Viewing 68 reply threads

• Author

• BIZKITLIMPED

Participant

tennessee first td.both conte and mcdougald drop into what looks like cover two...mariota runs read option fake, draws Alexander in and kendall wright slips behind him and takes it to the house...alexander looked to be responsible for the deep middle and got baited on play action.winston pick 6.donovan smith gets beat on the edge and it forced jameis to make a quick throw, the route was undercut and the rest is history. Jameis might have been able to step up slightly but he would have been sacked if he held the ball or stepped up. Rookie mistake.the outlet play would have been to martin on the middle screen, but winston seemed locked into the route humphries was running.Seferian jenkins td drive.gosder cherilus has no business starting. from what I have seen so far watching the game film he has been beaten on almost every play. On the play where jenkins had the sideline catch for 21 yards, cherilus was beat inside and caused jameis to flush to his left. in doing so he could never really set his feet. had he been able to, he had jackson in the corner of the endzone for a td all day.on the td play cherilus was once again beat and caused jameis to flush the pocket, this time he found jenkins for the score. so far out of all his plays ive watched, the pick 6 and his fumbled handoff to martin have been his only bad plays. there was an earlier incomplete to jackson which might have been a miscommunication, but he was also hurried because of cherilus.Ali Marpets playSo far up until this point Marpet is playing lights out. His chipping guys like hes supposed to and getting to 2nd level. Cherilus is realllly hindering that side of the line. Marpet looks outstanding but it's overshadowed by how bad cherilus is.One thing of note on the Defense is they seem to not be disciplined at all. It's as if they've forgotten their assignments and are clueless.The mariota sack fumble was indeed a horrible call. mariota turns and was running away in the grasp of mccoy and he loses control of the ball at the 1 yard line, ball rolls into endzone. we eventually recover for what should have been a td.will post more as i go...if anybody wants to chime in with this as well...nfl gamepass 7 day free trial is awesome.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

More like thisapqD5pB_700b.jpg

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

I appreciate you being brave enough to actually rewatch the game. As much as I would like too I don’t think I could. But from my in person observations it looked like every lineman but marpet and mankins had a bad game. For the Dline there was barley any pressure besides GMAC and Jaqs sacks but I believe the lack of pressure had to do with how quick Mariota was on his decision to either run or pass. The linebackers all bit on the run fake almost every time it was quite pitiful. The corners played terrible. Got beat on every slant play. Seems like they were playing very soft zone or just getting beat man to man. Chris Conte was garbage. Mcdougald didn’t play too bad actually had some nice tackles to prevent longer plays.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the play right before winston is picked for a second time, he takes a roll out to the right, he has pressure but hes able to set his feet…during the throw he seemed to get uncomfortable with the pressure coming at him and missed louis murphy for about 15 yard gain.the INT, the playcall was excellent. if that pass is completed, charles sims has a hugeee gain. defender slipped, gets up lightning quick winston tries to float it over his head and he makes an excellent play on the ball. I can't even be mad at it to be honest.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I appreciate you being brave enough to actually rewatch the game. As much as I would like too I don't think I could. But from my in person observations it looked like every lineman but marpet and mankins had a bad game. For the Dline there was barley any pressure besides GMAC and Jaqs sacks but I believe the lack of pressure had to do with how quick Mariota was on his decision to either run or pass. The linebackers all bit on the run fake almost every time it was quite pitiful. The corners played terrible. Got beat on every slant play. Seems like they were playing very soft zone or just getting beat man to man. Chris Conte was garbage. Mcdougald didn't play too bad actually had some nice tackles to prevent longer plays.

you are correct, they used and abused the read option on us to perfection. when you play without fundamentals you get shredded. corners were getting beat badly on slants by giving up the inside. some of the defensive playcalls were suspect, leaving people open down the seam. missed tackles.

