Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 19 reply threads

• Author

• jbear

Participant

https://greenwald.substack.com/p/journalists-start-demanding-substack?token=eyJ1c2VyX2lkIjoxODkxOTUyOCwicG9zdF9pZCI6MzM1NTMxODcsIl8iOiI4bFMxaiIsImlhdCI6MTYxNTQ4MDQ0OCwiZXhwIjoxNjE1NDg0MDQ4LCJpc3MiOiJwdWItMTI4NjYyIiwic3ViIjoicG9zdC1yZWFjdGlvbiJ9.p8FziHJNZURK91AjUwZhPyKWUtqVnEnt3lvc12oruLE

I mean jesus shut UP already! Joe has everything under control here. We’re only going after the ones spreading the lies or mocking the good journalists who tell your what their told to tell you.

• jbear

Participant

Here’s where it gets good.

As it turns out, we did not have to wait long for the initiation of the censorship campaign aimed at Substack. It has arrived. And amazingly, the trigger for it was my criticism of the work of a front-page New York Times reporter which, as I wrote yesterday, is — like all criticisms of journalists in Good Standing and Decent Liberal Society — being recast as “abuse” and “harassment” and “violence” in order to justify the banning and outlawing of that criticism.

A long-time tech reporter at BuzzFeed who was fired by that outlet in June for serial plagiarism, Ryan Broderick, wrote an article on Wednesday night warning that Substack is now dangerously providing a platform to a “cadre of writers” which, in addition to me, includes such societal menaces as “Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan, Jesse Singal, and, I’d argue, Slate Star Codex writer Scott Alexander Siskind.” He darkly notes: “There are more.” This group of writers, he says, is “focusing on culture war Twitter drama about being ‘canceled’ and trans people in bathrooms and woke college students.”

Broderick detailed how he had carefully reviewed a prior article of mine, one that examined the emergence of “tattletale culture” in the country’s largest corporate media outlets, to determine — like the good little diligent junior-high hall monitor that he is — whether it ran afoul of Substack’s terms of service rules against “doxing” and “harassment.”

Ouch. Jesus Broderick go punch yourself in the face a few times. You suck!

• jbear

Participant

That article of mine was devoted to a critique of the prevailing journalistic practices at the most powerful and influential media corporations on the planet: The New York Times, CNN, and NBC News. But to Broderick, whether that article should be banned on the grounds of harassment is a close call. While reluctantly conceding that I did not “dox” anyone, he called the article “a vicious screed” and said that the danger signs from my critiques of corporate journalists are clear: “online harassment is a constantly evolving process of boundary testing.” He lamented that Substack’s terms of service are too permissive (“One thing that worried me was how simplistic their definition of harassment was”) and insisted that Substack is soon going to have to step in and put a stop to this:

Right now most of the abuse being carried out by this group is confined to Twitter, but it stands to reason that it will eventually spill over to Substack. And dealing with people like Greenwald is going to be much harder to moderate than your average troll.

[Please permit me to pause here just a moment and marvel at the towering irony that a journalist who spent years at BuzzFeed doing absolutely nothing of value and then got fired for serial plagiarism (again: he got fired for ethical breaches by BuzzFeed) is now, with a straight face, holding himself out as the Guardian and Defender of Real Journalism. Even more amazingly, he believes he is fulfilling that role by demanding that I — not a journalist but just a “troll” who is the enemy of Real Journalism despite having more impactful scoops and journalism awards and, as I detailed yesterday, resulting persecution campaigns from governments than all of these petulant fragile babies combined — be silenced in the name of saving journalism and protecting real reporters like him and his friends from harassment].

Kapow! Jesus Broderick, you’re taking this a little too far…. nobody wants to be grossed out…. thats more than enough blood. Just take a walk over towards that bridge.

• jbear

Participant

I wonder how long we really have left on this dusty, cobweb laden mouse hole of the internet to anonymously say what we actually think? Any idea Fire? How long will your masters allow me to have an opinion? A few weeks or are we talking hours?

• KarmaPolice

Participant

“left on this dusty, cobweb laden mouse hole of the internet to anonymously say what we actually think?”

I think this message board is already limited to “one coherent thread”

“They” are coming for us

Vote Trump in 2024

even if youre a Libertarian . . and dont real support him . . because . . um . . “cancel culture, BITCHES!”

• jbear

Participant

Nobody invited you Alice. Why don’t you just linger in one of the 100 threads you’ve started in the last week. Troll someone else.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Are you trying to censor him?

Just using your logic here

• KarmaPolice

Participant

Of course he is

JBear is the alt right leopard denying his spots. He literally cannot post without actually undercutting his fake posts. Lol.

“Free speech!”

Followed by “Shut up, Alice”

Lol

• jbear

Participant

I’m just asking him to kindly troll somewhere else.

• jbear

Participant

BTW Fire…. are you actually saying that Alice is trying, in good faith to participate in this conversation? If I didn’t know that you know better I’d say that was hilarious. You know better. You might still get down off your horse to participate in a conversation but Alice trolls others because he thinks it’s cute.

