Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The Buccaneers should sign a veteran right guard Aug 10, 2015 mathis_zpscfubbaja.jpg  Jeffrey G. Pittenger-USA TODAY SportsIt is August 4, 2015.  In the past couple of days at One Buc Place, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have already employed its Turnstile Initiative. At the beginning of camp, 2013 seventh rounder Garrett Gilkey started at right guard. Two days later, 2014 fifth rounder Kadeem Edwards replaced Gilkey. Ali Marpet has since had a chance as well.Competition is great. Competition without a viable option is not so great.  Although current offensive coordinator, Dirk Koetter has weathered losing five starting offensive linemen last year in Atlanta, where he was once commanded the Falcon's offense, the Bucs' front office still have an option to secure a competent starting RG. Atlanta's woes occurred during the season and Tampa's woe is in the offseason. This will be the second year where Bucs are still seeking a starting right guard for its line.Currently, Tampa has $20 million in cap space, according to Sportrac online. G Marpet's cap hit this season is about $0.7 million. G Edwards' cap hit this year is $0.5 million. C/G Gilkey's cap hit will be $0.5 million. About $1.7 million is invested at RG, but none a starter at the moment. Marpet is seen as the future at RG, but the current assessment is he is not ready to be a starter. The Bucs need a one year stop gap.August 4, 2015Dolphins VP Mike Tannebaum won't say no to Evan Mathis pursuitAugust 1, 2015Jets showing interest in former Eagles Pro Bowl guard Evan MathisObviously, money is the big issue. Mathis, cut by the Eagles in May because of a contract squabble, was due to make $5.5 million this season. He wanted more.Money is what will sway G Mathis. The Bucs have $20 million in cap space. Provided the Bucs only offer a one year deal, the team can afford the expensive price of Mathis for one year simply to buy time for its young RG group to continue to develop. There is a need for a starting RG, especially with a rookie QB, and it is best to acquire now than later - because we noticed the debacle of a late acquisition with G Logan Mankins last year. There is a starting RG on the market. The only question is if the front office is willing to pull the trigger.We do not have a starting quality RG at this moment. The Bucs need at least one year to develop G Marpet. There is plenty of money this year. Does the organization want to gamble at starting RG again? Why, when Mathis is a mercenary. Pay the starting RG the money for one year. Make him an offer he cannot refuse. Pay the piper.  Pay the piper so our rookie QB has time to dance in the backfield. And if our QB has time to dance in the backfield, then he can take us to the big ball. That is the end game after all.mathis1_zpsloctyqb9.pnglink

Please wait…

• farzillo

Participant

It’s absolutely stupid that we do not bring Mathis in on a 1 year deal. With it being Winston’s first year, having the absolute best line possible should be our highest priority. Second it gives Marpet one of the better guards in the league to learn behind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the Front Office’s priority was David, then Dotson. I think DE and OL will be added in the very near future. Could be Mathis, could be a camp casualty.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He will be 34 soon. But PFF rated him highly last season. So he may have a quality year left in him. I know he stays in tip top shape, he has a training place in Arizona where a lot of players go in the offseason. I would sign him to a 1 year deal. That is assuming he would want to play here.  But maybe he is looking for a multi-year deal too. That would complicate matters.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you know he wants multiyears and big money.  playing behind mathis would do nothing, nothing, nothing for marpet.  the guy needs reps.  the guy needs experience.  having a locker next to mankins and getting snaps is what he needs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the oline intently when I was at camp.  I didn’t see anything glaringly unacceptable.  Granted this is camp.  But looked like Marpet was holding his own.  I liked Mankins at LG, bodes well for Smith if he makes the cut at LT.  Not sure what kind of teacher or help that Dotson can give, but doesn’t hurt for a rook to be next to him, I hope. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have to say my stance has changed, I say we stand pat. If we gonna take our lumps with Jameis, may as well do it with the oline as well.  Just hope we don't get the kid killed...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the oline intently when I was at camp.  I didn't see anything glaringly unacceptable.  Granted this is camp.  But looked like Marpet was holding his own.  I liked Mankins at LG, bodes well for Smith if he makes the cut at LT.  Not sure what kind of teacher or help that Dotson can give, but doesn't hurt for a rook to be next to him, I hope. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have to say my stance has changed, I say we stand pat. If we gonna take our lumps with Jameis, may as well do it with the oline as well. Just hope we don't get the kid killed...