Please wait…

• mfitzpatrick

Participant

I heard Dilfer and couple others say the pick 6 was a horrible route by the rookie WR but the other was all on him .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I appreciate you being brave enough to actually rewatch the game. As much as I would like too I don't think I could. But from my in person observations it looked like every lineman but marpet and mankins had a bad game. For the Dline there was barley any pressure besides GMAC and Jaqs sacks but I believe the lack of pressure had to do with how quick Mariota was on his decision to either run or pass. The linebackers all bit on the run fake almost every time it was quite pitiful. The corners played terrible. Got beat on every slant play. Seems like they were playing very soft zone or just getting beat man to man. Chris Conte was garbage. Mcdougald didn't play too bad actually had some nice tackles to prevent longer plays.

you are correct, they used and abused the read option on us to perfection. when you play without fundamentals you get shredded. corners were getting beat badly on slants by giving up the inside. some of the defensive playcalls were suspect, leaving people open down the seam. missed tackles.

gotta love that Tampa 2

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I heard Dilfer and couple others say the pick 6 was a horrible route by the rookie WR but the other was all on him .

from what I saw, winston took the snap, looked to the intermediate part of the field (trips set) and by the time he came back on his next read, smith had been beaten and their RDE was barreling down on him. he wouldn't have been able to step up. he fired it in and the corner just read him the whole way and undercut the throw.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good on ya biz…I have gamepass, but up until I came upon this thread I had no intentions of even toying with the thought of re-watching that hot mess…but your bravery has inspired me and rather than watching the cards/saints game, I will join you in the deep waters…

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

gotta love that Tampa 2

For the holes being in the middle of the field, blame our LBS. Especially Kwon who played like a rookie basically. The MLB is supposed to have the middle of the field cover. I think he will improve upon that. Also the Linebackers just played garbage as a whole. Tbh thoe it all comes down to the line not getting pressure. Somehow we are going to need to get pressure on drew brees and hit him if we want any success. I dont know why lovie cant just blitz once in a while its kind of aggravating.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

winston%20pick_zpsk0s5f81d.pngwinston%20pick%202_zpsioz8ddt8.pngthe dropbackwinston%20pick%203_zpsplsqpbl0.pngthe deliverywinston%20pick%204_zpsm0dbgerp.pngthe throw and pick

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good on ya biz...I have gamepass, but up until I came upon this thread I had no intentions of even toying with the thought of re-watching that hot mess...but your bravery has inspired me and rather than watching the cards/saints game, I will join you in the deep waters...

good lookin' out, i can't be the only one interested in this stuff lol

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

I think the way Jameis played is huge and he did cost us points, BUT hes a rookie and he will have his struggles. What im mostly concerned with is the offensive line and why the linebackers got fooled so bad and as well as what happened in the secondary.I am as well going to look at the film even thoe it will be hard.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m afraid to rewatch myself but this all sounds like what I saw. Gosder shouldn’t be playing. He’s a mess. Do we even have another RT?

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

I don’t think so haha.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

okay so i made it through the rest of the bucs offensive plays. and honestly there was really only 2 throws that he shouldn’t have thrown during the 3rd and 4th qtr. all the penalties negating some huge plays killed momentum. not saying we would have came back, but you can’t keep shooting yourself in the foot.On the plays where jameis was sacked twice back to back, the second sack was on jameis. he rolled out too wide and tripped over cherilus who was getting pushed back(like always) and just fell down. Needs to be more aware of his surroundings. If you go through the film you'll see he made his rookie mistakes, but outside of the two picks and the botched handoff and tripping over his guys...he didn't play that bad. The OL's inability to block and play disciplined football along with the defense pretty much playing like a tomato can the entire game lost this game. Everything that i've seen on Jameis Winstons part is correctable and im confident it will be with experience. The OL getting whipped along with the defense im not so sure can be fixed. At least not this year. Hopefully they all improve and Lovie hounds on fundamentals. They need to start playing like they're accountable for their mistakes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The oline who knows. At the earliest will be when Dotson is back. The D I think comes back hard next game. I imagine hammering the importance of not biting on every play action will be a good thing against the saints.

