Currently, there are 0 users and 2 guests visiting this topic.
Viewing 80 reply threads

• Author

• theknees

Participant

Not good…

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

More trask threads.

Just what we need.

• RayJayinTBay

Participant

Oh really!? Thanks for the great insight. Were you a scout previously? Didn’t know they were allowing spectators at the practice.

• theknees

Participant

The issue here is, we did something that most every other franchise wouldn’t have done. Take a flier on a second round QB who simply didn’t grade out that high. His flaws are so obvious at the pro level and they can’t be hidden or improved upon.

Danny Wuerffel was one of the best college QBs of all time, it was clear to anyone with eyes he wasn’t a pro QB. It doesn’t marginalize his college success at all. Because of Kyle Trask’s size, we have been tricked into thinking that he is something he is not. Really damning to just burn a second round pick.

Not sure he’s going to make the team.

• Biggs3535

Participant

The issue here is, we did something that most every other franchise wouldn’t have done. Take a flier on a second round QB who simply didn’t grade out that high. His flaws are so obvious at the pro level and they can’t be hidden or improved upon.

Please remind everyone what your “issue” was last year at this time.

You know your football, slugger.

• TBChucky

Participant

😂

• TBChucky

Participant

Jesus.. Can the kid have more than 1 day in his first rookie minicamp before we declare him a “bust” or “wasted pick”.. BA’s comments carry much more weight to me than any opinions of us Red Board clowns.. lol..

• Pennywise

Participant

I think he grasped it very well,” Bucs coach Bruce Arians said. “He was throwing the ball where it’s supposed to go. He had a couple drops on him, but I thought he looked really good.

Just the way he processes information. He took it from the first time ever hearing it, and he was throwing it to the right guy. He was throwing against some really well-disguised coverages that he saw for the first day of his career. I was real impressed how he processed his information. He was very accurate.”

There’s one thing Arians was sure to mention. The Bucs have begun to spoon-feed Trask the offense. But with each day as a Bucs quarterback, it will become more like drinking from a firehose.

“Whatever we threw at him today? He’s not practicing it tomorrow,” Arians said. “It’s all new (Saturday), and it will be all new Sunday. We throw as much at them as we possibly can. Different protections and hots and sights for all those receivers and the quarterbacks and tight ends. As much volume as we can possibly load up them up with and see how much they retain when we get them back.”

Trask knows he has a lot to digest when it comes to the Bucs’ scheme, its terminology and passing concepts. But already he is seeing similarities between Arians’ offense and what he operated so flawlessly for two seasons with the Florida Gators.

• Roy

Participant

Sheesh. What is this infatuation with Trask whether its positive or negative? He’s just a backup. He hopefully won’t get in a real game until 2023 or so. If he gets in any sooner that’s because Brady got injured. He’ll hold more Surface tablets than footballs. Even the first round quarterbacks are going to be barely functioning in their first year.

Is this a Florida vs. FSU thing? They should have a separate board so Gators and Seminoles can argue in peace.

• Pennywise

Participant

It’s a Bucs board ,Roy , Trask is a Buc , see where I’m going with this?

• Roy

Participant

Trask is a backup QB. As is Gabbert. Where are the 15 Gabbert threads? Trask probably won’t see the field in a regular season game for two years. See where I’m going with this?

• Roy

Participant

I realize Trask is a Florida Gator hero and all, but this isn’t a Tim Tebow situation because Trask isn’t going to play in real games. Tebow started three games.

What comes to my mind is that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the Ark of the Covenant gets put into a crate and carted off to the warehouse. Your precious Gator hero is going to be sitting on the sidelines looking at tablets and that’s all you are going to see of him. So the fact that people are micro-analyzing his first practice is humorous to me.

• Runole

Participant

Jesus.. Can the kid have more than 1 day in his first rookie minicamp before we declare him a “bust” or “wasted pick”.. BA’s comments carry much more weight to me than any opinions of us Red Board clowns.. lol..

Give the perpetual negative nellies a break! lol This is the only issue they have for a fantastic off season. On second thought it is really pathetic to work so hard to be so miserable.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

The OP sure knows how to evaluate QB’s.

It’s well documented…

• theknees

Participant

Lolz @Arians. Trask looked like hell. For those defending him, slow down on your goofy pride. He’s a bust, and it’s not your fault.

@Biggs still has the sorest pie on the Red Board. It’s weird…

• Pennywise

Participant

Arians said rookie QB Kyle Trask has been “fantastic” as only quarterback in minicamp – said he has three guys “coaching the shit out of him” this weekend and now they can back off and let him learn

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I see the Trask situation unfolding very similar to Jordan Love in GB, unfortunately.

Love isnt ready. Bortles was signed.

• Roy

Participant

This has absolutely zero similarity to Jordan Love. The Packers traded a 4th round pick to move up in the first round to get Love. The Bucs used the last pick of the 2nd Round. Rodgers had many years left. We’ll be lucky to get another two years out of Brady. Love was a small school player. Trask was not. Trask does not have to become the franchise quarterback. I’m sorry to tell you that teams will use a Day 2 pick for a depth QB. Those types of QBs may start some games out of necessity, but they aren’t franchise QBs most of the time. I don’t know how anybody can look at Kyle Trask and see a franchise QB. He can hopefully fill in when you need him to and win some games. But he’s not Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford or Justin Herbert. He’s not supposed to be or he would have been drafted before pick 64.

