Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• Biggs3535

Participant

These numbers are happening damn-near every weekend. It’s a shame they haven’t thought about making guns illegal. That would do the trick, as I understand it:

https://abc7chicago.com/58-shot-8-fatally-in-weekend-violence-cpd/10896731/

Eleven people have been killed and 45 others wounded in shootings across Chicago over the weekend, police said.

Horrible leadership. Their racist mayor has no idea how to handle the continued violence, calling in the Feds for help.

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

You just called Chicago’s mayor a racist??

That’s not possible, if you ask the Trash(D)Party.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Another beautiful weekend in the great city of Chicago:

https://abc7chicago.com/chicago-shootings-gun-violence-police-weekend/10909776/

Chicago shootings: 70 shot, 12 fatally, in weekend violence across city

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Probably more guns and more tax cuts for the wealthy would solve it… I’d imagine

• TheChronicHotAir

Participant

Ban people with mental illness from purchasing guns.

To reiterate, I think we should keep guns out of Democrat’s hands.

#Trash(D)Party

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Probably more guns and more tax cuts for the wealthy would solve it… I’d imagine

I’m sure if we banned guns, the shootings in Chicago would decrease dramatically simply due to the gangs following the law.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

This is a straw man… I don’t advocate for banning guns.

You already know this tho…

Gang violence isn’t the same as mass shootings, or apocalypse hoarding, or militias invading government buildings, etc.

You all KNOW this but you USE Chicago to drive home your point (to do nothing?) Because it is low-hanging fruit

• Biggs3535

Participant

It’s worth a shot. Hell, whatever your people are doing up there isn’t working worth a damn with murders by the dozen every friggin’ weekend.

All while their shitty, racist Mayor is doing podcasts for the New York Times. She’s completely incompetent, and I wouldn’t be surprised at all if those nitwits elected her for a second term.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

“Your people” lmfao

This Chicago argument comes up once a month. You all have a nice rotation going… Kermit56 turn next month

• Biggs3535

Participant

This Chicago argument comes up once a month.

Every Monday, it’s newsworthy to see how many people were shot and killed in the liberal Mecca of Chicago – a city with some of the strictest gun laws in the country. It’s almost like criminals don’t give a shit about breaking laws.

I can why you people don’t really like to hear about it or address it at all, but I’ll be updating this thread periodically for shits and giggles.

• Roy

Participant

Too bad their gun law was overturned because it was a little too restrictive in terms of the 2nd Amendment. Maybe they should just allow unlimited open carry like in Texas. Do you think that would help?

• Biggs3535

Participant

Too bad their gun law was overturned because it was a little too restrictive in terms of the 2nd Amendment.

Their gun law, as if there is just one?

There aren’t any gun stores in the city of Chicago, but you’re referencing a gun law from a decade ago? Which honestly makes the point that Chicago is one of the strictest anti-gun cities in the country, since they passed a law that was ruled unconstitutional. If not for the courts, this Liberal Mecca would be Stalin’s Moscow.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

You all KNOW this but you USE Chicago to drive home your point (to do nothing?) Because it is low-hanging fruit

Chicago does drive home our point.

The problem has nothing to do with guns.

• Biggs3535

Participant

This is a straw man… I don’t advocate for banning guns

It’s not much of a straw man when the President said in his town hall that he wants to ban 9mm pistols:

I’m the only guy that ever got passed legislation, when I was a senator, to make sure we eliminated assault weapons. The idea you need a weapon that can have the ability to fire 20, 30, 40, 50, 120 shots from that weapon, whether — whether it’s a 9-millimeter pistol or whether it’s a rifle, is ridiculous. I’m continuing to push to eliminate the sale of those things.I’m the only guy that ever got passed legislation, when I was a senator, to make sure we eliminated assault weapons. The idea you need a weapon that can have the ability to fire 20, 30, 40, 50, 120 shots from that weapon, whether — whether it’s a 9-millimeter pistol or whether it’s a rifle, is ridiculous. I’m continuing to push to eliminate the sale of those things.

It’s humorous to watch the “Fact Checkers” mental gymnastics on this one.

• Roy

Participant

Too bad their gun law was overturned because it was a little too restrictive in terms of the 2nd Amendment.

Their gun law, as if there is just one?

There aren’t any gun stores in the city of Chicago, but you’re referencing a gun law from a decade ago? Which honestly makes the point that Chicago is one of the strictest anti-gun cities in the country, since they passed a law that was ruled unconstitutional. If not for the courts, this Liberal Mecca would be Stalin’s Moscow.

The unconstitutional gun law was not put into effect. That was because it was unconstitutional. And I’m fine with that. You don’t get to pick and choose which parts of the Constitution you like and which ones you would prefer to change. But there are gun regulations that ARE constitutional, as the Supreme Court has ruled in effect that “well regulated” means “well regulated.” Any gun law that prevents law abiding people from owning guns is unconstitutional. But yes you can have regulations on them such as registration, no assault weapons, background checks and so forth. It’s pretty simple, but there seem to be many 2nd Amendment folks who don’t know the 2nd Amendment. If you are going to focus on just one amendment, is it too much to ask that you know that amendment? It’s only one sentence!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

• Biggs3535

Participant

It’s pretty simple, but there seem to be many 2nd Amendment folks who don’t know the 2nd Amendment. If you are going to focus on just one amendment, is it too much to ask that you know that amendment? It’s only one sentence!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Who are these 2A folks that don’t know the 2A? Because the President is equating a 9mm with an “assault weapon” – like most folks who don’t know a damn thing about guns.