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

The Oline and our defensibe ends are the only things that scare me really. But who ever lines up next to mcdougald needs to play well and for the love of god verner, turn around on the deep ball your a good corner, play like it next game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ok…1 quater done (wipes brow)I am convinced that the offense can run the ball, the o-line had there d-line on skates a couple times...If we had any defense to speak of and could have kept running the ball, Martin would've had a field day, especially in the 2nd half. Oh, and as already mentioned, Marpet is a stud in this department.After the game, I couldn't remember another game where LVD was so completely invisible...after re-watching the 1st quarter he was plenty visible...in a bad way. This makes me feel slightly better about the D because he was so far away from his usual self (in one of the most important positions on this defense) that there is no way he plays that bad again this week..hopefully ever...and therefore neither will the defense (crossing all fingers and toes!)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ok...1 quater done (wipes brow)I am convinced that the offense can run the ball, the o-line had there d-line on skates a couple times...If we had any defense to speak of and could have kept running the ball, Martin would've had a field day, especially in the 2nd half. Oh, and as already mentioned, Marpet is a stud in this department.After the game, I couldn't remember another game where LVD was so completely invisible...after re-watching the 1st quarter he was plenty visible...in a bad way. This makes me feel slightly better about the D because he was so far away from his usual self (in one of the most important positions on this defense) that there is no way he plays that bad again this week..hopefully ever...and therefore neither will the defense (crossing all fingers and toes!)

Told you Marpet looks like a beast out there! Easily our best OL no doubt.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biz, thanks for the screenshots. Bucs receivers with absolutely zero separation on that INT play. Look at those guys – blanketed.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biz, thanks for the screenshots. Bucs receivers with absolutely zero separation on that INT play. Look at those guys - blanketed.

Welcome. It was like that most of the game as well, what time he did have to throw he had to throw in coverage like that, the rest of the time he was running for his life.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thanks Limp for providing us with some of your well-thought-out analysis and interpretation. It is truly a breath of fresh air from the mindless (censored)ing and moaning that currently litters the board. If more fans were as intelligent and well informed as you are, this would be a much more enjoyable forum.

Please wait…

• JonMott

Participant

I know probably the best forum in the last few days. I just pray the bucs turn it around and play good next weekend!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Biz, thanks for the screenshots. Bucs receivers with absolutely zero separation on that INT play. Look at those guys - blanketed.

Steve White thought that the int was thrown on what was supposed to be a pick play by the TE, but no pick (except for the pick-6).

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

tennessee first td.both conte and mcdougald drop into what looks like cover two...mariota runs read option fake, draws Alexander in and kendall wright slips behind him and takes it to the house...alexander looked to be responsible for the deep middle and got baited on play action.

I thought that was Wright, not McDougald, but I could be wrong. I had a couple of thoughts on this play, that was just way too easy for Mariota to read:- Nobody is covering Wright. LVD is near him, but he's clearly not going to cover nor is he going to bump/re-route him. - Conte pretends like he's in off-coverage, but he gives up the disguise before the snap. MM has to be salivating as he sees Conte's back. - I agree that Alexander needs to drop and the play-fake fools him, but that's a huge ask, especially without the re-route. MM is throwing that even if he doesn't fool Alexander I think.- I wonder if Conte and McDougald/Wright hit their marks - they seemed awfully wide apart, but I don't have all-22. - McDougald/Wright took a terrible angle to Wright.

Please wait…

• papalopes

Participant

winston%20pick_zpsk0s5f81d.pngwinston%20pick%202_zpsioz8ddt8.pngthe dropbackwinston%20pick%203_zpsplsqpbl0.pngthe deliverywinston%20pick%204_zpsm0dbgerp.pngthe throw and pick

ok, makes me feel better seeing that no one was open on the play and he wasn't blind to an open receiver.one thing i always said he needed to get better at was throwing the ball away. at fsu he would never give up on a play and would try to force it. he needs more coaching on that aspect. sometimes the defense wins. throw the ball away and keep the drive going on the next play

