Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 35 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

Father Time.

I’m not trolling for reactions or trying to be a negative Nellie. But I try to look objectively at things. Tom Brady may be meeting up with the aforementioned figure sooner than we all want to believe. As soon as this year for the 44 year old.

Reason 1) The knee injury was more serious than they let on. So will that be a problem this year?

Reason 2) Drafting Trask. The Bucs now have four QBs. Are they beefing up the backup situation because they see the possibility of Brady not making it through 20 or 21 games? I think the Bucs want to have a stable QB situation if Brady is not available.

Reason 3) Just a gut feeling, and I’ll be happy to be wrong.

Bottom line: I just think people are overly optimistic about Brady’s future. When he came here we knew it would be one year at a time. So lets not get ahead of ourselves and start planning out two and three more years. Lets do this one more time, and then its time to head off into the sunset. Lets enjoy it this year and if all goes well we can win another Superbowl…

…but I’m calling it. Just my opinion of course. The 2021 Season is the last hurrah for Tom Brady.

• Hockey Duckie

Participant

Are you @theknees in disguise?

1) Brady won the Super Bowl with that knee.
      2) Trask will not win anything in his rookie season.
      3) Again, are you @theknees in disguise?

You should have been like this last season, not after we win the Super Bowl. I hate to say this, but it’s disgusting behavior. Brady may succumb, but you don’t know when. Geez. Why bring everyone back then?

This is the off-season. Usually, the off-season is the only time all fans can be happy! GTFO!!! Seriously ruining the vibe of winning the Super Bowl.

• buc-in-out

Participant

I’m convinced Brady has 1 more solid year in him. He signed a 2 year deal so everyone thinks he’ll be our starter for the next 2 years… but that deal helped us out cap wise. it’s quite possible he hangs em up after this season.

He seems like the kind of guy that will go out on his terms, I can’t see him limping out on the field. His legacy is more important then the paycheck. He’ll hang em up before his time is up.

• BadabingBucs

Participant

Just refer to peytons last year in Denver. The guy was god awful and they still won

Brady is surrounded by pro bowlers and the defense is top 10; even if he has a Peyton like decline, we still could eek one out

• Roy

Participant

You should have been like this last season, not after we win the Super Bowl. I hate to say this, but it’s disgusting behavior. Brady may succumb, but you don’t know when. Geez. Why bring everyone back then?

This is the off-season. Usually, the off-season is the only time all fans can be happy! GTFO!!! Seriously ruining the vibe of winning the Super Bowl.

I didn’t say Brady wouldn’t make it through the year. But unless we get the bye week, he’s going to have to play 21 games to win a Superbowl. I just think that’s expecting a lot. I see him missing some portion of the games. I didn’t say it would be at the end necessarily. He could get miss games in the middle and come back at the end. I think its going to be a struggle, and he’ll call it quits at the end. I didn’t say we wouldn’t win a Superbowl this year. Hockey, if you see this as a “knees” type of post, well I guess anybody who would dare to suggest Brady is a mere mortal has some resemblance to knees. But I promise not to post the same thing 750 times until you cry for mercy.

I think if you set your sites on a realistic scenario you can be happy when that scenario comes out for the better. I don’t think we should be disappointed in the Brady experiment. Regardless of what happens from here on out he already won us a Superbowl. I do think we have a good chance to win another one.

I think we’re going to need the 2nd string for part of the season, but that’s going to be Gabbert. But you still want depth in the position. You don’t want to have to bring Calvin Peete out of retirement, nor do you want to rely on Ryan Griffin. And that’s where Trask comes in. If you have to make a go with Gabbert and Trask its not a total loss.

• Runole

Participant

I didn’t say Brady wouldn’t make it through the year. But unless we get the bye week, he’s going to have to play 21 games to win a Superbowl. I just think that’s expecting a lot. I see him missing some portion of the games. I didn’t say it would be at the end necessarily. He could get miss games in the middle and come back at the end. I think its going to be a struggle, and he’ll call it quits at the end. I didn’t say we wouldn’t win a Superbowl this year. Hockey, if you see this as a “knees” type of post, well I guess anybody who would dare to suggest Brady is a mere mortal has some resemblance to knees. But I promise not to post the same thing 750 times until you cry for mercy.

