Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The NFL’s Next Big Thing Isn’t Really Big at AllBut Clemson wideout Sammy Watkins has the strength to outmuscle linebackers and the speed to leave cornerbacks in his dust. Can this potential top five pick break the mold, or will he just end up breaking a general manager’s heart?Greg A. Bedard    SI.comApril 15th  2014sammy_zps5c6ea136.jpgClemson’s Sammy Watkins is either going to be a prospect who changes the game when it comes to evaluating receivers for the NFL draft, or he’s going to reinforce long-held beliefs about the position. When you picture the most physically gifted and dominating receivers in today’s NFL, the list goes something like this: Calvin Johnson, A.J. Green, Andre Johnson, Dez Bryant, Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, Julio Jones, Josh Gordon and Demaryius Thomas. They are the best of the best, true nightmare matchups, players for whom defensive coordinators must tailor their game plans. What do they have in common? They are all extremely strong on the ball in contested scenarios, and each is a perfect blend of size, speed and overall athletic ability. And did I mention size? All of the aforementioned but Bryant and Andre Johnson measured 6-foot-3 or taller at their respective combines. And those two—who aren’t exactly smurfs at a combine-measured 6-foot-2—have vertical jumps of at least 38 inches (not to mention 34-inch arms) that allow them to play even bigger. Watkins is being talked about as a sure-fire top-10 pick in next month’s draft, perhaps even a top-five pick, which means people are expecting him to have the same impact as today’s top receivers. Yet he stands a mere six-feet and three-quarters of an inch, with 32-inch arms, and has a pedestrian 34-inch vertical. Which means Watkins will have to break the mold in order to live up to the hype. He may be just the player to do it, because he’s so different from any prospect I can remember seeing. Watkins’ closest NFL comparables are Donte’ Stallworth (the 13th overall pick in 2002) and Torrey Smith (the 58th pick in 2011). Neither of those two has ever earned a Pro Bowl nod, although Smith has developed into a very good player and would be a top 20 pick in a redo of his draft. sammy1_zps28e229f1.jpgWatkins against Georgia last August. (Al Tielemans/Sports Illustrated/The MMQB) Like Watkins, Stallworth and Smith are just a shade over six feet. And all three can run—Watkins clocked a 4.43 in the 40, while Stallworth and Smith, respectively, posted a 4.22 and a 4.41. If there’s one big difference, however, it’s that Stallworth and Smith have much better vertical leaps (39 and 41 inches). But it is Watkins’ build that could prove to be the next step in the evolution of wideouts. For a player of his height, we have yet to see his kind of physical package on an NFL field. While Smith and Stallworth were skinny coming out of college, about 200 pounds each, Watkins weighed in at 211 pounds—and he plays even stronger. He’s essentially a young Anquan Boldin, with speed to burn. Watch Watkins bowl over an Ohio State defender after catching a short pass; watch him block for a teammate; and watch him catch a pass falling out of bounds with a defender all over his back. These are rare qualities to see in a prospect at the nascent stage of his pro career. Even better is Watkins’ ability to catch the ball with his hands—instead of trapping it against his chest—and make receptions outside the frame of his body. Again, these are elite-level qualities for any receiver, let alone one who turns 21 on June 14. Then there’s Watkins’ ability to use his speed to take the top off a defense while making over-the-shoulder catches seem so natural. Here are but two examples of that speed: against Syracuse and against Georgia. Last but not least, Watkins’s production was outstanding in college. He finished with 240 receptions, 3,391 receiving yards and 27 receiving touchdowns against good competition—and with a quarterback throwing to him who won’t be playing on Sundays anytime soon. That Tajh Boyd is even being talked about as an NFL prospect is a testament to Watkins and the rest of Clemson’s impressive group of receivers. Watkins is almost like a hybrid receiver/running back with the ball in his hands, given his strength, ability to break tackles, and field vision. He can do the same on kickoff returns as well. So, yes, all that you’ve heard about Watkins is accurate. He’s largely a complete, polished and outstanding prospect worthy of high praise at such a young age. Watkins shows the potential to be a good route runner, and he appears to play with football intelligence, toughness, competitiveness and, at times, a bit of a nasty edge. There’s little doubt he’ll make his next team better. But there are a few questions NFL teams should be asking: How high is his ceiling? How does that factor into our decision-making? Does that even matter anymore? In watching eight of his games from last season, I counted 41 of 80 receptions by Watkins coming behind the line of scrimmage, meaning 51.3% of his catches weren’t contested by defenders and were schemed by the offense, with the blocking set up. That is definitely not going to happen in the NFL.Being a dynamic playmaker in the NFL requires more than simply running past opponents. That will happen on occasion, likely due to a busted assignment, but that’s not how the elite receivers earn zeros-laden paychecks. The best show a consistent ability to beat man coverage. Watkins, thanks to his strength and some shiftiness, appears to have good potential, but he hasn’t come close to proving that just yet. Almost all collegiate pass coverage (save Alabama, which Clemson didn’t play) lines up anywhere from five to 10 yards off the receiver. Watkins has also flashed some ability to win 50-50 balls and make plays that seem virtually impossible, but he still has far to go in this regard, which really separates the very good from the dynamic playmakers. Elite NFL receivers have height, length and/or jumping ability to help them make game-changing plays. Watkins lacks those qualities. But his vast strengths, which some of the league’s elite receivers don’t possess, may compensate for any perceived deficiencies. So, too, might changes in NFL offenses. While the big and fast receivers still dominate the NFL, the trend toward using more multiple receiver sets and spread offense tactics has raised the profile of the multidimensional receivers. The Rams took 5? 8½” “receiver” Tavon Austin with the eighth overall pick in ’13, a clear departure from traditional top-10 receivers. While Austin’s initial impact was minimal, the shift in NFL thinking at the position was real. Watkins represents a true tweener, between the Tavon Austins of the world and the position’s long-established prototype. Sammy Watkins just might be the right guy, at the right time, to change the game at receiver.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He reminds me of a Golden Tate deluxe.Violent runner, shorter, not the fastest.Still would love to have him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