Please wait…

• papalopes

Participant

can you provide a link to the game film though

Please wait…

• stonecoldbucsfan

Participant

I don’t know off the top of my head what coverages we ran but for the most part it seemed like C2 and man. I feel like this defense would be better in C3. Banks is not a man guy by any means, I feel like he’s best in Cover 3. McDougald could get deep middle and throw Verner in the slot for the flat and put Moore/Jenning for the other deep third. This way if Kwon can’t drop back to the deep middle in C2 we have more coverage. Either way with no pass rush coverage is gonna get broken eventually.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not an “I told you so” dude but I really disliked the Gosder signing and I see he’s doing everything in his power to validate my disdain.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

from what I saw, winston took the snap, looked to the intermediate part of the field (trips set) and by the time he came back on his next read, smith had been beaten and their RDE was barreling down on him. he wouldn't have been able to step up. he fired it in and the corner just read him the whole way and undercut the throw.

Winston definitely could have stepped up in the pocket.  If he does that, Martin is open for a check-down and positive gain.  Winston never should have thrown that ball.  It was covered all the way.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Welcome. It was like that most of the game as well, what time he did have to throw he had to throw in coverage like that, the rest of the time he was running for his life.

But, he stares down receivers, is inaccurate, and his horrible mechanics rob him of precious time to hit the open targets [blue font].  Jameis didn't play well, but anyone who thinks there will not be a learning curve is being delusional.  This team is a QBs worst nightmare - especially with the Oline troubles and no M. Evans.  The game is going to be too fast for Winston for a while.  You combat that fact with easy targets and time to process.  The Bucs can't provide either.  I hope we see a healthy dose of Martin this week, with Winston throwing 15-20 times (hopefully off of play action set up by the successful run game).  We also need an Ike Hilliard type who can handle the dirty, underneath stuff to keep the chains moving when the defense is keying on our twin towers. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Winston definitely could have stepped up in the pocket.  If he does that, Martin is open for a check-down and positive gain.  Winston never should have thrown that ball.  It was covered all the way.

Watch it full speed how quickly smith gets beat...if winston steps up, hes getting sacked...because the DE is squared up on him when he throws the ball...he holds ut...hes goin down

Please wait…

• papalopes

Participant

winston%20pick%204_zpsm0dbgerp.pngif he had stepped up in the pocket he would be where the defensive tackle for the the titans was after he peeled off the guard. no one was open, he should have took a sack or tried to throw the ball away

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'm not an "I told you so" dude but I really disliked the Gosder signing and I see he's doing everything in his power to validate my disdain.

Sure wish they would have taker fliers on some late tackles in addition to Smith instead of wasting picks on 2 stiff receivers and a RB that was never going to make the roster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

:'(either way, sack is better than pick 6…as well as throw away

Please wait…

• papalopes

Participant

:'(either way, sack is better than pick 6...as well as throw away

how do you have access to the all 22 film?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Watch it full speed how quickly smith gets beat...if winston steps up, hes getting sacked...because the DE is squared up on him when he throws the ball...he holds ut...hes goin down

You can see it in the live shot and the still shot you've provided:

winston%20pick%203_zpsplsqpbl0.pngthe delivery

Winston could have, and should have, stepped up in the pocket.  There is room to do so.  There isn't much doubt about it. He will learn, hopefully.

