Viewing 111 reply threads

• Author

• TampaBucks05

Participant

Warren Sapp stiffs waitress on a tip, then explains himself on TwitterBy Frank SchwabPeople claiming they were stiffed on a tip via social media is rivaling "stranded traveler needs a money transfer" in the Hall of Fame of hoax cliches, but nobody was kidding about Warren Sapp stiffing a waitress on a tip Tuesday.Sapp, a legendary defensive tackle with the Buccaneers and Raiders who also is legendary for being ornery at times, apparently went to a sports bar to watch the U.S. soccer team play its World Cup match. He and the other person he was with had a nice meal, with an appetizer, wings, a reuben sandwich, some Heinekens and a pizza. The bill came to $69.39. No big deal.But then the waitress didn't get a tip, and Sapp made sure the waitress knew he didn't just somehow forget it. The receipt ended up with ESPN.com's Darren Rovell.reciept_zps6f59d279.png[hr]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/warren-sapp-stiffs-waitress-on-a-tip--then-explains-himself-on-twitter-153631714.html

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He got that right…boys don’t leave tips…men do!More boorish behavior from Mr. Sapp...it ain't the first time and it won't be the last.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not surprising.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you read the article, Sapp claims that the food was bad and the service was poor. There have been a very few times that I haven’t left a tip either. We don’t know the truth here so don’t be too quick to judge. Yes, Sapp can be a ass now and again, but he signed his name to the bill so everyone would know it was him, so he’s taking responsibly for his action. There are always two sides to any dispute. In this case, I’m willing to lean a bit toward Mr. Sapps side.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I'm aware of Sapp's reputation, based on his explanation (which isn't quoted in the OP but easily found via the link) he may have had the right to not tip and it looks like one of PR's posters asked the right question on Sapp's twitter:

Snook @SnookTB@itsCrab @KCousineau09 @WarrenSapp @darrenrovell If he was there to watch the game then why does the receipt say 320pm? Game was at 4. Warren Sapp        ? @WarrenSappFollow@SnookTB @itsCrab @KCousineau09 @darrenrovell I left it was horrible and the service was worst8:05 AM - 2 Jul 2014

While even with the worst service I will leave some sort of tip, it's certainly within the bounds of reason to not tip if the service was unacceptable.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For some reason, I am holding judgement.  He makes a pint of saying "Boys" don't tip, so maybe the waitress referred to him as a "boy", which he might have taken offense to.  Sapp can be a clown however, so I am hoping there is more to this story, and his motives.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If you read the article, Sapp claims that the food was bad and the service was poor. There have been a very few times that I haven't left a tip either. We don't know the truth here so don't be too quick to judge. Yes, Sapp can be a ass now and again, but he signed his name to the bill so everyone would know it was him, so he's taking responsibly for his action. There are always two sides to any dispute. In this case, I'm willing to lean a bit toward Mr. Sapps side.

I agree, there are always two sides to every story...there is his story, there is her story, and most likely the truth lies somewhere in between. Two points though: 1~ Wait staff make shite for money and the almost completely rely on tips and 2~ Sapp has a history of being a boorish and pompous azz

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While it’s probably only happened once or twice I’ve left without tipping before. If I feel the service is atrocious I wont tip. Now I’ve had servers that weren’t doing a great job for one reason or another (it’s busy or they’re new) but since I work in customer service myself I’d never let that stop me from tipping… however I have had a couple waiters who were downright rude (one even flirted with my wife) and in those instances I’ve pulled a Sapp. If he felt like she was rude and the service was poor then I don’t have a problem with what he did.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren Sapp ?@WarrenSapp  22mNo waitress will ever call me a boy twice after the 1st time & I say to her "when u look at me do u see a boy?" #HenceBoysDontTipLMFAO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren has a long history of being a dick, but that said, Ive also not tipped in the past due to horrible service. Sometimes the best tip you can leave is some "loving encouragement" on the receipt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For some reason, I am holding judgement.  He makes a pint of saying "Boys" don't tip, so maybe the waitress referred to him as a "boy", which he might have taken offense to.  Sapp can be a clown however, so I am hoping there is more to this story, and his motives.

