Viewing 60 reply threads

• Author

• NYC Bucs Fan

Participant

Somebody didn’t like the Bucs draft…. (probably bc he’s been mocking a QB to Tampa for months, haha)Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C Grade Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers have made a ton of acquisitions this offseason, but they're still weak in a few areas. They have to find a No. 2 receiving option, upgrade at linebacker and guard, and someone to help Gerald McCoy rush the passer on the interior of the defensive line. They'll also consider a franchise quarterback at No. 7 overall if they can get either Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel. 2014 NFL Draft Accomplishments: Mike Evans is so much like Vincent Jackson that I accidentally tweeted out that Tampa Bay drafted Vincent Jackson No. 7 overall. He and Austin Seferian-Jenkins will provide Josh McCown with some rather large targets, a luxury that McCown enjoyed during his time with the Bears. Robert Herron, a smaller weapon, was a solid choice as well. Tampa Bay's other picks weren't nearly as good. Kadeem Edwards and Kevin Pamphile were reaches in the fifth round - and the latter didn't provide a need - but the worst choice of all was Charles Sims in the third frame. With Doug Martin, Mike James and Bobby Rainey on the roster, there was absolutely no need to pick Sims, who was a reach at that point anyway. This earned the Buccaneers one of the dreaded "Millen" grades that I handed out over the weekend. Overall, the Buccaneers didn't have a very good draft. They ignored needs, made reaches and failed to find a possible long-term solution at quarterback. 2591310-319x243px-ll-57f3c2e0_camron-you-mad.jpeg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Link: http://walterfootball.com/nfldraftgradesteam.php

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Haven’t read… but this sounds like Charlie to me lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am shocked, I say, shocked that the Bucs would get a negative evaluation from that site.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Since the commentator thinks they knows the Bucs needs better than their staff………… ::)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To say the Mike Evans is just another Vincent Jackson is a lazy comparison…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy borderline bashed the Rams draft. I think he gave it a C+. Funny stuff.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, and he said this about the Pats’: “Taking Jimmy Garoppolo in the second round was the worst decision in the 2014 NFL Draft. I’m not saying Garoppolo will bust, but how is he going to help Brady win another Super Bowl? Using a major resource on him could cost the Patriots the Super Bowl. What if they need a key depth player or a potential starter that they could have acquired at that juncture? It was an awful decision.”I thought it was the New England Patriots and not the New England Bradys.  If the team like Garoppolo as a potential long-term starter, that quote seems *awfully* short-sighted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I hate the, “They didn’t find a long term QB in the draft.”  The “top” QBs in the draft were not great choices and other teams thought the same.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not a fan of Walter (although I am of Charlie) and obviously it’s ridiculous grading a draft before 3 years. Look no farther than our 2010 draft, which looked like perhaps the strongest draft in the NFL. Now we have 1 player left, and the two best pickups after McCoy were 7th rounders in Watson and Lorig. That being said, I don't think Walterfootball's arguments are poor. The Sims pick does seem crazy, and the OL we picked up seem to be deficient. Again, who cares because we won't know how we drafted for at least a couple of years, but based on current evidence it's not a bad argument.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it’s ridiculous to rank drafts right after they’ve occurred but I guess it validates the pundit-ification of the past couple months. *shrugs*

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Evan JUST another Vincent Jackson…yeah..fuck that…who wants another one of those guys…pssshhh…Walter Football...here's your grain of salt...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Grades are going to largely depend on how people perceive the prospects.  Considering Walter had us taking QB in a ton of his mocks/updates he has to double down and say by not doing so we didnt draft well.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

Who cares about the grade? It’s subjective. But the points are valid, IMO. No matter how you cut it, our QB position is up in the air. McCown is on his 6th NFL team and has completed less than 60% of his career passes and thrown almost as many INTs as he has TDs. Glennon just isn't the guy. Now, if we didn't like any of the QBs in this draft, then I can understand not taking one and putting the time into Glennon ... for now. But what stands out to you in this lineup (for the wrong reasons)?Drew BreesMatt RyanCam NewtonJosh McCownI hope McCown overachieves with us, but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope that if we don't make the playoffs this year, we tank it so we can be in a position to draft a good QB next year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Grades are going to largely depend on how people perceive the prospects.  Considering Walter had us taking QB in a ton of his mocks/updates he has to double down and say by not doing so we didnt draft well.

Anybody paying any attention to what was going on at OBP knew we were not going QB.  Walter seems to be employed by morons that can't be trusted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Anybody paying any attention to what was going on at OBP knew we were not going QB.  Walter seems to be employed by morons that can't be trusted.

