Ultimate Manning-Favre-Winston Comparison

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

The era isn’t different. What a complete fallacious bunch of horseshit.

Except that it is, dipshit.

Backed by stats, facts, etc.

You, on the other hand, have nothing to back your side of the argument.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GottaJaboo
    Blocked

@Donkey. Yeah, backed by stats. The ones that indicate it was easier to pitch and catch 20 years ago. Most teams with Winston level success through the air, had a running game, with names like Marshall Faulk, and Edgerin James, it’s weird…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M - "coaching can’t fix this".

DonkeyHunter
    Participant

Yeah, backed by stats. The ones that indicate it was easier to pitch and catch 20 years ago. Most teams with Winston level success through the air, had a running game, with names like Marshall Faulk, and Edgerin James, it’s weird…

Stop ducking.

Provide proof/stats, that the NFL and how it relates to offenses (i.e. rules, etc.), was the same in the 90’s as it is today.

Come on. Should be easy.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

Manning’s first 5 years:

‘98 – 20 rushers with over 1K yards (1 with 2K)

‘99 – 14

‘00 – 23

’01 – 15

’02 – 17

Winston’s first 5 years:

’15 – 7 rushers with over 1K yards

’16 – 12

’17 – 9

’18 – 9

’19 – 9 (season not over)

Manning’s first 5 years:

’98 – 2 passers with over 4K yards

’99 – 5

’00 – 3

’01 – 2

’02 – 4

Winston’s first 5 years:

’15 – 12 passers with over 4K yards

’16 – 13 (1 with over 5K yards)

’17 – 8

’18 – 12 (2 with over 5K yards)

’19 – 2 (season not over yet

Manning’s first 5 years (League Averages):

Avg. TD percentage – 3.32%

Avg. INT percentage – 3.94%

Winston’s first 5 years (League Averages):

Avg. TD percentage – 4.48%

Avg. INT percentage – 2.38%

Yeah, the league is exactly the same now as it was then.

Derp…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

Derp derp derp

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

Derp derp derp

Exactly.

I mean look at those numbers. Identical!

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    BucBalla85
    Participant

The comparisons are dumb but I do agree that Winston has been on some shit teams here and doesnt help the overall evaluation of him. People dont need to say that he is like Manning or Favre to convince people that we should keep Winston. You arent going to find too many who agree with you. Now if we said he is enigmatic but he has been on some crap teams and if we can improve the rest of the team, then maybe we have something. Nope we have to act like he is the second coming of Favre or Manning to try to sell people on him. Unnecessary and just isnt true. If he truly was a good comparison to Favre or Manning, we wouldnt be having a conversation about whether or not we should re-sign him or now.

Even when Favre or Manning threw ints you knew they were still really good QBs. I cant say the same for Winston but that doesnt mean he has to be Favre or Manning to have a good career here. Its honestly ok that he isnt that kind of guy either. What people/I want out of Winston is to win games. I think most realize that isnt completely on him but he does have the ball the most and when he is turning the ball over he isnt helping the team win just as much as the poor run game and poor D help the team win games.

What are people going to say if we have a good D and run game but Winston throws/has a turnover at a critical point in the game?? This is honestly something that will happen going forward with a player like him. One thing we can almost for sure bet on, is that he will turn the ball over. One thing we cant bet on is him not turning the ball over because hes done it so much in his career. So the skepticism should be there for Winston. I think there is reason to be happier with him and the team going forward but I cant say hes convinced anybody of anything. Same with the team. Lets see them do this when it matters next year before claiming anybody on this team needs new deals…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    tog
    Participant

What are people going to say if we have a good D and run game but Winston throws/has a turnover at a critical point in the game??

Good post.

To this point specifically, they’ll ignore that factor and find something else.

The Bucs have had a better defense this season than offense via DVOA. Currently the offense is 21st and the defense 9th. The defense has outperformed the offense the entire season – yet the narrative was the defense was holding the offense back yet the opposite was true.

As well, the Bucs had average-to-good defenses Winston’s first 2 years (this is often forgotten). For example, in 2015 the Bucs D was 18th in DVOA and in 2016 it was 13th. And again, so far this season its 9th.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant

Just my opinion, but wouldn’t a Winston / Luck comparison be fair?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Greattimes
    Participant

Just my opinion, but wouldn’t a Winston / Luck comparison be fair?

Depends on if you are a Winston supporter or a Winston critic.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    DonkeyHunter
    Participant
    Depends on if you are a Winston supporter or a Winston critic.

Lol. Good point.

Shame that both those categories refuse to allow for anything in between.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GottaJaboo
    Blocked

The entire defensive talent in the secondary is way better now than it was 20 years ago. Some of the best athletes in the game, play DB/Safety now. Lolz at any fan, not enjoying winning, no matter what it looks like and poo pooing a QB with the eye popping stats that Winston has.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

GoldsonAges on 2nd round pick, Safety, Justin Evans, out of Texas A&M - "coaching can’t fix this".

DonkeyHunter
    Participant

The entire defensive talent in the secondary is way better now than it was 20 years ago. Some of the best athletes in the game, play DB/Safety now.

You can say the exact same thing about WR’s, TE’s and QB’s.

Again, you’ve yet to give any statistical data or facts to back your assertion.

And, we know why.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    GottaJaboo
    Blocked

The only stats that matter are, that Winston is first or second in every major category in the league and has put us in position with those stats, to be in the playoff hunt, if we have a top 22 defense.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

DonkeyHunter
    Participant

The only stats that matter are, that Winston is first or second in every major category in the league and has put us in position with those stats, to be in the playoff hunt.

You’re right.

Unfortunately, his wide margin leading turnovers helped take us right out of it.

Sucks…

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.