Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 8 reply threads

• Author

• Trask Force

Participant

WR Deven Thompkins, Utah State (PFF Big Board Rank: 250)
      WR Kaylon Geiger, Texas Tech (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      LB Olakunie Fatukasi, Rutgers (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      CB Kyler McMichael, North Carolina (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      S Nolan Turner, Clemson (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      OT Dylan Cook, Montana (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      WR Jereth Sterns, Western Kentucky (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      LB JJ Russell, Memphis (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      CB Don Gardner, South Dakota State (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      LB Jordan Young, Old Dominion (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      OL Curtis Blackwell, Ball State (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      LB Joe “JoJo” Ozougwu, Arkansas State (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      TE Ben Beise, River Falls (PFF Big Board Rank: N/A)
      et
      It’s going to be tough for any of the UDFAs when there will surely be more veteran FAs coming in to compete with them. For example, we already drafted two rookie TEs. What chance does Beise have?

I’m trying to find one guy who might have a chance. Why not Dylan Cook, OT Montana? Saw his pro day interview on Youtube. He lacks major college experience and he looks like he needs to hit the weight room. He could spend some time on the practice squad and get the call as injuries happen during the year, or maybe he won’t really be ready until next year. But he seems like a guy who could eventually turn into something.

• buccaneerNW

Participant

One of the 2 CBs may have a shot as the last CB on the roster.

One of those shrimpy receivers may have a shot if they show they can return punts or kickoffs and develop a rapport with Brady.

The safety Nolan Turner has some good measurables and had a draftable grade on NFL.com. Ran a 4.37.

The TE Beise may have a shot as a 4th TE. Small school, looks pretty athletic and has good size, appears to be able to catch the ball… Might be a nice developmental TE. If Gronk is back and the other guys ahead of him are healthy, the numbers are against him… If Gronk stays gone, he could compete with McElroy for the 4th TE.

I could see 4-5 of these guys as practice squad candidates, and maybe 1 or 2 actually make the team.

• Pennywise

Participant

Gronk
      Otten
      Brate
      Kief

Will be the 4 TEs

• The Freeman

Participant

Davis, Dean, SMB and McCollum are locked… but Cockrell’s versality will be hard to beat for the 5th spot, he’s the perfect backup with his experience on the team at CB, S and on ST (247 snaps and 9 tackles last year), + Logan Ryan can play nickelback so keeping a 6th CB seems unlikely.
      McMichael and Gardner really need to perform on ST to make the roster, same for the rest of the udfa’s group.

between the 53-roster and practice squad, they keep 5 TEs… last year Gronk, Brate and Howard were on the 53-roster and McElroy + Yelder then Fells on the ps… in 2020, it was 4 TEs on the roster with Gronk, Brate, Howard (on IR after week 4) and Auclair (on IR 6 weeks after the 1st game) + Hudson on the ps to begin the season (on the 53-roster after Auclair’s injury), then Helm for a week (signed off the ps by the niners) and McElroy the rest of the season for the 5th spot.
      this year should be similar to 2020 with 4 TEs (Gronk, Brate, Otton and Kieft) on the 53-roster and a 5th (McElroy, Beise or ?) on the ps.

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Ryan can play safety and boundary CB if needed too.

So the fringe players at safety and CB don’t have much of a shot of sticking IMO.

Build the trenches!

• Swash

Participant

After last season, how in the world could you think keeping a 6th CB is “unlikely”.. I think you mean “probable”. 6 WR’s and 6 CB’s in todays NFL. This isn’t 2010

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

CB: Dean, Davis, McCollum, Cockrell, Delaney, SMB

S: Ryan, Winfield, Edwards, Neal.

I have the Bucs keeping six CBs and four safeties.

Like I said above Ryan can play nickel and boundary CB. Cockrell can play boundary CB and also safety if needed too. Edwards can play nickel and SMB can play either nickel or boundary CB. Even Winfield can play nickel if needed.

Only shot for a CB to make the roster is at boundary CB. But I think Delaney and McCollum have the inside track so the fringe UDFAs don’t have a shot and are PS at best unless there is an injury.