You and I have been on the same page 10lb...although I let you do most of the throwing down arguing here.  I dont know how anyone looks at our draft and doesnt take positive feelings away from it.  If we completely ignored our needs that would be one thing, but we didnt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What’s the problem in picking another Vincent Jackson? The original one is 31 years old and makes $11 million per year. It’s not at all hard to think he could be gone in two years.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What's the problem in picking another Vincent Jackson? The original one is 31 years old and makes $11 million per year. It's not at all hard to think he could be gone in two years.

For real...pretty sure the list of teams who would like a VJax clone is pretty long.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The other thing is that Walter’s approach seems to put need > talent. That’s a philosophical issue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I pretty much said the Bucs were not drafting a QB.  But I am incredibly surprised that the Bucs went offense all the way, and indeed, the running back pickup in round 3 was a head scratcher.  But the guy is cheap, and he should be a Mike Pittman type player for the Bucs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I pretty much said the Bucs were not drafting a QB.  But I am incredibly surprised that the Bucs went offense all the way, and indeed, the running back pickup in round 3 was a head scratcher.  But the guy is cheap, and he should be a Mike Pittman type player for the Bucs.

I was truly surprised by no defense.  Lovie's greatest test is in front of him - getting this defense to be top 10 in his first year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was truly surprised by no defense.  Lovie's greatest test is in front of him - getting this defense to be top 10 in his first year.

I was too.  I doubt LnL went in thinking that but just the way the board fell.  Hopefully that means he thinks we have enough on D now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So forgetting we could’ve gotten one of the better QBs in the draft by trading up for very little, they also could’ve traded up in the third and gotten some of the best O-line prospects in the draft as well. Teams were doing trades and swapping 10 places left and right for as little as a 6th or 7th rounder. The Bucs should’ve done the same in the 3rd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t know any of those guys over at WalterFootball, but that was a very poor assessment of the draft class. It seemed like something from Bleacher Report TBH.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I am sure there a few teams that would like ,”just another Jackson”.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Who cares about the grade? It's subjective. But the points are valid, IMO. No matter how you cut it, our QB position is up in the air. McCown is on his 6th NFL team and has completed less than 60% of his career passes and thrown almost as many INTs as he has TDs. Glennon just isn't the guy. Now, if we didn't like any of the QBs in this draft, then I can understand not taking one and putting the time into Glennon ... for now. But what stands out to you in this lineup (for the wrong reasons)?Drew BreesMatt RyanCam NewtonJosh McCownI hope McCown overachieves with us, but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope that if we don't make the playoffs this year, we tank it so we can be in a position to draft a good QB next year.

Slightly confused...so McCown isn't it because he has thrown for under 60% and about even TD/INTs, but Glennon isn't it even though he threw right at 60% and 19/7 TD/INT?And I'd never root for my team to tank. That's just embarrassing. I'm glad a lot of these guys on here aren't in charge of...anything.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the part where he slams the FO for taking developmental picks in the 5th round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the part where he slams the FO for taking developmental picks in the 5th round.

It seems someone has an axe to grind.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly, as if most teams are busting at the seams with starters from the 5th round and beyond.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL clearly they should be able to pick non-developmental players ready to step in and with the ceilings to be Pro Bowlers!

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

Who cares about the grade? It's subjective. But the points are valid, IMO. No matter how you cut it, our QB position is up in the air. McCown is on his 6th NFL team and has completed less than 60% of his career passes and thrown almost as many INTs as he has TDs. Glennon just isn't the guy. Now, if we didn't like any of the QBs in this draft, then I can understand not taking one and putting the time into Glennon ... for now. But what stands out to you in this lineup (for the wrong reasons)?Drew BreesMatt RyanCam NewtonJosh McCownI hope McCown overachieves with us, but I'm not holding my breath. I just hope that if we don't make the playoffs this year, we tank it so we can be in a position to draft a good QB next year.

Slightly confused...so McCown isn't it because he has thrown for under 60% and about even TD/INTs, but Glennon isn't it even though he threw right at 60% and 19/7 TD/INT?And I'd never root for my team to tank. That's just embarrassing. I'm glad a lot of these guys on here aren't in charge of...anything.

Okay. So plug Mike Glennon in in place of Josh McCown. Do you like how either stacks up against the rest of the division? I don't! I'm not complaining. I'm legitimately concerned about the QB position because I feel like we've improved a lot of other aspects of our team. I really, really, really hope I am wrong about our QBs and they overachieve.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

I don't know any of those guys over at WalterFootball, but that was a very poor assessment of the draft class. It seemed like something from Bleacher Report TBH.