• buc_boi

Participant

Man, it must be the off season.

• Axxon

Participant

This has absolutely zero similarity to Jordan Love. The Packers traded a 4th round pick to move up in the first round to get Love. The Bucs used the last pick of the 2nd Round. Rodgers had many years left. We’ll be lucky to get another two years out of Brady. Love was a small school player. Trask was not. Trask does not have to become the franchise quarterback. I’m sorry to tell you that teams will use a Day 2 pick for a depth QB. Those types of QBs may start some games out of necessity, but they aren’t franchise QBs most of the time. I don’t know how anybody can look at Kyle Trask and see a franchise QB. He can hopefully fill in when you need him to and win some games. But he’s not Aaron Rodgers or Matt Stafford or Justin Herbert. He’s not supposed to be or he would have been drafted before pick 64.

Yep, and no one understands how this works better than Tom Brady am I right?

• Bucko40

Participant

Lets assume the Bucs will pick late in rounds the next 2 seasons with Brady under center. Who would your choice be as Brady’s heir apparent? Next years college QB class is kinda weak right now. Taking a QB like Trask, Mond or Mills in the 2nd round made sense this year. Just so happened that the professionals thought Trask as the best option of the three. Whether you agree or disagree this is where we are today. I will hope that he develops into a quality QB. If he doesn’t then we will be looking at other options in a few years. Time to move on and get behind this team.

• Natural Selection

Participant

This argument really doesn’t hold up logically. The Bucs took the 6th QB off the board. Only one draft in the last 20 had the 6th QB off the board sooner. 13 of the last 20 still had the 5th QB available at pick 64. So this needs to be an elite QB draft, or Trask misevaluated by the other QB needy teams.

Also, predicting talent in future drafts is pointless. Who would have told you this time last year that Wilson, Lance, or Jones would be top 16 picks? Who would have said Trask was a second rounder? Guys take big steps and/or come out of no where pretty much every class.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Should have drafted Quinn Meinerz. Simple as that. It is really that simple.

Trask was a wasted pick. Only a gator honk would defend it.

• Bucko40

Participant

Pewter Report already debunked the Quinn Meinerz prospect. FYI I’m a Buckeye and I couldn’t stand Fields. Trask is in a better situation to succeed.

• harrybucman

Participant

According to PFT, Bruce said that wasted pic looked “fantastic” in mini-camp. He’s really impressed with his accuracy and the way he processes information. Also said he believes he will be ready when called upon. But you have convinced the board that you know more about selecting talent than Bucco Bruce,

• Boid Fink

Participant

We shall see. And if I am right? Will your personal attacks subside and an apology be issued? Or will I not give a flying fuck if you do? Either way, I am right. Trask was a wasted pick. And if a lineman goes down and it becomes an issue, you can sit in the back and suck yourself thumb and my bug d&&k at the same time. Your mouth is if enough for it woman.

According to PFT, Bruce said that wasted pic looked “fantastic” in mini-camp. He’s really impressed with his accuracy and the way he processes information. Also said he believes he will be ready when called upon. But you have convinced the board that you know more about selecting talent than Bucco Bruce,

• harrybucman

Participant

Of course you are right. Just telling you what Bruce said. But what would he know?

• Boid Fink

Participant

I don’t care what Bruce said. He has been wrong a ton since becoming Bucs HC. This was a wasted pick. A Licht pick.

Of course you are right. Just telling you what Bruce said. But what would he know?

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I don’t care what Bruce said. He has been wrong a ton since becoming Bucs HC. This was a wasted pick. A Licht pick.

Calm down. Harry cant handle that *insert personal attack here”

• NotDeadYet

Participant

First, I doubt there’s an O’lineman taken after Trask (3rd round and later) who will see much action in the 2021-2022 season.
      Secondly, as others noted, this was a very deep QB draft, so the odds of getting quality QB this here made sense.
      Third, I have friends who are Viking fans but wanted Trask, and are not so hot on Mond.
      Finally, being a pure pocket QB, he fits our staff’s modus operandi perfectly, and he has track record of being willing to wait for his turn to get on the field. Arians has said Brady will be our QB for however long he wants to be.

• Boid Fink

Participant

So…wasted pick. Blatantly wasted pick. Dumb selection…you guys will see.

First, I doubt there’s an O’lineman taken after Trask (3rd round and later) who will see much action in the 2021-2022 season.
      Secondly, as others noted, this was a very deep QB draft, so the odds of getting quality QB this here made sense.
      Third, I have friends who are Viking fans but wanted Trask, and are not so hot on Mond.
      Finally, being a pure pocket QB, he fits our staff’s modus operandi perfectly, and he has track record of being willing to wait for his turn to get on the field. Arians has said Brady will be our QB for however long he wants to be.

