Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 29 reply threads

• Author

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Reported Aug 4, 2021, Calif

While charging their Tesla Model S while they slept,

it caught fire, ignited a 2nd Tesla,

and set their home on fire.

The engineer and his wife were fortunate
      to escape the blaze. He said if they had slept
      on the 2nd floor, they would not have been able to get out.

Surely this defect will be corrected in time.

But when looking on the internet,

there are unexpected EV fires

all over the world.

Remain intimately at the heart of experience.

• BucsBits

Participant

You will not care but you should as a Trumper

The primary article discussing this issue is from WaPo. You can find it by Googling the Headline

“ While they were asleep, their Teslas burned in the garage. It’s a risk many automakers are taking seriously.”

If you read the article carefully it’s is the quintessential- quintessential- example of the media doing what you guys detest so much, spinning a sensationalist story.

It’s actually a great example why people on your side of the universe refer to an outlet like WaPo as “fake news.” In fact, the article is such a classic example of “burying the lede” that it will probably be an example in future journalism classes, it’s that bad.

You can see it for yourself if you just read the article with an understanding that the editors want the controversy. Controversy sells. If you read the article, count the paragraphs before you get to the lede, the most important aspect of the story that should be in the FIRST SENTENCE

It’s way back in the story because once you read it you’d understand that EVs do not present a unique fire risk … which would destroy the drama, the premise which is that EVs may be scary (ie contruversy)

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

On another note. VW has sold more EVs in Europe than Tesla,

They seem to be committed to becoming total EV production.

They will be competition for start-up EV companies.

• BucsBits

Participant

This is the lede that destroys the whole story. You can see it because the author mentions the flaw but then quickly switches to a new “problem”

“ Tesla in the past has argued that its cars are a tenth as likely to catch fire as gas-powered vehicles, drawing on data from the National Fire Protection Association and U.S. Federal Highway Administration.

Still, safety experts note that the fires can burn more intensely and last much longer.”

The author goes “still, safety experts note…” because the editors checked Tesla’s claim and it’s true.

This article is what happens when a reporter does the research snd the desired premise falls flat

What Trumpers call “fake news”

• jbear

Participant

What Trumpers call “fake news”

Wait…..how does this get to Trump so fast? And while talking about burying the lead.

It’s like a magic trick….. and the headline is this and two paragraphs later they haven’t gotten there and then bang Trumpers are dumb! Classic Verge.

• BucsBits

Participant

burying the lead

Lol

• BucsBits

Participant

@JBear

Burying the LEDE is exactly what happens in that article.

I said IB wouldn’t care – bedsheets he’s so angry lol – but man it is hilarious because the article is legit “fake news.”

It’s selling a bogus premise but burying the lede

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Not worried…

EVs are the future. The old guard can compete. Good for them.

But they’ll be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I do like a couple of them to compete well, VW being one of them. Germans get it done

• jbear

Participant

Not worried…

EVs are the future. The old guard can compete. Good for them.

But they’ll be a jack of all trades, master of none.

I do like a couple of them to compete well, VW being one of them. Germans get it done

Thank goodness you’re here so I don’t have to agree with BB.

Without even reading the article, I think those battery issues have been around for quite some time and they’ve been working on fixing them but just like a cellphone battery can overheat and catch fire, so too can the EV batteries. That said, I bet the statistics are not worse than ICE cars catching fire…. as that other guy said.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

The bottom line is fear sells in the media.

It sells (literally) in the market too.

Know what you own and relax.

• BucsBits

Participant

You’d have to understand what I wrote to disagree, so let me take it to 3rd grade level. This should be the actual headline of the article if you understand that a “lede” is not a “lead” lol

Here’s the actual title:

“EV fire risk LOWER than gasoline driven cars”

That’s the only point I was making. Just found it interesting because of the intersection of the topics EV ands “fake news”

you wouldn’t read much further with my title though

So, maybe the “fake news” crises were fake because this is exactly the type of article that you should point to

• jbear

Participant

You’d have to understand what I wrote to disagree, so let me take it to 3rd grade level. This should be the actual headline of the article if you understand that a “lede” is not a “lead” lol

Here’s the actual title:

That’s the only point I was making. Just found it interesting because of the intersection of the topics EV ands “fake news”

So, maybe the “fake news” crises were fake because this is exactly the type of article that you should point to

You know it might help if posters could post a link so we could actually see the article. Also wow… big win. You really got me there ouch.

• BucsBits

Participant

Here’s the actual title:

You know it might help if posters could post a link so we could actually see the article. Also wow… big win. You really got me there ouch.

I don’t care about getting you. It was a joke

I posted the article title do you could Google. You didn’t. Because lazy AF troll 😁

• jbear

Participant

I posted the article title do you could Google. You didn’t. Because lazy AF troll 😁

Wow that’s ironic.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

I venture no one on this board has the amount invested in Tesla as I do.
      So fires in Tesla Car are a worrisome thing for me. I expect it to affect the stock
      but often the stock rises on the day a fire is reported.

While it is true that there are more fires in gas powered cars. It is the location
      and type of fire in EVs that I find troubling.

