Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 39 reply threads

• Author

• SackedBySapp

Participant

polian.pngsimply to come in and oversee all operations.... yeah the man is old.....but he's still tapped into the league.....he's one of two Hall Of Fame GM's...... he built the early 90's Bills team that went to 4 consecutive super bowls.....and he built the Colts after that.The glazer boys are in over their heads...... they need a guy who reports directly to them...and has what it takes to oversee lovie and jase......and everything else...  perhaps for two years....... until we get back on track.I can't think of a better candidate to right this ship.... We'd be very lucky if he would say yes....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bill-polian-e1380104567584.jpgsimply to come in and oversee all operations.... yeah the man is old.....but he's still tapped into the league.....he's one of two Hall Of Fame GM's...... he built the early 90's Bills team that went to 4 consecutive super bowls.....and he built the Colts after that.The glazer boys are in over their heads...... they need a guy who reports directly to them...and has what it takes to oversee lovie and jase......and everything else...  perhaps for two years....... until we get back on track.I can't think of a better candidate to right this ship.... We'd be very lucky if he would say yes....

I would be 100% on board with this.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

I touched on this last year here……but for those of you who don’t know…in my opinion…..one of the reasons we are so off course is the team is run by proxy.  I know what the boys titles are…..but at the end of the day……mom still owns the team…..and ALL the brothers and the sister have input.  it’s a recipe for disaster.Polian can speak their language to them......and get them all on board to make the correct decisions.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Said the same before the Lovie hiring…biggest problem is not having an established football mind steering the ship.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah… I don’t know if it’s Polian, but they need professional help.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Polian was just inducted into the HOF. His legacy is set, I highly doubt he would ruin his reputation by coming here. Man Tampa really must be an old folks city, smh. Please tell me you're not one of those "Hire Marty Schottenheimer" guys. and...whats...with...all...the...dots...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

bring in a dinosaur?  i dont see how that helps.  is our problem drafting?  or is it schemes?  i guess its both.  how would polian improve the team just by overseeing?i dont want to discredit polian, but the guy was involved in some lucky situations.  walked into jim kelly, walked into peyton manning.  guess the panthers was all him though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why did he get fired in Indy?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Why did he get fired in Indy?

why did art modell fire bill belichick?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

