Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 31 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

The 2021 draft is really a 2022 draft. What’s most important is to get players who can take over as starters beginning in 2022. If we want to have a perennial contending team its critical that we get some guys who will play starting roles while on their rookie contracts. You want to have guys with a year under their belt ready to step in. I’m sure Licht has 2022 on his mind as he surveys the landscape of the 2021 draft.

2022 Needs to draft in 2021 This is of course my opinion on the order of importance.

WR: #1 Priority. 90% chance Godwin will be gone. If he plays like usual he will get a big FA contract, but not from the Bucs. Evans another year older. Arians needs a stud WR in 2022, and not a rookie. Drafting one in 2021 will mean that stud WR will have a year of experience.

G/C: #2 Priority ] Cappa and Jensen are FAs, but I don’t think it will be prohibitive to resign at least one of them. This is a position you can draft on Day 2 and get a solid starter for 2022.

Edge: #3 Priority Replacement for JPP is on the horizon. But you pretty much have to get one early or not at all, which is why I rank this #2.

TE: #4 Priority. Ledyard says its not a deep TE class and who am I to argue. He also says its a more important position than people think. Whether Gronk, Howard, or Brate will be in the picture in 2022 is unknown.

DT: #5 Priority. Again Ledyard says the DTs are thin this year. I’ll defer to his draft expertise, but the fact remains that we will have a big hole in the middle of the line in 2022. With Vea you have your #1 DT at least, I think it wouldn’t be ideal, but you could get by with a depth player there as we did with Nunez-Roches last year. That’s why I rank this as #5.

S: #6 Priority. Whitehead is a FA, and whether he’s resigned or not I think we could use an upgrade.

CB Note. Carlton Davis is the obvious 2022 Franchise Tag nominee. We can use depth at this position, but I can’t put this as one of the top needs. Davis will get the tag if he’s not re-signed.

RB Note. We could use a RB in 2022, but that player can be drafted in 2022, and I don’t think there’s a big need to draft that player in 2021.

• Roy

Participant

Typo- Edge is ranked #3.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

90% chance godwin gone? Based on what?

I’d say closer to 50/50.

• Roy

Participant

90% chance godwin gone? Based on what?

I’d say closer to 50/50.

If Godwin has another good season, he’ll be looked at as a #1 WR and will command about $20 million for four years. I don’t think the Bucs will want to match it when this draft is a deep WR draft.

• Pennywise

Participant

Great way to roster build , let’s let all of our good players who we drafted walk , because they are up for new contract. And draft replacements and hope they can play , smh

Bucs will have plenty of money to sign Godwin , you re sign top 10 players at their position, you don’t let them walk

• theknees

Participant

If you are looking for sound advice for how to build a team, don’t listen to @pennywise. Holy shit. So you keep Godwin and pay him as a #1 when he’s a #2, and you have his replacement on your roster already. Great plan.

• Roy

Participant

• adkindo

Participant

I am confident the Bucs will place a premium on keeping Godwin. Beyond that, I do agree I hear many casual fans around me conflating the fact that the Bucs are not desperate for a starter from this draft with this draft not being very important. I would argue this draft and next years draft will be critical in avoiding another “losing era” for the Bucs in the near future. We need to hit on multiple picks to remain competitive in a couple years when many key guys are no longer on the roster or even in the NFL. This is why I have no issue with moving later round picks from this years draft and next years draft to move up if that is what it takes to significantly increase our chances at getting a future key contributor. Likewise, I am ok trading down if our FO feels they can get the same level key contributors at a lower pick. I am not even concerned with the position….we will just need good players on rookie contracts when we transition to the next era.

• Roy

Participant

Great way to roster build , let’s let all of our good players who we drafted walk , because they are up for new contract. And draft replacements and hope they can play , smh

Bucs will have plenty of money to sign Godwin , you re sign top 10 players at their position, you don’t let them walk

OK Penny, you make a general statement about letting all our drafted players walk, but lets talk specifics.

I’m letting Godwin walk. 1) They already had to use the franchise tag on him, which means they already have been unable to get a long term deal with him. It was nice to get Shaq resigned after tagging him, but in general it doesn’t get any easier to sign a player once they have been tagged. If he’s top ten as you say, then he’s going to get top ten money. The Bucs have to plan ahead. Can they hope to re-sign Godwin? Yes. Can they plan on it? No. They have to proceed as if they aren’t going to have Godwin.

I’m letting OJ Howard walk. Anybody gonna argue with that? Doubt it.

I’d say the Bucs can probably re-sign Cappa. Jensen will probably be the one on the O-line who may not be retained. He was not drafted by the Bucs.

Whitehead could very well continue with the team, but I don’t see him as a long term starter. I think we could use an upgrade.

So other than Godwin, where are you disagreeing with me?

The thing I’m most concerned with is that Knees agrees with me.

• adkindo

Participant

I’m letting OJ Howard walk. Anybody gonna argue with that? Doubt it.

I am waiting until I see his performance this year before I am making that decision.

