Viewing 16 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

UnRealistic Expectations: Don’t Expect Bucs to Dominate for Years Apr 19, 2014 12:25dungy_zps6ba7ecf0.jpgMost people in the business agree; Tampa Bay will turn things around with Lovie Smith as new Bucs head coach. His being part of the Tony Dungy tree and his experience in Chicago tells us that with that alone we can expect the Bucs to compete in every game next season and beyond. But during the hey day years under Dungy, the Bucs did more than just win. They were consistent winners; each year you went into the season not wondering if the team was going to make the playoffs, but how far they could get in the playoffs.Each year it seemed, the Bucs were stymied by a 3-4 start to their seasons for one reason or another. Other than the first year (96- 1-7) and the second (97- 5-2) the Bucs began their years with 3 wins and 4 losses without fail. Once in 2000 it began with a 3-0 start and a fall to 3-4, in 1998 it was the opposite with 1-3 start and a climb to 3-4. In any event, the Bucs would struggle to reach the playoffs and rarely make it with a solid record that would enable them to play at home throughout the playoffs. In fact after the ’97 season the Bucs played only 1 home playoff game out of the 4 played.Regardless though, you knew the Bucs would make or compete for the playoffs each year because of the dynamic core group of players on the roster. While some star players were only with the team for half of their run, like Hardy Nickerson or Simeon Rice, both Free Agent pick ups, a majority of stars for the Bucs were drafted by the Bucs. John Lynch (93), Warren Sapp & Derrick Brooks (95), Mike Alstott (96), and Ronde Barber (97) were picked by the team and raised into NFL infancy by the team.Today’s Bucs have only one player left over from the 2010 draft and before, a draft that only occurred 4 years ago. Those 2007-2010 players should be growing into stardom, becoming players in their prime. Instead the failures of the Bucs front office are the main reason why the Bucs had to go deep into free agency to pick up talent instead.So while the Bucs may and probably will win under Lovie Smith soon, they will not be dominant like the old Bucs were until the 2012 and up crop of Bucs players will come into their own and develop the core group here. You may see 9-7 and even 10-6 seasons for a few years, but don’t expect any 11-5 or 12-4 campaigns, those are reserved for dominant teams, which the Bucs will have to wait to become one.http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/article_external/unrealistic_expectations_dont_expect_bucs_to_dominate_for_years/16259728?linksrc=story_team_tampa_bay_buccaneers_auto_module_head_16259728

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This article stinks. The writer doesn’t seem to account for Gerald McCoy blossoming into an NFL star or mention that Demar Dotson was a very solid UDFA pickup in 2009. Mason Foster was also a solid draft choice for us in 2011, but he was, for some reason, left out of the conversation. Doug Martin and Lavonte David may have been drafted in 2012, but they have already experienced NFL stardom and this article seems to overlook that obvious fact, as if it validates the idea that we won’t be good for years. I think the only player that we’re really waiting on to develop from the 2012 draft class is Mark Barron, who is going into his third year in the NFL (when most DBs come into their own). So that's 6 key starters who were picked by this team and raised "into NFL infancy" by the Bucs........ So in that aspect I would say that we are actually MORE like that 1997-1999 Bucs squad than not. But as far as winning goes, thats a whole other story that has yet to unfold.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Title describes every football fan ever.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFCS  is a very different environment from the the old black and blue division. The Saints and fowlgoons are noted for their offenses, but the division has a reputation for teams going from worst to first. No team has dominated on a consistent basis year after year. I expect the Bucs will be competitive and at least go 3-3 in the division. 10-6 may be lofty, but I don’t consider it unrealistic. With the upgrades in coaching, schemes, and personnel, I’m confident  Glennon could produce 8 wins. Josh should be able to generate a couple more than that with his experience. The core strength of the team is definitely the defense right now, and they’re not done there yet, but the priority right now has to be receivers and OL, NOT QB. A rookie QB won’t add to the win column any time soon. We need weapons and protection much more than a clipboard carrier.There's no consensus #1 QB in this draft, and who can forget the walking disaster that was Ryan Leaf? Consider how ridiculous it would have been if Tom Brady had gone in the 6th round of the same draft. So much for "expert" opinions. Draft players in the early rounds who at least have a shot at starting this year. Take a chance on a promising small school QB in the later rounds if you still feel the need, but If Schiano can get 19 TDs out of Glennon on a sh!t team in a sh!t scheme, I'm confident Tedford can get much more. Unrealistic?.....maybe, but a competent coaching staff can make a world of difference. All we need now is receivers and a couple of solid Gs, as in guards, not gurus. We've got enough of those already. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The problem with all that Sparky is that you were saying the exact same things about Schiano, Sully, and Freeman 1 year ago. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft the right QB we can vault into contention but until that happens it will be tough sledding through this division.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Must agree…  And its going to take time to get it all together for the long haul.Although patience is in very shirt supply around here with the die hards. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we draft the right QB we can vault into contention but until that happens it will be tough sledding through this division.