for the casual fans and kids not aware of the man:•Hired Marv Levy as coach—a move that some initially criticized as cronyism because Polian had worked for Levy in Montreal (Canadian Football League), Kansas City (NFL) and Chicago (United States Football League). All Marv did, of course, was lead the Bills to 112 wins, eight playoff appearances, six division titles and four Super Bowls in a dozen seasons.•Signed Jim Kelly when the USFL folded, ignoring Kelly’s demands to be traded and serious offers from other NFL teams.•Made the blockbuster Halloween trade 28 years ago in which Buffalo, in a three-team deal, acquired rookie linebacker Cornelius Bennett from Indianapolis in exchange for two No. 1 draft picks, a No. 2 and 1,000-yard rusher Greg Bell.•Oversaw drafts that yielded Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Frank Reich, Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, Will Wolford, Howard Ballard, Keith McKeller, Jeff Wright, Carlton Bailey, Phil Hansen and Leon Seals.•Combed the free agent market to acquire players such as James Lofton, Kenneth Davis, Mark Kelso, John Davis, Kirby Jackson and Gale Gilbert—and the waiver wire to land special teams all-timer Tasker.•Revamped the front office, hiring people such as John Butler, A.J. Smith, Bob Ferguson and Buddy Nix, each whom went on to become NFL GMs.Interestingly, Polian had a hand in hiring five Bills now enshrined in Canton and nine who made it onto the Ralph Wilson Stadium Wall of Fame. And you can make an argument he also had a hand in the 12th Man selection for the Wall, because under his watch the Bills led the NFL in attendance six times, despite playing in the league’s second-smallest market. Polian received his big break when Levy hired him to assess future players for the Montreal Alouettes. At the time, Polian was an aspiring football scout, scraping out a living selling advertising for an Upstate New York farm journal. Levy had instructed his assistant, Bob Windisch, to line up some part-timers to scout NFL training camps. One of the people he contacted was Polian.“I didn’t know Bill from Adam,” Levy said. “But after reading his reports, I wanted to get to know him. I remember saying to Bob, ‘This stuff is so thorough, so meticulous, we need to hire the man who compiled these.” Thus, began a relationship that saw Levy and Polian work together in Montreal, Kansas City (Chiefs), Chicago (Blitz) and Buffalo. A debilitating back injury to a Bills player personnel director opened the door for Polian to come to Buffalo in 1984. Wilson was impressed enough with the newcomer’s work to promote him to GM following the disastrous ’85 season, and Polian began the daunting task of reviving a franchise on life support. “Things run in cycles in pro football,” Polian recalled. “The Bills had a number of things go the wrong way, things like the defections of Joe Cribbs and Jim Kelly to the USFL. We set about immediately trying to upgrade our team as rapidly as we could. We worked hard at that, but there also were a lot of fortuitous circumstances that occurred for us.”They included the folding of the USFL, which enabled the Bills to land Kelly, and the unexpected availability of Bennett (through a trade) and Thomas (through the draft). “None of us anticipated that Cornelius would follow through on his holdout with the Colts and that they would consider dealing him,” Polian said. “And had Thurman not injured his leg his junior season at Oklahoma State, there’s no way he lasts into the second round. We wound up winning the lottery a few times.”Polian is quick to point out that the most important player in the Bills renaissance never played a single down.“Without question, none of this happens for me or the Buffalo Bills without our (late) owner, Mr. Wilson,” he said. “He was totally committed to winning. He was adamant about not giving away the rights to Jim Kelly and then agreed to sign him to the biggest contract in NFL history to that point. And people forget there was a time when the Denver Broncos put in a huge offer sheet for Bruce Smith, and although there were some in the Bills organization who said we should let Bruce go, Mr. Wilson said, ‘No way,’ and matched the offer.”And when it came time to draft Thomas, Wilson didn’t flinch. “Marv got Thurman’s college coach on the speaker phone and he assured us that Thurman was completely recovered and had been a workhorse his senior year,” Polian said. “After we hung up, we went over the pros and cons with Mr. Wilson. I told him, ‘Ultimately, this is your call. You are going to pay a lot of money to this guy and it’s conceivable he could get injured again and you don’t know what’s going to happen after that.’ Mr. Wilson said, ‘Ah, everything in life’s a gamble. Go ahead and draft him.’”Polian was fired by the Bills following their third Super Bowl loss, but continued to work his magic in Carolina and Indianapolis. His drafting of Peyton Manning instead of Ryan Leaf—the preferred choice of the majority of NFL GMs at the time—along with the drafting of receiver Marvin Harrison and defensive end Dwight Freeney enabled the Colts to become a dominating franchise, with 11 playoff appearances, eight division titles and one Super Bowl title. Although he left Buffalo 23 years ago, Buffalo never left him. His memories of the Bills’ unprecedented Super Bowl run have grown fonder with time.“I truly believe that was one of the great teams of all time,” said Polian, who shows no signs of slowing down at age 72. “They don’t need a Super Bowl title to validate their place in history. It truly was an honor and a privilege to be a part of it.”