Maybe.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Doesn't really change much, we're still working off of assumption. Was offense implied or inferred? To wit: "What would you boys like to eat?"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bad service maybe?I've done this several times. However, usually it's because they held the tray full of plates/glass drinks over my infant daughter's head when serving my family.I'm pretty obvious about it too. I tell them each time, "you didn't get one, because of this."I don't want them to make a mistake to someone else's kid either. Sapp will probably explain himself. He goes overboard, but usually has an excuse.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the server both rude and incompetent, you politely inform the manager why no tip was left. They want and need to know.Same goes for when someone gets a large tip too. Catch people doing something right and compliment their boss.That said, Sapp could never be accused of having a shred of social grace.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the server both rude and incompetent, you politely inform the manager why no tip was left. They want and need to know.Same goes for when someone gets a large tip too. Catch people doing something right and compliment their boss.That said, Sapp could never be accused of having a shred of social grace.

Yeah, I respect what he did for the franchise but he was douche when I met him. Lynch, Brooks, Dungy and Dunn were all total class acts and it made me proud to have them on my team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While I'm aware of Sapp's reputation, based on his explanation (which isn't quoted in the OP but easily found via the link) he may have had the right to not tip and it looks like one of PR's posters asked the right question on Sapp's twitter:

Snook @SnookTB@itsCrab @KCousineau09 @WarrenSapp @darrenrovell If he was there to watch the game then why does the receipt say 320pm? Game was at 4. Warren Sapp        ? @WarrenSappFollow@SnookTB @itsCrab @KCousineau09 @darrenrovell I left it was horrible and the service was worst8:05 AM - 2 Jul 2014

While even with the worst service I will leave some sort of tip, it's certainly within the bounds of reason to not tip if the service was unacceptable.

Pretty weird to get a Twitter notification on my phone this morning that said, "Warren Sapp responded to your tweet."My phone is still going off from all the people responding to his tweet that has my handle in it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I respect what he did for the franchise but he was **CENSORED** when I met him. Lynch, Brooks, Dungy and Dunn were all total class acts and it made me proud to have them on my team.

The greatest NBA player of all time is the same way. And I don't really hold it against him. If those guys don't want to deal with fans, they have the right.  IMO

Please wait…

• Scholty

Participant

According to Sapp, he made it known he didn’t want to be called something, and the server ignored his preference.  Ironic or not, it’s still childish to not leave a tip, but then again when a guest explicitly tells you not to call him something you better pay attention.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I respect what he did for the franchise but he was **CENSORED** when I met him. Lynch, Brooks, Dungy and Dunn were all total class acts and it made me proud to have them on my team.

The greatest NBA player of all time is the same way. And I don't really hold it against him. If those guys don't want to deal with fans, they have the right.  IMO

Every one of us has the right to be a nimrod- most of us don't exercise it.  Sapp is an enigma.  I've seen him be incredibly rude and incredibly kind to people.  I will say this for him- his actions are not influenced by whether a camera is present or how many people are watching.  Some celebrities I've witnessed ( this would include some very popular former Bucs) are quick to smile and sign autographs when there is a camera present, but revert to absolute heels when there isn't an audience.  To Sapp's credit, what you see is what you get-  it may be a handshake or it may be a shout down, but it will be genuine.With his level of play and his charisma, Sapp could have owned this town like no player before or since.  But that would have required him to be something he wasn't naturally- and that just isn't his style.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how many times Sapp referred to a woman as a “girl?”

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp is well known for leaving poor tips in the Tampa Bay area. One example is a friend on mine who is a teacher and worked at Iavarone’s part-time was given a $5 tip on an almost $200 check. She said all went well that night and she was very surprised at the low tip amount.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp is an asshole.Always has been, always will.  I know it from personal experience like many here and just about anyone who has a story about it. He's still my favorite Buc.  I've always respected LT, too.  Go figure.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

In Sapp’s defense, this was probably the best he treated anyone on that particular day.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What’s his deal? So what somebody calls you “boy” I’m sure he’s been called worse. Even so who cares what others think I thought he would understand that the most.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What's his deal? So what somebody calls you "boy" I'm sure he's been called worse. Even so who cares what others think I thought he would understand that the most.

Which begs the question... Why do you care?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What's his deal? So what somebody calls you "boy" I'm sure he's been called worse. Even so who cares what others think I thought he would understand that the most.

Begs another, why do you care that he cares?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the  PC crowd is something else.  First you say we can’t use the N word and now you are saying we can’t use the word boy either! 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wonder how many times Sapp referred to a woman as a "girl?"

probably never.  He calls them the b word.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Begs another, why do you care that he cares?