• theknees

Participant

Translated, the kid has no fire and knows once he’s out there in real bullets, he is going to shit himself. It’s weird…

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I don’t get the hoopla pro or con Trask. The transition is going to be overwhelming for any QB. Add to the fact he’s a development QB, I don’t think there should be any true assessment this year. For that matter, HC Arians saying praises for Trask is just public relations. Arians won’t bad mouth a player they just drafted, especially a QB. HC’s and GM’s all love their players.

We can have better info on Trask when he actually gets into games because that’s the only true barometer. I recall all the praise Winston got and his recognition, but gameday showed and all that good stuff went away… unfortunately. Winston couldn’t elevate his college game to the NFL level.

Anyways, HC Arians was rumored to be a QB Whisperer, but failed miserably with Winston.

All Trask talk should be next off-season, not this season. We already know he’s red-shirting this year.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I don’t get the hoopla pro or con Trask. The transition is going to be overwhelming for any QB. Add to the fact he’s a development QB, I don’t think there should be any true assessment this year. For that matter, HC Arians saying praises for Trask is just public relations. Arians won’t bad mouth a player they just drafted, especially a QB. HC’s and GM’s all love their players.

We can have better info on Trask when he actually gets into games because that’s the only true barometer. I recall all the praise Winston got and his recognition, but gameday showed and all that good stuff went away… unfortunately. Winston couldn’t elevate his college game to the NFL level.

Anyways, HC Arians was rumored to be a QB Whisperer, but failed miserably with Winston.

All Trask talk should be next off-season, not this season. We already know he’s red-shirting this year.

Very well stated. I like the pick because they need to have Brady’s replacement ready to go when he hangs it up. With the draft position they were in and the fact that all their starters and key reserves are coming back, they could afford to gamble with a pick like that.

He’s not going to see the field this year except for the first three preseason games (and hopefully we’ll see a lot of him in those three). And I’m ok with that. I’ll bet the Ray Jay will have some fans decked out in Gator blue for those first three preseason games.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Translated, the kid has no fire and knows once he’s out there in real bullets, he is going to shit himself. It’s weird…

Translated, he’s a future HoF, due to the inevitable and well-documented list of @gottajaboo fails.

Great value by Licht.

• BucD

Participant

Well said.

I’m indifferent on the pick of Trask given our team’s situation. I’ll trust Arian’s, and his offensive staff, regarding trask until proven otherwise.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

The knees.
      How’s that guarantee that Justin Evans is going to be a better pro than Budda Baker working out?

How many all-star games did ASJ make it to?

And lastly, lets compare Brady and Winston’s numbers from last year.

I could go on for days. Bottom line is if The Knees says something you can bank on the opposite coming true.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• Boid Fink

Participant

Some of you do t understand that wasting a pick is detrimental? You guys should be ashamed and stop worshipping at the altar of Licht. You guys wanna talk about sheep…

• kenntak

Participant

The thing is you don’t know if it is a wasted pick until he fails. Winston and Mariotta were 1-2 and in their 6th year they were not even starting. Why such fervor over a pick that could turn out good or bad? I would complain if and when he fails to achieve, but why waste all of this time, stress, and energy on something that is uncertain?

• harrybucman

Participant

Most rational minds understand exactly what you said. But it’s so obvious you’re not dealing with a rational mind. He actually believes he’s a superior thinker. Reminds me of another guy. can’t remember his name but he thought he knew more about military operations than his generals, more about science than the scientists and more about everything than everybody. This doughnut is just as narcistic as that gut. He doesn’t believe it’s possible that he could be wrong

• Boid Fink

Participant

Because it was a wasted pick on a low ceiling player. He is Blake Bortles/Ryan Griff rolled into one. Could have drafted depth linemen. Instead of wasting a decent pick in a three year project player. What the hell is so hard to understand? We aren’t splitting atoms here. It was a crap pick during a super bowl run…Trask isn’t the future of anything good. And when it happens, I will remind you gator chomp honks what’s up. Garbage pick simple as that. Don’t like it? Cry some more. Trask sucks. He will never be a good nfl player. Ever.

The thing is you don’t know if it is a wasted pick until he fails. Winston and Mariotta were 1-2 and in their 6th year they were not even starting. Why such fervor over a pick that could turn out good or bad? I would complain if and when he fails to achieve, but why waste all of this time, stress, and energy on something that is uncertain?

• RW

Participant

Because it was a wasted pick on a low ceiling player. He is Blake Bortles/Ryan Griff rolled into one. Could have drafted depth linemen. Instead of wasting a decent pick in a three year project player. What the hell is so hard to understand? We aren’t splitting atoms here. It was a crap pick during a super bowl run…Trask isn’t the future of anything good. And when it happens, I will remind you gator chomp honks what’s up. Garbage pick simple as that. Don’t like it? Cry some more. Trask sucks. He will never be a good nfl player. Ever.<br />
        <br />
        Why are you going on and on about this? The Bucs Superbowl aspirations this year will not be affected by this pick whether Task or someone else. If needed the Bucs will pick up a cheap vet to fill any role required.

• buc_boi

Participant

You TDS sufferers can leave the politics talk down in The cove where it belongs.

never did understand why that’s so difficult.