I think if you set your sites on a realistic scenario you can be happy when that scenario comes out for the better. I don’t think we should be disappointed in the Brady experiment. Regardless of what happens from here on out he already won us a Superbowl. I do think we have a good chance to win another one.

I think we’re going to need the 2nd string for part of the season, but that’s going to be Gabbert. But you still want depth in the position. You don’t want to have to bring Calvin Peete out of retirement, nor do you want to rely on Ryan Griffin. And that’s where Trask comes in. If you have to make a go with Gabbert and Trask its not a total loss.

Such predictions or fears would have made sense last season but after a SB win, and arguably(barring early preseason injuries) a much better team (with a real training camp) such an opinion is really not realistic and far too pessimistic. I can’t remember feeling this good about the Bucs in their entire history! That is reality not false optimism.

• GoldsonAges

Participant

Tom Brady is the only QB over 40 years old to ever play in a Superbowl. He did it twice (and won both).

So, yeah he is definitely on borrowed time. It’s absolutly incredible that he had a knee injury at his age and didn’t retire.

We’re in unprecedented territory. Great topic of discussion really.

And it’s both funny and a little sad reading the comments so far. Roy is the only one to post a realistic opinion.

Unfortunatly because this forum isn’t moderated to remove the vile actors these discussions never get off the ground, but it was a good attempt by Roy.

GottaJaboo wrote:
      (Justin) Evans will be far superior to (Budda) Baker in the pros.

Dan Skipper Sucks! (lost bet)
      Update – UDFA Dan Skipper has been signed by the Dallas Cowboys

• BuccaNOLEer

Participant

The fact that Brady was playing with an injured knee and still won a Super Bowl…..
      The fact that this team had no offseason or training camp….
      The fact that this team looked slightly above average until after its bye week…..

It’s scary to think how good this team could’ve been in 2020 and will be in 2021.

• Donkey

Participant

This might be Brady’s final season but so what? Everyone here knows that’s a strong possibility. And it sure as hell beats the losing/mediocracy of the last two decades.

• seekpar

Participant

I don’t think Father Time shows up, but more like Nagging Wife. Gisele wanted him to quit after the Super Bowl. I think that noise will get louder after this season.

• Donkey

Participant

That’s a real possibility

I don’t think Father Time shows up, but more like Nagging Wife. Gisele wanted him to quit after the Super Bowl. I think that noise will get louder after this season.

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I think 2 or 3 key non brady season ending injries is far more likely then brady not having an MVP type season.

Hes a lock for top 5. Qbs can’t be touched in todays NFL. Especially Brady.

• Runole

Participant

The fact that Brady was playing with an injured knee and still won a Super Bowl…..
      The fact that this team had no offseason or training camp….
      The fact that this team looked slightly above average until after its bye week…..

It’s scary to think how good this team could’ve been in 2020 and will be in 2021.

This is closer to reality than predicting Brady will likely be injured and miss the season.

Yes, Brady will retire and when he says it then it becomes a reality. So who here knows Gisele personally and speaks with her about her wishes for Tom.

• Runole

Participant

Tom Brady is the only QB over 40 years old to ever play in a Superbowl. He did it twice (and won both).

So, yeah he is definitely on borrowed time. It’s absolutly incredible that he had a knee injury at his age and didn’t retire.

We’re in unprecedented territory. Great topic of discussion really.

And it’s both funny and a little sad reading the comments so far. Roy is the only one to post a realistic opinion.

Unfortunatly because this forum isn’t moderated to remove the vile actors these discussions never get off the ground, but it was a good attempt by Roy.

Yes, there is one thing sure in this world…. “None of us is going to get out of here alive” How is that for reality? Of course it is everyone’s choice to spend their time worrying about it. That is sad way to look at life IMO.