I don't mind taking lumps but I don't want Winston to get that David Carr syndrome.  I know JW is big but those NFL hits hurt harder than at the college level. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I fail to see how bringing in a better player is ever a bad thing for a team. I just don’t get some of the reasoning.We have the cap space and it will go to waste, watch.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does Evan Mathis really change our contender status that much? On paper maybe signing Mathis and having Marpet compete with him and EDS at center make us better, but it’s not worth $7 million a year. I’d rather get Marpet on the field anyway. In Mankins we already have a veteran guard, and unlike Mathis a good leader.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the oline intently when I was at camp.  I didn't see anything glaringly unacceptable.  Granted this is camp.  But looked like Marpet was holding his own.  I liked Mankins at LG, bodes well for Smith if he makes the cut at LT.  Not sure what kind of teacher or help that Dotson can give, but doesn't hurt for a rook to be next to him, I hope. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have to say my stance has changed, I say we stand pat. If we gonna take our lumps with Jameis, may as well do it with the oline as well. Just hope we don't get the kid killed...

I don't mind taking lumps but I don't want Winston to get that David Carr syndrome.  I know JW is big but those NFL hits hurt harder than at the college level.

No doubt.  I didn't get a chance to see any goal line action, which I love at camp.  But Marpet is pretty big. And he looks the part. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I fail to see how bringing in a better player is ever a bad thing for a team. I just don't get some of the reasoning.We have the cap space and it will go to waste, watch.

I was feeling the same way, but I think you gotta give this kid a chance without having the highly paid FA breathing down his neck.  Plus at this point 31 other teams can't be wrong...dude is still on the street for a reason...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I fail to see how bringing in a better player is ever a bad thing for a team. I just don't get some of the reasoning.We have the cap space and it will go to waste, watch.

I was feeling the same way, but I think you gotta give this kid a chance without having the highly paid FA breathing down his neck.  Plus at this point 31 other teams can't be wrong...dude is still on the street for a reason...

My priorities are in this order:1 - keep Jameis safe and standing2 - worry about Marpet's development31 other teams do not have as bad a situation at this position as we do, guaranteed. We are placing all our hopes on a D3 guy. Let him come along slowly and start when he outplays someone for the position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Does Evan Mathis really change our contender status that much? On paper maybe signing Mathis and having Marpet compete with him and EDS at center make us better, but it's not worth $7 million a year. I'd rather get Marpet on the field anyway. In Mankins we already have a veteran guard, and unlike Mathis a good leader.

I think anytime you have an All-pro caliber player instead of a D-3 player that changes the status of the team.  I think a one year high priced deal is the best route.  We have the cash.  Like the article says, he is a hired assassin, hence the high salary.  He wouldn't come in as a leader, he would strictly be signed to keep JW's jersey clean.  Meanwhile Marpet practices and adjusts to the speed of NFL talent.   

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Chev,I'm going to take it a tad further. I agree with you, stand pat, play last years picks, Edwards and Parmelie as much as possible and start this years two picks. That way we know what we have going into next year. Same with our DE's. We know we are stout at DT but ??????? at DE, so let's give them a chance, then next year, maybe the first four picks in three rounds (trade Glennon) are two OL and two edge rushers, thus giving us youth, talent and depth in one fell swoop. It's safe to safe, the Lombardi is not in our plans for this year, TE, RB, WR, DB, CB, LB, DT all look okay to good, not great, so only OL & DE appear to be screaming needs and next year can ut us back over the top.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mathis would be a wise investment.Marpet, Alexander, etc having promising futures but no need to push them into the line up now. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mathis would be a wise investment.Marpet, Alexander, etc having promising futures but no need to push them into the line up now.

I think we push them.  Look, no sense in babying guys. Least we forget this is the Not for Long league. We really don't have time to bring these guys along.  As second round draft picks they need to be coached up and they need to start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

playing behind mathis would do nothing, nothing, nothing for marpet.  the guy needs reps.  the guy needs experience.  having a locker next to mankins and getting snaps is what he needs.

I agree with this - Mathis doesn't do a thing for Marpet.I know that Mathis is a solid player and that PFF grades him extremely high. However, as I've pointed out before - and people either don't care or completely ignore -- his success has largely been in a zone-blocking scheme. He's a heady, athletic mover/technician, not a man-to-man mauler.PFF grades are cumulative - the reason Evan Mathis is a star on PFF is because his run-blocking score is other-worldly. I'm doing this on memory, but it's something like +40. His pass-blocking is just average (0), but you add them together and you still get a very high score. The problem is that his run-blocking score is piled up in a ZBS. Would that translate into what DK wants to do here? If not, than the Bucs would be paying a premium for a guy who is just an average pass-blocker and a poor fit for the running game. I'm not saying he's definitely not a fit, but I'm skeptical that he is. I don't think anyone else here is asking that question though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you know he wants multiyears and big money.  playing behind mathis would do nothing, nothing, nothing for marpet.  the guy needs reps.  the guy needs experience.  having a locker next to mankins and getting snaps is what he needs.