• BucHarbour

Participant

I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed reading this thread. Let’s just start right out by stating more than half of 1st round QB’s fail. Why? Simple. Way too many talent evaluators put arm strength and athleticism as the top qualities of a good NFL QB when these aren’t significant to the position beyond the minimal level of strength required to make all the required throws. No, the most important aspects are the ability to process what the defense is doing, then accurately throw the ball to where it needs to be and to do so on time. This is what Brady does. This is pretty much what every Super Bowl winning QB (save a couple who relied on stellar defense) does.

I still remember when we were drafting Winston and I made my football case against him based on accuracy. But LOOK! He can throw it 75 yards in the air with zip! To the wrong guy. I liked Trask because of his accuracy and timing, as well as his ability to process what the defense was doing. Those skills are top end NFL level. Sure, he needs to throw passes like the quick outs and other short outside passes with more velocity, but the rest of the field he’s stellar. They’ll work on his throwing motion to maximize those throws. I have seen him throw with zip, so I know he can do it, but he relies much more on throwing passes that are easy for the receiver to catch. If he can step those passes up and pick up the nuances of the coverages he’ll face and the routes his receivers are running, then he can be a starter in this league. If not…then he won’t be able to cut it. Considering how much he improved from 2019 to 2020, and how little he’s actually played in games, I think the odds favor him.

As far as wasting a pick, the only depth positions we really needed to address that we didn’t significantly do so would be DT. This draft sucked for DT’s and we would have wasted a pick getting one of them in the 2nd. We would have gotten a guy roughly on par with our current depth (limited). Addressing the OLB spot with Tryon fixed the DL depth that was most concerting. This was the year to get a QB when the right one was available for the right price and you could sit him on the bench until Brady retires. I can guarantee you if the Bucs won every game (not likely, but not impossible) Brady will retire. He might retire if we just win the SB again (happy wife, happy life, and she would prefer he retire). What would we do then? Pick a QB at the end of the first round (effectively a second rounder). Throw a bunch of draft capital to move up and get a better QB at the upper end of the first? That would be a “waste” of picks. There are plenty of QB’s that have become stars that weren’t first rounders and weren’t highly thought of at first. I could go on, but some of you are “geniuses” in you own minds and think Bruce and Licht are idiots. That doesn’t speak too highly of your opinions.

• theknees

Participant

Lolz

• Boid Fink

Participant

Lol

• BucsSavant

Participant

Cowards with nothing worthwhile to contribute^

• Boid Fink

Participant

We contributed enough fat boy.

• BucsSavant

Participant

My body fat% is surely low enough to seduce your fat wife, cuck

• garfield

Participant

The people against Trask in this thread, most notably knees, can’t be taken seriously seeing as how he was the biggest and still is the biggest Winston slurper out there, and thought Brady would be garbage last season, so he clearly doesn’t know the first thing about evaluating QB play.

Funny that we are judging Trask vs air but when Winston was doing it his first camp and throwing INTs left and right, it was ok.

• Boid Fink

Participant

I got married? Nice!

Go back to your burger fatbelly. Trask was a wasted pick.

My body fat% is surely low enough to seduce your fat wife, cuck

• kenntak

Participant

Is Boid Fink and The Knees the same person? I can’t keep up with The Knees’ multiple accounts.

• seekpar

Participant

Based on theknees’ assessment, Trask will be a HOF QB.

• ryan24

Participant

Not good…

So you’re saying he’s at least as good as Winston.

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

I knew I wouldn’t be disappointed reading this thread. Let’s just start right out by stating more than half of 1st round QB’s fail. Why? Simple. Way too many talent evaluators put arm strength and athleticism as the top qualities of a good NFL QB when these aren’t significant to the position beyond the minimal level of strength required to make all the required throws. No, the most important aspects are the ability to process what the defense is doing, then accurately throw the ball to where it needs to be and to do so on time. This is what Brady does. This is pretty much what every Super Bowl winning QB (save a couple who relied on stellar defense) does.

I still remember when we were drafting Winston and I made my football case against him based on accuracy. But LOOK! He can throw it 75 yards in the air with zip! To the wrong guy. I liked Trask because of his accuracy and timing, as well as his ability to process what the defense was doing. Those skills are top end NFL level. Sure, he needs to throw passes like the quick outs and other short outside passes with more velocity, but the rest of the field he’s stellar. They’ll work on his throwing motion to maximize those throws. I have seen him throw with zip, so I know he can do it, but he relies much more on throwing passes that are easy for the receiver to catch. If he can step those passes up and pick up the nuances of the coverages he’ll face and the routes his receivers are running, then he can be a starter in this league. If not…then he won’t be able to cut it. Considering how much he improved from 2019 to 2020, and how little he’s actually played in games, I think the odds favor him.

As far as wasting a pick, the only depth positions we really needed to address that we didn’t significantly do so would be DT. This draft sucked for DT’s and we would have wasted a pick getting one of them in the 2nd. We would have gotten a guy roughly on par with our current depth (limited). Addressing the OLB spot with Tryon fixed the DL depth that was most concerting. This was the year to get a QB when the right one was available for the right price and you could sit him on the bench until Brady retires. I can guarantee you if the Bucs won every game (not likely, but not impossible) Brady will retire. He might retire if we just win the SB again (happy wife, happy life, and she would prefer he retire). What would we do then? Pick a QB at the end of the first round (effectively a second rounder). Throw a bunch of draft capital to move up and get a better QB at the upper end of the first? That would be a “waste” of picks. There are plenty of QB’s that have become stars that weren’t first rounders and weren’t highly thought of at first. I could go on, but some of you are “geniuses” in you own minds and think Bruce and Licht are idiots. That doesn’t speak too highly of your opinions.

