Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 26 reply threads

• Author

• spurzo

Participant

First of all I am totally opposed to trading up.  But there is a very real chance that Tunsil slides down to #6 at the Ravens.  If the Titans pass on him, which I don’t believe will happen, the slide is on.At #2 the Browns likely take a qb but also pay Joe Thomas the 3rd highest LT contract in the league through to 2018.  Them not signing Mitchell Schwartz means they are unlikely to want to pay another tackle like Tunsil a very similar contract to Schwartz to play RT.At #3 Chargers signed King Dunlap to a new contract in 2014 at 7mil per that runs through to 2018 and a couple weeks ago gave Joe Barksdale a new contract that pays him 5.5 per.  Seems unlikely that they would be able to pay Tunsil as well.At #4 As enticing as it may be for Jerry to put together the greatest o-line ever they did just re-up Doug Free last year to a new three year contract at 5 mil per.  I doubt that they would take Tunsil.At #5 Jax has to protect Bortles but they just signed Kelvin Beachum to a new contract that pays him 9 mil per.  It is a weird contract and they could cut him next year without much issue but still seems like a poor allocation of resources since they will pay him this year and Jeremy Parnell (6.5per) and Luke Joeckel 6 mil this year. Maybe they would just eat it and draft Tunsil but they do apparently want to draft defense and that could mean passing on Myles Jack or Bosa.At #6 Ozzie would probably laugh and dance to the podium to take one of the drafts 2 or 3 best players.  I wonder what it would cost to trade with Jax in this scenario??  If it was our 1st and 2nd to give us super talented bookend tackles with Smith kicking over to RT and Tunsil taking over at LT, it would be tempting.  In terms of draft capital it would have cost us a 1st and two 2nd's to give us the best young tackle tandem protecting Jameis.  It's a weak draft at the top this year and we would have basically completed our goal of protecting Jameis for the foreseeable future.  This is probably the only trade up scenario in the first round that I'd be happy with.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we could talk them down to a first and second OR a first, second and third next year, it creates this scenario: trade Glennon and then go D, WR or D, WR or D. Amazing possibilities.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think Jerry Jones would draft him

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Tunsil is his kind of player IMO

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d keep my picks and just draft Stanley at 9.

Please wait…

• rpratto

Participant

We are not drafting an O-Lineman with our first pick.  Other needs are more pressing.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We are not drafting an O-Lineman with our first pick.  Other needs are more pressing.

I agree. Licht just drafted a left tackle and RG last year. He signed a new starting LG. Haeley is the C. Dotson is a top notch player at RT. RT can be drafted for later in the draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I DGAF who is there …. we better sit and wait for a player to fall to us. If we are involved in any trade, it should be a trade down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If they feel like Stanley is BPA at #9, there is no reason not to draft him. There's no reason to reach for lesser talent simply because it fills a need. Especially, if O-Line is still a need. If you want to reach for one of these DE's, then pick up the phones and start working on a trade back.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But there is a very real chance that Tunsil slides down to #6 at the Ravens.

If think when you say "very real" you mean "very small"

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

protecting your franchise QB and helping your run game is always the most pressing need.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I agree. Licht just drafted a left tackle and RG last year. He signed a new starting LG. Haeley is the C. Dotson is a top notch player at RT. RT can be drafted for later in the draft.

Doesn't mean that Smith is the long term answer at LT. We definitely shouldn't trade up, but if there is a LT prospect there that you feel great about, take him and play Smith elsewhere. It's not as if Smith was all that great last year. If Glennon had been QB, most of the fanbase would be clamoring for a new LT, but Winston's pocket awareness and athleticism saved Smith from looking like a bum at moments last year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I tell you, this place on draft day is going to be hilarious. Last year it was Winston/Mariota and that was a lot of fun….but this year, it seems like everyone is on a different page. I think at least 20 posters will swear off the Buccaneers forever, only to be back under a different alias within the week.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I tell you, this place on draft day is going to be hilarious. Last year it was Winston/Mariota and that was a lot of fun....but this year, it seems like everyone is on a different page. I think at least 20 posters will swear off the Buccaneers forever, only to be back under a different alias within the week.