Why do you care that I care that he cares?Now you've done it...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

probably never.  He calls them the b word.

Sounds like you have a lot of experience being called a b!tch of a man. I'm also sure it's the second most used word when one regards yourself. Especially referring to a pedophile as yourself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Heck with all the publicity this has got, the waitress should auction off the receipt on eBay. Sapp signed it and has basically authenticated it. Chances are the waitress can recap a lot more than what she would have gotten on the meal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Heck with all the publicity this has got, the waitress should auction off the receipt on eBay. Sapp signed it and has basically authenticated it. Chances are the waitress can recap a lot more than what she would have gotten on the meal.

True.I think Warren meant it as a joke, but it sure has exploded. 3 hours of talk radio today, all Warren, all the time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I met him several years ago and he called me "hun". I guess I was lucky  :D

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

According to Sapp, he made it known he didn't want to be called something, and the server ignored his preference.  Ironic or not, it's still childish to not leave a tip, but then again when a guest explicitly tells you not to call him something you better pay attention.

No it's not.  T.I.P.S. is the sort of acronym of To Ensure Proper Service.  You get a TIP because of proper service.  If proper service is not delivered, a TIP should not be delivered.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

where is it written that a server is entitled to a tip?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s pretty much a given.  They are paid only a token wage.  Sure I’ve had bad service before but I have always left a tip.  It would be too shamefull not to. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, we are in the US, we tip on average about 20% unless service just blows.  Even then, 15%. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

According to Sapp, he made it known he didn't want to be called something, and the server ignored his preference.  Ironic or not, it's still childish to not leave a tip, but then again when a guest explicitly tells you not to call him something you better pay attention.

No it's not.  T.I.P.S. is the sort of acronym of To Ensure Proper Service.  You get a TIP because of proper service.  If proper service is not delivered, a TIP should not be delivered.

actually it’s To Insure Promptness . 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's pretty much a given.  They are paid only a token wage.  Sure I've had bad service before but I have always left a tip.  It would be too shamefull not to.

If my service sux, so will the tip. The sense of entitlement in some people is off the charts.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think it's on the same page of the Bible where it says God hates gay people.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy was a great player but he’s always been a pompous prick in real life. He’s always thought he was privileged just for playing a game. This is why I didn’t go to Canton Ohio for his Induction last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He got that right...boys don't leave tips...men do!More boorish behavior from Mr. Sapp...it ain't the first time and it won't be the last.

Well Said.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

When the dumbasses made servers wage a legal thing.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

God hates gay people.

That doesn't bode well for you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

actually it's To Insure Promptness .

While I am wrong, you're not really correct either url=http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/09/what-is-the-origin-of-the-word-tip-as-in-leaving-a-tip/]Link[/url... that said, I'm not giving my money to someone who's performing a service poorly and being disrespectful while doing so.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, we are in the US, we tip on average about 20% unless service just blows.  Even then, 15%.

There have been two times in my life where I've received service so poor that I've left a 12% tip.  The tricky thing is that you really need to say something, either to the server or to management, or the server will just assume you're a cheap jerk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed, but you had a slightly different tone in this thread when Drew Brees was the culprit.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

C'mon, Warren, leave some change behind. She was a b*tch, but good enough to leave some change. Everybody's good enough for some change. The girl's got a family, she needs cash, to buy aspirin for her pain. And after all, everybody's good enough for some change.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Talk about a hypocrite, Hate even started that thread.https://www.pewterreport.com/Boards/index.php/topic,1306835.0.html?PHPSESSID=qsvov0sl3hubi6aapjd581nno2

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly...and the way tips are shared makes it even harder for servers to make a decent livingThey have to tip out the busboy and bartender...it not others...http://www.therestaurantblogger.com/the-truth-behind-tips/

1% to the hostess5% to the bartender13.4% to the busboys26.9% to the back waiter

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

C'mon, Warren, leave some change behind. She was a b*tch, but good enough to leave some change. Everybody's good enough for some change. The girl's got a family, she needs cash, to buy aspirin for her pain. And after all, everybody's good enough for some change.

