Viewing 23 reply threads

• Author

• JC5100

Participant

Gholston and Spence are ideal 3-4 players. McCoy with his frame would make for a good DE the same way Seymour was.

Gholston and McCoy at DE. There are a ton of big NTs in free agency. Spence and Smith off the edge. David can be moved around all over.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’ve often thought about this… Spence can play LB with his frame… Interesting notion but would never fly

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

I’ve often thought about this… Spence can play LB with his frame… Interesting notion but would never fly

Don’t understand why, Bucs have been one of the worst defenses in league since 2011. People are afraid of shaking it up.

Please wait…

• GMACsBlankey

Participant

I’ve been saying this for years though the couple threads have been more along the lines of “Lavonte better in a 4-3?”

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

If Smith leaves I want Vrabel as DC. Bring that 3-4 to Tampa.David can do everything Mercilus does.

Please wait…

• J.A.S.H.E.R.

Participant

Ive always wanted a 3-4, but it’d be extremely rough the first year IMO. Look at what happened in Buffalo, Shwartz had them as an elite 4-3 defense… Then he gets released with the hiring of Rex Ryan. It completely destroyed that defense with the 3-4 transition… with Ryan who is one of the best 3-4 coaches out there.

Please wait…

• Castro

Participant

Our linebackers don’t fit a 3-4 scheme, and McCoy at NT is laughable

Please wait…

• mgchat76

Participant

When the Broncos switched to a 3-4 they had a bunch of undersized LB to play in the middle like Danny Trevathean and Brandon Marshall (he’s bulked up a little since).  There’s no reason David and Alexander couldn’t excel in that role as well.  McCoy could be an excellent DE especially if Spence were on his side of the line. I think it’s a great idea, and would put Spence among the sack leaders next season.

Please wait…

• xbucsx_4_xevax

Participant

No one said McCoy would play NT… he would have to move to DE in a 3-4 learn how to read dude. Now that’s laughable

Please wait…

• Dy-nasty D

Participant

The D is finally coming around. I’d rather have some consistency instead of making the players learn another scheme/position.

Please wait…

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

Sealver Siliga is on the roster as well. Would be an excellent DT in the 3-4.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

The D is finally coming around. I’d rather have some consistency instead of making the players learn another scheme/position.

We played bad offenses, especially offensive lines, during that stretch. When we played vs Dallas and New Orleans the defense got worked like normal.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

No one said McCoy would play NT… he would have to move to DE in a 3-4 learn how to read dude. Now that’s laughable

Was watching Houston last night and they line up guys in the 3 tech. It’s really a fun defense to watch. Guys are lining up all over the place and  coming from everywhere.

Please wait…

• Easythe great

Participant

If we signed a guy like Jamie Collins I think we could make it work but it would take some time. The scheme would take McCoy completely out of his comfort zone and he’s better off as a 3-tech DT

Please wait…

• Ft Myers Buc Fan

Participant

This  ^^^^^^

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Need thumpers at linebacker.

Please wait…

• SoDakBuc

Participant

I don’t see any reason why the Bucs couldn’t work a few 3-4 formations into the mix. It wouldn’t hurt to have a few plays from that formation.

Please wait…

• GMACsBlankey

Participant

I don’t see any reason why the Bucs couldn’t work a few 3-4 formations into the mix. It wouldn’t hurt to have a few plays from that formation.

They did in the last game against Carolina. When they went Nickel they were going to a 3-3-5 instead of a 4-2-5 and then blitizing David, Alexander, and/or Smith.

A lot of versatility in the front, especially if Jaq Smith and Gholston can come back and produce at their regular levels.

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

Need thumpers at linebacker.

Shazier and David are the same size and Pit uses him inside

Please wait…

• Derek Sell

Participant

You must be high. We finally are piecing together a stud defense and this harebrained thread pops up.

We are the next seahawks d. we swarm the ball and play lights out football. We are a couple pieces away from elite.

#closethread

Please wait…

• JC5100

Participant

You must be high. We finally are piecing together a stud defense and this harebrained thread pops up. We are the next seahawks d. we swarm the ball and play lights out football. We are a couple pieces away from elite. #closethread

With the playoffs on line playing vs good offenses they got their ass kicked again.

Please wait…

• Swillyboy15

Participant

They did in the last game against Carolina. When they went Nickel they were going to a 3-3-5 instead of a 4-2-5 and then blitizing David, Alexander, and/or Smith. A lot of versatility in the front, especially if Jaq Smith and Gholston can come back and produce at their regular levels.

And that’s the exact reason David had, arguably, his best game of the season. He was wrecking all game long. He is an attcaking, down hill player. That’s how Schiano used him and thats when he’s at his best. He is usually a liability in coverage but a near elite player when you play him to his strengths.

With all the movement along the front we saw this year I feel pretty comfortable that McCoy could adapt to a 3-4 DE. As others have said N. Spence and Gholston are built for it.

We have Siliga who is a big bodied guy and Akeem Spence who is strong as an ox. As others have also said, there’s plenty of big bodied guys in FA and the draft as well.

Alexander is a thumper and fast enough to play in a 3-4 he would (as would the entire team) need to improve his tackling.

How do Robert Ayers and Clinton Mcdonald fit into the 3-4?

With the spread em’ out, up tempo, all the advantage to the offense that we see around the NFL now a days the hybrid 3-4 3-3-5 is defenilty a better way to put more cover guys on the field and attempt to combat the nuances of the offenses of the modern NFL.

Please wait…

• Ramonb

Participant

If at all possible we need some consistency…ppl saying how we got beat by playoff teams, well every team gets beat, this was our first year in the system what were you expecting…perfection from the get go?  We made huge progress on defense this year.  With that being said, if we absolutely can’t keep the same system (even if run by someone else) anything and everything should, at least, be on the table for discussion.

Please wait…

• acacius

Participant

I’m not quite as optimistic about *great* and I don’t think it’s a change the team would *have* to make such a change.  But should the team find themselves in need of a new coordinator, I am pretty ok with the idea of finding the best guy available regardless of his preferred base alignment.  This isn’t the early-2000s Bucs defense with a roster that would make switching to a 3-4 an insane proposition.

Please wait…

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.