This and you can't draft the right QB without taking a risk. I'm sick of drafting this later round guy hoping to strike gold. Draft a QB at #7 and hope it works out. The rookie salary cap allows that risk to be a bit easier now that you won't have 50 million invested in some bust if it turns out that way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but there’s no Peyton Manning in this draft so we should just wait.  Since Luck came out two years ago it should only be another 13 years  or so before the next once in a generation prospect comes along. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but there's no Peyton Manning in this draft so we should just wait.  Since Luck came out two years ago it should only be another 13 years  or so before the next once in a generation prospect comes along.

Tough thing is that everyone wants to wait but with Lovie does anyone think we will ever really bottom out? The idea that even if there was an Andrew Luck coming out every single year that he is ever gonna get past the top 1 or 2 picks.  So even if he is in the draft, he is not gonna be the guy we can pick. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree.  We don’t really need a HOF QB to contend but we do need at least a guy rated in the top 15.  Could a guy like Bortles develop into one of those?  I guess that’s the million dollar question but I don’t think its unrealistic. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Title describes every football fan ever.

LOLI try to keep it realistic at least. This season I am hoping for "competitive".  Maybe lose some close ones, but not get blown out. I will reserve the Super Bowl talk for future seasons.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFCS  is a very different environment from the the old black and blue division. The Saints and fowlgoons are noted for their offenses, but the division has a reputation for teams going from worst to first. No team has dominated on a consistent basis year after year. I expect the Bucs will be competitive and at least go 3-3 in the division. 10-6 may be lofty, but I don't consider it unrealistic. With the upgrades in coaching, schemes, and personnel, I'm confident  Glennon could produce 8 wins. Josh should be able to generate a couple more than that with his experience. The core strength of the team is definitely the defense right now, and they're not done there yet, but the priority right now has to be receivers and OL, NOT QB. A rookie QB won't add to the win column any time soon. We need weapons and protection much more than a clipboard carrier.There's no consensus #1 QB in this draft, and who can forget the walking disaster that was Ryan Leaf? Consider how ridiculous it would have been if Tom Brady had gone in the 6th round of the same draft. So much for "expert" opinions. Draft players in the early rounds who at least have a shot at starting this year. Take a chance on a promising small school QB in the later rounds if you still feel the need, but If Schiano can get 19 TDs out of Glennon on a sh!t team in a sh!t scheme, I'm confident Tedford can get much more. Unrealistic?.....maybe, but a competent coaching staff can make a world of difference. All we need now is receivers and a couple of solid Gs, as in guards, not gurus. We've got enough of those already.

Good post Sparky.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but there's no Peyton Manning in this draft so we should just wait.  Since Luck came out two years ago it should only be another 13 years  or so before the next once in a generation prospect comes along.

Not sure its wise to wait...  If we know anything Frazier/Smith will field a hell of a defense.  That will make us drafting in the late teens or early twenties more consistently.  Not going to be easy to draft a qb there...Makes sense to get one of these guys, IF he fits what Tedford  wants to do and develop him for a year or two. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The NFCS  is a very different environment from the the old black and blue division. The Saints and fowlgoons are noted for their offenses, but the division has a reputation for teams going from worst to first. No team has dominated on a consistent basis year after year. I expect the Bucs will be competitive and at least go 3-3 in the division. 10-6 may be lofty, but I don't consider it unrealistic. With the upgrades in coaching, schemes, and personnel, I'm confident  Glennon could produce 8 wins. Josh should be able to generate a couple more than that with his experience. The core strength of the team is definitely the defense right now, and they're not done there yet, but the priority right now has to be receivers and OL, NOT QB. A rookie QB won't add to the win column any time soon. We need weapons and protection much more than a clipboard carrier.There's no consensus #1 QB in this draft, and who can forget the walking disaster that was Ryan Leaf? Consider how ridiculous it would have been if Tom Brady had gone in the 6th round of the same draft. So much for "expert" opinions. Draft players in the early rounds who at least have a shot at starting this year. Take a chance on a promising small school QB in the later rounds if you still feel the need, but If Schiano can get 19 TDs out of Glennon on a sh!t team in a sh!t scheme, I'm confident Tedford can get much more. Unrealistic? ....maybe, but a competent coaching staff can make a world of difference. All we need now is receivers and a couple of solid Gs, as in guards, not gurus. We've got enough of those already.

I was with you up until the bolded part. We are not rolling with Glennon. He may not even make the team. Josh McCown has been named starter and we dont know what their board looks like. They might have a consensus no.1 QB inside OBP for all we know.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but there's no Peyton Manning in this draft so we should just wait. 

Is this what its become, Peyton or nothing?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can’t wait for YEARS to pass by waiting for this team to ascend that hill…I mean, hell, it is only years and years and years...

Please wait…

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.