Viewing 20 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

The Player Each Team Will Most Regret Passing On in the 2014 NFL DraftBy Dan Hope      May 24, 2014 regret_zps07c537e2.jpgDespite the months of preparation that go into determining who the best prospects in each year’s NFL draft are, many draft selections—including some of those who were graded as early-round picks throughout the league—will fail to live up to their potential at the next level.Figuring out which players will be busts is as much of a crapshoot as the draft itself. Nonetheless, there are some players who slipped down the board that stand out as having the potential to make teams regret not drafting them when they had the chance.There’s been some obvious examples of players a multitude of teams shouldn’t have passed up in recent drafts, such as 2010 fourth-round pick Geno Atkins and 2012 No. 75 overall pick Russell Wilson.A player doesn’t need to emerge as a superstar, however, for a team to end up regretting passing him up. A prospect the team let fall just might end up being better, or could have addressed a greater need left unfilled, than the player the team drafted instead.regret1_zpsf203f8b2.jpgTampa Bay Buccaneers: Scott Crichton, DE, Oregon State (Round 3)The Tampa Bay Buccaneers made a huge upgrade to their defensive line by signing free-agent defensive end Michael Johnson this offseason, but they still would have been smart to select another pass-rusher in this year’s draft, especially when Oregon State’s Scott Crichton was still available at their third-round slot.Crichton, one of the most skilled and well-rounded defensive players in this year’s draft, was selected by the Minnesota Vikings three picks later. While Crichton might have fallen in the draft due to his limited burst as a pass-rusher, he has the skill to get after quarterbacks while he is also a strong edge-setting run defender.However, instead of drafting a player who could immediately bolster an improved defensive end rotation, the Buccaneers made a surprising pick in selecting West Virginia running back Charles Sims with the No. 69 overall selection.Sims is a solid runner who might be the best receiver out of the backfield in this year’s draft class, but he seems like an unnecessary selection for a team that already had Doug Martin, Mike James and Bobby Rainey in its stable of running backs.That’s not to say Sims won’t be productive or prove valuable as an offensive role player, but Martin has three-down back capability while the running back position in itself has lost value. The Buccaneers might have been better off drafting Crichton, or adding another impact player to their defense, and looking for a running back in the later round of the draft.If you would like to view every team....http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2068327-the-player-each-team-will-most-regret-passing-on-in-the-2014-nfl-draft#articles/2068327-the-player-each-team-will-most-regret-passing-on-in-the-2014-nfl-draft/page/31

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me I think passing over Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd was painful. ASJ being injured reminded me too much of a Mark Dominik pick. If I got to go back and change any one pick that would be the one. I really liked Crichton as well in the 3rd. Liked Aaron Donald in the 1st. Was tons of great players and I am glad to think that we may have scored 2 or 3 really good players over the long haul. Not one year wonders. Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews and Trai Turner are 3 guys that stood out on offense those first 3 picks to me. It was such a deep draft there were several ways to go with it. I love the idea of Sims playing a significant role. Great stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont really agree with this article.  the article states that sims was the best receiving RB in the draft – something we dont currently have.  it also mentioned crichton as a player without excellent burst – something that sounds real similar to clayborn and gholston.

Please wait…

• Scholty

Participant

Marqise Lee in the 2nd.  I still like the ASJ pick though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lee was gone in the 2nd, no? Unless I’m deranged Jax grabbed him early. I liked Gabe Jackson a lot, Trai Turner… those were probably the toughest for me.I'd have been happy with Chrichton for sure but I can't complain. I'm NOT wild about our 5th round picks, I wanted Yankey there pretty badly. I felt like he was great value.Gametime, which part of that statement do you disagree with? That we don't already have a good receiving back?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont really agree with this article.  the article states that sims was the best receiving RB in the draft - something we dont currently have.  it also mentioned crichton as a player without excellent burst - something that sounds real similar to clayborn and gholston.