• tiapanda

Participant

“Are you @theknees in disguise?”

@theknees
      ‘ take on Brady: “Doesn’t love the game”

• M4X

Participant

Just refer to peytons last year in Denver. The guy was god awful and they still won

Brady is surrounded by pro bowlers and the defense is top 10; even if he has a Peyton like decline, we still could eek one out

Peyton couldn’t throw with velocity after his neck surgery in 2011. He still managed to throw for 5500 Yards and 55 Touchdowns in 2013.

Brady didn’t show any decline in arm strength, even late into the season.

Barring major injuries, he could play at an elite level for at least two more years. Probably more. 

• Roy

Participant

“Are you @theknees in disguise?”

@theknees
      ‘ take on Brady: “Doesn’t love the game”

Knees’ opinion wasn’t the issue. He thought Brady was washed up. It was a legitimate opinion which turned out to be wrong. What about the Licht haters? They turned out to be wrong. Does that mean they weren’t entitled to their opinion? That wasn’t the problem with Knees. The problem was he kept trolling the board about it for weeks, post after post, thread after thread. He’s a troll. He thrived off the negative attention because that’s the only kind of attention he can get. Unlike Knees, I have a life. I don’t have time or desire to troll this board day after day.

• seekpar

Participant

I don’t know Gisele personally, but I do know she asked Brady on the field right after the Super Bowl win “What do you have left to prove?” I hope I’m wrong, but I just have a feeling she will convince him to hang em up after this season. They just bought a house in Billionaire’s Bunker in Miami, demolishing the current house, and building their dream home. Maybe the builders finish just in time for the conclusion of the 2021 season?

• Runole

Participant

I don’t know Gisele personally, but I do know she asked Brady on the field right after the Super Bowl win “What do you have left to prove?” I hope I’m wrong, but I just have a feeling she will convince him to hang em up after this season. They just bought a house in Billionaire’s Bunker in Miami, demolishing the current house, and building their dream home. Maybe the builders finish just in time for the conclusion of the 2021 season?

So why did Brady extend his contract?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

Because it gave the Buc’s over $19M in cap space.

• Runole

Participant

true but do you think that is the only reason? Did Brady ever say “I am only extending my contract to free up cap because I have no intention playing past 2021” Can you link such a quote?

• tbbucs0233

Participant

First of all we got a freaking super bowl with Brady so if Father Time slaps him across the face this year, we still killed it with the signing.

When it comes to how much longer he will play its pretty simple in my eyes. This is his last year unless we repeat. If that happens he comes back for a final year to try and win the elusive 3-peat. At that point he would walk off into the sunset while giving the entire NFL the middle finger.

• BucsSavant

Participant

I do remember reading something about how part of the the contract extension was Brady giving confirmation he would play through the 2022 season…which would mean he plays until 45 like he apparently has always wanted to. Obviously this is dependent on a lot of factors, and nothing set in stone, but barring injury this scenario wouldn’t surprise me.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

He will likely miss a couple games this year… just statistically likely.

That’s why I’m glad we re-signed Gabbert. I think he can, with our weapons, win a couple games in a pinch.

The good news is: We don’t have Jameis Winston throwing knuckle balls. And we get to play him twice.

• obuc

Participant

I’ve never seen Brady throw with his knee. But if he does, ill watch for slippage.

You will notice that Brady doesnt run. If he sees the protection break down he goes down on his own and takes the sack.

This team started winning when they stopped the penalties. The last 10 games the offense got 10 penalties total. They know what they have to do now. If they can protect brady and not take penalties, we will be fine. Besides, they have bernard for blitzing situations. Brady will have his outlet. I actually hope we see bernard and darden in there on blitzing situations.

• Roy

Participant

true but do you think that is the only reason? Did Brady ever say “I am only extending my contract to free up cap because I have no intention playing past 2021” Can you link such a quote?