Love this analysis!!! Very good read!!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Much like you must be Java. Are you kidding me gator homer? If you don’t like a pick, and say you don’t, suddenly you have no football acumen?
      You guys are the slow minded and weak fans. Weak people at the least. Trask sucks. Deal with it. The other picks were decent. But Trask was a wasted pick. You dumbasses will get that soon enough, stop being Traskersexuals.

Is Boid Fink and The Knees the same person? I can’t keep up with The Knees’ multiple accounts.

• kenntak

Participant

I am certainly not a gator homer, having gone to FSU and USF. However, I am just saying give the guy a chance before already calling him a wasted pick before his first season. Maybe he will surprise you, maybe he will be a disaster. I am not ready to throw someone in the garbage before I even see them perform in the pros. You seem so fanatically opposed to the pick, that I am wondering whether you have an ulterior motive. I like to keep an open mind and not be so emotional about something that is unknown at this time. I don’t want a wasted pick just as much as you, but I am not ready to try and convict Trask this early in his career.

• theknees

Participant

It’s not convicting Trask. He’s just not a starting QB in the NFL and possesses very few of the qualities a team looks for at that position. Mond was there and he has as high a ceiling as anyone in the draft. Also, because Tampa is super loaded, we could have drafted two OL in our first three picks and really could be on to something long term on the OL. Chris Simms is about as sound a QB analysis guy as there is on the planet. He’s wasn’t huge on Trask. Simms is rarely wrong when pointing out flaws. I expect Trask to be a solid backup in the league for years to come.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

It’s not convicting Trask. He’s just not a starting QB in the NFL and possesses very few of the qualities a team looks for at that position.

I wasn’t particularly high on Trask coming out, but his future just keeps looking better and better.

• Boid Fink

Participant

So you are preaching basic concepts about wait and see like we don’t know about this already, while calling me theknees? Gtfo. Trask is a wasted pick, and that is my opinion, so let’s start calling people names. And when I retaliate, you guys can’t handle it. If you can dish it, you have to take it as well. It isn’t a sin nor an offense worthy of verbal bashing if I say I strongly dislike of the selection. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And mine is strongly that this is a giant wasted pick. It made no sense at all.

I am certainly not a gator homer, having gone to FSU and USF. However, I am just saying give the guy a chance before already calling him a wasted pick before his first season. Maybe he will surprise you, maybe he will be a disaster. I am not ready to throw someone in the garbage before I even see them perform in the pros. You seem so fanatically opposed to the pick, that I am wondering whether you have an ulterior motive. I like to keep an open mind and not be so emotional about something that is unknown at this time. I don’t want a wasted pick just as much as you, but I am not ready to try and convict Trask this early in his career.

• BucsSavant

Participant

It’s not convicting Trask. He’s just not a starting QB in the NFL and possesses very few of the qualities a team looks for at that position. Mond was there and he has as high a ceiling as anyone in the draft. Also, because Tampa is super loaded, we could have drafted two OL in our first three picks and really could be on to something long term on the OL. Chris Simms is about as sound a QB analysis guy as there is on the planet. He’s wasn’t huge on Trask. Simms is rarely wrong when pointing out flaws. I expect Trask to be a solid backup in the league for years to come.

Simms is a complete moron, he’s nothing if not frequently wrong. He’s also one of those guys who seems slightly bitter, and analyzes players as if he forgot how bad he himself was when he played.

• theknees

Participant

Simms is a complete moron, he’s nothing if not frequently wrong. He’s also one of those guys who seems slightly bitter, and analyzes players as if he forgot how bad he himself was when he played.

This is as big a lie as has been stated on this board. Simms is not frequently wrong. In fact when it comes to the QB spot, he’s way more accurate than either Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. He loved Mahomes coming out of college and hated Mitch T. He was never big on Darnold but loved Herbert. Simms knows the QB spot better than almost anyone alive. Trask has way too many things to overcome to be a legit NFL caliber QB.

• BucHarbour

Participant

So he knows more than Arians and our staff? Ohhhh Kayyy. Yeah, well, all I know is that your spectacular (by that I mean like 100% wrong) analysis on QB’s tells me Trask is going to be a Hall of Famer now. I’m pretty sure Simms hasn’t sat through every single throw Trask has made. I have. I know he can throw up some floaters when he doesn’t get enough twist into his throws. I also know he can beam it in between two defenders, as I’ve seen it quite a few times. He’s a work in progress that showed tremendous improvement from 19 to 20 and he has enough left to improve further and reduce his weakness. You and Simms are wrong.

• Born A Buc For Life

Participant

Sims biggest problem with Trask was his mechanics and not using his size to make better throws. It’s something that can be fixed.

