Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 30 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

pff_zpskg1aetlu.pngProFootballFocus.com    Oct 12, 2015Here are the top takeaways and the highest-graded players from the Buccaneers’ 38-30 win over the Jaguars.Jacksonville Jaguars– Has QB Blake Bortles turned the corner? After a disappointing rookie season (-1.7 or worse in 11 of his 14 starts last year) and start to 2015 (-1.5 overall grade through week three), Bortles had his second consecutive game of at least +3.0 or better in this week. He’s still struggling under pressure—his second quarter interception is a perfect example of what a quarterback shouldn’t do when pressured—but he’s made tremendous strides as a passer when he’s given time. Last season, he had a staggering -23.5 grade on plays in which he didn’t face pressure, but his grade over the last two weeks with a clean pocket is +6.5.– When you’re trying to develop a quarterback, it helps if you give him some talented players to throw to, and Jacksonville has a pair of them on the outside. Both Allen Robinson (+2.6) and Allen Hurns (+2.7) continued their strong seasons in week five. They combined to catch 12 of the 15 balls thrown their way for 188 yards and three touchdowns.– LG Zane Beadles followed up a poor Week 4 (-3.8 with another bad performance in Week 5 (-2.8. He was especially bad in pass protection, where he was responsible for three sacks in addition to one pressure.Top performers:DE Jared Odrick (+4.9)QB Blake Bortles (+3.5)P Bryan Anger (+3.3)WR Allen Hurns (+2.7)WR Allen Robinson (+2.6) Tampa Bay Buccaneers– HB Doug Martin has had a tremendous season so far (he’s currently our highest graded halfback at +11.5), and he stole the show against the Jaguars. The +4.1 overall grade that Martin received on Sunday is a new career-high, and the +3.0 rushing grade he earned was the second highest of his career (behind only his legendary 251 yard, four touchdown game in Oakland back in 2012). What was especially impressive about Sunday’s performance was that he did it despite a combined -8.2 run blocking grade from Tampa Bay’s offensive line. 71 of Martin’s 123 yards came after contact, and he forced six missed tackles—he had just eight missed tackles all last season.– CB Tim Jennings (-6.2) earned the worst grade of his career against Jacksonville. Jennings allowed seven of his ten targets to be caught for 123 yards and two touchdowns. Blake Bortles had a 151.3 QB Rating when he threw to the receiver being covered by the veteran.– DE George Johnson played on just 26 snaps this weekend, but he sure made they counted. His +2.4 overall grade was his highest of the season, and he earned it thanks to his performance against the run (+2.9 run defense grade), where his five stops lead all 4-3 defensive ends.Top performers:HB Doug Martin (+4.1)K Connor Barth (+3.9)DE George Johnson (+2.4)WR Vincent Jackson (+1.9)QB Jameis Winston (+1.5)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jennings is not better than Verner.I have no idea what Lovie is smoking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

George Johnson plays better as a backup player as he did with the Lions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

George Johnson plays better as a backup player as he did with the Lions.

I think that was him that caused that fumble on the sweep play, he's was on the back before he had a chance to tuck the ball. Great hustle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tell me about it, Banks and Verner are the best corners on this team and should be starting. Hopefully Banks will be healthy after the bye week, but Jennings has no business being a starter.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Be fair though guys, it was a tough assignment this week.  Look at those WR scores up there.  We must have been facing some of the best wideouts in the league.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tell me about it, Banks and Verner are the best corners on this team and should be starting. Hopefully Banks will be healthy after the bye week, but Jennings has no business being a starter.

He got exposed big time against the Jags. I hope Lovie pulls him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Be fair though guys, it was a tough assignment this week.  Look at those WR scores up there.  We must have been facing some of the best wideouts in the league.

Hurns and Robinson have both had very good seasons so far. It wasn't just against us. And they're both only 2nd year players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

– HB Doug Martin has had a tremendous season so far (he’s currently our highest graded halfback at +11.5), and he stole the show against the Jaguars. The +4.1 overall grade that Martin received on Sunday is a new career-high, and the +3.0 rushing grade he earned was the second highest of his career (behind only his legendary 251 yard, four touchdown game in Oakland back in 2012). What was especially impressive about Sunday’s performance was that he did it despite a combined -8.2 run blocking grade from Tampa Bay’s offensive line. 71 of Martin’s 123 yards came after contact, and he forced six missed tackles—he had just eight missed tackles all last season.

Impressive that Martin got 58% of yards after contact. A running back can perform well despite poor play from his OL?  This will be tough for a hayseed to understand.  Yokels prefer to make excuses.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

– HB Doug Martin has had a tremendous season so far (he’s currently our highest graded halfback at +11.5), and he stole the show against the Jaguars. The +4.1 overall grade that Martin received on Sunday is a new career-high, and the +3.0 rushing grade he earned was the second highest of his career (behind only his legendary 251 yard, four touchdown game in Oakland back in 2012). What was especially impressive about Sunday’s performance was that he did it despite a combined -8.2 run blocking grade from Tampa Bay’s offensive line. 71 of Martin’s 123 yards came after contact, and he forced six missed tackles—he had just eight missed tackles all last season.