Right now I don’t think Brady intends to retire after this season. I think the injuries could catch up to him finally, but that isn’t in his mind right now. If he’s limping around at the end of the year, or dealing with broken ribs or a bad knee or a shoulder or whatever…well its one thing to power through it this year to go for the Superbowl, but its another thing to put in for more punishment in 2022.

As for the cap hit, of course there would be a cap hit if he retires after 2021. That cap hit could be spread out over two years with a post 6/1 move and it would be substantial but not crippling. But that’s the price of only having a $10 mil cap hit for Brady this year so we could sign our FAs and “run it back” in 2021. Compare that to a $37 mil cap hit this year for Aaron Rodgers. The Bucs pushed the money into the future. They know as well as anyone that they might have to pay the piper even if Brady isn’t suiting up in 2022. I don’t too many are going to be highly critical of that move. They shouldn’t be. Just remember next year, if we do have dead Brady money on the cap, that he only counted $10 mil this year.

Again, I’m really not trying to be negative Nellie. As a previous poster said, we already hit the jackpot and we are getting a Year 2. I’m just encouraging people to take it all in this year and enjoy it for what we have, because it might be all we get. People are a little overconfident about his ability to continue to defy Father Time. Even getting a 2nd year of Tom Brady is more than a lot of people expected when he signed on here.

• Runole

Participant

Right now I don’t think Brady intends to retire after this season. I think the injuries could catch up to him finally, but that isn’t in his mind right now. If he’s limping around at the end of the year, or dealing with broken ribs or a bad knee or a shoulder or whatever…well its one thing to power through it this year to go for the Superbowl, but its another thing to put in for more punishment in 2022.

As for the cap hit, of course there would be a cap hit if he retires after 2021. That cap hit could be spread out over two years with a post 6/1 move and it would be substantial but not crippling. But that’s the price of only having a $10 mil cap hit for Brady this year so we could sign our FAs and “run it back” in 2021. Compare that to a $37 mil cap hit this year for Aaron Rodgers. The Bucs pushed the money into the future. They know as well as anyone that they might have to pay the piper even if Brady isn’t suiting up in 2022. I don’t too many are going to be highly critical of that move. They shouldn’t be. Just remember next year, if we do have dead Brady money on the cap, that he only counted $10 mil this year.

Again, I’m really not trying to be negative Nellie. As a previous poster said, we already hit the jackpot and we are getting a Year 2. I’m just encouraging people to take it all in this year and enjoy it for what we have, because it might be all we get. People are a little overconfident about his ability to continue to defy Father Time. Even getting a 2nd year of Tom Brady is more than a lot of people expected when he signed on here.

Anyone can choose to be an Optimist, Pessimist, or Cynic for the future.
      I choose to be optimistic. It is as simple as that.

• Roy

Participant

Anyone can choose to be an Optimist, Pessimist, or Cynic for the future.
      I choose to be optimistic. It is as simple as that.

You got it all wrong. You can choose to see what’s there, whatever that may be. If it looked to me that Brady would go another five years I’d say that. I took a lot of grief for defending Jason Licht a while back, or at least people saw me as defending him. Did that make me an optimist? I wouldn’t say so. If I see an asteroid is about to hit Tampa Bay, does that make me a cynic? I’m just telling you how I see it.

• Bschucher

Participant

Why is realistic somehow always synonymous with negative??? Realistic can certainly be positive as well. The ‘realistic” outlook this year is absolutely positive.

• Roy

Participant

I guess if I was a coach and I told the players to be realistic then I wouldn’t be a very good coach. But this is a fans board and we aren’t playing the games, only watching and talking about next season. I’m not at the game. If I’m at the game then I’ll be cheering. But I’m just posting on the board, so I don’t think I need to be waving pom poms to be a good Bucs fan. But OK if it will make you happy.. Yay we’re going 17-0 this year!

I’m not trying to say Brady won’t make it through the year. I’m trying to say that he may get banged up enough during the year that he will call it quits after the year. Hopefully, we can squeeze another Superbowl win out of him before he goes. It is a less favorable prediction than those who think he’s going to play until he’s 47 or 50. I don’t think having an overly optimistic outlook is the mark of being a good fan. I can still cheer for my team when they are playing the games and I’ll be happy to be wrong.