And if the Bucs choose to keep a fifth safety it will be Cooper over one of the new UDFAs IMO.

Build the trenches!

• The Freeman

Participant

i’m curious to know your projection of the 53-roster with 10 DBs?
      do you cut Kieft, Scotty or Perriman for Delaney? keep 9, 10 or 11 WR/TE? only 4 OLBs? 4 ILBs? 8 or 9 OL?

with Logan Ryan you already have 6 CBs, unless you have a gem in the udfa’s group i’ll be disappointed to see another CB in the final roster… Cockrell and Ryan’s ability to play S and CB gives you the option to keep 9 DBs.
      a hole on ST (gunner/vise) will be the only reason to keep more DBs! (+ you can still elevate your ST player from the ps if needed)

still too early but there is only 47-48 active players on game day, and the last spots on the roster are decided on ST value (returner, gunner, vice…)!
      on punt units, we have enough good option in the trenches with our DL/LB/TE depth (O’Connor, Nelson, Gill, Stuard, Britt, Kieft, Otton) to protect/rush the punter despite the loss of Minter, Gio is a proven personal protector, i’m not sure half of the 4 other spots are open: Cockrell had the best season of his career on ST last year, Dean is a solid gunner, McCollum will be in play too, Scotty showed some potential in that gunner role last year…
      if Neal, Ryan or SMB is in the competition at vise, your 6th CB isn’t needed… the door should be closed for another CB if he’s destined to the inactive list!
      unless you need a gunner/vise or the CB shines in pre-season, it makes no sense to cut Scotty, Kieft, Perriman, Grayson, Leverett or Fred Johnson to save Delaney or McMichael… more chances to have the CB’s back on the ps!

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Bucs could definitely get by with 9 DBs total but with the injury history of Dean and SMB I think they lean on keeping Delaney if he does well in training camp and pre season assuming the team is comfortable with the depth at WR.

There is indeed an option to just keep extra CBs on the PS if they feel they need to protect a WR for the active roster like Perriman/Miller until Godwin returns.

So really what is happening is that the Bucs must balance depth concerns at both positions of WR and DBs. We shall see what they choose to do.

Build the trenches!

• Swash

Participant

Last season we had at minimum 6 WR’s and 10 DB’s all season.. at times there were more.

I can’t imagine the Bucs starting the season with any less than that.

• The Freeman

Participant

we had 2 games with 8 DBs on the 53-roster, 8 with 9 DBs, 6 with 10 DBs and 2 with 12 DBs!

they only keep more than 9 DBs when there is injuries, new guys still learning the playbook or not in football shape…
        most of the time they keep 12 DBs (6 CBs + 6 S) between the roster (9) and practice squad (3).
        when all the DBs were healthy, the 6th DB on the field was Mike Edwards not the 4th CB, they keep more than 4 CBs only for ST duties (gunner/jammer)!
        with Bowles the 7th DB play on defense only if there is an injury, they keep a 4th S and/or a 5th CB for ST value!
        imo McCollum’s ability on ST and Ryan’s versatility close the door to 10 DBs… unless there is a special talent in this year udfa’s group!

they like to keep 9 WRs between the roster (6) and practice squad (3), 15 games with 5 WRs active on game day (including the returner)!
        they like to keep 5 TEs between the roster and practice squad, last year it was 3 on the roster and 2 on practice squad, the year before it was 4 on the roster and 1 on ps, so with 2 rookie at the position this year, we should see 4 TEs on the 53-roster this year!

• Alldaway 2.0

Participant

Don’t forget that K. Neal can play LB and S so that saves a roster spot. So yeah right now the Bucs have options with how many DBs they want to keep.

If the new UDFA S Nolan Turner shows upside the Bucs may be tempted to keep him or even choose Turner over Cooper.

But the fact that the Bucs didn’t want to bring back Adams tells me the team is content with Ryan, Neal, Edwards and Winfield while Cooper and Turner battle it out.

Build the trenches!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.