Viewing 27 reply threads

• Author

• Anonymous

Inactive

First, let me say I have high regard for both McCown and Glennon, both on and off the field.  I’m a fan of both McCown brothers and Mike G.Looking at McCown's career stats vs. those of Glennon's one year stats, we see McCown's and Glennon's completion % equal at 59.4%, and TD/ INT at 50/45 for McCown, and 19/9 for Glennon.  Finally, their QB rating is as such, 77.5 for McCown and 83.9 for Glennon.In addition, let's not forget Glennon's offense played without the likes of Mike Williams, both starting TE's, 1st and 2nd string RB's, and a patchwork interior offensive line.Glennon is the one with the upside and with a foundation that should not be lower than McCown's.  So why name McCown the starter now?I argue that it is a combination of the plan to draft a QB early and politics.  What first year coach who has complete authority to make-up the team as he pleases, would not want to draft HIS qb?  Lovie will not have any semblance of the pressure that was bestowed upon Coach Schiano, so he's got a year or two to develop the QB.  Does he want to develop Glennon instead of the availabe QB's?  He should consider it, imo, but he won't.  That scenario rarely happens.The politics enters in that Lovie doesn't want a competition between his new rookie QB and Glennon.  It shouldn't be that way, but that's the way it works.  So, McCown is announced the starter now,  draft a qB early, and never let Glennon see field. He could easily be traded on draft day.  Too bad, because Glennon has upside and I believe the 83.9 rating would have been his low.  Therefore, I'm predicting pick #7 to be either Bridgewater, Bortles, Manziel, or Carr.  Probably some holes in my theory so let me hear it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the thought process but not that Glennon will never see the field. They named McCown the starter so he can be at the top of the depth chart and the job is “his to lose”. Can he lose it if Glennon plays better? Absolutely. I don't disagree that the team could draft a QB at #7 and I think it's very likely they'll draft a QB fairly high. Brett Smith has been a guy they are rumored to be very interested in.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the thought process but not that Glennon will never see the field. They named McCown the starter so he can be at the top of the depth chart and the job is "his to lose". Can he lose it if Glennon plays better? Absolutely. I don't disagree that the team could draft a QB at #7 and I think it's very likely they'll draft a QB fairly high. Brett Smith has been a guy they are rumored to be very interested in.

I agree with the part in bold in particular and would add that the posture takes the pressure off Glennon.  Glennon is no longer trying to hold on to a job, he is trying to win it.On the QB and the draft, Licht was on the radio and said: a) there is/are "franchise Qbs" in the draft; b) the Bucs have not ruled out drafting a "franchise QB."  Perhaps more interesting, he also said that he wouldn't say what round that franchise QB might go off the board and noted that they took Brady in the 6th when he was in NE

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I took Licht’s comments to be mostly smoke. Probably was right about liking a variety of QBs, but I thought he was pretty loose with the word “franchise.” For what it's worth, don't think it's Lovie's announcement - either the timing or the substance - was all that earth-shattering.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I took Licht's comments to be mostly smoke. Probably was right about liking a variety of QBs, but I thought he was pretty loose with the word "franchise." For what it's worth, don't think it's Lovie's announcement - either the timing or the substance - was all that earth-shattering.

...or be taken as literally i.e. "McCown is the starter no matter what" as some appear to be doing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sweep, I think what you’ve proposed is perfectly logic.  My take is different, not for any earth-shattering reason – I just don’t think the Bucs are 100% certain they’re drafting a QB early. Because of how the draft obviously works out, I don’t think they’re refusing to have competition with a rookie QB.  And I think you can defuse that by simply stating “Bridgewater is our starter, Glennon is our backup”. I think Tedford/Licht (and thus Lovie) do not see Glennon as possessing any of the necessary qualities to have success in his offence. While we're not clear on what exactly we'll see, we can expect more spread elements and "speed in space" - I'm thinking somewhat like what the Patriots have been the last few years when they didn't have their TEs. Glennon was not a fast decisions maker. As well, he throws a slow ball (but can throw it far - hence the constant contradiction from pundits on Glennon having a terrible/great deep ball). I think those (as well as other subtle flaws I'm sure) damn Glennon as a QB in Tedford's offence. I think they just don't like him as a fit. Thus in my mind McCown is a stop gap giving the team flexibility to draft a QB when they want - either 1st round or later. Thus they can take who falls to them, rather then reaching for a QB out of need (especially with the 1st pick). If the QB(s) they like are gone in round 1, they can draft a developmental QB laterand have McCown hold the reigns. Thus it seems to me that even in the scenario of drafting a QB in later rounds, the Bucs staff did not see Glennon as able to be a stopgap in Tedford's offence.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I took Licht's comments to be mostly smoke. Probably was right about liking a variety of QBs, but I thought he was pretty loose with the word "franchise." For what it's worth, don't think it's Lovie's announcement - either the timing or the substance - was all that earth-shattering.