I’ll leave you with a quote from another realist. You may have heard of him: Mark Cook. He manages to stay a Bucs fan even while dishing out a dose of realism.

“If you are a long-time sports fan you already know. The good times seem to take forever to get here but then burn away faster than a piece of stray Chinese rocket as it enters back to Earth. Soak it in, Bucs fans. Enjoy the ride and savor every moment. Don’t take a second for granted.”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by Roy.

• Runole

Participant

Why is realistic somehow always synonymous with negative??? Realistic can certainly be positive as well. The ‘realistic” outlook this year is absolutely positive.

Amen! It is odd that those that are pessimistic or cynical always claim they are realistic. With all the issues the Bucs faced last year they faced the same negativity “reality”?
      Oops! Their reality was 100 % wrong!!!

One makes a choice on what side of the fence one resides. Ever wonder why those that are optimistic/proactive always seem to be successful?

• Roy

Participant

Amen! It is odd that those that are pessimistic or cynical always claim they are realistic. With all the issues the Bucs faced last year they faced the same negativity “reality”?

One makes a choice on what side of the fence one resides. Ever wonder why those that are optimistic/proactive always seem to be successful?

Was I one of the negative people last year? No. If I was negative all the time, then you would have a good point. But I’m not, so you don’t. And I’m not even being negative about this year. I’m not making any implications about that. We have as good a chance as anybody.

• Runole

Participant

Was I one of the negative people last year? No. If I was negative all the time, then you would have a good point. But I’m not, so you don’t. And I’m not even being negative about this year. I’m not making any implications about that. We have as good a chance as anybody.

So worrying about father time is being optimistic? YEH RIGHT. LOL

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

I think the only way Brady retires after 2021 is if we do repeat. Would he want to come back for a chance at a threepeat? I have no doubt. But going out on top 2 years in a row on a new team would be very tempting indeed.

If it were upto him he’d play til he’s 50. Theres no doubt father time remains undefeated(& always will) but he isnt coming for TB12. At least not this year!

• Roy

Participant

I think the only way Brady retires after 2021 is if we do repeat. Would he want to come back for a chance at a threepeat? I have no doubt. But going out on top 2 years in a row on a new team would be very tempting indeed.

If it were upto him he’d play til he’s 50. Theres no doubt father time remains undefeated(& always will) but he isnt coming for TB12. At least not this year!

I agree Brady will stick it out this season barring a major injury because he’s made that commitment to the team and to himself.

But I don’t see Brady pulling a Drew Brees and keeping the team in limbo for months while he tries to make up his mind. After this season, and its just my prediction that its going to be one with some physical struggles, he’s going to make a decision. Either that decision will be to retire or move forward for another year. But I don’t think he’s going to hem and haw about it like Brees did.

Brady is too high profile of a guy, and the NFL doesn’t need to spend three months of the offseason with Brady debating whether he wants to retire or not. We don’t need that. The NFL doesn’t need that. America doesn’t need that. I’d like to think that when the season is over he’s going to make a quick decision one way or another.

And since I’m allegedly the bad news guy, I’ll give you the worst news. The odds of the Bucs winning the Superbowl are 7 to 1. Those are very good odds! Only the Chiefs have slightly better odds. but that still means its much more likely that we don’t win the Superbowl again. Its obviously a tough road for every team to win a Superbowl. But I also make the easy prediction that the Bucs will play some good football and it will be a fun season for the fans. I predict we won’t think “here we go again” when Jameis Winston throws a pick six in the first quarter. The Bucs will give it a good run this season, and if we get it done in the end that’s great. But I’m not going to be the one wailing and moaning if it doesn’t happen.

• Runole

Participant

Brees decision was made for him with cracked ribs last season at the age of 42. That is the price you can pay for scrambling and opening you up for harder hits.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.