And there are plenty of legal scholars that would argue “no assault weapons” doesn’t jibe with “shall not be infringed.”

• Roy

Participant

It’s pretty simple, but there seem to be many 2nd Amendment folks who don’t know the 2nd Amendment. If you are going to focus on just one amendment, is it too much to ask that you know that amendment? It’s only one sentence!

Who are these 2A folks that don’t know the 2A? Because the President is equating a 9mm with an “assault weapon” – like most folks who don’t know a damn thing about guns.

And there are plenty of legal scholars that would argue “no assault weapons” doesn’t jibe with “shall not be infringed.”

That’s an argument you can agree with or not. Those are the details. But the fact that guns can be regulated has been firmly established by the Supreme Court, opinion written by conservative hero Antonin Scalia.

• spartan

Participant

It’s humorous to watch the “Fact Checkers” mental gymnastics on this one.

Kinda funny seeing Politifact argue that Biden did not in fact say he wanted to ban 9mm automatic pistols because he was either totally incoherent or totally got his facts wrong.

• spartan

Participant

With regards to an “assault weapons ban”. It’s been done before so I would say the argument that it is unconstitutional is on shaky ground.

• Kermit56

Participant

Can someone please, please, define an assault weapon?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

DH for all the bitching you do about “my side good your side bad” you still do plenty of it yourself

Here’s a little hint for everyone on this thread… just because Biden said something doesn’t mean I agree with it or will support it.

I know you’re all used to cult-like devotion from the past four year but it’s to ASK if me if I agree with it.

I don’t think banning guns is the answer. I believe there is common ground in the middle but NRA money won’t support politicians from changing even the most basic of functions.

And round and round we go…
      You say Chicago
      I say mass shootings
      Blah blah blah
      Background checks, mental health screenings, waiting periods…
      Banning guns isn’t the answer for 2 reasons:
      1.) Even if it were, it will never pass congress
      2.) It doesn’t solve the fundamental issue of mental health + ease of access

• spartan

Participant

Here’s a little hint for everyone on this thread… just because Biden said something doesn’t mean I agree with it or will support it.

I vaguely remember saying something like this, repeatedly, about a former President. It didn’t cut much ice back then. Trumper, Trump, Trumper blah blah blah.

As it happens I am inclined to believe you. But may still give you a hard time anyway for pay back :)

• Biggs3535

Participant

Whether you agree with it or not is of little consequence. You aren’t the President who is trying to make policy. The President did make that argument and is trying to make it policy. Therefore, it isn’t a strawman argument – like you said it was.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Sure it is… it’s a strawman because you’re trying to pin poster or a side to what Biden says and does.

Should I assume that DH agreed with everything Trump did because he voted for him?

Of course not…

The difference is Biden doesn’t have a cult following like Trump. People voted against Trump, not for Biden.

There will always be people that blindly support a side, but there’s never been anything like what Trump gets…

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

DH for all the bitching you do about “my side good your side bad” you still do plenty of it yourself

Really?

Give an example.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

• spartan

Participant

Sure it is… it’s a strawman because you’re trying to pin poster or a side to what Biden says and does.

Should I assume that DH agreed with everything Trump did because he voted for him?

Dude, with all due respect, that’s all you and he who has disappeared did for 4 years. I happen to believe you as I said, but I am kinda enjoying watching you put forth the same arguments some of us were saying during that entire time. Especially since you advocated it was a load of old bollocks back then, now? Not so much.

• Biggs3535

Participant

Nobody is trying to pin you to anything, at least I’m certainly not. You don’t want to ban guns? Great, but you’re beliefs are insignificant when the people in charge do want to ban guns – and plenty of them do. More and more of them are finally admitting what most people have been saying for decades.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

I’ll say this… I think that is a fair point.

However, many here failed to do what I just did… which is to say you disagree with what he did/said etc.

It was typically silence when you disagreed (presumably).

Then lots of rationalizing, justifying, or pivoting.

Would have been far more productive if you said what I said…

So not quite the same thing imo

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

So, your one example is referring to something Biggs and I agree on and me referring to “us”? That’s the best example you could come up with?

By the way, have guns directly effected you in any way? I thought someone on here said we can’t have a take on the subject unless it did?

• FireLicht2020

Participant

You tried to make this point last time and I’ll give you the same answer now that I gave you then.

Yes

One of my best friends, who served, committed suicide with a gun.

I’ve also had someone brandish a gun at me while at the beach… nothing crazy but that person overreacted to something minor and felt it appropriate to show me he’s packing.

• spartan

Participant

Then lots of rationalizing, justifying, or pivoting.

Not necessarily. It seems that over the last few years it became that you had to believe everything or nothing at all. There was no in between.

kudos for your response BTW.

• Biggs3535

Participant

We just need some more laws for criminals to ignore, then all of this will vanish…

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2021/9/11/22668249/weekend-gun-violence-homicides-shootings

At least 64 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend, including a 12-year-old boy killed by his mother, and an off-duty firefighter and his 15-year-old niece wounded in one of two mass shootings in the city, according to police.

At nine killed, the weekend was deadlier than the extended Labor Day holiday weekend, when 67 people were shot, six of them fatally.

Several children were shot over the weekend. Two boys, 12 and 13, were wounded Friday night while standing on a front porch in the Austin neighborhood. Five shooting victims were 16 years old.

• RK Barrett

Participant

then all of this will vanish

lol

its a Trumper thing

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.