I’m beginning to think you look the other way because he so often agrees with you. But you’re above that right?

• jbear

Participant

In the last three weeks alone, my name has trended three times on Twitter because a bunch of journalists and other activists were sufficiently angry with views I expressed that they united and maligned me enough to make Twitter’s algorithms put my name on the trending list. And that is completely fine. I know that I have sought out a public platform. I know I do reporting and express views and analysis that makes others angry and generates intense disagreement. The result is that many journalists use their social media platforms and columns to attack me — and that’s how it should be. It would never occur to me to crawl to authorities and beg them to be silenced so that I am protected from the bile and threats that I receive as a result (the most I do is write things like this to mock their censorious mindset and satirically apply their own warped standards to them; but because this kind of outlandish whining is so common in their world — indeed, it is honored — they cannot even recognize it as satire).

And that’s to say nothing of the actual recriminations, state-sponsored attacks, and credible threats of violence that have been and still are directed at me and my family by actually repressive governments and their followers for the reporting I have done. That’s one reason I have nothing but contempt for the pathetic efforts of these influential journalists to cast themselves as victims of harassment campaigns — by which they mean being criticized — when I and so many other real journalists have endured and continue to endure retaliation greater than what their coddled, fragile brains could even ponder let alone have to endure.

Jesus Fire you’re next…. How can you be a liberal? These people are terrible people can’t you see that? Don’t be a drop of water in the wave Fire…. be your own person. Do you really want your children to be just a drop of water in the wave? How morose. Your own children?

I’m not sure if this is getting off track

• jbear

Participant

How long before I’m silenced. Isn’t this hurting somebody’s feelings? I know Alice doesn’t mind censorship in the name of progress but you Fire? Don’t you think it’s your responsibility as a walking, talking, fully functioning human being to grow some skin?

Should I be silenced for getting on your nerves? I still have hope for you…. but mostly because I have such sympathy for the children.

• jbear

Participant

I’m such a bully.

I’m just going to have to get through my head that my opinions are offensive and get in back in line for my liberal mandated labotomy. Fire says it’s not that bad.

• KarmaPolice

Participant

what if you want to vote for actual free speech?

• jbear

Participant

What a pile of bullshit. Forcing people to vote is not free speech dickhead! Now you saying and thinking retarded shit is free speech but I wonder why you can’t say all this stupid shit in one of the hundred threads you’ve recently started where you are having a never ending circle jerk with several of you alts.

Want to answer that one question buddy?

• KarmaPolice

Participant

@Jbear – “I’m such a bully.”

you misspelled hypocrite.

• jbear

Participant

Thanks again for contributing your usual to the conversation. take a hike.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

That’s why I’m glad I voted Jorgensen.

I can sit back with an ice cold beer and a middle finger to the 150 million other dopes who contributed to this shit show.

• jbear

Participant

It’s a step in the right direction DH. And fair enough…. enjoy the beer.

• jbear

Participant

Second, the way Broderick lies about my work — “focusing on culture war Twitter drama about being ‘canceled’ and trans people in bathrooms and woke college students” — is worthy of a quick response. That is because journalistic lies should always be refuted (which is why people write about Taylor Lorenz and others like her) but also because it reveals what they think “journalism” is and is not.

Any even casual reader of mine knows that I have rarely if ever even mentioned let alone focused on “trans people in bathrooms” or “woke college students” in the reporting and analysis I do here. Here are the last four articles I wrote prior to yesterday’s:

Again, these are not four aberrational articles I cherry-picked to make a point. They just happen to be the last four articles I wrote here. I could have chosen — in the four months I’ve been writing here — my reporting on efforts in Congress and security state agencies to institute a new Domestic War on Terror, an interview with a French Muslim civil liberties activist warning of French President Marcon’s increasing repression, the ongoing militarization of the American capital, the abuse of tech monopoly power and political influence to destroy a new social media platform, the case for pardoning NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, the threats to press freedom posed by Julian Assange’s prosecution, growing U.S./Russia tensions, the dangers of military rather than civilian control over the Pentagon, the noble challenge posed to hedge funds by GameStop Redditors, how and why the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan is being blocked, systemic flaws in the U.S. vote-counting process, and on and on and on. And that’s to say nothing of the years of reporting and investigation I have been doing and still am doing on the various abuses of the industrial agriculture and factory farm industry.

Does my actual work bear any remote resemblance to the way The Serial Plagiarist characterized what I do? Of course not. So many of these journalists are completely unmoored from any ethical constraints or obligations of truth. When they are writing about the enemies of their media clique, they feel completely free to outright lie about people in order to malign them (in between demanding censorship of those they claim spread “disinformation”).

This guy is such a Trumper. Everybody knows that Trump is the champion of Free speech and individial liberty….. right? no? oh jeees.

• KarmaPolice

Participant

“Nobody invited you Alice.”

All speech if free, but some is freer than others!

lmao

you’re you own worst detractor, @JBear

Trying to “cancel” Alice in a thread about free speech.