There have been plenty of things I didn't agree with on that site, but I specifically remember people taking WalterFootball to task last year when they predicted the Bucs would suck (I think they predicted 5-11 or something like that). They earned my respect after that because I didn't see many others predicting us to nose dive the way they did. Should be interesting to see what they predict for us this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Okay. So plug Mike Glennon in in place of Josh McCown. Do you like how either stacks up against the rest of the division? I don't! I'm not complaining. I'm legitimately concerned about the QB position because I feel like we've improved a lot of other aspects of our team. I really, really, really hope I am wrong about our QBs and they overachieve.

While it's probably not likely McCown will be that good again, he posted a higher passer rating than Brees, Ryan, and Newton last season; had a completion percentage just below Brees and Ryan and way ahead of Newton; and had a yards per attempt ahead of all three of them.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Having 2 Vincent Jackson’s on the same team is such a terrible position for a team to find itself in.Only thing worse would be. 2 Calvin Johnsons. The horror.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don't know any of those guys over at WalterFootball, but that was a very poor assessment of the draft class. It seemed like something from Bleacher Report TBH.

There have been plenty of things I didn't agree with on that site, but I specifically remember people taking WalterFootball to task last year when they predicted the Bucs would suck (I think they predicted 5-11 or something like that). They earned my respect after that because I didn't see many others predicting us to nose dive the way they did. Should be interesting to see what they predict for us this year.

Well, you know the old sayin, a broken clock is right once a day.  I would expect more from them, its easy to rip the RB draft pick. But when you look into it a little bit, it makes perfect sense. As far as the QB situation, its obvious they are rolling with McCown, with Glennon on deck. And Smith to the PS.  Then after the season, they will assess the situation, and see where they are. Its not complicated. I just expected a better effort from WF.  That assessment is very weak, and seems like something written by a fan of another team, that knows absolutely nothing about what is going on at OBP.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Maybe he mad. Idk.But what is sad is there is some truth there.We have no qb within the next two seasons besides glennon. And between the two, they won seven games last season.Now, I'm not saying that this guy is completely right, but I am sayibg I agree with his take that sims was a wasted pick and that they should have nabbed a qb.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, you know the old sayin, a broken clock is right once a day.  I would expect more from them, its easy to rip the RB draft pick. But when you look into it a little bit, it makes perfect sense. As far as the QB situation, its obvious they are rolling with McCown, with Glennon on deck. And Smith to the PS.  Then after the season, they will assess the situation, and see where they are. Its not complicated. I just expected a better effort from WF.  That assessment is very weak, and seems like something written by a fan of another team, that knows absolutely nothing about what is going on at OBP.

Pretty sure a broken clock is right twice a day.....unless I missed the joke there.Curious that he gave the Evans pick an A- and ASJ a B+, but the whole draft a C.If you hit your first two picks, which it sure looks like we did, the Draft is a big success.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well first off, it's not a one man show. Is the QB position the single most important position? Sure. But there's more to winning games than having a great QB. Also, I definitely don't see Glennon turning into Brees but I'm not positive he can't catch up to Matt Ryan's level. And I'd much rather have the rest of our team right now than the other teams in the division. I think we are in a better position to have long term success.Everyone wants to win now, but then they want to draft a QB until it works. Most every QB that has become great took time to get there. And I don't see one QB drafted this year doing as well as glennon who was thrown into the fire. He overachieved last year actually.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Seems Charlie doesn’t know the Bucs as well as he thinks he does.We only have 1 RB on the roster not coming off a season ending injury.Also I am perfectly comfortable with Glennon and Smith as developmental QB's.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Walter football has got to be the absolute worst draft website around. You can tell all of their analysts football background is from sitting on a couch or playing Madden, it is painful reading anything on there (much less navigating it).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Pretty sure a broken clock is right twice a day.....unless I missed the joke there.Curious that he gave the Evans pick an A- and ASJ a B+, but the whole draft a C.If you hit your first two picks, which it sure looks like we did, the Draft is a big success.

It depends if the clock in question displays AM and PM.And I agree with the rest of your points.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

And that’s why WFB should stick to betting lines.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah but if you analyze every other aspect of those four teams, the Bucs look very good.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It depends if the clock in question displays AM and PM.And I agree with the rest of your points.