” it is Watkins’ build that could prove to be the next step in the evolution of wideouts. For a player of his height, we have yet to see his kind of physical package on an NFL field….. Watkins weighed in at 211 pounds—and he plays even stronger. He’s essentially a young Anquan Boldin, with speed to burn. “But....but.....He's a Midget !! So says Goldson !!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watkins is being talked about as a sure-fire top-10 pick in next month’s draft, perhaps even a top-five pick, which means people are expecting him to have the same impact as today’s top receivers. Yet he stands a mere six-feet and three-quarters of an inch, with 32-inch arms, and has a pedestrian 34-inch vertical. Which means Watkins will have to break the mold in order to live up to the hype.#endstory

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Love to have him, but don’t he’s there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You’re a dumbass#endstory

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You're a dumbass#endstory

Yep, you clearly have to be 6'4" or taller to be an elite receiver. SMFH

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think people are concerned with his ability to line up on the outside. His height, short arms and mediocre vertical jump mean a small target zone. Could matter, could not. Considering what was said about him before they measured all that stuff, I really don’t care what the measurements are.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Small Target Zone :IncomparableGoldenConey.gif

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watkins is being talked about as a sure-fire top-10 pick in next month’s draft, perhaps even a top-five pick, which means people are expecting him to have the same impact as today’s top receivers. Yet he stands a mere six-feet and three-quarters of an inch, with 32-inch arms, and has a pedestrian 34-inch vertical. Which means Watkins will have to break the mold in order to live up to the hype.#endstory

Sammy is really close to Boldin in measurements.  Boldin has a few pounds on him, but not much. Neither one of them is Usain Bolt.  But if he turns out to be as good as Boldin, its a win.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No one in the NFL is Usain Bolt , but Sammy is fast . Much faster than Boldin ever was . He came out with a 4.71 at the combine.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Small Target Zone :IncomparableGoldenConey.gif

he plays pretty damned big... I think he can squeak by in the NFL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

some of the stuff posted on this board by people that pretend to be intelligent continues to amaze me…..simply baffling!! I’ve seen no negative in Watkins’ game…..we’d be lucky to get him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

some of the stuff posted on this board by people that pretend to be intelligent continues to amaze me.....simply baffling!! I've seen no negative in Watkins' game.....we'd be lucky to get him.

Some are too into the measurables IMO.  Like Al Davis drafting the fastest guy. And not giving a lick if he can play football.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

some of the stuff posted on this board by people that pretend to be intelligent continues to amaze me.....simply baffling!! I've seen no negative in Watkins' game.....we'd be lucky to get him.

