Viewing 17 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Tampa Bay Buccaneers 2014 NFL Draft Review: Mike Evans Adds Another Zip Code by Sayre Bedinger 9 minutes ago evans_zps1f92f3ff.pngMay 31, 2014; Los Angeles, CATampa Bay Buccaneers wide receiver Mike Evans during the 2014 NFLPA Rookie Premiere at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum. Gary A. Vasquez-USA TODAY SportsWhen the Tampa Bay Buccaneers used their top two picks in the 2014 NFL Draft on Mike Evans and Austin Seferian-Jenkins, they had to create a new zip code in Florida to compensate. With the 6’5? Vincent Jackson already making plays for the Bucs, adding a huge weapon like Evans — who is also 6’5? — as well as Seferian-Jenkins — who is 6’6? — makes this offense a tough matchup for any team in the league, even the Seahawks, who have some of the biggest DBs in the league. The addition of Evans and “ASJ” for Tampa also gives them a trio of receivers very similar to what Lovie Smith and company were building in Chicago when they traded for Brandon Marshall, signed tight end Martellus Bennett, and drafted receiver Alshon Jeffery. The Bucs have some serious size at the skill spots, particularly guys who can catch the ball. They also brought in 6’4? Brandon Myers, a tight end who has been pretty productive in this league, and drafted one of the biggest tailbacks available in 2014 when they selected West Virginia’s Charles Sims in the third round. In case you were wondering, one of the top college-to-pro comparisons for Charles Sims is Matt Forte of the Chicago Bears. Do you get a sense of what this team is trying to do here? The Bucs are becoming ‘Bears South’ and that’s not a bad thing. Chicago has compiled a group of playmakers offensively that provide a major size mismatch for opponents, and a quarterback that can get them the ball. Did you also know that the Bucs’ projected starting quarterback is a guy who started for the Bears last year? In addition to all the similarities, one of the first orders of business for this new Bucs regime was to sign 6-foot-7 defensive end Michael Johnson, formerly of the Bengals. The Bears made a similar move in 2010 when they went after Julius Peppers, also 6’7?. Okay, maybe that’s a bit of a stretch. Still, the offensive comparisons are valid. The Bucs are trying to create an offensive attack that teams won’t be able to scout because their heads will be cut off by the camera. These guys are huge. I love the strategy, and I think the Bucs have an interesting thing going here. Evans, Jackson, and ASJ each have a huge catch radius, and can snatch the ball out of the air. Good after the catch, dangerous in the red zone, and dominant in terms of size, Tampa has to be giddy about the strides their offense can make in a short amount of time.link

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

That jersey is #fire on Mike.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmmm…shouldn’t we actually strive to be one of the better teams in the league instead of just a slightly above average team?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmmm...shouldn't we actually strive to be one of the better teams in the league instead of just a slightly above average team?

Being as competitive as the Bears would be a damn good start

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

An improvement from Southern Rutgers U?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Remember when we were Oakland East?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hmmm...shouldn't we actually strive to be one of the better teams in the league instead of just a slightly above average team?

Being as competitive as the Bears would be a damn good start

Bears had the #2 ranked Offense last year.  This article is comparing the Bucs offense to the Bears offense.  Hardly slightly above average

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After Mike Alstott retired, Matt Forte became my favorite back in the NFL. That may soon change to Sims, if reports on him are accurate. Being Bears South is fine with me…  ;D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uummm I’ll take Lovie’s Bears D to go with Trestman’s O (via Tedford/McCown) in a heartbeat.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Coach Lovie is of course going by the lessons he’s learned; so, why not by the Bears of the South? The comparisons are obvious including Charles Sims to Matt Forte; and, I like Forte, but Licht I'm thinking liked him for another reason,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1uhtYgaH9cMe?  I'm comparing him to the Eagles Hb, LeShean McCoy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uummm I'll take Lovie's Bears D to go with Trestman's O (via Tedford/McCown) in a heartbeat.

Me too.It still also raises the question though, ..will it mesh? I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility that tedford's offense might suck.Still, I like that they've set this offense up for future success. Another good offensive draft, and we can start almost any qb we want and it won't matter. We still would have success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uummm I'll take Lovie's Bears D to go with Trestman's O (via Tedford/McCown) in a heartbeat.

Me too.It still also raises the question though, ..will it mesh? I mean, it's not out of the realm of possibility that tedford's offense might suck.Still, I like that they've set this offense up for future success. Another good offensive draft, and we can start almost any qb we want and it won't matter. We still would have success.

Tedford's ability to replicate Trestman's success is indeed the biggest question. However I feel like McCown could be instrumental in that transition, having spent  a year in Chicago under Willy Wonka's tutelage. Can't remember where but I lready read that Tedford changed some things at the behest of McCown as soon as he came in. Shows that Tedford does listen to him and will probably rely on him as a sounding board throughout the finalization of the offense. Also McCown was a HS coach for a bit, and that has helped him understand things from a macro prespective, which appears to have played a big role in his late-career success. I'm excited to see the results come September.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tedford remains the biggest question mark in all of Bucland. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Being the Bears of the South is just fine with me. Competitive yearly and Lovie appears to have learned his lesson about offense in his year off.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

remember when we were going for Giants south

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

10 years ago the Bears were becoming Bucs North.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Isn’t every team becoming (or attempting to become)  the Bears south?  “…compiled a group of playmakers offensively that provide a major size mismatch for opponents, and a quarterback that can get them the ball…?argh at the off season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

BpN_PzMIgAAMErU.jpg

Please wait…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.