Lol. I was thinking of this song as well. Is it just me or is the b-side of that album better than the A?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I always speak with the manager when the food or service is exceptionally good or bad. My tip for the server is to reconsider your career choice, but my wife leaves 15 percent anyway. One exception was when the only thing worse than the food was the service, and that place soon folded.BTW, gay people are real. I've seen them. They have their own bar in Boise Idaho. God is not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stop being such a stereotype.  Servers get paid like $3 an hour.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t have a problem with people not tipping for bad service.  I do have a problem with people that never tip.  That’s just cheap.Sapp is a known cheapskate.  This is nothing new.  Common knowledge around town.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly...and the way tips are shared makes it even harder for servers to make a decent livingThey have to tip out the busboy and bartender...it not others...http://www.therestaurantblogger.com/the-truth-behind-tips/

1% to the hostess5% to the bartender13.4% to the busboys26.9% to the back waiter

All the more motivation to be a good waiter/waitress.If my server is good, I give 20%.  If they are "acceptable", I give 15%.  Anything short of that... meaning "unacceptable" or worse, they get nothing.  If the service is great, I would go as high as 30-40%.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Then don't take that job? Be the cook? Be a drug dealer?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The irony of course being that waiting tables is one of the best non-degreed jobs there is.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  My baseline tip is 20% - I'm not a jerk.  But I waited tables myself back in the day.  And I spent a good chunk of my high school days as a McDrone.  $2.13 an hour baseline pay or no, I made a whole lot more money as a server and it wasn't actually any more work.  Admittedly, I have no experience with your latter suggestion.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

talk about a nonstory

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

4 offseason pages later….

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed, but you had a slightly different tone in this thread when Drew Brees was the culprit.

Did that involve bad service?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It involved no service at all since it was takeout.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The irony of course being that waiting tables is one of the best non-degreed jobs there is.  I mean, don't get me wrong.  My baseline tip is 20% - I'm not a jerk.  But I waited tables myself back in the day.  And I spent a good chunk of my high school days as a McDrone.  $2.13 an hour baseline pay or no, I made a whole lot more money as a server and it wasn't actually any more work.  Admittedly, I have no experience with your latter suggestion.

Right. In the end servers make above minimum wage for doing what is, in my opinion, easier work than being the cook. When they complain it usually falls on deaf ears over here.But this is why I don't go to places that require tips. I'm already overpaying for a 7 dollar burger x)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It involved no service at all since it was takeout.

maybe our ideas of takeout differ

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take out surely involves some service. I’ll tip for take out but not usually 20%. As for Sapp…. depending on actual events, ill withhold judgement on this instance.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

how does Brees potentially under tipping for acceptable service equate to Sapp protesting poor service/insult with no tip? the two things are different, right?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

how does Brees potentially under tipping for acceptable service equate to Sapp protesting poor service/insult with no tip? the two things are different, right?

to some....obviously not all

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take out surely involves some service. I'll tip for take out but not usually 20%.

Of course, it does. Not only packing up your stuff, but bringing it out to you.....sometimes, in the elements.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take out surely involves some service. I'll tip for take out but not usually 20%. As for Sapp.... depending on actual events, ill withhold judgement on this instance.

Sapp is a KNOWN non-tipper.  He's cheap.  Common knowledge.  Good service, bad service...he's a cheapskate.  No reason to withhold anything.  People have been calling local radio with story after story.  Major d bag.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take out surely involves some service. I'll tip for take out but not usually 20%. As for Sapp.... depending on actual events, ill withhold judgement on this instance.

Sapp is a KNOWN non-tipper.  He's cheap.  Common knowledge.  Good service, bad service...he's a cheapskate.  No reason to withhold anything.  People have been calling local radio with story after story.  Major d bag.

There was even a manager of a place who called in on 620. He said Sapp was a regular at his place and none of the servers wanted his table because he was an loud rude buffoon. I wonder what kind of goodies he got in his food.  ;)

Please wait…

• Scholty

Participant

But this is why I don't go to places that require tips.

After everything I've read.....THANK YOU.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

"Restaurants" is what most people call them.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Take out surely involves some service. I'll tip for take out but not usually 20%.

Of course, it does. Not only packing up your stuff, but bringing it out to you.....sometimes, in the elements.

