Viewing 29 reply threads

• Author

• lkorovilas

Participant

The bucs had so many option on day two and they chose a running back who we don’t even need and a tight end.  We just signed a tight end in free agency.  It’s like they forgot we needed a  d tackle, another wr, guard, another corner    Any of those positions would have been better than running back and tight end.  Extremely disappointed. We need starters    Not player for depth.  What the hell are we going to do with another running back?????  What a waste of a third rounder. Not even a 7th rounder but they wasted a pick on a running back who will never start.  Take a look at some of the bucs drafts  three to five years ago. That’s like 35 guys picked and how many are with the team and starting.  Not many.  I feel like this was a huge missed opportunity on day two to have one hell of a draft and the bucs blew it.  What do you fans think???  Still can’t believe we took a tight end and running back

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The tight end doesn’t bother me because I think he’ll be a major upgrade, but picking another running back was absolutely dumbfounding.  If our new GM really thinks “you can’t have enough backs” he’s an imbecile.  We passed on some pretty interesting talent at WR and both lines, and as it stands now we don’t have another pick till the 5th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The big, tall TE pick creates interesting mismatches due to our other receivers.  We do have some speed guys at WR… question is if any of them are good enough.  Regarding the RB, it surprised me like others, nevertheless, as I said on Red Board:I see 3rd down back with potential spark... we haven't had something like that in a long time.  none of our current rb were really considered receiving threats who could also pick up the blitz when needed.Being the optimist, I could see the following work: use big bodied receivers/TE going down the field... open up a ton of space underneath... use release passes to the flat where a receiver type rb can make the LB miss and have space... WR/TEs use big bodies to block downfield... potential for big plays through release valve.  woodhead and vereen (i think) are classic examples here.Regardless, i really wanted a guard there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was an interesting pick in the 3rd round.  I think he reminds me of Jerry Eckwood.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Serviceable guards should still be available in FA and we still have a few dollars.  I never think of draftees after R3 as probable starters.  We couldn’t fill all the wishes in one draft without trading back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t agree the TE pick was a mistake of ANY kind.  Yes we signed a TE in FA but he isn’t of the quality of the one we drafted.  It looks like they are really building an offense for the Bucs.I am another one though that doesn't understand the rb pick.  He may be very good and I actually think he will be but we had a full stable of running backs already and were probably going to cut Michael Smith as it is.Now we will either be cutting another one (either Bobby Rainey or Mike James) unless the thinking is to keep 4 running backs.  However, if we keep them all, that will be FIVE counting Demps.....unless they are going to count him as a WR.A little confused but I do expect Sims to be a good one.  Just wondering who is going to block the DTs now.  He may have a little trouble dodging them in the backfield.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

With Gabe Jackson and Trai Turner still on the board, I think they’re really gonna regret spending that 3rd on a RB….I can't say I'm comfortable with the way Lovie and Licht are handling depth on the o-line. The moves continue to confound, unless Nicks is really coming back strong - something I continue to have my own doubts about.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Look at it like this… 3 WR 2 HB sets..V-Jax + Mike on the outsideAustin in the middleDoug + Sims in the backfieldYou can throw deep, into the seam, you can screen, you can throw to the hot read on either side of the ball and most defenses don't have dominant outside linebackers on both spots.I actually like the idea of the mismatches we're creating. With how pass oriented this league is becoming, I see playmakers from all 3 picks.Don't get me wrong, filling a need is important but when you have a chance to add Playmakers... YOU DO IT!!!!Don't be so sour until you see it on the field. I like the idea, especially with McCown's experience throwing to big guys trusting his arm, and his mobility to find time.Great things are brewing!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The third rounder was a stupid pick. Quintessential “can’t see the forest through the trees” move.  Why yes Licht, your OC is probably screaming for a nice-sized, pass-catching RB. He happens to have a few guys who are almost-as-good at that already (in addition to other skills) but he wants HIS guy. Tell him no, sorry, we can sign someone off the street a la Bobby Rainey or spend a late round flier on a guy like Mike James, or hell, maybe just use Bobby Rainey or Mike James, maybe that would work. No, let's appease the coach and draft a guy because we don't think anyone catches the ball QUITE like him. Does anyone outside of the front office think that there is a lot to be gained by adding another running back to the roster with a black hole at guard and weaknesses in other parts of the roster? Does keeping Doug Martin on the bench help the offense in any way?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Complaining is so predictable. Bucs fans cry like babies when the GM drafts the best player on their board when the pick comes around. Of course, people used to LOVE Dominik’s drafts… Look at how all his pre-Schiano picks turned out…. How about keeping an open mind and looking at the positives on these picks? Jeezus… get a fracking grip dude.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was shocked at the Sims pick. I THOUGHT RB was our deepest position. I THOUGHT G was our weakest position. Did ANYONE see this coming? Do the Buccaneers think that little of Rainey, James, Demps and Smith? Or that OL is not all that important? Now I'm hoping there's more to this than I can possible see right now. Maybe we have G's on the bench who are ready, or plans to bring some vets in when they are cut to make room for rookies. I don't know. I know LESS than I ever thought I knew.All these changes had better bring immediate positive results or the crap will hit the fan.............again. Here's hoping they do! For now, I'm on board, all in. I have to trust the professionals.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Complaining is so predictable. Bucs fans cry like babies when the GM drafts the best player on their board when the pick comes around. Of course, people used to LOVE Dominik's drafts... Look at how all his pre-Schiano picks turned out.... How about keeping an open mind and looking at the positives on these picks? Jeezus... get a fracking grip dude.