• jbear

Participant

All I’m saying is that I started this one thread…… You’ve got hundreds. Why do you feel the need to pretend to participate in this one thread?

And then to top it off….. after all the effort I put in to being on point in this one thread and you pretend you don’t understand. Where is DC when you actually want him? I know what the threads about because I started it…. unlike you I start threads to bring interesting topics to the attention of everyone. I consider it a public service. And I do like to get into it. Do you find it at all interesting that I’m being a mean bully and daring you to censor me in a thread about just that? It’s gotten to the point that free speech is being threatened and half the country thinks it’s justice. That’s kindof a big deal.

But nobody said it better than the man himself in this very thread:

The great, very homosexual, little white guy who married his pool boy…. Glen Greenwald – AKA Trupiest Trumper ever!

“the most I do is write things like this to mock their censorious mindset and satirically apply their own warped standards to them; but because this kind of outlandish whining is so common in their world — indeed, it is honored — they cannot even recognize it as satire).”

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Jbear back and on full tilt.

Make sure you like all of Chron’s posts while you’re here!

• KarmaPolice

Participant

One Truth looking more sane and certainly braver they JBear

“ unlike you I start threads to bring interesting topics to the attention of everyone. I consider it a public service. And I do like to get into it. Do you find it at all interesting that I’m being a mean bully and daring you to censor me in a thread about just that? It’s gotten to the point that free speech is being threatened and half the country thinks it’s justice. That’s kindof a big deal.”

Bwahaha

You could’ve just said “yeah I know it’s hypocritical, just being an ass”

• Roy

Participant

All this is about a media outlet that doesn’t want to print somebody’s articles. That’s not censorship.
      I’d start in on what censorship is, but JBear knows what it is. He just chooses to avoid that. Here’s some more reading if you haven’t had enough already, because shockingly there are actually two sides to every story. The other side basically says that its just sour grapes. If you don’t like the organization you are working for, go find another one, which is what he did.

From the Intelligencer “Inside Glen Greenwald’s Blowup with the Intercept

Greenwald’s claim that The Intercept is in the tank for Biden baffled many of his now-former colleagues. “I don’t know of anyone on the editorial staff who really likes Biden,” Intercept national-security editor Vanessa Gezari told Intelligencer. Said another Intercept writer who requested anonymity, “If you look at the way lots of people on the site have written about Biden, the way [Greenwald] described the site and its vehement support of Biden is nonsense.”

And in a searing statement, Intercept editor-in-chief Betsy Reed mocked “the preposterous charge that The Intercept’s editors and reporters, with the lone, noble exception of Glenn Greenwald, have betrayed our mission to engage in fearless investigative journalism because we have been seduced by the lure of a Joe Biden presidency.” The Intercept is well known for its hostility to the Democratic Establishment in general and Biden in particular. Toward the end of the Democratic primary, The Intercept published numerous pieces about allegations of sexual harassment against Biden.

While Greenwald’s sudden resignation shocked both his colleagues and the broader world of media, his eventual break with The Intercept was all but inevitable. Greenwald, who did not respond to requests for comment, had already begun to plan his post-Intercept career. According to his Substack post, he has spent months in preliminary talks with other journalists and potential financial backers about starting a new media outlet. “I’m frankly surprised that he lasted as long as he did, because he’s clearly not a team player,” Intercept deputy editor Roger Hodge told Intelligencer. “He’s not somebody who can submerge himself in an organization and be part of a larger whole.”

• FireLicht2020

Participant

All you do jbear, is post Greenwald.

I follow Greenwald on Twitter so I know what you’re gonna say before you say it.

And you have the nerve to call a lemming.

Specific to your question on censorship… I do worry somewhat that this will be used as an excuse to censor people I the name of [terrorism].

But what you’re experiencing is tyranny of the present…

If something is this way, it will always be…

Alt-right loons aren’t being censored by the government, and until they are I believe this is a non-issue.

If you don’t like the overt power that social media has over us, perhaps you’d advocate for some government regulation and/or break them up?

I can’t tell if your free market idealism is a thing anymore…

• KarmaPolice

Participant

Its as if they were peaking in

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Again a libertarian SHOULD say that a private company can do what they want. Free market.

I’d they deem that Trump is a liability to their business they kock him out… just like a drunk at a bar.

Can’t have it both ways

• KarmaPolice

Participant

“Again a libertarian SHOULD say that a private company can do what they want. Free market.’

That is true and why I have said that JBear repeatedly outs himself as a conservative not Libertarian.

In the 1980s (I think) Hasbro did away with Potato Head’s pipe. Presumably to do precisely what they are doing now: make their product appeal to as WIDE an audience as possible

the difference: the GOP and FauxNews peddling outrage

Dr. Suess Enterprises (his estate that looks after the product) takes the opportunity to remove 6 books from a library in excess of 40 (I think), presumably to do the same as Hasbro: appeal to as WIDE an audience as possible. Turns out 2021 America is more DIVERSE than 1920 America

why the outrage?

GOP and Faux news SELLS it

there is a thread here laying out the strategy

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.