...or be taken as literally i.e. "McCown is the starter no matter what" as some appear to be doing.

Speaking only for me, my intention is to state that one of the top 4 qb's will be drafted with the intent to be groomed behind McCown, not Glennon.  After 3/4 of the way through the 2015 campaign,  McCown would only be replaced by , ex. Carr, not Glennon.  If the QB is indeed drafted at pick #7, I see zero future for Glennon here.  He will never, imo, be given a chance to outshine the rookie, hence the announcement of McCown as starter.  And that's what I'm predicting.  I certainly didn't say that was earth shattering. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sweep, I think what you've proposed is perfectly logic.  My take is different, not for any earth-shattering reason - I just don't think the Bucs are 100% certain they're drafting a QB early. Because of how the draft obviously works out, I don't think they're refusing to have competition with a rookie QB.  And I think you can defuse that by simply stating "Bridgewater is our starter, Glennon is our backup". I think Tedford/Licht (and thus Lovie) do not see Glennon as possessing any of the necessary qualities to have success in his offence. While we're not clear on what exactly we'll see, we can expect more spread elements and "speed in space" - I'm thinking somewhat like what the Patriots have been the last few years when they didn't have their TEs. Glennon was not a fast decisions maker. As well, he throws a slow ball (but can throw it far - hence the constant contradiction from pundits on Glennon having a terrible/great deep ball). I think those (as well as other subtle flaws I'm sure) damn Glennon as a QB in Tedford's offence. I think they just don't like him as a fit. Thus in my mind McCown is a stop gap giving the team flexibility to draft a QB when they want - either 1st round or later. Thus they can take who falls to them, rather then reaching for a QB out of need (especially with the 1st pick). If the QB(s) they like are gone in round 1, they can draft a developmental QB laterand have McCown hold the reigns. Thus it seems to me that even in the scenario of drafting a QB in later rounds, the Bucs staff did not see Glennon as able to be a stopgap in Tedford's offence.

tog,  if they don't draft a qb at pick #7, and Glennon gets a fair chance to unseat whomever, whenever, then I'll gladly eat crow.  I no little about Tedford,  so I can't make an intelligent argument as to whether Glennon is as good a fit in the offense as compared to who they end up drafting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Come to think of it, I’ve never posted anything earth shattering.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

tog,  if they don't draft a qb at pick #7, and Glennon gets a fair chance to unseat whomever, whenever, then I'll gladly eat crow.  I no little about Tedford,  so I can't make an intelligent argument as to whether Glennon is as good a fit in the offense as compared to who they end up drafting.

Sweep, I don't think you're wrong about #7.  The only reason I say that is because I'm assuming the Bucs are prepared for the eventuality that their preferred QB doesn't fall to them. As for Glennon, I'm just going off what I saw last year/read about Glennon and what I've read about Tedford's offence. I could easily be 100% wrong. My only difference with you is that I think politics isn't why McCown was brought in and that while the Bucs want to draft a QB early they are also preparing for the eventuality that they can't.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sweep, I don't think you're wrong about #7.  The only reason I say that is because I'm assuming the Bucs are prepared for the eventuality that their preferred QB doesn't fall to them. As for Glennon, I'm just going off what I saw last year/read about Glennon and what I've read about Tedford's offence. I could easily be 100% wrong. My only difference with you is that I think politics isn't why McCown was brought in and that while the Bucs want to draft a QB early they are also preparing for the eventuality that they can't.

