Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 18 reply threads

• Author

• ronald macdonald

Participant

Picking at 5, it’s likely that Bosa, QWilliams, and Josh Allen are all gone.

If the Raiders stay put at 4, there will be plenty of teams calling us with offers to move up and get Dwayne Haskins.

Let’s assume we trade down with Pittsburgh who picks #20. They would have to give us, at least, their 2019 2nd round pick plus their 2020 1st round pick.

While we fall 15 spots in the 1st, there is always a great deal of talent in that area of the round. Remember we took OJ Howard at 19. We should still have guys available like Jawaan Taylor, Jonah Williams, Cody Ford, Josh Jacobs, Jaylon Ferguson, Montez Sweat, Deondre Baker, Devin Bush, Dexter Lawrence, Oshane Ximines, etc.

We also would have two 2nd round picks. Including our 3rd round selection we would have 4 picks in the top 75.

Maybe the biggest part of this trade would be the 1st rounder in 2020. I’m predicting a major collapse in Pittsburgh. Leveon is gone. Shazier is retired. AB is our the door. Big Ben can’t do it alone and he should probably call it a career at this point anyways.

There is a good chance the Steelers 2020 1st round pick will be a solid one, likely even top 10.

If Jameis still fails to win games next season, then we likely will have 2 top 10 picks in 2020, which will hopefully be enough to then move up and take Trevor Lawrence.

Please wait…

• bodydenny

Participant

I thought this was Lawrence’s freshman year (true). Wouldn’t he have to stay 2 more years? That would put him in the 2021 draft? Feel free to correct me if I’m wrong.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

1st problem of many with your scenario is Lawrence isn’t draft eligible until 2021 at the earliest. And that would assume he would want to come out his junior year.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

IIRC Big Ben had a career year without Bell. So I don’t see him retiring at the top of his game. And I don’t think his numbers would change much even if Antonio was traded.

Please wait…

• dexmonkey

Participant

so many stupid things in this post. as others have mentioned Lawrence is a true fresh and hes got 2 more years

he might fall flat in year 2 and 3 or get hurt. Jameis was utterly prolific in year one and just above average in year 2. a lot can happen in 2 seasons.

i want to see Lawrence actually have to win a game on his own. just take over. his team was absurdly loaded this year. hes got 2 to 3 1st round talent receivers on that roster plus a stacked defense that can carry him

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

IIRC Big Ben had a career year without Bell. So I don’t see him retiring at the top of his game. And I don’t think his numbers would change much even if Antonio was traded.

Wasn’t a career year for him. He had to throw the ball more than he ever had in a single season. It equated to more yards than he ever threw for, more TDs, 3rd most INTs he ever threw for and they missed the playoffs

Please wait…

• RudeGuy

Participant

Maybe Ronald should have run a poll for this one.

A) I’m Lovin’ It!

B) You deserve a break today.

C) It’s Mac Tonight!

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Wasn’t a career year for him. He had to throw the ball more than he ever had in a single season. It equated to more yards than he ever threw for, more TDs, 3rd most INTs he ever threw for and they missed the playoffs

Sounds like a career year to me. Not making the post season is a team thing, not the QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This thread has so many hypotheticals head is spinning. Not to mention we have our franchise QB and massive holes all over the defense and offensive line. QB is not a position of need.

Please wait…

• Roy

Participant

1st problem of many with your scenario is Lawrence isn’t draft eligible until 2021 at the earliest. And that would assume he would want to come out his junior year.

2nd problem is that you are guaranteeing that the Steelers will be the absolute bar none worst team in football.   This is the team that hasn’t had a losing season since 2003 (15 years) and hasn’t lost less than five games since 1969 (49 years).  They won one game that year under first year head coach Chuck Noll, and drafted a young whippersnapper QB named Terry Bradshaw with that first pick.    And the Steelers won’t own their pick so they won’t have a reason to tank.

This is so ridiculous it doesn’t even deserve a response.  But actually its even more ridiculous than that, and I can’t help but respond.   This board is not running short of clowns.

Please wait…

• Defense5599

Blocked

This post is way off base on so many levels.   First, and most importantly, Lawrence won’t be eligible for the draft until 2021, and that’s if he decides to skip his senior year and turn pro early.   Second, this team has holes at many positions, QB isn’t one of them.   I, for one, would love to see what Jameis can do with a running game and good pass protection.   If he feels like he doesn’t have to carry the team, he is bound to not make risky plays.   Focus on building that up as well as patching up this shitty secondary.   Give Jameis the option year.   If he sucks in 2019, then let him walk and sign a veteran stopgap QB.   Then put your plan into effect for the 2021 draft.

Please wait…

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

This doesn’t make any sense. As others have stated the earliest Lawrence could declare and you will have finish with the #1 overall pick to have a chance. Winston is a turd, so why would the Steelers or any other team give you anything more than a 3rd pick for him?

Please wait…

• DonkeyHunter

Spectator

Winston is a turd, so why would the Steelers or any other team give you anything more than a 3rd pick for him?

Remember what Bradford fetched?

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

I don’t really dismiss the OP’s line of thinking. The specifics are obviously off, but his overall point is to trade down to acquire more picks to take a QB next year. No, Lawrence isn’t available next year, but Tua Tagovailoa might be.

Do I think the Steelers fall apart in 2019? No, I think the OP is reaching on that, but it doesn’t mean another team isn’t in that boat. There are three teams that I believe will take a step back next season… Miami, Baltimore, and Tennessee. The question is, is there any one player that either Baltimore or Tennessee need/want that will not be available unless they get into the top 5? I don’t know that answer. Maybe they do.

The Dolphins on the other hand, I think they’ll be willing to move up for Haskins. Sure, they may want to move up to get ahead of us, but it’s possible that the Bucs convince the world that they’re not interested in a QB. If the Dolphins draft Haskins, while I think the kid will be real good, I think the Dolphins will still struggle in his first season. I think the Bucs could procure a 1st next year and a 3rd this year in exchange for a flip flop of picks. I also believe that the Dolphins could likely be picking in the top 10 next year.

I think the Buc fan base is split into 3 groups on our QB situation. One group thinks that Winston needs to be replaced now. The second group is willing to wait and see what he does next season to decide. The final group believes that Winston is the real deal and should get an extension. If Winston does not pan out, then the Bucs will lose a lot of games and likely have a top 10 pick. Meaning, the Bucs could have 2 top 10 picks and have enough ammo to procure a guy like Tagovailoa.

Please wait…

• TBayXXXVII

Participant

Winston is a turd, so why would the Steelers or any other team give you anything more than a 3rd pick for him?

Bradford was a move by a desperate team, who thought they had a legit shot at the playoffs and Super Bowl and thought Bradford would be able to help them accomplish that. NO ONE will think that of Winston.

Please wait…

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

Ohh I forgot about that… If someone offered the Bucs that, they would almost have to take that.

Please wait…

• Bootz2004

Blocked

Sounds like a career year to me. Not making the post season is a team thing, not the QB.

Well then that means your standards are low. Saying a QB who led the league in INTs had a career year is ridiculous.

Please wait…

• The Anti-Java

Participant

Well then that means your standards are low. Saying a QB who led the league in INTs had a career year is ridiculous.

You are right about the low standards, reading your “contibutions” proves that is true.

Please wait…

• Biggs3535

Participant

Solid plan, Ronald Mac.  But why wait until 2020 to draft Trevor Lawrence?  Go ahead and use that #5 pick in April on Goldilocks.

Please wait…

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.