Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

How Jeff Demps and Louis Murphy Can Completely Change Bucs’ OffenseNick John - Apr 29th, 2014 at 10:43 pmoffense_zps0f9c6705.jpgSep 29, 2013; Tampa, FLTampa Bay Buccaneers running back Jeff Demps (32) runs with the ball during the first half against the Arizona Cardinals at Raymond James Stadium. Kim Klement-USA TODAY SportsThe recipe for success in today’s NFL requires one thing that the Buccaneers haven’t really had in the history of their franchise.Speed in space.They have tried to add it before, and failed pretty miserably. The 2008 NFL Draft comes to mind. The Buccaneers had the opportunity to draft DeSean Jackson, but they further down into the 2nd round. That Jackson ended up getting picked by the Philadelphia Eagles and became a Pro Bowler.The Bucs ended up taking another Jackson, Appalachian State WR Dexter Jackson, and the rest was history.Instant history. Jackson only lasted one season with Tampa Bay, and is known by many fans as the guy who muffed a lot of punts, and was afraid to take a hit.Since then, the efforts to add speed to the Buccaneer offense has been minimal. Instead of targeting guys who were thin, but quick, the team focused on getting big targets. In the past few seasons, one of the biggest gripes people have had with Tampa Bay’s wide receiving core was their inability to get separation from defenders; something speed could help cure.That takes us to day three of the 2013 NFL Draft. The Buccaneers unloaded RB LeGarrette Blount to New England for a 6th round draft pick (which ended up being RB Mike James), and olympic track star Jeff Demps.After officially joining the team in September, Demps only played in two games for the Bucs before succumbing to a groin injury.Fast forward to the Buccaneers’ voluntary minicamp: Demps is healthy, and changing the way the Bucs’ offense looks.Head coach Lovie Smith has made it clear that he has four running backs on his roster who all have talent, and he needs to find a way to get them all to touch the football.He may have found a slot for Demps.The former Florida Gator has been lining up in the slot WR position during some practice sessions, and that shows the Buccaneers’ effort to finally add a wrinkle to their offense that we haven’t seen: speed in space.You may have heard what Bucs OC Jeff Tedford can do with speed in space; he used to be the head coach at Cal, and he called all the plays that helped develop DeSean Jackson into what he is today.By all accounts, Demps is also the favorite to return kicks and punts for the Bucs this season, so this potential game changer should get plenty of touches.But what if I told you that he’s not the only speed demon that Tampa Bay is boasting on their roster this season?Another local, University of Florida alum Louis Murphy, was signed by the Buccaneers this offseason after the “Mike Williams incident.” While the plan, at the time, may have only been to provide depth at wide receiver, the move could prove to be an exciting one for Buccaneer fans.offense1_zps57f1523a.jpgNov 26, 2012; Philadelphia, PACarolina Panthers wide receiver Louis Murphy (83) during the fourth quarter against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field. The Panthers defeated the Eagles 30-22. Howard Smith-USA TODAY SportsWhy? Because Murphy is pretty fast, too. And he thinks he could be faster than Demps, who runs at an olympic track star speed. Murphy also ran track, but at the collegiate level.It is important to have these guys in today’s NFL because everything is so offense oriented. Defenders today are lightning quick, so it is vital for the offense to possess guys that have the potential to score on any play, from anywhere on the field.The Bucs might have a couple of local guys that can do just that.And if they do, you better not blink. You might miss something.http://thepewterplank.com/2014/04/29/jeff-demps-emerge-bucs-secret-weapon/

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hope they turn into contributors this season. Usually moves like this don’t work out for the Bucs for whatever reason.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jebus, the one thing we never had that is required in today’s NFL is a franchise QB.  Speed in space?  Give me a break!  And we have had it before.  These are bottom of the roster guys.  Doubt they contribute much at all.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jebus, the one thing we never had that is required in today's NFL is a franchise QB.

How that work out for Denver?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Um,  went 13-3 and then went to the Super Bowl.  Better than 30 other teams did in a league of 32. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

So the Bucs have never had speed??  Wonder what they call what Joey Galloway had?  It one point he was the fastest receiver in the NFL.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or Dunn?  Might not have had track star speed but the guy was dangerous as a runner or receiver.  No one can deny that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Or Dunn?  Might not have had track star speed but the guy was dangerous as a runner or receiver.  No one can deny that.

True.  Really quick.  Didn’t time as elite, but put the ball in his hands and he was hard to catch.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are lots of fast guys out there that can’t play football. Hopefully I’m wrong but these guys look more like Jacquez Green than Steve Smith to me.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uggggh, the Reidell Anthony Jacquez Green years.  Those dudes drove two hours south from Gainesville and basically held the Glazers up.  We’ve had speed in space we need an OC that knows how to coach it.  Let’s hope Tedford is that guy. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speed is waaaaaay overrated for a WR. Especially these little midgets. What good is speed when you cant get off the LOS?The way a WR gets open is being a great route runner, timing your cuts right and selling the DB one thing and then doing another ( head fakes). A well timed pump fake by the QB is also a great help.You do need a certain amount of speed but track stars DO NOT usually make great football players. Running fast in a straight line has zero to do with being a WR. Zero.In fact the trend right now is not for speed guys at all. The trend right now is for big WR's who run good routes and high point the ball.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jebus, the one thing we never had that is required in today's NFL is a franchise QB.

