Viewing 15 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

A.J. McCarron: The Steal of the 2014 NFL Draft April 18, 2014 2:55 pm aj-mccarron-quarterback_zpsd6989f98.jpgThe NFL draft is less than three weeks away. Since the college football season ended (and even before that) we’ve been hearing names such as Clowney, Manziel and Mack: names of players who will likely be selected in the first few picks in May’s NFL draft. Those of you who, like me, are hardcore football fans know that teams are built with players selected on the second and sometimes third day of the draft.Each year there are a few draftees whose stock is affected negatively for various reasons: bad pro day, unimpressive combine numbers or off-field problems. Few college players that have the tools and smarts along with an impressive college resume (at a football powerhouse) fly under the radar. Every NFL draft has a few players that should have been drafted higher than they were.  Players like Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees come to mind. This year will be no different.  Alabama quarterback AJ McCarron is projected to be a 3rd to 5th round selection falls into this category.I watch a lot of college football and have no affiliation or rooting interest for a specific team or conference. With that being said I am shocked that McCarron isn’t as highly rated as a Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel. McCarron is a better passer and more consistent then both Bortles and Manziel and his game will translate better to the NFL as well.As a three year starter, McCarron is a proven winner who has progressed as a quarterback throughout his college career. His career completion percentage was almost 70%. McCarron finished with 77 TD’s and 15 INT’s throwing a total of three interceptions 2012 (two in one game). He has faced pressure at a high level and never gets rattled. He reminds me of Eli Manning when under pressure: he never panics, and is always calm. McCarron is also smart. He plays the game like Andrew Luck did at Stanford: consistent and mistake free. He’s not the most athletic player, but his intangibles are his strength. McCarron’s performance in last year’s SEC title game defined his entire career. Even though Alabama lost, he was brilliant finishing the game with three touchdowns (the third being one of his greatest) and zero interceptions.AJ McCarron has the tools to be successful at the next level. At 6’3” he is as tall than Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford. His resume is as good as anyone coming out of school. There wasn’t much more he could have done to help make himself or his team better. The so-called “expert opinion” is that McCarron is a product of a good offensive system or a system quarterback. I disagree. Fresno State’s Derrick Carr is a product of an offensive system, not McCarron.There is probably an NFL GM (or two) that feel as I do about AJ McCarron. The team that selects him will have one of the most talented and smartest players for a long time. The steal of the 2014 NFL draft.http://www.footballnation.com/content/aj-mccarron-the-steal-the-2014-nfl-draft/29174/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would draft him in the late 3rd early 4th. Oh wait we have no 4th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn’t be shocked if the Bucs pulled the trigger on AJ in the 2nd round. I fully expect the Bucs to walk out of this draft with either Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron or Garoppolo. JMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think that’s pretty accurate Bucko.  Although I think Bridgewater is a fit too.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you don’t know how to spell Derek Carr’s name, you probably don’t deserve to have an opinion about his play.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So how often does a QB start a ton of games for an extremely successful team in a power conference and every scout completely misses him being a great NFL QB?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t see it in McCarron. There were games he looked very good but those were a lot of the everything is going right kinds of games.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wouldn't be shocked if the Bucs pulled the trigger on AJ in the 2nd round. I fully expect the Bucs to walk out of this draft with either Carr, Mettenberger, McCarron or Garoppolo. JMO

....or Murray. Sshhhhh......don't tell 10lbbass  ;)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its gonna be Zach Mettenberger.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mettenberger is the best of that second tier. Not a bad project QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I also think Mettenberger is an excellent candidate for the dark horse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garrett Gilbert.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Don’t underestimate the power of St Dungyhttp://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000334767/article/tony-dungy-aaron-murray-will-be-like-russell-wilson

Please wait…

• dalbuc

Participant

this is media driven. Most drafts have the Texans taking JC in the first then AJ in the 2nd, and now suddenly AJ is the steal of the draft.  They now have the Browns taking Bridge in the 2nd.  Just so long that any of these guys are not slated to go to us then its all good, or so it seems.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think out of this crop of late round QB’s AJ will be a backup for many years…but I think the steal will be Aaron Murray

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a big AJ fan. Second would be way too early for him.  A late round pick for someone would make more sense, hopefully its not the Bucs. We have enough backups, and no starters. People forget what team AJ played on, that team could probably give the Jags or Browns a competitive game.

Please wait…

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.