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Colts:He gave a pudgy, undrafted lineman his last shot at football. Before Bill Polian called, Jeff Saturday was managing an electrical supply store in Raleigh, N.C. That pudgy, undrafted lineman wound up starting 202 games in the NFL.He took the wrong running back with the fourth pick in 1999; so infuriated were Indianapolis Colts fans after the drafting of Edgerrin James, some called into local radio shows and threatened to boycott the team. James quelled the critics quickly. He led the league in rushing his first two seasons.He eschewed his team’s defensive needs in the first round of the 2001 draft, instead picking a wide receiver his starting quarterback had never heard of. Fourteen years later, Reggie Wayne is the franchise leader in games played.He convinced his head coach that a defensive end from Alabama A&M – an unknown who couldn’t even get an invite to the NFL Combine that year – was worth trading up for in the 2003 draft. Today Robert Mathis is the Colts’ all-time sacks leader.He rolled the dice on an assassin of a safety in 2004 despite doctors warning him Bob Sanders might not pass the team physical. By his fourth season, Sanders was the NFL’s Defensive Player of the Year.But the shrewdest move came before all of that, and it wasn’t even Bill Polian’s to make. It came in December 1997, when Colts owner Jim Irsay, the new patriarch of a franchise that had plunged into NFL irrelevance and even battled rumors of relocation (the Los Angeles Colts?), sent a third-round draft pick to the Carolina Panthers in exchange for the architect who would lift his team from the league cellar to the victory podium at the Super Bowl.Think Bill Polian was worth it? The Panthers used that third-round pick on a defensive end, Chuck Wiley, who totaled six sacks his entire career. In Polian’s 14 seasons in Indianapolis, he converted a basketball-mad state into a football haven.“You're getting Bernie Kosar! Can you live with Bernie Kosar?” Bill Polian to Jim Irsay, days before the 1998 NFL DraftHow? It began with The Decision. In the spring of 1998, Polian was the Colts’ new president, dwelling over which quarterback to take with the first overall pick in the draft. It was a monumental call. He’d build his team around the right arm of Ryan Leaf, a junior out of Washington State, or Peyton Manning, a senior from Tennessee. Days before the draft, he sat in Irsay’s office and told his boss he was leaning towards Manning. He wasn't sure on Leaf. Worst-case scenario, Polian had decided, Manning would be an average NFL quarterback. Worst-case, he’d be Bernie Kosar.“The pressure was so great in those last 48 hours,” Irsay remembers. “I remember Bill pounding the desk and shouting, ‘You’re getting Bernie Kosar! Can you live with Bernie Kosar?' ”Irsay could. But they weren’t ready to tell Manning when he stopped by the team facility a week before the draft. Manning pressed for an answer anyway. Polian wouldn’t budge. Manning got up to leave.“I just want to leave you with this one thought,” he told Polian. “If you draft me, I promise we’ll win a championship. And if you don’t, I promise I will come back and kick your ass.”Manning went No. 1. The Colts didn’t get Bernie Kosar. They got a five-time MVP who delivered on his word. They got Peyton Manning, and he kicked ass in Indianapolis for 13 years.Next Saturday, Bill Polian, the man who made the decision that might’ve saved professional football in Indianapolis, will enter the Pro Football Hall of FameAfter Peyton said that in my office that day, I told myself, ‘There’s the exclamation point. That proves exactly what we believed about him,’” Polian says 17 years later. “But you have to remember, no one would have predicted Peyton was going to have a Hall of Fame career. No one would have predicted the difficult time Ryan had.“Still, I often joke that if I had picked Ryan Leaf, I’d be parking cars at Lucas Oil Stadium.”What Polian forgets to mention: If he had picked Ryan Leaf, there wouldn’t be a Lucas Oil Stadium

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nice track record I doubt he’d come here though.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Nice track record I doubt he'd come here though.

who says he has to come here?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

our team is in big trouble……. it’s not time for ham & egger thinking……it’s time for creative solutions that bring fast results……and out of the box thinking.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would love to have him here, but if you’re him would you really want to come to Tampa?

Please wait…

• vlagatta

Would love to have him here, but if you're him would you really want to come to Tampa?

of course, for 5M per year.what's it worth to the glazer boys to finally address what has needed to be addressed for 15 years?stupidity is doing the same thing over and over....and expecting different results.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is a silly idea. Polian lost “it” a long time ago, go look at his last 5 drafts in Indy as an example. He was fired from Indy because his own ego got the best of him. Nepotism ran rampant and he basically try to shoehorn his son, Chris,  into the GM role in Indy and his son came in and made one awful mistake after another. I respect BP for what he did while a GM with several franchises, but the guy doesn't have it anymore. And here we are talking about our head coach being outdated and antiquated and you want to bring in Granpa Polian? Laughable....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could Polian be any worse than Malcolm Glazer, who is listed as the Bucs team President?Bring him on!