Please wait…

• vbucobruce

tennessee first td.both conte and mcdougald drop into what looks like cover two...mariota runs read option fake, draws Alexander in and kendall wright slips behind him and takes it to the house...alexander looked to be responsible for the deep middle and got baited on play action.winston pick 6.donovan smith gets beat on the edge and it forced jameis to make a quick throw, the route was undercut and the rest is history. Jameis might have been able to step up slightly but he would have been sacked if he held the ball or stepped up. Rookie mistake.the outlet play would have been to martin on the middle screen, but winston seemed locked into the route humphries was running.Seferian jenkins td drive.gosder cherilus has no business starting. from what I have seen so far watching the game film he has been beaten on almost every play. On the play where jenkins had the sideline catch for 21 yards, cherilus was beat inside and caused jameis to flush to his left. in doing so he could never really set his feet. had he been able to, he had jackson in the corner of the endzone for a td all day.on the td play cherilus was once again beat and caused jameis to flush the pocket, this time he found jenkins for the score. so far out of all his plays ive watched, the pick 6 and his fumbled handoff to martin have been his only bad plays. there was an earlier incomplete to jackson which might have been a miscommunication, but he was also hurried because of cherilus.Ali Marpets playSo far up until this point Marpet is playing lights out. His chipping guys like hes supposed to and getting to 2nd level. Cherilus is realllly hindering that side of the line. Marpet looks outstanding but it's overshadowed by how bad cherilus is.One thing of note on the Defense is they seem to not be disciplined at all. It's as if they've forgotten their assignments and are clueless.The mariota sack fumble was indeed a horrible call. mariota turns and was running away in the grasp of mccoy and he loses control of the ball at the 1 yard line, ball rolls into endzone. we eventually recover for what should have been a td.will post more as i go...if anybody wants to chime in with this as well...nfl gamepass 7 day free trial is awesome.

Finally an objective post! Well done! I re-watched the game tape and I agree with many of the points you listed above. Next week I'm planning on commenting on specific plays, but I'll touch on a few players that caught my eye for the wrong reasons:Lavonte David All of the linebackers looked lost on Sunday, but Lavonte stood out the most to me. There were several plays where he was a half-step away from getting a hand on the ball or making a tackle. Because we are a defense that's built around turnovers, we need Lavonte to play a step quicker (his normal self) and be in the right spot to tip the ball or tackle. His comment about playing timid after the Major Wright hit makes sense after evaluating his playGosder CherilusIn terms of individual play, Gosder was the biggest liability of all the o-linemen. The OP captured everything I saw on the film. We might need to use more two TE sets so we can chip the defensive ends. Moore, Verner and BanksPress the receivers at the line! The timing between MM and his WRs was superb. There were numerous times I saw the receivers get a free release, which led to big gains.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

winston%20pick%204_zpsm0dbgerp.pngif he had stepped up in the pocket he would be where the defensive tackle for the the titans was after he peeled off the guard. no one was open, he should have took a sack or tried to throw the ball away

The pick you posted is well after the throw was made.  You can look at the pic I posted above or the live play, and you will definitely see where the QB should have stepped up in the pocket and when Martin comes open as a check-down option.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yeah.  I also read Steve White's breakdown, and he said that the WR and the TE on the left there were supposed to run a pick play that should have got Humphries open.  But the WR and TE ran clear routes.  With the pass being a 3 step drop, it was doomed as soon as the pick did not occur.As for the defense, White said Tampa MAYBE ran the Tampa 2 5 times the whole game.  I noticed at the game that there was a lot of man to man being played, but surprised that we played so little Tampa 2.  I am not like a lot of people in that I don't think that there is anything wrong or antiquated with the Tampa 2, and to be honest I wish we ran it more.  However, doesn't matter what plays we run if the guys aren't doing what they are supposed to. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I stated that in the op…winston was never looking to go there…he was locked into the trips side of the field…by the time he turns his head to the right, steps and sets his feet to make that throw…hes taking a sack..the de hit him same time he threw the ball

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Excellent thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I stated that in the op...winston was never looking to go there...he was locked into the trips side of the field...by the time he turns his head to the right, steps and sets his feet to make that throw...hes taking a sack..the de hit him same time he threw the ball

Sorry, Biggs is right. When you watch the film, the DE that hits Winston hits him from his side and behind him. If he steps up, he buys himself another half second or so. Stepping up would not put him into the DE's path it takes him away from it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the lord jameis doesn’t need to step anywhere, he is everywhere!You non believing mariota fan, who hates the bucs, and are fans of the TITS. Your day of reckoning will come. For all is wonderful when you believe in jameis!

Please wait…

• vbucobruce

the lord jameis doesn't need to step anywhere, he is everywhere!You non believing mariota fan, who hates the bucs, and are fans of the TITS. Your day of reckoning will come. For all is wonderful when you believe in jameis!