Ha, touché.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the criticism stems more from the second half of the draft. The Evans and ASF picks were good, WF is (very reasonably) arguing the Sims, Pamphile, and Edwards were bad picks (especially the Sims pick). And we DIDN'T address the QB position, whether or not there was a QB in the draft we liked. If we'd drafted say Bridgewater at 7, this would be a great draft because we'd think we'd grabbed our franchise QB. The point isn't that the Bucs should have reached for a QB, just that factually it doesn't seem like we have that player on the roster (no matter what Smith says).No matter what, draft analysis at this point is more than useless (except in the context of trading future picks, like the idiotic Bills). WF is worse than some, better than most and while I don't wholly agree with their analysis of the Bucs draft, it's at least logical. But at this point it's not even a broken clock being right... EVERY draft outlet with their post draft rankings is shooting at grouse in the pitch dark.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

CHARLIE CAMPBELL IS A TURD…..I could give a crap what some skinny computer role playing geek thinks about our draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Are people not seeing why the worries though?Mccown. Old, maybe good until he retires.Glennon. Young, has a bit of experience now, and maybe could be a starter...see how the "maybes" creep in there?In no way am I bashing these two. We don't know what will actually happen. This is just the info we know of at a base level right now. Even IF mccown kicks ass, it's going to be bittersweet because of a shorter timeframe. And even if glennon is good, how long will it take, if at all? Point being. We MIGHT be good now, but in the future, it might not be so pretty. Especially if they're actually going to put their eggs in on basket with glennon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That’s BS, there are bigger maybes with the new QB you would have drafted. None of these guys were Luck

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel woulda been awesome but I’m pumped to see how the NFC South will deal with VJax, Evans, Murphy/Herron,  ASJ, and Martin/Sims!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's BS, there are bigger maybes with the new QB you would have drafted. None of these guys were Luck

Because someone "isn't luck" isn't a reason not to draft someone.And, yes, I would've drafted manziel. I also would've drafted bortles as well. So ?Fact is, it doesn't mean they automatically get the nod, and we actually have a oc who has worked with qb's before. If we drafted manziel, or bortles, or even teddy for that matter, they would've had a chance to succeed here.Idk if glennon is all-that, but these guys think something good about him. I'm trying hard to trust what they see, and what they want to implement though, because unlike before with previous coaching staffs, these guys know a bit more.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Walter should know the first round is the only one that should be drafted for need, the rest should be BPA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's BS, there are bigger maybes with the new QB you would have drafted. None of these guys were Luck

Seriously? You will be waiting a long time for the next Luck. And maybe even longer until the Bucs are picking no. 1 overall to secure a generational QB prospect.If we would have left the draft with Manziel/Lee, I would have been pumped. But there is no arguing that Evans/ASJ make us a much better team today.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Manziel is a bigger maybe then Glennon

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like the Bucs Draft, the offense should be much improved, love the sims pick, electric player.

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

Walter loves to bash every team. Then wets his pants over the stupidest sh!t

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft grades are so stupid.Wait a few years to judge a draft.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

The guys who watched all the film and the 1st minicamp didn’t deem QB as a huge need.Only the internet blowhards did.End of story.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

CHARLIE CAMPBELL IS A TURD.....I could give a crap what some skinny computer role playing geek thinks about our draft.

Charlie didn't write that. Walter did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guys who watched all the film and the 1st minicamp didn't deem QB as a huge need.Only the internet blowhards did.End of story.

Exactly. Even if we had Chris Simms, Rob Gradkowski and Rob Johnson as our QBs, none of the QBs in this draft were worth drafting early.

Please wait…

• dandrews

Participant

The guys who watched all the film and the 1st minicamp didn't deem QB as a huge need.Only the internet blowhards did.End of story.

Uh, you could say the same thing about tight end and depth at several positions when Marky Mark Dominick was in charge. Just because they didn't address it and feel good about it doesn't mean it's not a legitimate concern. I don't understand all the hate for WalterFootball and Charlie Cambell. So if PR gives us an A for the draft does that mean it's hitting the nail on the head? WalterFootball and a lot of other sites have been way more credible than what PR has become lately. Is it any coincidence that PR started going down hill when Charlie left PR? I thought he was pretty good when he was here. Like some of the other people here are saying, giving out grades now is really pointless. Let's see where our draft class is 2-3 years from now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: C Grade Goals Entering the 2014 NFL Draft: The Buccaneers have made a ton of acquisitions this offseason, but they're still weak in a few areas. They have to find a No. 2 receiving option, upgrade at linebacker and guard, and someone to help Gerald McCoy rush the passer on the interior of the defensive line. They'll also consider a franchise quarterback at No. 7 overall if they can get either Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel.

i think a lot of the CC/walter hate comes from this goal list.  we found a great #2 recieving option and a pretty good #3.  we signed a DT with 6 sacks last year to team with mccoy on the interior, did we really need another?  upgrade at LB?  seems there werent too many of those guys in the draft and im not sure we really have a hole at LB right now.  and while so many rave over bortles and manziel, they both have a lot of questions.  heck, both their teams already came out and said the 1st round QBs they just took were projects?  thats pretty scary.

Please wait…

Viewing 60 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.