Please wait…

• vlagatta

This is a silly idea. Polian lost "it" a long time ago, go look at his last 5 drafts in Indy as an example. He was fired from Indy because his own ego got the best of him. Nepotism ran rampant and he basically try to shoehorn his son, Chris,  into the GM role in Indy and his son came in and made one awful mistake after another. I respect BP for what he did while a GM with several franchises, but the guy doesn't have it anymore. And here we are talking about our head coach being outdated and antiquated and you want to bring in Granpa Polian? Laughable....

always good to hear from the casual fans and non-critical thinkers......they balance out the board.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if he (or someone of similar caliber) is hired as a consultant rather than full-time President, that would go a long way to improving this team’s longterm trajectory.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

do the math…….. we’ve been failing for 15 years……and the ONLY people left……the one constant……is the ownership*  everyone else is gone.    that’s all anyone needs to know to understand this.we literally have two options left:1) The Bucs sell to Jeff Vinik or Eddie DeBartolo2) or they Hire Polian*unless you want to somehow blame hardy.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Be it Polian and someone else, if Lovie is fired mid season, then absolutely Polian or someone like him should be brought in to right the ship.  No need to wait until the off season.  This will give the new exec time to evaluate Licht and the coaching staff that is left. Certainly would give us a head start on a new HC search.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I touched on this last year here......but for those of you who don't know...in my opinion.....one of the reasons we are so off course is the team is run by proxy.  I know what the boys titles are.....but at the end of the day......mom still owns the team.....and ALL the brothers and the sister have input.  it's a recipe for disaster.Polian can speak their language to them......and get them all on board to make the correct decisions.

Not sure what your opinion is based on.  How do you know how the Glazers run anything?  How they interact with one another?  Who has input and who doesn't.  Hey...I am fine with you wanting Polian.  Guy has a solid resume (although only one SB), and half the fan base wants to run off the current staff and front office under the delusion that will somehow turn things around quicker.  But I have no clue where you dreamed up that justification. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screw Bill Polian. I want someone who really knows what he’s doing, not some schlub that built Super Bowl teams for three different franchises.  The Glazers need to bring JC5100 out of the shadows and give him the keys to this jalopy.  That dude has an eye for talent.What's Colin Peek up to these days, JC?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Screw Bill Polian. I want someone who really knows what he's doing, not some schlub that built Super Bowl teams for three different franchises.  The Glazers need to bring JC5100 out of the shadows and give him the keys to this jalopy.  That dude has an eye for talent.What's Colin Peek up to these days, JC?

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

im not quite sure the particulars – or what he did at the time – but jim kelly was drafted by the bills before polian, i think reed was too.  polian was director of pro personnel, not GM when bruce smith was drafted.  nitpicky stuff i know, and he does have a great resume no matter what.  but i certainly wouldnt make him the guy for the job TODAY.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

polian.pngsimply to come in and oversee all operations.... yeah the man is old.....but he's still tapped into the league.....he's one of two Hall Of Fame GM's...... he built the early 90's Bills team that went to 4 consecutive super bowls.....and he built the Colts after that.The glazer boys are in over their heads...... they need a guy who reports directly to them...and has what it takes to oversee lovie and jase......and everything else...  perhaps for two years....... until we get back on track.I can't think of a better candidate to right this ship.... We'd be very lucky if he would say yes....

At least he was smart enough to know who the better QB was. Per Polian, he would have chosen Mariota.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

im not quite sure the particulars - or what he did at the time - but jim kelly was drafted by the bills before polian, i think reed was too.  polian was director of pro personnel, not GM when bruce smith was drafted.  nitpicky stuff i know, and he does have a great resume no matter what.  but i certainly wouldnt make him the guy for the job TODAY.