Exactly.  ;)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Speed is waaaaaay overrated for a WR. Especially these little midgets. What good is speed when you cant get off the LOS?The way a WR gets open is being a great route runner, timing your cuts right and selling the DB one thing and then doing another ( head fakes). A well timed pump fake by the QB is also a great help.You do need a certain amount of speed but track stars DO NOT usually make great football players. Running fast in a straight line has zero to do with being a WR. Zero.In fact the trend right now is not for speed guys at all. The trend right now is for big WR's who run good routes and high point the ball.

Funny...Im reading that story and the comments and thinking "Man nobody has called them midgets yet".  And then, almost as if on cue...there you are.  Thank you for not disappointing this morning.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looking at offense, there are a LOT of things we’ve never had. A quality Offensive Coordinator for one…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think speed is everything or much of anything. We need players who can separate and create big plays. Long speed is nice but you have so few opportunities to use it plus if you get enough separation a 4.5 guy over the distances on the field can stay ahead of faster players.  Brees does well and none of his guys are burners other than on again off again Devry Henderson but he isn’t what makes that team go.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Looking at offense, there are a LOT of things we've never had. A quality Offensive Coordinator for one...

This is so damn true.  It's difficult to go back and list them in your head.  We have always suffered there.  Sans Gruden of course but he could never get the talent in place to really set it on fire. (2002 World Champs, I know).

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jebus, the one thing we never had that is required in today's NFL is a franchise QB.  Speed in space?  Give me a break!  And we have had it before.  These are bottom of the roster guys.  Doubt they contribute much at all.

For real. I had a few guesses what this article would be about and Demps and Louis Murphy weren't my guesses.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Uggggh, the Reidell Anthony Jacquez Green years.  Those dudes drove two hours south from Gainesville and basically held the Glazers up.  We've had speed in space we need an OC that knows how to coach it.  Let's hope Tedford is that guy.

Green had back to back 770+ yard seasons with crappy QBs. Johnson didn't have the kind of arm, at that point in his career, to make Green work.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We’ve actually had speed in space before, but we have never had a legitimate “carry the team” qb.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We've actually had speed in space before, but we have never had a legitimate "carry the team" qb.

We had the "carry the team" QB. Just didnt have a team.

• Anonymous

Inactive

We've actually had speed in space before, but we have never had a legitimate "carry the team" qb.

We had the "carry the team" QB. Just didnt have a team.

Jeff Garcia

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could have won the games Garcia did in 2007

• Anonymous

Inactive

definitley quick and hard to get hands on, but when on a breakaway, he was very easy to catch up to. Even at FSU. Similar to Devine at WVU. I think Rainey compares pretty well to Dunn. I would like a speed guy who can burn corners and safeties and is actually a good football player too. Beckham is the guy Id like to see as a Buc. Even though he's not a speed guy Ill take Evans all day because that guy is a rare specimen. That would give the Bucs a top 10 NFL receiver for a long time

• Anonymous

Inactive

I could have won the games Garcia did in 2007

Let's be serious now.Jeff Garcia was a effin' baller!

• Anonymous

Inactive

2008 team should have won the Super Bowl. With even an average QB we would have gotten a bye, rested the defense and Dunn Weeks 16, 17 and wild-card round and cruised through NFC and played a home Super Bowl

• Anonymous

Inactive

Jebus, the one thing we never had that is required in today's NFL is a franchise QB.  Speed in space?  Give me a break!  And we have had it before.

I agree. This article is stupid!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

lmfao @ Demps and Louis Murphy saving this team.

• mditt01

Participant

Back in the early 2000’s we had plenty of speed. So the thread post is okay, but the title is wrong.

• Anonymous

Inactive

A franchise QB?

• Anonymous

Inactive

A Franchise QB.  end of story.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Am I the only one sick of hearing “speed in space”???

• Anonymous

Inactive

Am I the only one sick of hearing "speed in space"???

Shhh...smokescreen. Hint, hint. Wink, wink. Nudge, nudge.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sure they have had a few burners in the past. But it would be nice to see more of them, all on the same team. And from L&L’s comments, I think that is their goal.

• Anonymous

Inactive

most of the great offensive players in this league are not burners.

• bnjsnow

Participant

Just watched some youtube of Demps..he looks pretty f’n good…does not look like just a straight ahead “speed” guy…does not have the stop start ability of a sproles”ish” type guy however…he will play..and be usefull I think..

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m confused, according to 10lbbass and Calico, we have a franchise QB.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm confused, according to 10lbbass and Calico, we have a franchise QB.

You makin' isht up.  I don't even know what franchise quarterback means...

• Anonymous

Inactive

don't believe the hype!!

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't even know what franchise quarterback means...

Clearly...

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clearly...

Yo Chuck, they must be on the pipe right?!

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clearly...

“Do I believe in a franchise quarterback?’’ Smith said. “Well, you’re going to have to explain franchise. I believe you need to have a very good player at that position. Do I think you need to have a Hall of Fame guy to be able to win in the NFL? No, I don’t think you need that. But the better the quarterback the more games you’re going to win. I think you can still win with a good quarterback.’’

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clearly...

“Do I believe in a franchise quarterback?’’ Smith said. “Well, you’re going to have to explain franchise. I believe you need to have a very good player at that position. Do I think you need to have a Hall of Fame guy to be able to win in the NFL? No, I don’t think you need that. But the better the quarterback the more games you’re going to win. I think you can still win with a good quarterback.’’

"I have big plans for Revis" -- Lovie Smith

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clearly...

"I have big plans for Revis" -- Lovie Smith

Was he wrong?

• Anonymous

Inactive

most of the great offensive players in this league are not burners.

True, but the threat of a real burner is something the defense has to focus on. And that would give Vincent even more room to operate.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft more speed !!