The stuff is packed up in the kitchen by people who won't get the tip. Let's say they walk out to a car 10 times an hour and get a $3 tip on average. That's over $30 an hour! Even with a $2 average tip it's still over $20 an hour. My buddy delivers pizza's and make about $25-30 an hour average but he also needs to pay for gas, car insurance, and auto repairs. Those take-out people have about the easiest job around for the money. Give them more though since they work so hard for it. :p

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The stuff is packed up in the kitchen by people who won't get the tip. Let's say they walk out to a car 10 times an hour and get a $3 tip on average. That's over $30 an hour! Even with a $2 average tip it's still over $20 an hour. My buddy delivers pizza's and make about $25-30 an hour average but he also needs to pay for gas, car insurance, and auto repairs. Those take-out people have about the easiest job around for the money. Give them more though since they work so hard for it. :p

Sounds like your buddy needs to change his line of work!!

Please wait…

• Scholty

Participant

So you don't tip your servers either when you dine-in because your food was prepared and plated by kitchen staff then, right?  Your logic makes absolutely no sense.  The vast majority of the staff that takes togo orders, enters them into the computer, expos them, bags them with whatever necessary condiments and plasticware, takes payment, etc are servers and bartenders who are taking time away from their tables to do such (aside from places like Chili's where they have designated people just doing togo orders).  Togo orders are also included in the sales of those servers and bartenders, so they will have to tip out on them at the end of the night.  So when they don't receive a tip, they just LOST money on that transaction.  And don't cry about how much money servers make.  That's a load of horsecrap.  Few are lucky enough to make more than 30-35k a year, without benefits or health insurance, while running their butts off on a daily basis, and having to deal with people like you and Lord Jenkins who take them for granted.  Also, the kitchen vs. server pay is another poor excuse to justify tipping inadequately.  The irony is you're posting all this on a sports team's website. So you obviously don't have too much of a problem with athletes making millions upon millions, but god-forbid a server gets a couple extra bucks every so often on top of having to deal with your pigheadedness.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I mean it all really comes back to the question Ozy brought up on the first page:who sits down at a restaurant and hears:"what are you boys havin' today?"from their waitress, especially in the south, and gets offended?  I mean, that had to have been the situation, or some form of it.doesn't that decide for you, who's side you're on in this situation?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can run from it all you like, but these statements are extremely hypocritical:

I do however find it ridiculous that a man would get a $74 order and tip $3.

Why is it you don't find it equally ridiculous that man would get a $69 order and tip $0?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Why is it you don't find it equally ridiculous that man would get a $69 order and tip $0?

because Brees wasnt objecting to the service and Sapp was, right?@darrenrovell Darren u wasn't there so #ShooFly— Warren Sapp (@WarrenSapp) July 2, 2014 @Alex_Iwanowicz She kept calling us boys so the tip Fit!— Warren Sapp (@WarrenSapp) July 2, 2014 @SnookTB @itsCrab @KCousineau09 @darrenrovell I left it was horrible and the service was worst— Warren Sapp (@WarrenSapp) July 2, 2014Brees thought the service was fine, but did not merit much of a tip because it was takeout. Sapp CHOSE not to tip someone because of poor service/slight. One is the value a person places on an adequately performed service, the other is a person POINTING OUT that the services was inadequate by intentionally leaving off a tip. So, I would presume the first point was when service is adequate, one should tip even with takeout, the other is you're not entitled top a tip if you fail to perform?  Maybe?Not sure how those are the same but . . .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can run from it all you like, but these statements are extremely hypocritical:

I do however find it ridiculous that a man would get a $74 order and tip $3.

the phrase apples and oranges comes to mind!

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

anyone surprised by this?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sounds like your buddy needs to change his line of work!!

He holds a 4 year college degree and use to manage a large golf course as the grounds manager. He started doing pizza delivery on the side for some extra cash and quickly found out he could make MORE doing that full time. I mean really I doubt most people here pull down $50-60k a year. It's a damn good living all things considered. FYI on delivery drivers: They aren't paid as tipped employee so they make at least the state minimum wage an hour plus they get a trip per diem plus tips. It's not for everyone and there's no way in hell I'd do it but it's a viable job if you're good enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So you don't tip your servers either when you dine-in because your food was prepared and plated by kitchen staff then, right?  Your logic makes absolutely no sense.  The vast majority of the staff that takes togo orders, enters them into the computer, expos them, bags them with whatever necessary condiments and plasticware, takes payment, etc are servers and bartenders who are taking time away from their tables to do such (aside from places like Chili's where they have designated people just doing togo orders).  Togo orders are also included in the sales of those servers and bartenders, so they will have to tip out on them at the end of the night.  So when they don't receive a tip, they just LOST money on that transaction. 