• kenntak

Participant

I apologize Boid Fink for calling you names. That being said, this is not a case of handling or not handling something, I just think you are making sweeping assessments too soon. I hope you are wrong, and I am sure you hope you are wrong as well. You are of course entitled to your opinion, and everyone else too.

• seekpar

Participant

IMHO there’s nothing wrong with having an opinion and expressing it. But expressing it over and over and over and over and over with the same comments ad nauseam in as many threads as possible is incredibly tiresome for the rest of us.

• LIBucsFan93

Participant

This is as big a lie as has been stated on this board. Simms is not frequently wrong. In fact when it comes to the QB spot, he’s way more accurate than either Mel Kiper or Todd McShay. He loved Mahomes coming out of college and hated Mitch T. He was never big on Darnold but loved Herbert. Simms knows the QB spot better than almost anyone alive. Trask has way too many things to overcome to be a legit NFL caliber QB.

Just curious. Which QB or player would you have taken instead of Trask. Just so we have it on record for future debate. Please don’t say Quinn Meinerz. The Bucs passing on him twice speaks volumes. Also, PR has already debunked him as a prospect.

Quite frankly the only 2 players taken after the Trask selection that I thought the Bucs might consider were Aaron Robinson or Joseph Ossai.

• GIJoeWasThere

Participant

Trask will be a decent back up for years to come.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Amen.

I apologize Boid Fink for calling you names. That being said, this is not a case of handling or not handling something, I just think you are making sweeping assessments too soon. I hope you are wrong, and I am sure you hope you are wrong as well. You are of course entitled to your opinion, and everyone else too.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

I’m not a Trask fan, but since we have him, I hope the best for him.

The problem with selecting Trask is he’s not a great fit for the vertical offense because he doesn’t have a big arm. That’s the surprising part about Trask when you take into account his physique. He’s great in short areas when he has top end receivers. I do hope that Trask can work on his mechanics to develop a deep ball as well as become a bit more mobile.

We’re spoiled with Brady because Brady excels with so many different receivers, but also Brady changed this offense to utilize the short to intermediate routes more. We take shots down the field when the defense gives us sliver of an opening. Maybe if the offense remains like it does with Brady at the helm, then Trask might be a good fit. Therein lies the rub, Trask doesn’t have Brady’s experience.

Looking at WalterFootball’s projected 2022 QB’s, there isn’t a lot there right now. I guess the org doesn’t feel there’s any QB worth it in the bottom of the first or second round at this time. Then again, QB’s often get pushed up higher, which is what happened with Trask. This also happened when we drafted Glennon a round early, predicting there would be a run on QB’s.

With Brady here, I would have rather shored up everywhere else, including playing chess with possible player replacements in 2022.

… Drafting players for the wrong scheme
      2016… drafted OLB Noah Spence for a 4-3 defense
      2018… drafted a run only RB for a vertical passing offense
      2020… drafted a non-deep ball arm for a vertical passing offense

Still, now that we do have Trask, I hope his redshirt year proves to be a great learning curve for him mentally and physically. This coming season should be huge for Trask’s development. In 2022 pre-season is when we get to see what we truly have in Trask. We’ve already bit the apple; there’s no need to complain about something you can’t change. So let’s pull for the kid!

I reluctantly pulled for Aguayo when we drafted him in the 2nd round and I’m an FSU fan! hahahahhahahahah I was like… wait, we traded up for a kicker in the 2nd round when we needed OL help?

• Pennywise

Participant

His arm is as strong as Brady’s , and Brady led the NFL in throws 20 yards or more , last year

And like Kurt Warner said , 99% of all throws are under 40 yards

Trask arm is fine .

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

His arm is as strong as Brady’s , and Brady led the NFL in throws 20 yards or more , last year

Trask arm is fine .

Wow. Gonna use 40 yards + as your metric for deep throws, huh?

Welp, back on earth, people do track what a deep ball is in the NFL. It’s called the deep ball project. Deep balls are balls that have traversed at least 20 yards from the line of scrimmage to its target.

Last year with the Bucs, Brady ranked 15th most accurate deep ball passer. Now, this is surprising. Man, we did throw it deep quite often and more than I thought. I’d have to say that TE Gronk was also a huge part of that as we incorporated more TE passing.

20 yards + pass attempts

2019 Winston 31/84 comp; accuracy 37/84 (44.05%) 21st most accurate
          2020 Brady 35/88 comp; accuracy 45/88 (51.35%) 15th most accurate
          2020 Mahomes 22/61 comp; accuracy 36/61 (59.02%) 3rd most accurate

Brady threw more 20+ yards than Mahomes or Rodgers (71 attempts).

36-40 yards pass attempts

2019 Winston: 6/12 comp; accuracy 6/12 (50%) 8th most accurate
          2020 Brady: 5/9 comp; accuracy 6/9 (66.67%) 9th most accurate
          2020 Mahomes: 1/10 comp; accuracy 5/10 (50%) 15th most accurate

Wow. Brady is more accurate down field than Mahomes or Winston.