You feel better now?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Kwon Alexander and he looks to be a great pick for us but he got worked over pretty badly on at least two of Mariota’s TDs. He was biting….HARD….and opened up huge throwing lanes up the middle. He’ll have some learning to do. We have our “leaders” on both sides of the ball being rookies….so some growing pains.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

the lord jameis doesn't need to step anywhere, he is everywhere!You non believing mariota fan, who hates the bucs, and are fans of the TITS. Your day of reckoning will come. For all is wonderful when you believe in jameis!

Please go back to the kid's table and let the adults talk.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Kwon Alexander and he looks to be a great pick for us but he got worked over pretty badly on at least two of Mariota's TDs. He was biting....HARD....and opened up huge throwing lanes up the middle. He'll have some learning to do. We have our "leaders" on both sides of the ball being rookies....so some growing pains.

Check out the yardbarker link on the Titans offense. A lot of the approach is designed to make things very difficult on the linebackers. http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mariota_shines_in_debut_as_scheme_plays_a_critical_role/s1_12986_19544710

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please go back to the kid's table and let the adults talk.

There is no kid (ding) when it comes to the lord jameis!For the FSU fan told me so.Stop being a nonbeliever and get on board. Your soul will thank you for it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d say the Bucs expected a heavy dose of running from the Titans, and were keying on it, based on their LBs quick reactions to Mariota’s fakes. Hopefully they can rebound against the Saints, who actually have a much better stable of RBs, even with Spiller is injured. Brees does seem to get greedy passing the ball and takes a lot of chances…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I like Kwon Alexander and he looks to be a great pick for us but he got worked over pretty badly on at least two of Mariota's TDs. He was biting....HARD....and opened up huge throwing lanes up the middle. He'll have some learning to do. We have our "leaders" on both sides of the ball being rookies....so some growing pains.

Yes, the poor scheme combined with confused LB play was mostly to blame. Bucs made it easy on them. Coaching coaching coaching.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd say the Bucs expected a heavy dose of running from the Titans, and were keying on it, based on their LBs quick reactions to Mariota's fakes. Hopefully they can rebound against the Saints, who actually have a much better stable of RBs, even with Spiller is injured. Brees does seem to get greedy passing the ball and takes a lot of chances...

I agree the Bucs probably expected more run. Also, to be fair, MM has excellent ball-handling skills. I highly recommend the yard-barker piece above - it explains a lot about why we bit so often. It's by design.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd say the Bucs expected a heavy dose of running from the Titans, and were keying on it, based on their LBs quick reactions to Mariota's fakes. Hopefully they can rebound against the Saints, who actually have a much better stable of RBs, even with Spiller is injured. Brees does seem to get greedy passing the ball and takes a lot of chances...

I agree the Bucs probably expected more run. Also, to be fair, MM has excellent ball-handling skills. I highly recommend the yard-barker piece above - it explains a lot about why we bit so often. It's by design.

Good call on that article. It still doesnt change the fact that they werent coached on how to defend it. You'd have to be a complete moron if you thought the titans werent going to at LEAST throw in some kind of wrinkles feom oregon and how mariota ran that offense. Did they just solely watch titans preseason film? If they did then Lovie reallly needs to go.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Finally an objective post! Well done! I re-watched the game tape and I agree with many of the points you listed above. Next week I'm planning on commenting on specific plays, but I'll touch on a few players that caught my eye for the wrong reasons:Lavonte David All of the linebackers looked lost on Sunday, but Lavonte stood out the most to me. There were several plays where he was a half-step away from getting a hand on the ball or making a tackle. Because we are a defense that's built around turnovers, we need Lavonte to play a step quicker (his normal self) and be in the right spot to tip the ball or tackle. His comment about playing timid after the Major Wright hit makes sense after evaluating his playGosder CherilusIn terms of individual play, Gosder was the biggest liability of all the o-linemen. The OP captured everything I saw on the film. We might need to use more two TE sets so we can chip the defensive ends. Moore, Verner and BanksPress the receivers at the line! The timing between MM and his WRs was superb. There were numerous times I saw the receivers get a free release, which led to big gains.

