QB in the division to the best.

^IIImy vote for dumbass post of the century

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He’s the best QB college football has seen in years.  He has the potential to be great.  Sure it’s a risk but none of the other guys have his upside.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's the best QB college football has seen in years.  He has the potential to be great.  Sure it's a risk but none of the other guys have his upside.

This is all true.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t like any of the QB for the first Round.Just can't see Lovie taking Manziel with his baggage.Robinson/ Matthews and a guard in the 2nd/3rd.  Build the OL- which right now has nothing. No one to protect the QB no matter who it is. How can you pass if the QB is on his backside? The DL doesn't need any more help, just no more stunts.Can Dotson move inside?Every coach will preach its starts with the lines. We have no guards!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think they would love to trade down. But there would have to be someone willing to trade up. Unless someone wants one of the remaining QBs on the board, I dont see that as being very likely in a draft like this.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's the best QB college football has seen in years.  He has the potential to be great.  Sure it's a risk but none of the other guys have his upside.

This is all true.

not reallyAndrew Luck comes to mind. you could make the same argument for Tebow and we saw how poorly he turned out in the NFL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I see this same argument made all the time. No doubts about his college game. Guy was very exciting. But what exactly makes you think he has potential to be great? Let me guess, and please correct me if I'm wrong, he's an elite play maker, escape artist, athlete and if he could just learn how to run a NFL offense, stand in the pocket better and read an NFL defense very quickly he could be great. Am I right so far?Well that could very well be. I don't believe it will be the case with him just as I believe it'll never be the case with RGIII. IMO, if you can run a 4.3 like RGIII you will. If you can take off and "make plays" like JFF can, you will. In life and certainly in football, we do the things that we believe we're the best at. Those guys are admittedly great athletes and runners, so I find it unlikely they'll just choose to not do those things.That's my .02. If he could be a Drew Brees type passer with his running skills you would undoubtedly have an amazing QB. I just find that very unlikely to happen. Maybe a Russell Wilson type but I don't see his football IQ near that of Wilson, among other things.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is all true.

not reallyAndrew Luck comes to mind. you could make the same argument for Tebow and we saw how poorly he turned out in the NFL

As a Gator fan, I have as much love for TIMMAH as anyone but come now. Surely you're not comparing the skillset of JFF to Tebow. JFF can actually throw the football. Teebs couldn't. That's why he's working in TV now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is all true.

Agreed. What is there to be worried about? Risk?!? What risk? We have been awful for the past three years. I dont think Johnny will be there at 7...if he is and we pass him up we are foolish. I say trade up to the Texans spot to ensure we get him. If Tedford thinks he is the guy, make the move. Just keep your second round pick this year when you make the move.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In 3 years maybe...we would still start the season with the 4th best.  We could draft the next Peyton Manning and as a rookie he is still not going to be as good as Newton, Ryan, Brees his rookie year.  If those are your expectations....you are going to be miserable this season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not worried about this season as long as there is a long term plan in place.  I never embraced the Gruden bandaid approach. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chances are pretty high he wouldn’t even play as well as Glennon’s rookie year. Going to be quite the learning curve for lil johnny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not worried about this season as long as there is a long term plan in place.  I never embraced the Gruden bandaid approach.

Im with you on that, but we wouldnt go from worst to first in the QB club for awhile...if at all.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chances are pretty high he wouldn't even play as well as Glennon's rookie year. Going to be quite the learning curve for lil johnny.

If he was drafted by us and started his rookie year, which I think Lovie would have him sit his rookie year, then I wouldnt expect him to be as average as Glennon. I would expect a lot of turnovers. However, what I would want to see is a few of those big time plays where a play breaks down and a receiver beats a guy deep, Johnny hits him deep while on the run. A few romo or rodgers type plays. Mistakes are going to happen with Johnny's type of play, let him make them early and hopefully he will get better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthews would not be my pick with the others names still on the board, but I do think he will be a very good player and about as safe a pick as can be made in this draft. I like Benjamin in the 2nd round also, regardless of what we do in the first. I really like him

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Matthews would not be my pick with the others names still on the board, but I do think he will be a very good player and about as safe a pick as can be made in this draft. I like Benjamin in the 2nd round also, regardless of what we do in the first. I really like him

I love Benjamin too...but HIGHLY doubt he makes it to our 2nd pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, some people on this board are going to lose their mind come draft day.  It’s going to be very funny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not against Manziel, but he's not an example of upside. Upside is for players like Blake Bortles who has every physical ability in the world. Manziel doesn't have every physical ability in the world. He's a shrimp. He may still be able to succeed as a shrimp, but he's a classic try-hard get the job done player and not an upside prospect.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, some people on this board are going to lose their mind come draft day.  It's going to be very funny.

Let me guess? No QB's will be drafted in the 1st round at all??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, some people on this board are going to lose their mind come draft day.  It's going to be very funny.

Let me guess? No QB's will be drafted in the 1st round at all??