Haha I did say it was a WEIRD scenario. I'd prefer we sit at 9 and take Shaq Lawson (or whoever like has on top of his big board), but getting one of the best talents in the draft at a spot that would greatly help Jameis would be okay IMO.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Tunsil is there, you take him. That’s all there is to it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Doesn't mean that Smith is the long term answer at LT. We definitely shouldn't trade up, but if there is a LT prospect there that you feel great about, take him and play Smith elsewhere. It's not as if Smith was all that great last year. If Glennon had been QB, most of the fanbase would be clamoring for a new LT, but Winston's pocket awareness and athleticism saved Smith from looking like a bum at moments last year.

Smith was a rookie last year and while I never thought he was a legit LT prospect, Licht surely did. Lcht is not suddenly going to change his mind I don't think especially when starting rookie OL historically don't come right in and play great.Smith may not end up being the answer at LT but I highly doubt that Licht is going to draft a LT with a premium pick two straight years. Wouldn't that be like drafting a QB in round 2 this year? If Smith can consistently protect the edge he is a way better run blocker than Tunsil IMO. So what is there to gain?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Smith was a rookie last year and while I never thought he was a legit LT prospect, Licht surely did.

By that same measurement, he also thought Collins the year before was a legit enough LT option. So much so, that he inked him to a 5 year deal. While I do like Licht and where the team is going under his GM tenure, he isn't infallible.

Licht is not suddenly going to change his mind I don't think especially when starting rookie OL historically don't come right in and play great.

It isn't a likely change, I'll grant you that, but if Tunsil is looked at as a potential 10 year Joe Thomas type LT, then it won't matter which current average-to below average player occupies the position. It would be like passing on Adrian Peterson, because you drafted a marginal RB 5th overall 2 drafts previous.

Smith may not end up being the answer at LT but I highly doubt that Licht is going to draft a LT with a premium pick two straight years.

It's doubtful this happens, sure. A lot would have to factor into a LT being taken, but unless you have an excellent player at a given position, it shouldn't matter what player is currently on the roster and what resources were used to acquire them. What matters is how the FO feels about Tunsil. If he is there and is viewed as a slam dunk, then he has to be an option. That's my point. 

Wouldn't that be like drafting a QB in round 2 this year?

No.

If Smith can consistently protect the edge he is a way better run blocker than Tunsil IMO. So what is there to gain?

Big "if" at this point. No one can say what exactly there is to be gained, as Tunsil has not played an NFL down at this point. The point is, if the scouts and coaches feel that there could be a much higher ceiling and that there is much to be gained, then he needs to remain on the big board at #9.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree about drafting a LT with our 1st rounder. I would not do it. Even if I kept Tunsil on my board he would not very likely be BPA at No.9.Lets flip the scenario around. Carson Wentz falls to our 2nd round pick and he is your highest rated player. Do you draft him?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No, because there’s only one QB.  Two OTs. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if I kept Tunsil on my board he would not very likely be BPA at No.9.

You should piss gasoline on that board and toss a torch on it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Goldson:The point is: Did D. Smith play well enough to protect Winston against really good teams who have elite right edge rushers.I feel he fell short and that the Bucs have to improve at LT to play well against the top teams.I also feel that pass-pro is very important for that position. Run blocking is important, but over-riding is pass pro.  To be good at pass-pro the OT has to be quick with his feet, which is tough to find in a big man.Now D. Smith is young which makes me wonder, can he improve?  If he has quick feet he can improve---certainly he, himself, mentioned that he was not satisfied with his performance and intended to work on improving this off season.Whether D. Smith can develop into an upper caliber LT, I assume the coaches are in a better position to know.But 2 or 3 years from now, I would be delighted to have Stanley at LT and D. Smith at RT

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I disagree about drafting a LT with our 1st rounder. I would not do it. Even if I kept Tunsil on my board he would not very likely be BPA at No.9.Lets flip the scenario around. Carson Wentz falls to our 2nd round pick and he is your highest rated player. Do you draft him?

you have 9 players rated over tunsil?  Worst case scenario I play tunsil at RT.I'd bypass wentz.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

you have 9 players rated over tunsil?  Worst case scenario I play tunsil at RT.I'd bypass wentz.