Even though I was just as shocked with the RB pick you do have a point. Most of Dom's drafts where highly praised and we don't have a lot to show for it. Obviously they have a clear idea of what they want him for and why, but it is tough to understand considering the apparent need at G.I will keep your advice in mind and stay positive, but you must agree that what seems like a gaping hole at G is quite scary...Well at least no one can claim that they only draft for need or that they don't trust their own evaluations of BPA...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sims brings a totallly different skillset that we do need…All three of our backs are similar and two of them are coming back of injury.  Do you really think any team is concerned with Martin, Rainey or James in the passing game?  Martin is a barely average receiver…Also, I am not sure what Demps is… I wonder if they are just going to use mostly on special teams.  He was a great punt and kick returner in college…Jenkins is an excellent pick... When you have threats like Evans, Jackson and Jenkins it will make our other receivers even better... I am not sure we even need to go out and get a slot onw...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Complaining is so predictable. Bucs fans cry like babies when the GM drafts the best player on their board when the pick comes around. Of course, people used to LOVE Dominik's drafts... Look at how all his pre-Schiano picks turned out.... How about keeping an open mind and looking at the positives on these picks? Jeezus... get a fracking grip dude.

So let me get this argument straight, we should keep an open mind and like these draft picks (regardless of who they pick) because a lot of people liked Dominik's draft picks and were proven wrong. So, again, let's keep an "open mind" and "look at the positive" BECAUSE people 'loved' previous picks of the former GM and were wrong when they did. Good logic there buddy. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was an interesting pick in the 3rd round.  I think he reminds me of Jerry Eckwood.

a little bit.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was shocked at the Sims pick. I THOUGHT RB was our deepest position. I THOUGHT G was our weakest position. Did ANYONE see this coming? Do the Buccaneers think that little of Rainey, James, Demps and Smith? Or that OL is not all that important? Now I'm hoping there's more to this than I can possible see right now. Maybe we have G's on the bench who are ready, or plans to bring some vets in when they are cut to make room for rookies. I don't know. I know LESS than I ever thought I knew.All these changes had better bring immediate positive results or the crap will hit the fan.............again. Here's hoping they do! For now, I'm on board, all in. I have to trust the professionals.

Garv, based on what I know of Sims and Lichts' presser, I'd say that:- They like Martin, Rainey, and James, but don't believe any of them are as useful in the passing game as Sims. Sims is a legit option to roll into the slot. He's that good a receiver. Just a guess, but with all the size we have now on the outside I could see a lot of bubble screens to Martin and Sims to get them into space. - Demps is fast, but what is he? He's a potential pass-game weapon out of the slot, might be a KR but he's sort of a one-trick pony. And he's not as good a football player as Sims. Plus he's fragile - I like that he's on the team, but I've never felt comfortable counting on him. He's a bonus player to me. - Smith isn't in the equation, and really, why should he be? He's stop-watch fast, was not very productive at Utah State, and didn't consistently play as fast when he was in. He's done zippy for the Bucs. Licht addressed OL in his press conference. He's very well aware of holes, but indicated that there are a lot of avenues still available. At this point, I think I'd just skip the position in the draft, pick up some long term development guys as udfa, and then start bringing in the parade of veterans. Not just those available now, but guys that will get dropped this summer. I think at this point we look for stop-gaps, not long-term solutions. And honestly at G, that's a valid option.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s perfectly legitimate to question the selection of Sims over G Gabe Jackson or similar.  It will be legitimate to criticize Lovie  if the Oline fails due to performance or depth during the 2014 season.  But it’s also unreasonable to say on May 10th after 3 rounds of draft that we’re doomed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

After thinking about this some more I have no problem with Sims himself, rather just the lack of addressing the black hole at G. I actually expect Sims to be a real 3rd down weapon for us and even more on regular plays. He really IS a terrific receiver and good in space.I suspect some of us (myself specifically included) may have gotten caught not following our own long-held belief they should draft the best player available instead of for need. I know that I have posted for years almost ad nauseam that "we should always draft BPA regardless of position. That's how you draft pro bowlers",  Now it looks like I got caught not following my own advice.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any one to say were doomed just because we didn't draft who they wanted an think they know more than L&L  is unknowledgeable an truly clueless It's May 10th get a grip    IMHO    Thanks