Our other RB's don't have the best hands, Dougie is great but hands of stone.  I assume they have big plans for Sims.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I agree ^ Doug can do some good things after the catch, I’m sure, but he was near the top of the league in drops last season when he went down. I’m sure Rainey/James can catch just fine but if LnL didn’t see Sims being a considerable upgrade over those two in that department then they wouldn’t have taken him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

First, the player the bucs are going to most regret passing up is Dt Aaron Donald.  As for Scott Crighton vs Charles Sims; well, believe it or not, I was hoping for Crighton at that point also; he seemed like the best available; I didn’t know anything about Charles Sims.  Seems to me that Charles Sims is going to be the player lots of teams are going to regret passing on.With Sims as an outside threat, and Dougie as an inside threat, D's are going to have a hard time right there, much less all the rest of our weapons. The rest of the talent evaluators and and teams seem to just say "oh, he certainly has great hands" as if, "but, what else does he have?"  That tells me they're about to be in for a hugh shock!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To me I think passing over Kyle Van Noy in the 2nd was painful. ASJ being injured reminded me too much of a Mark Dominik pick. If I got to go back and change any one pick that would be the one. I really liked Crichton as well in the 3rd. Liked Aaron Donald in the 1st. Was tons of great players and I am glad to think that we may have scored 2 or 3 really good players over the long haul. Not one year wonders. Mike Evans, Jordan Matthews and Trai Turner are 3 guys that stood out on offense those first 3 picks to me. It was such a deep draft there were several ways to go with it. I love the idea of Sims playing a significant role. Great stuff.

You would have wanted them to take a DT with their first pick tho? We dont have an issue with the DT position on our team, and we had huge issues elsewhere. 32nd ranked offense, but the defense was not to bad and got two additions to the DLine and two pro defensive minded head coaches. Donald would have been a very depressing pick to me.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I’ll admit that I was hoping for some more pass rush help, I love our draft…I'm good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You would have wanted them to take a DT with their first pick tho? We dont have an issue with the DT position on our team, and we had huge issues elsewhere. 32nd ranked offense, but the defense was not to bad and got two additions to the DLine and two pro defensive minded head coaches. Donald would have been a very depressing pick to me.

Evans and Donald were my top players available. I would have been thrilled with Donald or any other elite player who can help us win a Superbowl. Outside of Evans Donald was simply the most talented player there on my board by a mile. Drafting for need is not my thing unless you are getting comparable value. I was actually the first person on this board to make a Evans thread and beat on the table for him. As you may not have noticed I said that Van Noy in the 2nd was the one I would have changed. I am very happy with Evans but I am not the biggest ASJ fan.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Yeah , DT would have been an idiotic pick in round 1.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Passing over Donald for some slow second rate WR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ASJ and Sims better pan out because I feel like we passed up a lot players in rounds 2 and 3 to add guys that might not be on the field too much.My pick for this topic would be passing on Lamarcus Joyner in the 2nd.  I think hes going to be productive and fits the inside DB nickle/safety/Lb that Lovie plays like 60% of the time.I am guessing that L&L had OG Sua-Filo from UCLA rated high for the second round and when he went to the texans they just took a shot at ASJ.  Looking forward to seeing where all these guys fit. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For it was Trent Murphy. Granted I do like the ASJ pick, but I think Murphy has a chance to be the best DE in this draft. The guy flat out produced.

Please wait…

• bnjsnow

Participant

I thought Telvin Smith who the Jags picked one pick after we picked Kadeem Edwards was a guy we should have grabbed. At that point the offensive lineman are all close, even though we have a need for guard, we also have a need for depth at LB, Kadeem is not expected to start..Liked Telvins quickness, big play ability, and probably have some homer un-realistic comparisons  that remind me about another FSU undersized linebacker that became a buc..Jags had a good draft..

Please wait…

• Scholty

Participant

Lee was gone in the 2nd, no? Unless I'm deranged Jax grabbed him early.

Jax took him with the pick after us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lee in the 2nd instead of a injured TE ASJ.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Lee is a slow midget. Not a Dunkaneer Man.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gametime, which part of that statement do you disagree with? That we don't already have a good receiving back?

i just don’t buy the reasoning of needing Crichton. I dont watch much film, but from what I’ve read hes not too different than clayborn, bowers, gholston, etc.  he doesn’t bring another dimension that we lack. Sims on the other hand brings a receiving threat we don’t have.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lee in the 2nd instead of a injured TE ASJ.

Lee slipped a bit in the draft. There may be something going on with him. Great player and I believe he set tons of records at USC.  So, he has the talent to be a 1st round pick. But teams were a little hesitant to pull the trigger on him, for whatever reason.

Please wait…

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.