40+ yards pass attempts

2019 Winston: 3/10 comp; accuracy 2/10 (20%) 24th most accurate
          2020 Brady: 5/16 comp; accuracy 5/16 (31.25%) 24th most accurate
          2020 Mahomes: 4/9 comp; accuracy 5/9 (55.56%) 8th most accurate

Brady took more shots beyond 40 yards than Mahomes? You think Trask has the same arm as Brady? Right now, nope. I do hope in the future he can develop it, but very unlikely.

• buc-in-out

Participant

Trask arm is fine .

That’s exactly it. Brady doesn’t have Mahomes/Allen/Rodgers arm strength, he never has.. and at age 43 he executed BA’s system pretty damn well I’d say.

Everyone likes to say how BA’s offense is vertical… yeah for sure he loves to take his deep shots, but if the running game is working he’s going to run it and run it and run it… he wants to run it more then pass. You saw that in the playoffs.

Dirk’s offense was much more vertical IMO. BA wants to run the ball and take deep shots off PA.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Trask arm is fine .

That’s exactly it. Brady doesn’t have Mahomes/Allen/Rodgers arm strength, he never has.. and at age 43 he executed BA’s system pretty damn well I’d say.

Everyone likes to say how BA’s offense is vertical… yeah for sure he loves to take his deep shots, but if the running game is working he’s going to run it and run it and run it… he wants to run it more then pass. You saw that in the playoffs.

Dirk’s offense was much more vertical IMO. BA wants to run the ball and take deep shots off PA.

Last season’s offense wasn’t Arians’ vertical offense. Brady changed it to resemble more like New England’s offense except with a few deep shots per game. Arian’s first year with Tampa, that was the typical Arians’ vertical offense as Winston followed all the other QB’s with high interception rates.

Let’s not have rose colored glasses here about actual history. Arians is “no risk it, no biscuit.” Brady is, “I’ll take what the defense gives me.” Brady won out, but he had TE Gronk as another factor for changing the offense.

Brady’s got an arm and it’s a shame you say he doesn’t. Ask Scottie how many times Brady’s gone deep? smh

• captain ahab

Participant

I suppose posters like Boid fink did not watch many gator games, when Franks went down to injury the gator offense was totally different under Trask. He was incredibly accurate with his throws and I did not see or notice any lack of arm strength with his throws down field, seemed to drop dimes. I personally would have chosen Trask over first round pick Mac Jones. Jones was surrounded with an all star cast at Bama.
      As for this poster Boid fink, how about growing up just a bit and not calling people names because they disagree with you, I’m assuming your a grown man and not a child.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

He (Trask) ranked second among FBS quarterbacks in passer rating on deep throws (139.6),

Per PFF. Just imagine how great he would be if he can improve his arm strength.

It’s pretty obvious that some peoples agenda is more important than the actual facts.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• theknees

Participant

I suppose posters like Boid fink did not watch many gator games, when Franks went down to injury the gator offense was totally different under Trask. He was incredibly accurate with his throws and I did not see or notice any lack of arm strength with his throws down field, seemed to drop dimes. I personally would have chosen Trask over first round pick Mac Jones. Jones was surrounded with an all star cast at Bama.
      As for this poster Boid fink, how about growing up just a bit and not calling people names because they disagree with you, I’m assuming your a grown man and not a child.

Trask had two first round receivers in his offense as well.

Again, if Chris Simms isn’t on board with a QB out of college,then that QB is not going to succeed. I’ll give you a dollar if you can find me one example where this isn’t the case. He’s damn near 100% on pre-draft calls.

• BucHarbour

Participant

The Gators had no running game. He was throwing against 8 back constantly and still dropping it in where only his player could get it. Sure, Pitts made it easy at times to just place it high in the right spot for Pitts to snare it out of the air. But he still had to place it right where it was out of reach for the DB and Pitts could get it. Let’s face it, your history with QB’s kinda sucks. You may want to just wait and see how things go.

• Pennywise

Participant

Again , Brady led the NFL in deep throws last year , and Brady has a average arm
      Trask will be fine , and if he’s not , it won’t be because of arm strength

• buc-in-out

Participant

Trask arm is fine .

Last season’s offense wasn’t Arians’ vertical offense. Brady changed it to resemble more like New England’s offense except with a few deep shots per game. Arian’s first year with Tampa, that was the typical Arians’ vertical offense as Winston followed all the other QB’s with high interception rates.

Let’s not have rose colored glasses here about actual history. Arians is “no risk it, no biscuit.” Brady is, “I’ll take what the defense gives me.” Brady won out, but he had TE Gronk as another factor for changing the offense.

Brady’s got an arm and it’s a shame you say he doesn’t. Ask Scottie how many times Brady’s gone deep? smh

Any NFL QB can physically make the 40 yard throws Brady tossed to Scooter, or Godwin in the playoffs for example.

Are you trying to tell me Brady’s got elite arm strength? He doesn’t. He has an NFL arm for sure, he can throw it with some zip.. but you’ll never see Brady running to his left and throwing a laser cross body like Mahomes or Allen. There’s a reason Brady was a 6th round pick.

Elite arm talent is a little overrated if you can’t throw with touch, if you can’t read a defense, if you can’t process quickly and go thru your progressions, and if you can’t throw with accuracy.

I agree with Pennywise, if Trask is a bust it won’t be because of his arm strength.