Impressive that Martin got 58% of yards after contact. A running back can perform well despite poor play from his OL?  This will be tough for a hayseed to understand.  Yokels prefer to make excuses.

Buggsy citing PFF while calling others idiots ... That never happens. (Sarcasm)You must be unable to help yourself because I know it must pain you to prove me right ....again

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Buggsy citing PFF while calling others idiots ... That never happens. (Sarcasm)You must be unable to help yourself because I know it must pain you to prove me right ....again

Prove you are right about what, Counselor?  There are multiple football idiots, like yourself, that facts can easily disprove?  You hit one on the head for once.  Congratulations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Boggles my mind. He was flat out abused. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to actually play the Bears in December, or if it's going to be recruiting day for Lovie.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even Lovie can’t excuses the ass whooping Jennings just got. I don’t get it. He played better in a reduced role. No way Verner gets beat like that. Also after seeing Hurns and Robinson torch us any one else feel we really have to look towards that twitchy, fast possession receiver that can actually run routes?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Prove you are right about what, Counselor?

You are a mountain of confidence Buggsy. You prop your opinions up with PFF, often as part of a post that calls others "simpletons" 

There are multiple football idiots, like yourself, that facts can easily disprove?  You hit one on the head for once.  Congratulations.

lmao. You're a hoot Buggsy, thanks for the laugh

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much improved runner but that doesn't mean that his o-line doesn't factor into the equation. Even the casual observer could notice the improvement in the play up front. Now, go back and watch his runs from this week and you'll see that, especially on the big runs, he wasn't touched until at least 5-6 yards downfield. That 71 yard number? About 25 came off the spin move run in which he was already about 10 yards downfield when he forced the missed tackle. Average out his yards-before-contact, especially on the big runs, and you'll see that, despite PFF's grade, the run blocking from Sunday was much improved from just about anything we saw last week. Hell, last year, he'd get the ball and the defender would be right there waiting for him. How could you not see that? Oh, that's right. Agenda.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much improved runner but that doesn't mean that his o-line doesn't factor into the equation. Even the casual observer could notice the improvement in the play up front. Now, go back and watch his runs from this week and you'll see that, especially on the big runs, he wasn't touched until at least 5-6 yards downfield. That 71 yard number? About 25 came off the spin move run in which he was already about 10 yards downfield when he forced the missed tackle. Average out his yards-before-contact, especially on the big runs, and you'll see that, despite PFF's grade, the run blocking from Sunday was much improved from just about anything we saw last week. Hell, last year, he'd get the ball and the defender would be right there waiting for him. How could you not see that? Oh, that's right. Agenda.

1+Too many red board posters have gone full retard lately.  The Bucs are making blocks which helps Martin reach the second level.  When Martin reaches the second level he has been a very good RB with YAC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1+Too many red board posters have gone full retard lately.  The Bucs are making blocks which helps Martin reach the second level.  When Martin reaches the second level he has been a very good RB with YAC.

"Yokels"You probably also think Aaron Rodgers is a decent QB(Blue font omitted)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much improved runner

Unpossible.  Some hayseed in another thread noted both Martin and Sims are exactly the same players they were last season.  Everybody else around them changed, not them.

Oh, that's right. Agenda.

What, exactly, is my agenda?  Giving players credit when they perform well and criticizing them when they don't?  Oh, the horror.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

About 25 came off the spin move run in which he was already about 10 yards downfield when he forced the missed tackle.

Interesting you pointed out this play specifically.  I think you might need to watch it again, although I still have my doubts you will know what you're seeing:http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap3000000553947/Can-t-Miss-Play-Martin-s-spin-cycleMartin was supposed to follow his FB and go inside.  After seeing there was no hole there, he bounced it outside and made the play happen.  It was not a well-blocked play by the OL, and a couple Jaguars made horrible plays.  The credit goes to Martin for having the vision to bounce it outside and then making guys miss for a big gain.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Martin is a much improved runner

Unpossible.  Some hayseed in another thread noted both Martin and Sims are exactly the same players they were last season.  Everybody else around them changed, not them.

Oh, that's right. Agenda.

What, exactly, is my agenda?  Giving players credit when they perform well and criticizing them when they don't?  Oh, the horror.

Go back and show me where I said they were "exactly the same players as last year". This started because I said it wasn't just Sims injury that limited him last year but in fact, there were other circumstances in play, such as improved blocking and offensive schemes. You on the other hand, said that blocking and playcalling had nothing to do with a running back's success. It's all on them pretty much. This has to be one of the more asinine takes I've seen on this board....and this is the Red Board.....so that pretty much means it's one of the most asinine takes on the Internet. Congrats.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You on the other hand, said that blocking and playcalling had nothing to do with a running back's success.

I said nothing of the sort, of course.  I said those things have nothing to do with Sims' burst and acceleration when he was in the open field, and he did get open field opportunities last season to show burst and acceleration - something you implied he did not.  Your lack of reading comprehension and lack of football comprehension is a bad combination on a football forum.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

About 25 came off the spin move run in which he was already about 10 yards downfield when he forced the missed tackle.