Some are too into the measurables IMO.  Like Al Davis drafting the fastest guy. And not giving a lick if he can play football.

The biggest reason why people ... specifically, people who make decisions for NFL teams are so caught up in measurables is because they have learned from the past.The Dallas Cowboys were the first team to develop a " prototype player chart". That was about 50 years ago. lol. These days every NFL team has a certain physical parameter that they are comparing these players to. That comprises a part of their overall grade for each player. Only on message boards do you find the ones who are apparently unaware of a practice started 50 years ago or so and that every NFL team employs today and is the entire purpose of the NFL scouting combine. You guys are too funny. lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Some are too into the measurable IMO.  Like Al Davis drafting the fastest guy. And not giving a lick if he can play football.

The biggest reason why people ... specifically, people who make decisions for NFL teams are so caught up in measurable is because they have learned from the past.The Dallas Cowboys were the first team to develop a " prototype player chart". That was about 50 years ago. Lil. These days every NFL team has a certain physical parameter that they are comparing these players to. That comprises a part of their overall grade for each player. Only on message boards do you find the ones who are apparently unaware of a practice started 50 years ago or so and that every NFL team employs today and is the entire purpose of the NFL scouting combine. You guys are too funny. Lil.

Measurables don't measure how much heart a player has.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right. Heart = great college player you fell in love with but is a longshot to replicate that success in the NFL. You just KNOW he will be great ... must have a heart twice the size of any other WR.We have this every single year. I know exactly where you are coming from. Tavon Austin fan last year, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The biggest reason why people ... specifically, people who make decisions for NFL teams are so caught up in measurables is because they have learned from the past.The Dallas Cowboys were the first team to develop a " prototype player chart". That was about 50 years ago. lol. These days every NFL team has a certain physical parameter that they are comparing these players to. That comprises a part of their overall grade for each player. Only on message boards do you find the ones who are apparently unaware of a practice started 50 years ago or so and that every NFL team employs today and is the entire purpose of the NFL scouting combine. You guys are too funny. lol.

You prefer to ignore the tape...and base your selection off of some chart Gil Brandt(or some other fossil) created 50 years ago? And we're the funny ones?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I watched a lot more than just the highlights. If you disagree thats fine Hate but EVERY SINGLE NFL team uses a version of these metrics to evaluate.Dont act like I am the guy out in left field. Watkins full game film is NOT that impressive. Dig deeper than the highlight reel bro.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watkins full game film is NOT that impressive.

Watkins is a midget, his film isn't impressive, every team uses some corny outdated chart that he doesn't fit......yet, in 3 weeks he'll be a very early selection. How do you explain that shlt?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watkins full game film is NOT that impressive.

Watkins is a midget, his film isn't impressive, every team uses some corny outdated chart that he doesn't fit......yet, in 3 weeks he'll be a very early selection. How do you explain that shlt?

The same way Austin your boy was drafted too high. Some idiot in a position to draft him and does it. Like I said it happens every year. Every year I endure the idiots that tell me Suh will be a better 3 tech than McCoy, Shipley is better than Decker and Tavin Austin should be the no.1 overall pick and we dont need Foles because we have Freeman who you would not trade for even Tom Brady.Im surprised you comment at all based on your dismal track record. That is probably why you just go with whatever is mainstream ... because you have no effing clue. lol.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Im surprised you comment at all based on your dismal track record.

Is this why you never mention Cody Grimm anymore , Grimm Reaper ??

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If anyone here was consistently right about players, then they wouldn’t be here ;P

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If anyone here was consistently right about players, then they wouldn't be here ;P

TRUTH!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How does his game compare to Steve Smiths?  If he can have a career like his, he is worth a top 10 pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

How does his game compare to Steve Smiths?  If he can have a career like his, he is worth a top 10 pick.

He's better than Steve SMith . He compares to Anquan Boldin if you attached rocket boosters to Anquan's ass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Right. Heart = great college player you fell in love with but is a longshot to replicate that success in the NFL. You just KNOW he will be great ... must have a heart twice the size of any other WR.We have this every single year. I know exactly where you are coming from. Tavon Austin fan last year, right?

No, your way off.  You should do a little research before saying things like that. You appear to be throwing things against the wall, hoping they stick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He's better than Steve SMith . He compares to Anquan Boldin if you attached rocket boosters to Anquan's ass.

Jesus, that would be fun to watch.

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.