Understood, tog.  We'll see how it plays out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ll also say I was 100% against picking up McCown. I think last year was a 7-game wonder and think he’ll fall back down to his career average this year (unless Tedford is also a QB-whisperer).  And although I brought up Glennon’s lack of zip, I’m not sure how much slower Glennon’s ball would be (if at all) given McCown’s age.  I thought Glennon played well given the circumstances, and short of bringing in a 1st round rookie would have been happy to give him a shot. In alternative, I'm one of those people who would have preferred to bring in Vick - not because he's a human hilight reel but because I believe he gives us more a chance to win games than McCown (and may work well in a modified Tedford offence).  And when he gets injured, bring in Glennon!But I've now been thinking the last couple days, maybe they honestly think Glennon can't hack it in this offence. And then, there's always the very likely possibility that Lovie just wants to win now. I just don't think anyone believes McCown can take us to a SB and I hope Lovie is aware of that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Loved the pickup. Gives Bucs a two year bridge to find a true franchise QB.  The “game plan” is already cemented for Glennon. Just get him out of the pocket and it is money in the bank for the opponent.  I wouldn’t mind them picking up Murray in a later round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree with the thought process but not that Glennon will never see the field. They named McCown the starter so he can be at the top of the depth chart and the job is "his to lose". Can he lose it if Glennon plays better? Absolutely. I don't disagree that the team could draft a QB at #7 and I think it's very likely they'll draft a QB fairly high. Brett Smith has been a guy they are rumored to be very interested in.

The last time a McCown was in a QB competition in Tampa, the guy who got named the starter wasnt' the guy who won the competition.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The last time a McCown was in a QB competition in Tampa, the guy who got named the starter wasnt' the guy who won the competition.

doc, you are exactly right.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

doc, you are exactly right.

Cant argue that..... But it paved the way for Freechise remember haha. Damn we shouldve given JJ more of a shot.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Glennon is traded during the draft, which is unfortunate.  Hopefully, we can get a 2nd for him. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep

disagree.  Luke had a good smile but it was no match for Leftwich’s “Magic Johnson” smile.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Methinks it might be Garappolo in the 2nd or 3rd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The writing is on the wall; Glennon is out of here. I think if Watkins is gone and Bridgewater or Bortles is sitting at #7; the Bucs pounce; otherwise, they take Carr in the 2nd or Garoppolo or Smith later. Wouldn’t be surprised if they moved up to get Carr in the late 1st. I actually wouldn’t mind seeing them get Murray in the 4th (which would mean they would have to make a trade) or 5th.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Methinks it might be Garappolo in the 2nd or 3rd

Polian has 'promised' that Garappolo doesn't make it outta the first rd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

https://twitter.com/ESPNNFL/status/438123804179451906

Has someone retained Polian to assist in their draft? 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He may be right though.  Any which way, If we want a QB we need to draft one in round one.  The only guy I would feel confident still being there in tow if he was our target would be Murray.  I think the rapid results of rookie QBs lately is going to really create some rapid movement in the market.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Murray a lot as well.  Been watching him since High School – he was at Plant before picking Georgia over Univ. of Florida.Regarding picking in the first round - that does increase the odds from crappy to tenable... but you have to start somewhere. I see the qbs dropping as I look at the draft - I think the bucs will have a shot at one of the top 3 as I mentioned - and I am one of those thinking it would well be Teddy B.  Frankly, I wouldn't mind any of them, and if Tedford is convinced on Carr or Garrapolo... I am willing to watch and see.  Either way, for now it is McCown unless someone takes the job from him. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to my knowledge but there is this theory out there that we can just wait and take this guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I, like Polian, do not believe that to be the case.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not to my knowledge but there is this theory out there that we can just wait and take this guy in the 2nd or 3rd round. I, like Polian, do not believe that to be the case.

I always wonder how teams evaluate and slot qbs – and while I don’t spend near the time as some do watching college games/qbs – I suspect the inaccuracy we see in drafting makes opinions even with NFL staffs a bit suspect.  Too many examples (including one close to your heart in Brady) of misses early, and hits late.  Classics include Brady and Leaf. 

Please wait…

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.