Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Cook recommends drafting Trask, because he fits Arians style of offense. Well all indications is that Trask won’t be around at the end of Round 2, so Cook must be referring to the Bucs 1st round pick.

But that begs the question how long is Arians going to be here? He’s finished two years out of a four year deal with a 5th year option. If you draft a QB in Round 1 you are doing so because you want that QB to be your guy for five years minimum, hopefully more.

Trask’s first year and possibly second would be holding a clipboard for Tom Brady, and Arians would presumably be the head coach during that time. But then just as it would be time for Trask to step into the starting lineup it could very well be time for Arians to call it a career.

So should we even bother to draft any 1st round QB if we don’t know who the coach is going to be two or three years from now, once it comes time for that player to step into the starting role? Does Arians have any desire to work with a rookie quarterback? In my opinion, you don’t waste a first rounder on a quarterback unless you have a long term plan in effect. Of course things don’t always work out in the NFL, but at least you have the plan.

We would have to have a long term commitment from Arians, and I just get the feeling Arians is going to be here a couple more years but that’s about it. Perhaps it will be longer, who knows? But I just don’t think we should be spending a 1st rounder on a QB this offseason. 2nd or later is fine, but not first.

• Nobody

Participant

Awful idea. If we’re all-in for these two years, you don’t pull a dumbass GB move and waste premium draft capital one someone who isn’t going to see the field in 2021.

I haven’t looked at these prospects enough to have a definitive position, but my guess is the offseason may look something like the below given how few players we have under contract, how strapped we are $-wise and the fact that Arians et al is clearly prioritizing keeping this defense together. If I had to guess right now:

NOT BACK

* Suh (retires)
      * Fournette
      * Godwin
      * Jensen

BACK

* Gronk on a discounted number
      * LVD on 3 year contract (which is really a 2 year with an option)
      * Barrett on 5 year contract (which is really 3 year with a chunk of dead money in 4, JPP’s contract, and complete option in 5)
      * AB with a bit of a raise
      * (the three above splitting Jensen’s 2020 cap #)
      * Brate on a restructure and extension (lowering 2021 cap number)
      * DSmith with extension that lowers his 2021 cap number

DRAFT

RD 1 * iOL – Landon Dickerson or Creed Humphrey and put him at Center
      RD 2 * iDL – Alim McNeil or Levi Onwuzurike

FREE AGENT

RB – Mike Davis or James White

+++++++++++++++++++

On OJ. Achiles is historically a disaster. However, I’m inclined to think that the surgery + recovery methodology has increased recently given Durant’s amazing recovery. But I’m skeptical here. Exploding out of a 3 point stance to Run Block 265 lbers, laterally to Reach Block, and getting vertical in Pass Routes is enormously achiles-intensive. Until proven otherwise, I’m expecting an OJ with diminished vertical explosiveness (which, if that is the case, I’m not expecting a ton from him next year). Sucks, but that is my expectation presently.

• Pennywise

Participant

You dont wait for brady to retire either before finding his replacement…JL just said yesterday this team is built for the future too,not a 2 year window.</p><br />
      <p>Get a QB let him watch brady for a year.

• Roy

Participant

OK, Penny. If the next Watson or Mahomes, somebody who has physical gifts in addition to QB skills, then I would have a different opinion. The Packers drafted Jordan Love with no intention of starting him right away, but he has physical skills nobody can teach. The idea is to build up an offense to fit him. We still have to see how that works out, but the reasoning was that there aren’t a lot of guys with those kinds of abilities, so you do all you can to get that kind of player when you can.

But correct me if I’m wrong, but guys like Trask are not special athletes and are more dependent on being in the right system. You don’t tailor your offense to fit him. A big reason to draft him, according to Cook, is that he fits Arians’ system.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Big NO to trask.

• Pennywise

Participant

Packers also drafted Rodgers when they had Farve,and let him sit and watch ,how did that workout?

• Pennywise

Participant

And for the record ,I wouldnt touch trask and ,said so months ago in the trask thread, career backup at best

• theknees

Participant

Trask isn’t a gamer, mental makeup guy. He’s certainly no starter in the NFL. Good developmental player for a backup.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

@theknees wrote:

Trask isn’t a gamer, mental makeup guy. He’s certainly no starter in the NFL. Good developmental player for a backup.

I don’t know much about trask, but I heard something similar when it came to Herbert. Yet, he’s looking very well for the Chargers. He’s the 3rd QB taken. It’s a reminder the draft is still a gamble. We won it too with Wirfs being the 4th OT taken in the top half of the first round.

• BucHarbour

Participant

Teams that continue to be playoff material through QB changes do it best when they draft the replacement before the star QB retires. The Packers did it right by having Rogers before Favre moved on, allowing them to keep going. The simple reality is, if we don’t draft a promising QB this year, and Brady starts rapidly declining, or retires after next year, we’ll be have a great young team without a QB ready to take over. That means wasted years for some of these players we have.

As far as Trask is concerned, I had no hopes for this guy when he came in for Franks, the first time, but he did seem to have a better grasp on where to attack the defense. When he came in for Franks in the Miami game, I was like “why hasn’t this guy been starting all this time?” He’s definitely got some Brady in him. Mobility wise he’s not immobile like Brady. But he’s not Mahomes, either. Kind of think of Brady as a Pinto, Trask is a Mustang, and Mahomes is a GT. Trask can run, he just doesn’t do it much. He kind of runs Tebow-esque without that power to run dudes over. But he’s not exactly small either. He’s also the QB that kept the Gators in the game against the Tide this year and the Tigers last year. The bowl was kind of like Brady’s first game with a lack of timing with the new players.

He’d be perfect for this team to train under Brady to take over in 2-3 years from now. Would hate to have to take him with the 31st or 32nd draft pick, but QB’s always have higher value. We don’t have a ton of needs and could afford to use the pick on a QB this year. Will be interesting to see what Licht and Arians are thinking when we get to the draft. For now, they have other things to think about.

• Greattimes

Participant

Trask will be gone by the time the Bucs pick.

• theknees

Participant

Trask will be gone by the time the Bucs pick.

Lolz

• Mark Cook

Participant

At least read it before Trasking me 😂😂

• garfield

Participant

Trask is good and people hating on him because of the Oklahoma game when half the team was out and his top 5 receivers sat out are being foolish. Might not ever be a great prop or anything, but even being a quality backup in the league for many years is still an accomplishment. He torched Alabama with his full compliment of weapons just a week prior to the Oklahoma game.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.