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I suspect L & L are aware of the need to get guards in camp – Oline is a concern on this board and the bucs are aware of…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I personally feel its a tad bit premature to say the team “mailed” it-in…what I see unfolding is players being drafted to give the team flexibility in the personnel packages they deploy – the way I see it is the team can huddle and set in a base personnel package of 21 with Jackson, Evans, Martin, Sims and a TE (Myers, Wright or ASJ) and easily motion into 11 personnel with Sims being flanked into the slot making it harder for opposing defenses to combat it with their personnel. Thus giving Tedford and McCown an advantage.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lecturing other posters about the legitimacy of their complaints is rather predictable as well.  Seems like we’ve always got one or two self-appointed board scolds who are taken by surprise when the content of the posts reflects the title of the thread. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s unfathomable to think that posters on a football message board in May would have opinions and post them here, some of which do not agree with others. Hey, let’s tell everyone to shut up and stop complaining, because, the best message boards are the ones without any opinions on them. Amiright?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think we have done a decent job in selecting players that fit our new schemes.  Think about it: we have tall offensive weapons.  When Sims is at the RB slot he can run, block, or be a receiver.  Those are serious offensive weapons.  I still see Martin being traded at some point in time this season to a team that has a need for his size;  we actually don’t need him that much.  I know this is just my opinion, I think martin has good trade value.  Is Martin a need in our new scheme?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How much could we get for Martin, especially coming off an injury?  I wouldn’t mind trading him but RBs haven’t exactly been a hot commodity lately, either in free agency or thus far in the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I apologize for my statement  everyone is entitled to there opinion

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So let me get this argument straight, we should keep an open mind and like these draft picks (regardless of who they pick) because a lot of people liked Dominik's draft picks and were proven wrong. So, again, let's keep an "open mind" and "look at the positive" BECAUSE people 'loved' previous picks of the former GM and were wrong when they did. Good logic there buddy.

Well thanks for being an A55. My point was to stop the b1tching and m0aning and give these guys a chance to play here before lining up to fire L&L. And to stop with the snap judgements. It's not like these are bad players... and maybe L&L know a little bit better than most people. Why be miserable, complaining jerks right after the draft unless the picks are completely unreasonable? These picks were not,.. at all. Based on value, they picked very well and all of these guys can and will play for us. Why be so focused on the negative when, taking a step back from one's own narrow point of view, there's a whole lot more positive about these picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well thanks for being an A55. My point was to stop the b1tching and m0aning and give these guys a chance to play here before lining up to fire L&L. And to stop with the snap judgements. It's not like these are bad players... and maybe L&L know a little bit better than most people. Why be miserable, complaining jerks right after the draft unless the picks are completely unreasonable? These picks were not,.. at all. Based on value, they picked very well and all of these guys can and will play for us. Why be so focused on the negative when, taking a step back from one's own narrow point of view, there's a whole lot more positive about these picks.

So I guess it's alright to make snap judgments as long as you approve of the pick? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garv, based on what I know of Sims and Lichts' presser, I'd say that:- They like Martin, Rainey, and James, but don't believe any of them are as useful in the passing game as Sims. Sims is a legit option to roll into the slot. He's that good a receiver. Just a guess, but with all the size we have now on the outside I could see a lot of bubble screens to Martin and Sims to get them into space. - Demps is fast, but what is he? He's a potential pass-game weapon out of the slot, might be a KR but he's sort of a one-trick pony. And he's not as good a football player as Sims. Plus he's fragile - I like that he's on the team, but I've never felt comfortable counting on him. He's a bonus player to me. - Smith isn't in the equation, and really, why should he be? He's stop-watch fast, was not very productive at Utah State, and didn't consistently play as fast when he was in. He's done zippy for the Bucs. Licht addressed OL in his press conference. He's very well aware of holes, but indicated that there are a lot of avenues still available. At this point, I think I'd just skip the position in the draft, pick up some long term development guys as udfa, and then start bringing in the parade of veterans. Not just those available now, but guys that will get dropped this summer. I think at this point we look for stop-gaps, not long-term solutions. And honestly at G, that's a valid option.

Good response Booker, well thought out. I too feel much better about the pick this morning. And yes, I STILL love the match-up problems the Buccaneers will give D's with VJ, Evans, Seferian-Jenkins and now Sims. This is tailor made for McCown and even McCown to succeed. WEAPONS! And if healthy, we cannot forget Doug Martin's return to health. And maybe even Carl Nicks?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey, nobody can complain on the birthday boy parade today; I’m 68 and earned every bit of it.  So far I think we have drafted okay and we are filling our position needs with BPA.  Nobody said that the need must go by priority; only some of us fans put our priority needs based on our opinions and most of us don’t know jack..

Please wait…

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.