• Team Pteranodon

Participant

I guess everybody has much more confidence in Brady not retiring after 2021 than I do, because if he does then QB goes from unmentioned to #1. There’s not much point in looking past 2021 the way this team is right now.

• Roy

Participant

I guess everybody has much more confidence in Brady not retiring after 2021 than I do, because if he does then QB goes from unmentioned to #1. There’s not much point in looking past 2021 the way this team is right now.

Well who knows what will happen, but at this point Brady is under contract through 2022 and I think he is planning on going that far. So I don’t think you count QB as an area of need for 2022 at this point. Does the Bucs braintrust want to hedge their bets on that? Of course I don’t know, but I don’t think so. They could always spend a late pick on a QB, but I don’t think they will use a pick on a QB in the early rounds.

• mjs020294

Participant

Still plenty of time for Godwin to sign a longterm deal this year. He isn’t guaranteed a good season, heck if AB comes back he might not get the ball a lot. Then there is the risk of injury.

The Bucs could give him $15 million a year and save $10 million on this years cap.

• Roy

Participant

Still plenty of time for Godwin to sign a longterm deal this year. He isn’t guaranteed a good season, heck if AB comes back he might not get the ball a lot. Then there is the risk of injury.

The Bucs could give him $15 million a year and save $10 million on this years cap.

Godwin will get more than $15 million. Golladay got $18 mil, which translates to Godwin getting $20 mil or more per year. So sure they can structure that in a cap friendly way for 2021 or 2022, but that money has to hit the cap eventually. Do you think the Bucs are going to want to be the highest bidder in the Godwin sweepstakes?

• JC5100

Participant

How would you view the roster if Cook didn’t fumble and the Bucs lose that game, say 23-13? That’s how they should drafted and how they should have approached free agency.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs are going to focus on trench players and ST that form depth. I am not sure they are going to be drafting players in 2021 to replace players in 2022 IMO.

For example why draft a WR in 2021 when you can draft a WR in 2022? Plus, there is a chance the Bucs can work out a deal with Godwin.

If the Bucs go BAP in the 2021 draft that will help cover most possible holes in 2022 if there are free agent departures.

Build the trenches!

• Roy

Participant

Bucs are going to focus on trench players and ST that form depth. I am not sure they are going to be drafting players in 2021 to replace players in 2022 IMO.

For example why draft a WR in 2021 when you can draft a WR in 2022? Plus, there is a chance the Bucs can work out a deal with Godwin.

If the Bucs go BAP in the 2021 draft that will help cover most possible holes in 2022 if there are free agent departures.

Alldaway, as for why not wait until 2022 for a WR. The answer is because it takes a year or two for a WR to hit their stride. WRs usually have a learning curve. Plus its supposedly a good WR draft this year. Even though there will be several taken before the Bucs pick, there will still be a quality guy there at 32 or Day 2.

This Bucs offense needs weapons. They can’t afford to leave Brady high and dry without top quality receivers. I like Miller and Johnson, but they are not #1 WR material. I would like to see the Bucs move down to the mid 2nd round if they can pick up an extra 3rd. They would then have two 2nd round picks and two 3rds. Its a deep draft at WR. With those four picks it would be easy to address both O-line and WR in day 2.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

I understand what you are saying but you are not replacing Godwin with a 4th round WR. In the event the Bucs need to replace Godwin they are drafting a WR in round 1 and to play that player ASAP.

I mean WR is possible to be a round 1 selection for the Bucs this year due to AB shenanigans.

But Evans is the clear #1a and Godwin is your #1b. Bucs don’t have to necessarily draft a 1a or 1b this year as that can wait next year with the Bucs first round pick.

They can draft a WR that is a step up from Miller/Johnson this year and may even grow to become a #2 WR for 2022.

Build the trenches!

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Defensive line/edge depth is our top priority

1. Suh will be a free agent in 2022. He is 34 years old. He will likely retire and/or lose a step in 2021.

2. Gholston will be a free agent in 2022. He is 29 years old. He is a solid starter but can likely be upgraded in the draft if needed.

3. Jason Pierre Paul will be a free agent in 2022. He is 32 years old. I personally like JPP and would like him back but you never know when the wheels will fall off.

4. Shaq Barrett had 2 exceptional years in Tampa Bay. Let’s hope that he is the guy we think he is and doesn’t revert to average. This isn’t much of a concern but you never know. How often do guys get paid and then dont live up to the hype? Shaq doesnt seem to be that type of guy.

5. Vita Vea is coming off an injury.

6. Even for 2021 season, do we really want to see Nunez-Rochez, Khalil Davis, Pat O Conner, or Anthony Nelson see extended time. You saw the difference in how the defense performed with Vea in the line up.

All this being said, i don’t see how the Bucs dont address this in 2 of the first 3 rounds to be honest.

None of the offensive skill positions are a need. I’d be surprised if we spent any picks on WR, RB, or TE to be honest. I could see a mid round QB and offensive line on that side of the ball.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

We can’t even get Tyler Johnson or Keyshawn Vaughn on the field and we’d draft another?

on the defensive side, feel like there are snaps to go around and this first year can be beneficial to the rookies.