Interesting you pointed out this play specifically.  I think you might need to watch it again, although I still have my doubts you will know what you're seeing:http://www.nfl.com/videos/tampa-bay-buccaneers/0ap3000000553947/Can-t-Miss-Play-Martin-s-spin-cycleMartin was supposed to follow his FB and go inside.  After seeing there was no hole there, he bounced it outside and made the play happen.  It was not a well-blocked play by the OL, and a couple Jaguars made horrible plays.  The credit goes to Martin for having the vision to bounce it outside and then making guys miss for a big gain.

Martin definitely used his vision to make a play there. However, if you'll notice, it was Jackson that missed his block on the play. Looks like he was supposed to push the edge rusher outside and whiffed. This sent Martin inside. Looks like the FB hit the A-gap but was the hole was tight. Martin bounced outside which was wide open. You do realize that successful blocking schemes have multiple lanes for the RB to take. Sure, this is just as much on Martin to the choose the right one and our blocking scheme is still like semi-controlled chaos. Kudos to Martin for making the right decision. However, he still wasn't touched until about 8 yards downfield, makes a nice spin and then gains about 25 after contact. Last year, Martin would've been stuffed in the backfield. His success is due to being healthy, motivated, AND having a much better supporting cast; specifically a real OC calling plays and a functioning O-line.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You on the other hand, said that blocking and playcalling had nothing to do with a running back's success.

Your lack of reading comprehension and lack of football comprehension is a bad combination on a football forum.

You say this after completing blowing off the fact you misquoted me. And you still maintain that blocking and playcalling have no impact on a running back's ability to make plays. Hell, you implied just that in your first post in this thread. Laughable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that successful blocking schemes have multiple lanes for the RB to take

I do realize that.  Unfortunately for you and your point, those schemes that have multiple lanes are usually ZBS - which the Tampa Bay Buccaneers do not run.That play was a power-run up-the-gut with the FB leading.  There weren't multiple lanes for the RB to choose from.  Great play from Martin to bounce it outside.

And you still maintain that blocking and playcalling have no impact on a running back's ability to make plays.

Geebus H., how many times must you be told you aren't comprehending what's being discussed?  There won't be another.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Corners played poorly, but Hurns has been on a pretty nice hot streak recently.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i think the whole sims arguement is dumb and semantics.  he is playing better this year.  i am sure its a culmanation of being healthy, adapting to the pro game and speed, and being put in better position.hes probably always had burst and acceleration when healthy.  but its not gonna show if he isnt used correctly and given open lanes to run through.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i think the whole sims arguement is dumb and semantics.  he is playing better this year.  i am sure its a culmanation of being healthy, adapting to the pro game and speed, and being put in better position.hes probably always had burst and acceleration when healthy.  but its not gonna show if he isnt used correctly and given open lanes to run through.

Never said it wasn't partially due to injury, only pointing out to Captain Simpleton, exalted leader of the "Excuses" crowd, that o-line and play calling impact the play of a running back. Look at Demarco Murray.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You do realize that successful blocking schemes have multiple lanes for the RB to take

I do realize that.  Unfortunately for you and your point, those schemes that have multiple lanes are usually ZBS - which the Tampa Bay Buccaneers do not run.That play was a power-run up-the-gut with the FB leading.  There weren't multiple lanes for the RB to choose from.  Great play from Martin to bounce it outside.

And you still maintain that blocking and playcalling have no impact on a running back's ability to make plays.

Geebus H., how many times must you be told you aren't comprehending what's being discussed?  There won't be another.

Uh...Bucs do employ a ZBS. Koetter ran it in Atlanta and Jax and has been known to adapt the blocking scheme to the talent of the linemen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uh...Bucs do employ a ZBS. Koetter ran it in Atlanta and Jax and has been known to adapt the blocking scheme to the talent of the linemen.

Yeah, I can see where this is going....Let's try to keep it simple.  On the play in question, were the Buccaneers in man or zone?  Thank you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I can see where this is going....Let's try to keep it simple.  On the play in question, were the Buccaneers in man or zone?  Thank you.

Easy. It looks like they're in man on that play. Still, if Jackson hits his block, Martin would've had the off-tackle route available as well as the A. It was never a debate that he didn't make a great play but you seemed to be stuck on the 71 yards after contact argument. I pointed out that a big chunk came off one play where he wasn't touched until he was well downfield. That stat pointed out by PFF doesn't really indict the performance of the o-line. Yards-before-contact is key as well and he had plenty on the play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Still, if Jackson hits his block, Martin would've had the off-tackle route available as well as the A.

Yes, every other player on the field is supposed to block someone.  That doesn't mean the running play has many different options.  The play was designed to go up the middle.  It's a shame this has to continually be spelled out.

That stat pointed out by PFF doesn't really indict the performance of the o-line.

Of course it does, and that's league-wide.I'm not sure why this is even a point of contention.

Yards-before-contact is key as well and he had plenty on the play.

Sure, if you don't count the contact at the LOS because the OL failed to create a hole where the run play was designed to go.

Please wait…

Viewing 30 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.