•Signed Jim Kelly when the USFL folded, ignoring Kelly’s demands to be traded and serious offers from other NFL teams.•Made the blockbuster Halloween trade 28 years ago in which Buffalo, in a three-team deal, acquired rookie linebacker Cornelius Bennett from Indianapolis in exchange for two No. 1 draft picks, a No. 2 and 1,000-yard rusher Greg Bell.•Oversaw drafts that yielded Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Frank Reich, Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, Will Wolford, Howard Ballard, Keith McKeller, Jeff Wright, Carlton Bailey, Phil Hansen and Leon Seals.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Litch has done ok so far. I am fast losing confidence in Lovie though. Give me another week on him. But Koetter and Litch are a good foundation, need to find a leader to carry the flag. A take charge guy like Parcells. But not the Schiano type.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’d be cool if Polian came here. I’d also be excited about bringing in David Shaw. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

•Signed Jim Kelly when the USFL folded, ignoring Kelly’s demands to be traded and serious offers from other NFL teams.•Made the blockbuster Halloween trade 28 years ago in which Buffalo, in a three-team deal, acquired rookie linebacker Cornelius Bennett from Indianapolis in exchange for two No. 1 draft picks, a No. 2 and 1,000-yard rusher Greg Bell.•Oversaw drafts that yielded Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Frank Reich, Shane Conlan, Nate Odomes, Will Wolford, Howard Ballard, Keith McKeller, Jeff Wright, Carlton Bailey, Phil Hansen and Leon Seals.

he signed jim kelly because the bills had already drafted him and had his rights.he gave up 2 #1s, a #2, and a RB for a LB.he oversaw drafts, but was not the GM.  like i said, i dont know the power structure they had.  he was the director of pro personnel, not college scouting.  but again, maybe he was more powerful than his title .

Please wait…

• vlagatta

he signed jim kelly because the bills had already drafted him and had his rights.he gave up 2 #1s, a #2, and a RB for a LB.he oversaw drafts, but was not the GM.  like i said, i dont know the power structure they had.  he was the director of pro personnel, not college scouting.  but again, maybe he was more powerful than his title .

only a Mook would even try and critique or question the moves of a Hall of Fame GM...mind you....one of only two in ever enshrined.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

only a Mook would even try and critique or question the moves of a Hall of Fame GM...mind you....one of only two in ever enshrined.

i dont think im questioning the moves.  im questioning whether he was actually in charge of those moves.  they dont fit his job description.  but like i said, maybe he was working outside the bounds of his position at the time?  maybe he was pulling the strings and the GM was just a figurehead?a mook might also assume that what he did 20 years ago would automatically mean instant greatness now.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

a mook might also assume that what he did 20 years ago would automatically mean instant greatness now.

in an advisory role to the glazers?  in no way at all?  you're out of your flippin' mind.the glazers need a buffer between them........and the bullshoot.  he's perfect for the role

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

in an advisory role to the glazers?  in no way at all?  you're out of your flippin' mind.the glazers need a buffer between them........and the bullshoot.  he's perfect for the role

whats an advisor gonna do?  babysit licht?the glazers are hands off.  they have a GM.  there is nothing to buffer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i dont think im questioning the moves.  im questioning whether he was actually in charge of those moves.  they dont fit his job description.  but like i said, maybe he was working outside the bounds of his position at the time?  maybe he was pulling the strings and the GM was just a figurehead?a mook might also assume that what he did 20 years ago would automatically mean instant greatness now.

Terry Bledsoe had come over to the Bills from the Giants in 83 or 84 but had a heart attack in early 85. Bill Polian took over the operation and ran the entire Bills 85 offseason. Polian was given the GM title the following year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Terry Bledsoe had come over to the Bills from the Giants in 83 or 84 but had a heart attack in early 85. Bill Polian took over the operation and ran the entire Bills 85 offseason. Polian was given the GM title the following year.

thanks.  had sbs just mentioned that initially it would have solved a lot of my questions!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In This Thread:SackedBySapp goes full JDub over Bill Polian.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

thanks.  had sbs just mentioned that initially it would have solved a lot of my questions!

like I've said to you many times after making a post..."go fish".  I want you to do your own due diligence.  I think it will make you a better contributing member of the board.....rather than you simply asking 300 questions......which frankly, is most of what you do here.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

like I've said to you many times after making a post..."go fish".  I want you to do your own due diligence.  I think it will make you a better contributing member of the board.....rather than you simply asking 300 questions......which frankly, is most of what you do here.

darn right i question.  you didnt know the info that ryan did, so know we all learned.

Please wait…

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.