Agree...  With threads like this, there truly is hope for the red board.  Hats off to the OP.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I re-watched Sunday night…hoping it wasn’t quite as bad as I thought it was. It was. Lavonte, the other LBs and the safeties had a terrible, terrible game. They bit on everything. The Titans just kept running the read option over and over because the Bucs LBs and the safeties seemed to crash on the run every time.As for the first play. They showed cover two but I think it was actually man. Lavonte had the coverage on Wright and bit on the read option, by the time he recovered, Wright was darting to the end zone. The bad part of that play is the safeties should have come up and made a play on the receiver. I don't know what the hell they were doing. It should have been a 10 yard gain, not a 50-something yard explosion.As for Jameis, sorry, the Pick Six was on him. He should've never thrown that ball. The second pick I think was just an outstanding play by the defender. Jameis tried to lob it over him and that dude skied for the pick.And yes, on that series where Jameis was sacked twice, the second one was a gift because he tripped over Cherilus.On the bright side, everything that went wrong on Sunday can be fixed. It wasn't a talent issue. It was a "not doing your job" issue.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On the bright side, everything that went wrong on Sunday can be fixed. It wasn't a talent issue. It was a "not doing your job" issue.

Are you confident that Lovie can fix it?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good call on that article. It still doesnt change the fact that they werent coached on how to defend it. You'd have to be a complete moron if you thought the titans werent going to at LEAST throw in some kind of wrinkles feom oregon and how mariota ran that offense. Did they just solely watch titans preseason film? If they did then Lovie reallly needs to go.

Well if they watched Oregon film, they didn't watch enough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

As for the first play. They showed cover two but I think it was actually man. Lavonte had the coverage on Wright and bit on the read option, by the time he recovered, Wright was darting to the end zone. The bad part of that play is the safeties should have come up and made a play on the receiver. I don't know what the hell they were doing. It should have been a 10 yard gain, not a 50-something yard explosion.

I totally disagree. Conte is inside and closer to the line of scrimmage across from Wright, like he's in some sort of off-coverage. He bails before snap to drop into the deep zone, giving away the disguise.  Lavonte's the closest to Wright, but he's not lined up to cover Wright. His inside of Wright and his feet are square to the LOS. If that's man it's terrible technique and a terrible idea (he's fast, but he's man covering the slot WR?) The reason the safeties don't make the play:- Conte is running back to his spot in the deep zone and he's actually backpedaling until the  outside WR is starts turning inside. He's just too far away to beat Wright to the spot. Perhaps his markers are all wrong and he should be elsewhere, but from where he is, no chance. As an aside, I feel like at least since Schiano, we have had this problem a lot - we want to disguise the coverage so much that we have guys running in the wrong direction. When the disguise is blown, it's a big play. Either we disguise it better, or just set up in Cover-2, so that the S can break on the play instead of being stuck trying to change direction.- McDougald's more the problem (of the S) to my layman eyes - He's staring into the backfield, and bites so hard on the action that he takes away any chance of making the play. At first I thought he actually just took a bad angle, but from the overhead shots you can see that he took a bad angle because he ran himself into the fake. By the time he figured out what was happening, he only had a bad angle to take.I'd point out that MM, Steve White, and others with a lot more knowledge than me have suggested this was Tampa-2 or at least Cover-2 as well.  I know there's a lot of MM love out there, but this is a simple, simple read. He's looking to see what Alexander is doing and it's either a throw or a hand-off. That's it. Where MM gets credit from me is that he's a) a great ball-handler; b) makes a quick decision and a quick throw; c) is accurate.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

On the bright side, everything that went wrong on Sunday can be fixed. It wasn't a talent issue. It was a "not doing your job" issue.

