Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• buccaneer4ever

Participant

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are a team known for their fearsome Defenses. Since the team began in 1976, the Bucs have had multiple years of success on the Defensive side of the ball. It culminated with a Super Bowl win in 2002 and an NFCC title appearance in 1979.But what about the Buccaneer Offenses? Surely a team with almost 40 years in the league must have had a few good rankings here and there, just by chance if nothing else. Sometimes the ball simply bounces your way.In the history of the Tampa Bay Buccaneer franchise, the Offense has been ranked in the Top 10, using the metric of Yards Per Game, only 3 times. In 1984 and 2003 the Bucs were ranked #10. In 2012, the Bucs were ranked #9. Let’s take a look at each and see which one qualifies as the Greatest Buccaneer Offense of All Time.1984Led by Steve DeBerg’s 60.5% completion rating, the 1984 Bucs scored 39 touchdowns, 22 through the air (two of them were thrown by Jack Thompson), and 17 on the ground. 13 of those were scored by the incredible James Wilder who rushed for 1,544 yards and added 685 more as a receiver (he was the leader in both categories). He also threw for a TD.2003Brad Johnson followed up his Super Bowl win with a 62.1% completion rating and 26 TD throws. Shaun King added another. Michael Pittman stormed through opposing Defenses for 751 yards, but couldn’t break the plane on 187 attempts. Thomas Jones scored 3 TDs and Mike Alstott ran over some guys for 2 more, giving the 2003 Bucs Offense a total of 32. Keenan McCardell had 1174 receiving yards and 8 scores.2012Despite a dismal 54.8% completion rating, Josh Freeman threw for 4,065 yards and 27 TDs. Doug Martin threw his hat in the ring for OROY with 1,454 yards on the ground and another 472 receiving. The dynamic duo of Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams had a combined 2380 yards, 17 TDs and 135 receptions. Altogether, this team had 40 TDs.So, Bucs fans, which of these teams had the Greatest Buccaneer Offense of All Time? If you choose other in the poll, let us know your pick and why.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This thread is depressing. We’ve been so bad at offense basically our entire existence lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2012 was a great year for us offensively but it’ll alway be tainted in my mind by the way Freeman ended the season.  Even when he was on his hot streak I cringed almost every time he let the ball go.  I was just waiting for the other shoe to drop… and then it dropped hard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The unfortunate thing about both 2003 and 2012 was we got killed by having too many interceptions. I think 2010 should be in the discussion because while that team did not gain a ton of yards, they were very efficient, ranking tied for #6 overall in yards per play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I tried to stay away from teams like 2010 where there was a lot of speculation and stick with YPG, even though it’s not my favorite metric.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I tried to stay away from teams like 2010 where there was a lot of speculation and stick with YPG, even though it's not my favorite metric.

I'm certainly not being critical of you. Just looking for any silver lining in 35 years of consistently crappy offenses.  :D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 2000 squad that Steckel OC’d probably deserves an honorable mention.  Which, like pretty much all of these, is sort of damning with faint praise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 2000 squad that Steckel OC'd probably deserves an honorable mention.  Which, like pretty much all of these, is sort of damning with faint praise.

+1

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 2000 squad that Steckel OC'd probably deserves an honorable mention.  Which, like pretty much all of these, is sort of damning with faint praise.

Most points in team history until 2012.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Of those 3 choices, it’s either 1984 or 2003.  No way in hell was it that crap 2012 team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed, that was my first thought.  By the way, what a beast Wilder was.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tallest midget

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The 2012 offense gave me hope for a 4th quarter win. 2013 was a nightmare. I hope 2014 sets some records.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

2003 offense scored 17 or fewer points 11 games. 2012 team only did it 4 games. 2003 O with 2012 D would be a 2 or 3 win team. 2012 O with 2003 D would be a 13 or 14 win team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Anyone who says 2012, doesn’t know football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Damn right.... CROWN US !!!!!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This thread is depressing. We've been so bad at offense basically our entire existence lol

Yea the best Buc's Offense is the worst of other teams. LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When I was looking through all the years trying to even find Top 10 Offenses, there were so, so many in the 24-28 range. 1984 was like this bright, shining light upon the hill.The you realize that our RB was also our #1 WR and you get even more depressed. 2003 had some of the worst running I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely pitiful. Pittman had a 4.0 YPC and 0 TDs. If Gruden had handed off the Alstott more often, I wonder where we could have gotten instead?The 2012 Offense was led by a incredibly inconsistent and inaccurate QB, but we had WRs on the outside making incredibly athletic plays and a RB who put together some amazing games.It truly is like picking the tallest midget.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The you realize that our RB was also our #1 WR and you get even more depressed. 2003 had some of the worst running I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely pitiful. Pittman had a 4.0 YPC and 0 TDs. If Gruden had handed off the Alstott more often, I wonder where we could have gotten instead?

You mean Thomas Jones.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The you realize that our RB was also our #1 WR and you get even more depressed. 2003 had some of the worst running I've ever witnessed. It was absolutely pitiful. Pittman had a 4.0 YPC and 0 TDs. If Gruden had handed off the Alstott more often, I wonder where we could have gotten instead?

You mean Thomas Jones.

Gruden hated Alstott.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always thought Gruden’s supposed hatred of Alstott was likely wildly overrated.  His carries in 2002 were right in line with what they were in 2000 and 2001, and he was injured in 2003.  I don’t think he ever really came back 100% from that injury.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This thread is depressing. We've been so bad at offense basically our entire existence lol

Agreed. "great" and "buccaneer offense" should never be used in the same sentence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always thought Gruden's supposed hatred of Alstott was likely wildly overrated.  His carries in 2002 were right in line with what they were in 2000 and 2001, and he was injured in 2003.  I don't think he ever really came back 100% from that injury.

Gruden had(has) a belief that every play he calls has TD potential.  He didn't like the grind out a first down type thought process.  While I am sure Alstott's #s were similar with Gruden calling the shots, I do believe he could have been used differently. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always thought Gruden's supposed hatred of Alstott was likely wildly overrated.  His carries in 2002 were right in line with what they were in 2000 and 2001, and he was injured in 2003.  I don't think he ever really came back 100% from that injury.

Alstott was washed up for multiple years at the end. Gruden's supposed hared of Alstott was based on fanboys' false perception of what Alstott was capable of.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Alstott was washed up for multiple years at the end. Gruden's supposed hared of Alstott was based on fanboys' false perception of what Alstott was capable of.

I personally was never a huge Alstott fan.  Great piece but just that, a piece.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly , and he had major neck issues at the end also.  Gruden probably saved him from a life in a wheelchair by lightening his load.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a very sad list.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You mean Thomas Jones.

Yes, I do. It's sad that we had that guy here and kept feeding it to Pittman instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a very sad list.

..and despite this history , many on this board wanted to spend our #7 overall on a nose tackle. It's no wonder we've never had a decent offense....

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.