I dont see how RB/WR get better sitting on the sidelines. Same with TE. We will certainly resign Gronk for 2022 and one of Howard/Brate will remain so TE is the least of our worries.

As for RB, like i said, i know all three are free agents next year but we already have a 3rd round pick guy that wont even get dressed this year. Worry about RB next year either through re-signing, free agency, or draft.

Godwin? As long as Brady is here, Godwin will be here.

• Roy

Participant

D-line is a top priority, but if people like Ledyard are to be believed the talent just isn’t there for DT. And for Edge most of the players talked about at 32 are highly speculative types of players with injury histories or they just haven’t produced at the college level. I’m sure that this area will be addressed in the draft, but it might not be until the 3rd or 4th round. That isn’t ideal, but as usual the draft can’t fix everything.

• Roy

Participant

My guess on how the Bucs draft will go position-wise.

1) Offense: OG or WR
      2) Offense: OG or WR
      3) Defense: Edge or S
      4) Defense: Edge or S
      5) DT or TE
      6) DT or TE
      7) CB or LB

The attitude of mock drafters seems to be that the Bucs don’t have any glaring needs, so they can take a flyer on an injury risk player or a boom or bust player. That makes no sense to me. They need this first round pick to be a linchpin for four to five years, even if its starting in 2022.

Trade down? That 32nd pick has value because of the 5th year option. That could mean the Bucs would prefer to stay there, but it also could mean other teams would have incentive to trade up and the Bucs could get something good for moving down five or ten spots. Either way, its a good spot.

• cvillebucfan

Participant

I agree with this assessment. This draft is a 2 part deal for replacing players we will be moving on from in the next 2 seasons.

I think Godwin stays. We have paths in this draft and next to choose ways to shed large amounts of money. We could replace D. Smith, Jensen, Suh, JPP…

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

If the Bucs trade down they can basically go BAP and fill out the bottom ten of the roster nicely while being prepared for 2022.

Build the trenches!

• Roy

Participant

I think the trade down makes a lot of sense for the Bucs, because another team will be willing to move there to get a RB.

Having that 5th year option on one of the top RBs will be worth it for a team like Miami. It would be worth it for them to give up something later on to move up those for spots from 36 to 32. They could get a 5th year option on Najee Harris or Travis Etienne. That would give them three first round picks.

If the Bucs can get an improvement in their Day 2 draft situation it will be worth it to move down to early to mid 2nd Round and finagle their way into an extra 3rd round pick. Forget this business of trying to get a boom and bust injury risk player who might be a stud. Don’t mess with that. Just know you’re role in this draft. We’re picking last. Get a handful of solid team players who will be future solid but not spectacular future starters. We got Winfield in the 2nd Round. We got Godwin in the 3rd Round. Those were home runs, and every pick won’t be that successful. But there are good players in the top 100.

Four Day 2 picks, with maybe one home run, a couple more hits and you will whiff on one now and then no matter what you do. 3 out of 4 ain’t bad. That’s what I’d like to see out of this Bucs draft.

• buc-in-out

Participant

All in for a trade down to 42-45 if we can pick up an extra 3rd rounder in the process.

I really do feel that we might just go BPA if we stay at 32, however. There will be plenty of teams that are looking to fill real needs with all the roster turnover due to the cap, causing them to reach slightly… and we are in the position with our roster construction to take advantage of that.

• BucBalla85

Participant

It’s definitely smart to draft with an eye to the future, especially when you return just about everyone from the super bowl winning team. However they are also going for 2. Not sure how well those two goals will share the draft together but at least we have everyone back from the super bowl team.

• Madman

Participant

Feels like it’ll be C/G at 32. Creed Humphrey or Landon Dickerson. Etienne may give them pause.

• Barnz1

Participant

I agree with a lot of your posts but I strongly disagree with your draft priorities. WR would be at best 5th priority for me and maybe lower.

I would put lots of money on the Bucs not drafting a WR in the first 2 rounds, probably first 3 rounds of this draft. If they draft a WR it will be for replacing Justin Watson as depth to develop. And they will back in Miller and Tyler Johnson to keep improving.

They aren’t going to draft a top WR in this draft over other needs and bury Miller and Johnson on the depth chart. For AB it makes sense to do this because Brady trusts him on the field and he is a HOF worthy WR….not for a rookie.

Priorities I have before a WR:

– DL x 2 – pass rusher off the edge and IDL who can push the pocket
      – OL X 2 – guard and C
      – Coverage Lber

WR might be next equal with a safety/QB/TE

• Pennywise

Participant

I think Bucs first pick will be front 7 , I also think they draft a QB with pick 2 or 3

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

The Bucs will not say no to a WR in round 1 with speed. But they also want to improve speed on defense according to Arians. The byproduct of that is improved special teams play too.

My instincts tell me it should be an edge rusher or LB. A trench OL/DL player is possible. But a darkhorse selection would be another CB/S.

Build the trenches!

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

While we’re in a position to go BPA that’s not attached to a need; a first round pick on a WR would be an absolute waste.

Viewing 31 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.