A tip is for services rendered. It's not my logic that's the factual reason behind tips. A togo order isn't the same services rendered as dining in the place. It's a fraction of the service so they get a fraction of the tip. Most of the time when I tip $2 or $3 on a togo order the server looks surprised and thanks me personally. Some places even have signs that employees are prohibited form accepting tips. Those people are making minimum wage or better and not tipped employees. Like at my grocery store I can order stuff and they deliver 15-20 bags worth ($200+) of grocery's to my car and they refuse a tip. There's more brain washing to get tips them people realize in the industry. I love the tip cups people put up in coffee houses. LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tipping $0 is weak, if you really want to show the server you leave them something laughably small, like 3 or 4 cents. I’ve only done that once, but I admit to being very happy about it. The server took half an hour to bring just drinks, and was more interested in talking with her friends at a different table than bringing us our food in a timely manner.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tipping $0 is weak, if you really want to show the server you leave them something laughably small, like 3 or 4 cents. I've only done that once, but I admit to being very happy about it. The server took half an hour to bring just drinks, and was more interested in talking with her friends at a different table than bringing us our food in a timely manner.

You drop some change into the bottom of your glass before you leave.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They serve me in a manner I don’t like, they get no tip. Do a poor job and you get nothing. Such is life. Poor, poor server girl. If she gave bad service, she should get nothing.Be honest though, ..how many of you ordered dominos, and if it didn't get there in their guaranteed 30 mins, didn't tip(because you just got the pizza for free)?Anyone who has taken the whole family out can testify, ..75 and under isn't a lot. It was a bad day for her, that's it. That's all. It's didn't ruin her life, she's fine. And Maybe, just maybe...when someone says stop.. she will listen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There sure are a good deal of pompous, holier than thou people on this board who hold a very low opinion of servers…it makes me glad that I never did that job because the general consensus is right, people in general suck. Customers demand a ton from servers and if the server doesn’t bow down and kiss their azz…well then, that is poor service. It makes me wonder how so many with such rigid standards for wait staff would do as a server themselves? Probably not very well...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It makes me wonder how so many with such rigid standards for wait staff would do as a server themselves? Probably not very well...

That's irrelevant. It's purely a money thing. People want to feel value for their money. Who doesn't have rigid standards with their wallets?My main thing is my glass should never go empty or stay empty for long. If I have to ask the tip just went to a standard 18% tip. If I have to wait for a few minutes it keeps going down by the second. I need a drink with my food and don't like my food to get cold waiting for a refill. If the server keeps my glass full and appears to like their job I give them a 25% tip minimum. I have an open checkbook when it comes to food so the sky's the limit for a tip if the service warrants it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They serve me in a manner I don't like, they get no tip. Do a poor job and you get nothing. Such is life. Poor, poor server girl. If she gave bad service, she should get nothing.Be honest though, ..how many of you ordered dominos, and if it didn't get there in their guaranteed 30 mins, didn't tip(because you just got the pizza for free)?Anyone who has taken the whole family out can testify, ..75 and under isn't a lot. It was a bad day for her, that's it. That's all. It's didn't ruin her life, she's fine. And Maybe, just maybe...when someone says stop.. she will listen.

Just a heads up a server gets dinged for 8% of their sales in tips whether they get 8% or not. By not tipping at all you are actually forcing them to pay taxes on something they didn't get. The minimum tip should be about 2.5% to cover the taxes on what the government said you should tip minimum unless you really feel someone else should subsidize your meal by paying for part of it when they make $2.13 an hour. Most people don't know that.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

If the food isn't good, do you walk out without paying?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Warren seems to be, imo, either easily offended or just a drama queen for the sake of being a drama queen.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the food isn't good, do you walk out without paying?

Most people talk to the manager who then comps the food or replaces it.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

No, most people just don't eat there again. But talking to the manager is fine, it's a lot different than walking out without paying. Yet customers who receive poor service think it's okay to do just that.Not that it has much to do with Sapp's situation. One of the greatest players I've ever seen, but also a notorious jackwagon.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, most people just don't eat there again.

If it's a mom and pop place I've never been to before then I'd avoid going again. If it's Outback or a place I normally get good food or enjoy dining at then I'm talking to the manager.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, most people just don't eat there again. But talking to the manager is fine, it's a lot different than walking out without paying. Yet customers who receive poor service think it's okay to do just that.Not that it has much to do with Sapp's situation. One of the greatest players I've ever seen, but also a notorious jackwagon.