I'm very much off the Lovie bandwagon, but I think we go back to being a defense that has issues at DE and S, but isn't completely confused all over the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ok, makes me feel better seeing that no one was open on the play and he wasn't blind to an open receiver.one thing i always said he needed to get better at was throwing the ball away. at fsu he would never give up on a play and would try to force it. he needs more coaching on that aspect. sometimes the defense wins. throw the ball away and keep the drive going on the next play

Nothing about that play should make you feel better.  The read was absolutely horrendous.  At no point in that play was Humphries even considered to be open by even the smallest of margins.  He was blanketed before the ball was even snapped.  That was a horrible decision.Also, in that 3rd screen grab, you can see that Seferian-Jenkins was in the process of starting his comeback before Winston threw the ball... which means, either Winston gave up on that route to throw to a covered receiver, he got scared from the pressure, or his footwork was so bad that he didn't have the ability to step up in the pocket and throw the ball to Seferian-Jenkins.  In which case, all 3 possible scenarios are bad.IF he felt too much pressure, the right thing to do would have been to throw the ball away.  Clearly in these picture segments and on the video, that option never even ran across his mind.  The only logical conclusion anyone could come away with from that play is that Winston made a dumb read, dumb decision, and he had horrible footwork.  I honestly don't know what could possibly make you feel better about that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The answer to that question from everyone, and I mean everyone who is currently alive, should be "No".

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing about that play should make you feel better.  The read was absolutely horrendous.  At no point in that play was Humphries even considered to be open by even the smallest of margins.  He was blanketed before the ball was even snapped.  That was a horrible decision.Also, in that 3rd screen grab, you can see that Seferian-Jenkins was in the process of starting his comeback before Winston threw the ball... which means, either Winston gave up on that route to throw to a covered receiver, he got scared from the pressure, or his footwork was so bad that he didn't have the ability to step up in the pocket and throw the ball to Seferian-Jenkins.  In which case, all 3 possible scenarios are bad.IF he felt too much pressure, the right thing to do would have been to throw the ball away.  Clearly in these picture segments and on the video, that option never even ran across his mind.  The only logical conclusion anyone could come away with from that play is that Winston made a dumb read, dumb decision, and he had horrible footwork.  I honestly don't know what could possibly make you feel better about that.

Are you truly that unrealistic in your expectations?  So what is your payoff in these diatribes against Winston?  Do you think this earns you some kind of award? He certainly isn't the first or last rookie QB to play poorly. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The answer to that question from everyone, and I mean everyone who is currently alive, should be "No".

i doubt we will ever have a HOF defense under lovie, but i do think he can fix the major issues of last game.  biting on PA and being undisciplined were the 2 major issues.i think we look much better this week and tenn looks much worse, which is gonna cause a few posters heads to explode.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i doubt we will ever have a HOF defense under lovie, but i do think he can fix the major issues of last game.  biting on PA and being undisciplined were the 2 major issues.i think we look much better this week and tenn looks much worse, which is gonna cause a few posters heads to explode.

I don't think so.  His defenses in Chicago were boom or bust based on turnovers.  He never had a consistently solid defense.  Heck, I'm fine with being in the 11 to 15th ranked defenses, but he was either top 5 or in the 20's.  That's too erratic and you can't build a consistent winner like that... which is why he was fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Good thread.The scary part of so many players not doing their individual jobs is that many of these guys are veterans, brought in due to their familiarity with the defense. I think it's an easy solution to say not to disguise coverages until the players are more comfortable, but it's not just the rookies and young guys that were making errors. I read Andy Benoit's tweets about the game and I take some comfort in the idea that the game was just too fast for Winston to start. I'd certainly prefer that it wasn't, but he's definitely not the first player that has ever needed experience to get the game to slow down for him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I didn't say all that now!  :o

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Check out the yardbarker link on the Titans offense. A lot of the approach is designed to make things very difficult on the linebackers. http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/mariota_shines_in_debut_as_scheme_plays_a_critical_role/s1_12986_19544710

thanks for posting this, super informative

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It was a tough week for the Bucs offense. Looking at this all-22 it is pretty easy to see that the WRs were not getting open. You can criticise the QB all you want but if the WRs aren’t open there is not a lot he can do about it.Jameis is looking at this film. He is trying to find the answers that he needs in order to get better. Lets all hope that we have Mike Evans back this week, because no matter what Winston does, if the receivers aren't open the offense is going to struggle.

Please wait…

Viewing 68 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.