I agree...Makes no sense drafting the guy only to let him ride the pine...You're right, Mathis wouldn't sign a 1 year deal anyways

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree with you on the "31 other teams can't be wrong" - he's on the street right now because:a) vets hate training camp (Ross Tucker talked about all the phony injuries Bruce Smith got in his later years that conveniently cleared up once the first 2 weeks of camp were over). b) he's looking for a lot of money and probably a place he can win. c) because he's looking for a lot of money, teams are going to see how their plan A looks before they go to the expensive plan B. My guess is he's got a short list of teams and he's watching how things play out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With regard to the initial article, I’m not sure the premise about Marpet is correct – that he’s just seen as the RG for the future. I've thought from day 1 that the coach/GM comments/reports on Marpet were simply designed to lower expectations and thus take some pressure on Marpet as he makes a pretty big adjustment. I fully expect him to start at RG.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I fully expect him to start at RG.

I do as well. People are assuming that by starting Marpet we are "taking our lumps". But whats to say the guy doesn't come out and perform? The guy has the size, he's smart, and he's showing that he can hang. What if keeping Jameis standing and Marpets development are the same things?None of us will know until the bullets start flying. No reason to freak out about Evan Mathis until we see what we already have on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I fully expect him to start at RG.

I do as well. People are assuming that by starting Marpet we are "taking our lumps". But whats to say the guy doesn't come out and perform? The guy has the size, he's smart, and he's showing that he can hang. What if keeping Jameis standing and Marpets development are the same things?None of us will know until the bullets start flying. No reason to freak out about Evan Mathis until we see what we already have on the field.

I've been down on this oline and I'm sure even the "wait and seer's" are holding their breath that these two rooks can make it happen.  While I'm worried, I know you can't sit them and try to coax them along.  They gotta play and they gotta play well.  That falls on the oline coach to have these two guys ready for primetime. I don't know this Warthrop guy, but I hope he is up to the task as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t mind seeing him signed. We have the coin. And it doesn’t have to be him or Ali playing. Why not both? Rotate them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the oline intently when I was at camp.  I didn't see anything glaringly unacceptable.  Granted this is camp.  But looked like Marpet was holding his own.  I liked Mankins at LG, bodes well for Smith if he makes the cut at LT.  Not sure what kind of teacher or help that Dotson can give, but doesn't hurt for a rook to be next to him, I hope. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have to say my stance has changed, I say we stand pat. If we gonna take our lumps with Jameis, may as well do it with the oline as well.  Just hope we don't get the kid killed...

I went today and thought the OLINE was terrible. Dotson and Johnson had some really good battles both ways ending in the fight but otherwise it seemed like a slaughter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't mind seeing him signed. We have the coin. And it doesn't have to be him or Ali playing. Why not both? Rotate them.

you gonna give mathis 5-7 mil and sit him on the bench?  lose cohesiveness?i think BookerReeses point needs to be repeated.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, thats how the glazers roll. As cheaply as possible.But the excuse/resoning isnt half bad, this time. I would do it for depth, and as long as the big M agrees to do a little side-tutoring i dont believe it hurts ali one bit. Quite the contrary.However, i could be wrong and we could just be holding ali back, just for some expensive broken down collins again.That would definitely be a bad thing, especially this season. With so many rookies, idk if you can risk smashing any one of their confidences.Basically, if im saying anything, its that its situational. If it appears to be that ali needs a mentor, and M agrees, then why not? If not, and ali is not willing to give up/just looks good, i say fuggedabuudit, and just sign some good depth if possible.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was watching the oline intently when I was at camp.  I didn't see anything glaringly unacceptable.  Granted this is camp.  But looked like Marpet was holding his own.  I liked Mankins at LG, bodes well for Smith if he makes the cut at LT.  Not sure what kind of teacher or help that Dotson can give, but doesn't hurt for a rook to be next to him, I hope. I wasn't thrilled about it at first, but I have to say my stance has changed, I say we stand pat. If we gonna take our lumps with Jameis, may as well do it with the oline as well.  Just hope we don't get the kid killed...

I went today and thought the OLINE was terrible. Dotson and Johnson had some really good battles both ways ending in the fight but otherwise it seemed like a slaughter.

Glad they were terrible in "practice"...Hopefully coach Warthrop has a lot of teaching points from an, by your account, abysmal practice session.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The way I see it is that RT should be better this year since Dotson will be there all year, RG should either be the same or better this year with Marpet, and LG should be improved since it looks like Mankins is actually motivated and in better shape than last year.The LT position will probably be rocky this year since Smith will take is bumps along the way but hopefully he pans out at LT. The position I hope they upgrade next year is at the center position. Evan Smith was not good last year from what I saw and way to many penalties.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Free agent OG Evan Mathis is close to signing with a team.Mathis has been on the open market since June due to his high contract demands. He’ll likely have to settle for less than the $5.5 million he was scheduled to make from the Eagles. The Dolphins are reportedly offering Mathis a deal in the range of $2 million annually. Source: Rand Getlin on Twitter Aug 12 - 6:50 PM

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup, thats how the glazers roll. As cheaply as possible.

LoL...dude...the Glazers aren't cheap....Culverhouse was cheap...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Marpet will be fine. Let him play. No need to bring in a rental.

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.