• harrybucman

Participant

Again, if Chris Simms isn’t on board with a QB out of college,then that QB is not going to succeed. I’ll give you a dollar if you can find me one example where this isn’t the case. He’s damn near 100% on pre-draft calls.

Yes, Trask had two first round receivers but he didn’t have the offensive lineman in front of him that Bama had. If you don’t understand how important that extra half second of processing time is to a QB’s success then you know nothing about the game at all.

• BucsSavant

Participant

You must be trolling again because Simms is truly an idiot. Off the top of my head I can recall him saying Rosen is “Matt Ryan with a better arm” as well as raving about Dwayne Haskins. Would be interesting to look back and see if he knew Winston would be such a bust ahead of time…

• theknees

Participant

Or, he didn’t like Rosen and thought Haskins, Tua, and Darnold, were trash.

Dude is rarely wrong. He’s certainly not an idiot.

• BucsSavant

Participant

At 1:05:04 he starts talking about Rosen, and drops the Matt Ryan line.

Really, Simms switches up his rankings constantly before every draft, then in hindsight point back at whichever were closest to correct.

And you never answered, boy. Did Simms call that Winston would be such a miserable bust?

• Greattimes

Participant

If “Draft Gurus” like Kiper, McShay and all the talking heads, including Simms on ESPN and other outlets were any good at evaluating talent they would be hired by NFL teams. Just look at Kipers 10 best available after the 2nd round of the draft and watch how long those 10 best last undrafted. Anything Simms or any other talking head says about players should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Pennywise

Participant

Yeah, it’s not easy when you’re going against our defense,” Arians said. “He

Per Jbf

BA on Trask

has seen a multitude of coverages and blitzes, so I’m really impressed.

“Having worked with guys for the first time in this offense, he’s at the top of the list as far as the learning curve and he’s throwing the football really well.”

“Mentally, [Kyle Trask] isn’t far behind what Andrew did in the same offense,” Arians said. “What Andrew did that year was unbelievable. I’m not saying he is Andrew Luck, but mentally he is really, really sharp.”

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

No one doubts that Trask has a sharp mind like Luck. Problem is that Luck is a generational talent that can extend plays while Trask can not.

Trask needs an all star cast around him to function…his ceiling is Alex Smith lite. Before injuries wrecked Alex Smith he too was an athletic phenom coming out of college like Luck with a high intellect.

Trask is too limited athletically to have a career similar to Luck or Smith. The organization set the bar low by comparing him to Brad Johnson lite.

Build the trenches!

• BucHarbour

Participant

You can be a statue and win as a QB. All that athleticism is a waste at the QB position unless you have a crappy o-line. That’s the only time being an athletic QB in the NFL has value. This league is too fast for a QB to be running around and making plays on his feet. It gets them hurt and shortens their career. I could literally rattle off a dozen QB’s that were athletic and could wing that ball down the field with ease, but never won the big games and left the league after their first or second contract. The league is littered with QB failures where athleticism was valued to highly.

The only thing that counts in the NFL is that you can recognize the players that are going to be open and you can deliver the ball where it needs to be for them to catch it and avoid the pick. That’s it. Brady’s made a career of doing that. You guys seem to think the Mahomes types are going rule the NFL, when I wouldn’t be surprised if he was out of the league in another 10 years due to injury.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by BucHarbour.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

His throwing mechanics is going to limit him to a career backup.

Build the trenches!

• theknees

Participant

It’s starting to sound like Trask is in the doghouse already. It’s weird…

• Pennywise

Participant

How athletic is Brady ? Was Brees ? Was Peyton ? Eli etc etc

You don’t need to be Mr athlete at the QB position to succeed. You need to have a good head on your shoulders and make the right decisions , and don’t be a turnover machine like Winston .

• Donkey

Participant

Chris Simms picked against the Bucs in the Saints game, the Packer game and the Chiefs game. Yeah he’s a real genius.

• theknees

Participant

Chris Simms picked against the Bucs in the Saints game, the Packer game and the Chiefs game. Yeah he’s a real genius.

Yeah, as did Vegas. I don’t ring him up for picks in games. His QB analysis is rarely wrong.

So here is this season: Zach, Trevor, Mack, Kellen, Justin, Trey. Didn’t have Trask in his top 7. We burned draft capital on a QB to sell jerseys. Really damning stuff.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

The more I study Trask the more I realize he is going to be a career backup. Solid but he has too much working against him.

His throwing mechanics are just all around dreadful. Other QB’s with unorthodox or poor throwing mechanics typically can compensate with pure, raw arm strength or sheer athletic movement.

Trask is lacking all categories while being saddled with a throwing mechanic that defensive coordinators will salivate over.

Build the trenches!

• Boid Fink

Participant

Trask throws beach balls. This comparison between Kyle and TB12 is comedy at its worst. I can see the gator chomp chomp honks are letting their ncaa loyalties run their opinion, and that cracks me up. This is a Bucs board, screw UF, and FSU. The Miami homers seem to be more real with it lately.

• Kermit56

Participant

His throwing mechanics are just all around dreadful.

I haven’t seen him throw other than in college games. What is it about his mechanics that make you believe they are dreadful?

Viewing 80 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.