How about, none by the Bucs. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is all true.

As a Gator fan, I have as much love for TIMMAH as anyone but come now. Surely you're not comparing the skillset of JFF to Tebow. JFF can actually throw the football. Teebs couldn't. That's why he's working in TV now.

im not comparing throwing ability. i was using Tebow as an example of "the best QB college football has seen in years" to illustrate the point that greatness in college means absolutely nothing in the NFL. Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Tim Tebow, Jamarcus Russell were all great in college and bums in the NFL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A RT or a G are not value picks at 7.  You can get a good one like Winston in FA every year.  It is a perplexing problem if Bortles, Watkins, Robinson, Mack, and Clowney are all of the board what do you do with 7?  I probably go with Barr or Donald because I think they would help our D tremendously.  To me, it comes down to if you think there is a franchise QB in the draft.  If so, go get him at 1 or 2.  I am a big fan of Bortles and like JFF’s ability, but his style, size, and off-field are scare me.  Should be a fun draft this year.  I think there will be some moves at the top and potentially an elite player will fall to us if stay put. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We have plenty of good options at #7. I’m sure Lovie/Licht have a plan, no matter how the chips fall. The biggest surprise to me would be if we traded up. The only way that happens, IMO, is if we can pair our #7 with a rostered player in a trade (like Dotson, Martin, Bowers etc) instead of another draft choice, which ain’t likely…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This has yet again turned into a Johnny Football thread with 10lbbass expressing his dissatisfaction with the 1st round quarterback options.somebody_kill_me_by_katiejo911-d3hwnvj.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not worried about this season as long as there is a long term plan in place.  I never embraced the Gruden bandaid approach.

No but you sure enjoy ripping the bandaid off and opening the sound, eh? Why win 9 games when you can win 4, right?  Horse hockey!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gruden had very little acumen for QB talent in Tampa.  Aaron Rodgers was just one example of many.  Despite all the QB guru stuff with him, he was a failure at evaluating QBs as Bucs head coach.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

April fools post? You got me for a second there bro. Thought you were serious.....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evans, Aaron Donald, Barr and Justin Gilbert will be available when we pick regardless of how the top 6 picks go. We will have plenty of good options.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’ve “risked” first rounders before on less. That line is bull.Just say you're scared guys..Some of you would NEVER find a good qb if you were gm. Too much "risk" to do anything other than draft boring "safe" players that end up being average or busts anyway. Then waste your time (like we have done) working with second rate qb's.We had one of the best turnover margins in the nfl last season, and where did that get us!? Nowhere, because we couldn't score!You have TWO qb's who can cover for failure, yet you're still frightened to draft a qb (when it's probably the last time we'll be this high)?If you're too frightened to pull the trigger now, you never would be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

isn’t the risk much less now with a rookie pay scale? You are still risking a 1st round pick, but you have the QB for longer and at a very low rate

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

isn't the risk much less now with a rookie pay scale? You are still risking a 1st round pick, but you have the QB for longer and at a very low rate

You can cut the cord on a clearly inferior player like Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder quicker, but you can still get stuck with mediocrity with a player like Jake Locker just as easily. You don't get the player for longer, though. All rookies only sign 4-year deals now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

isn't the risk much less now with a rookie pay scale? You are still risking a 1st round pick, but you have the QB for longer and at a very low rate

You can cut the cord on a clearly inferior player like Blaine Gabbert or Christian Ponder quicker, but you can still get stuck with mediocrity with a player like Jake Locker just as easily. You don't get the player for longer, though. All rookies only sign 4-year deals now.

I thought first-rounders had an optional 5th year? Could be wrong, but anyway I get your point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I thought first-rounders had an optional 5th year? Could be wrong, but anyway I get your point.

There are fifth year options, but they're not cheap. It's almost like a franchise tag.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

^IIImy vote for dumbass post of the century

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

oh, I did not realize that part. thanks

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's still opportunity cost.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OL isn’t the sexiest pick but thats how you build you squad…from the line to the back

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There's still opportunity cost.

agreed

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

OL isn't the sexiest pick but thats how you build you squad...from the line to the back

thats also how you wipe, front to back. Front to back works on a lot of life' situations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most folks agree there are 38+ players in this draft class with 1st round grades…..but we don’t have many good options at 7? Lol. Sanders never fails to amaze me with his ridiculous levels of ineptitude. How does he get paid for this sh!t? We are guaranteed a great player at 7 and there are about 50 different scenarios. This article, like all the others by Sanders, is pointless and full of ignorance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No but you sure enjoy ripping the bandaid off and opening the sound, eh? Why win 9 games when you can win 4, right?  Horse hockey!

im fine with starting McCown until we are out of the playoff hunt but if you are going to bring in a 35 year old journeyman you need to have a long term plan or else we will never get better.  Have I been critical of the team since Lovie took over?  For the most part no because he is making moves that make sense to me. 

Please wait…

Viewing 46 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.