That's because it is okay to do just that. The tip is the incentive the server has to do their job properly. If they don't do it properly, why do they still get a tip? If everyone shared your mindset, including servers, they'd half ass everything expecting to get tipped regardless.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

That's because it is okay to do just that. The tip is the incentive the server has to do their job properly. If they don't do it properly, why do they still get a tip? If everyone shared your mindset, including servers, they'd half ass everything expecting to get tipped regardless.

The amount of the tip is the incentive. A tip is required period. Even the government taxes them on 8% of their gross sales minimum. Even bad service is still service rendered.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The amount of the tip is the incentive. A tip is required period. Even the government taxes them on 8% of their gross sales minimum. Even bad service is still service rendered.

I've never stiffed anyone, but I disagree with your comment. If service is bad enough, they take the loss, it's that simple. If they're worried about it, perform the job as it should be performed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I've never stiffed anyone, but I disagree with your comment. If service is bad enough, they take the loss, it's that simple. If they're worried about it, perform the job as it should be performed.

The problem is "bad service" is subjective. 95% of people might consider the service average but there another 5% who consider it above or below average. There was only 1 time when I didn't tip. The server's shift ended in the middle of our meal and they didn't tell the new server. We had no one serving us so I was happy to provide them an equal tip. I had to get the manager to get my bill.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp stiffs a waiter/waitress – how unsurprising…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Sapp stiffs a waiter/waitress - how unsurprising…

Yea he loves to 'stiff' women to the toon of 6 child support payments for $75,495 a month.

Please wait…

• bcwizard

Participant

Sapp stiffs a waiter/waitress - how unsurprising…

Exactly, guy is a dope

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any wing and beer joint I go to with the guys the waitress always says, “What can I get you boys”.  I never take offense to that and I’m almost as old as Sapp and I still tip the girl, 20%!  This guys a fuccn assjack! Hell, I call him sapphole! Always has been, always will be.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah, I see a lot of back and forth here, but I truly don’t believe anyone honestly thinks this was anything other than Sapp being Sapp. He’s a terrible person and a great football player.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Any wing and beer joint I go to with the guys the waitress always says, "What can I get you boys". I never take offense to that and I'm almost as old as Sapp and I still tip the girl, 20%!  This guys a fuccn assjack! Hell, I call him sapphole! Always has been, always will be.

That is because you don't have a giant bug up your azz about the entire world owing you something....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Some black guys are sensitive to being called “boy” . It’s kind of ridiculous to be offended by a word like that in that context , but some people are a-holes , and you should know that if you are server. Same thing type a thing if you call a young woman , “m’am” . 99% of them won’t care , but you have to be aware that there will be that 1% who is going to think you are saying she looks old and be offended.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Calling him “boy” and saying “hey boys” is very different to most half way intelligent folks I would think.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Some food for thought, why is someone tipped a percentage of the bill? Why should someone get more money for serving you steak rather than mac n cheese?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

As a general rule, the better paying the server job is, the more sidework it includes. The restaurant that pays better (even though that "pay" is coming in tips) will have a much larger and stronger pool of candidates to choose from. "Stronger" usually meaning better looking in our modern shallow culture.

Please wait…

• dzejms

Participant

Some food for thought, why is someone tipped a percentage of the bill? Why should someone get more money for serving you steak rather than mac n cheese?

Steak is heavier to carry.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As a general rule, the better paying the server job is, the more sidework it includes. The restaurant that pays better (even though that "pay" is coming in tips) will have a much larger and stronger pool of candidates to choose from. "Stronger" usually meaning better looking in our modern shallow culture.

Can I have that 10 seconds of my life back? WTF is this BS?

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

You can save more time than that if you stop reading and replying to my posts, and it will save me the time of having to explain everything to you.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can save more time than that if you stop reading and replying to my posts, and it will save me the time of having to explain everything to you.

Where's this explanation? No way in hell I'm saving you time if you keep posting that kind of crap Illu.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Just out of cuiousity, how much longer do you plan to spend complaining about the time you've wasted?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Just out of cuiousity, how much longer do you plan to spend complaining about the time you've wasted?

Out of what? cuiousity?“Engage people with what they expect; it is what they are able to discern and confirms their projections. It settles them into predictable patterns of response, occupying their minds while you wait for the extraordinary moment — that which they cannot anticipate.” ? Sun Tzu

Please wait…

Viewing 111 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.