I would think it would be natural to come home, hook the EV to your home charger
      and go to bed. I don’t think there is a gas powered car fire that is equivalent
      to your EV catching fire at night in your garage while you sleep.

That’s a risk I am not willing to take at this time.

One of the EV makers advised parking their car outside overnight.

I am certain that this problem will get resolved,

but until I am certain that it is no longer a problem,

no EV for me.

• BucsBits

Participant

Wow that’s ironic.

but true

You did your usual. Just posted a troll never actually reading

• FireLicht2020

Participant

So IB, you’re selling out of Tesla and Lucid?

Not the worst idea simply based on the gains alone…

But I don’t share your sentiment/reasoning

• BucsBits

Participant

Own the stock and cars. Not selling either. Between the two, more worried about stock going up in flames lol

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Fire:

There is a considerable difference between owing a rising stock
      and buying the product.

Tesla has done better than the market recently—not ready to sell.

If I had a fire in my garage, it would be hard to get to an exit downstairs.

It might mean jumping from the 2nd floor.

It is just not worth the experience of an electric vehicle
      for me to take the risk.

Its an individual decision and I am not trying to influence anyone else.

I raised the question to see what others think about the fire risk.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Fire:

I’m guessing your reservation is for the Ocean Sport.

For $12,500 more you can buy the Ocean Ultra.

If I was considering an EV, I would look into the Ultra, the specs are intriguing

What say you??

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

So fires in Tesla Car are a worrisome thing for me. I expect it to affect the stock
      but often the stock rises on the day a fire is reported.

Why is that?

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Donkey:

I’m damn if I really know.

The obvious answer is that the fire is a headwind,

but the growth prospects of the company are stronger and overcome a fire.

I see news of a fire—I imagine that the stock is down,

but mostly the market just shrugs and the stock goes up.

Maybe the thinking is fire looks bad today, but it will
      not be a long term issue, because spontaneous fires will be
      solved and then they will almost be no more.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

That’s my thought as well, hence, me asking (especially since this is your area of expertise).

not be a long term issue,

I would think there would be a good number anticipating buying a potential dip.

Clearly, I have much to learn. Lol.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

IB:

It’s a tough decision… I may lease if I can’t make up my mind.

The tax incentive on the sports is so attractive but I need the 4WD.

Battery range of course and other perks… I’m leaning toward Ultra.

I’m not gonna get mine until 2023 so the reviews between now and then will likely help me make my decision.

I really wish the solar power roof was on the Ultra.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Donk:

You’re doing fine.

Over half the battle is just the desire to learn more.

There are so many ways to make money in the market,

and if you start small—because in the beginning you know the least and are
      most subject to losses,

over time you will find a method that corresponds to your level of risk toleration.

• ISLAND BUCS

Participant

Fire:

I think the ultra is good choice. good value for what you get. 2 motors.

The all wheel drive adds stability and you are going to have 0 to 60 in about 3.6 seconds.

We are all going to see if this is really true, and that 4 wheel is just safer.

I got my son to get a BMW and the one thing he would change is that he wished
      he would have gotten 4 wheel drive, it just a superior grip of the road.

I love fast so he drives extra fast when I am with him. 100 on the interstate
      and not so much as a shimmer out of the BMW.

Because I put the car in the garage, the solar sun roof is not an attraction
      for me. The little extra energy you get can be obtained by just plugging into the charger.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

That’s a good point about the solar roof. Was thinking more along the lines of road trips… especially to Eastern Oregon, Cali, Idaho, Montana… where lots of sunshine. Really extends the life

• BucsBits

Participant

That’s my thought as well, hence, me asking (especially since this is your area of expertise).

not be a long term issue,

I would think there would be a good number anticipating buying a potential dip.

Clearly, I have much to learn. Lol.

The news of the fire posted here is dated. The market price of Tesla already factors it in.

In fact, EV fires – as the story indicates – are not a new thing with several big car companies doing recalls so in the eyes of a securities analyst Tesla is buoyed by the problems of the big car come it’s (ie a better performer)

In another life, a profession. Anything in the news is already known by institutional investors who are covering sectors with people whose knowledge six often ahead of even market calls

• BucsBits

Participant

In reality the WaPo story likely originated from an expert report. They report is likely paid for by some industry competitor or association

That is why I mentioned the buried lede. The retained expert likely found that EV fires are rare compared to gas and so the story became “but when EVs do burn, they burn really hot”… a legitimate concern ESPECIALLY IN A CLOSED GARAGE WITH ANOTHER EV NEXT TO IT (batteries explode under enough heat)

• BucsBits

Participant

Zero disrespect intended to anyone on this topic, sincerely, but one of the reasons that day trading is fascinating to me AND crypto trading even more so, is that true market timing opportunities are a function of information. And there’s no way that a private person reading news can compete FOR INFORMATION with institutional investors who meet with CFO before market calls, know the suppliers etc

So, day trading is sort of like riding the waves created by the institutions. That’s why Fires early comment about rapid price appreciation and profit taking was very interesting. It’s a great point and probably a more reliable $ making perspective for a private person who wants to take very short positions (ie day traders). I had never considered that much until reading Fires comment

The Cove delivers!

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.