Here is my top 10 currently. There is little chance Tunsil would be the top rated player at No.9. Of course you have to factor in value which this list does not. Bucs Top 101- Myles Jack2- Vernon Butler3- Noah Spence4- Laquon Treadwell5- Deforest Buckner6- Laremy Tunsil7- Josh Doctson8- Jack Conklin9- William Jackson10- Jalen RamseyAs far as RT goes I would prefer Germain Ifedi over Tunsil in the 2-3rd round if he makes it that far. I am not smitten with Tunsil

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lets flip the scenario around. Carson Wentz falls to our 2nd round pick and he is your highest rated player. Do you draft him?

To compare those two scenarios is incredibly flawed. The answer is obviously no, because there is a much higher ceiling and potential for Winston. Also, if you deafted Tunsil, you could still possibly find a place for Smith on the line. The probability of Tunsil being an upgrade over Smith is pretty high because Smith wasn't all that good. The same can't be said for Jameis in comparison to a QB in this draft.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lets flip the scenario around. Carson Wentz falls to our 2nd round pick and he is your highest rated player. Do you draft him?

To compare those two scenarios is incredibly flawed. The answer is obviously no, because there is a much higher ceiling and potential for Winston. Also, if you deafted Tunsil, you could still possibly find a place for Smith on the line. The probability of Tunsil being an upgrade over Smith is pretty high because Smith wasn't all that good. The same can't be said for Jameis in comparison to a QB in this draft.

Not to mention, there are always two OT's on the field.  The same can't be said for the QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the big difference is that I really like DSmith as a football player. I thought he would be a guard  and he was my No.1 rated guard. I figured he was a multiple Pro Bowl type guard prospect. If he can play LT all the better. I like his upside over Tunsil due to his physicality.I think the reasoning behind your thinking is also flawed. You opined that Tunsil would likely be an upgrade over Smith because Smith wasn't all that good his rookie year. Rookies are rarely very good in their rookie years. The list of rookie LT's who played poorly is about 100x longer than the list of rookie LT's who played great. Based on the fact that the vast majority of these players play poorly as rookies the chances of Tunsil coming in and playing great are very slim. Also, DSmith may not have played great last year overall but he did have some very good games and he showed flashes of dominant play. Plug in the Houston game from last year. He was pretty good in several games. As far as Tunsil goes if you think he is going to come in and play great as a rookie I believe you are going to be disappointed. He is a good prospect but I believe he will struggle as a rookie just like the other 99.9% of rookie LT's struggle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I think the reasoning behind your thinking is also flawed. You opined that Tunsil would likely be an upgrade over Smith because Smith wasn't all that good his rookie year.

Simply put, he would be a better option because he would most likely step in and play better immediately than what we say from Smith last year(which isn't that high of a bar), and because his ceiling is supposedly higher. It isn't about Smith being average to below average his rookie year. It's about how both of their career's project going forward. There will be a fundamental disagreement between us here, because we are on opposite ends regarding the prospects. I like Tunsil as a prospect and you don't seem to think he is as good as advertised. You like Smith and see him potentially being the guy at LT for the time being, and I have little confidence in his ability. That's fine, but my stance isn't to just replace Smith because he wasn't Joe Thomas in year one. It's that if you see a guy who is a significant upgrade not only in the immediate, but also the long term, then you don't hesitate replacing him.

Based on the fact that the vast majority of these players play poorly as rookies the chances of Tunsil coming in and playing great are very slim. Also, DSmith may not have played great last year overall but he did have some very good games and he showed flashes of dominant play. Plug in the Houston game from last year. He was pretty good in several games. As far as Tunsil goes if you think he is going to come in and play great as a rookie I believe you are going to be disappointed. He is a good prospect but I believe he will struggle as a rookie just like the other 99.9% of rookie LT's struggle.

To further hit on the first part of this response, it's not about Tunsil coming in and being great on his first snap. That wouldn't be my expectation, nor should it be anyone else's. To me though, Tunsil does represent a significant enough upgrade to the position, that at least warrants consideration. I don't see him being great in year one, but I do see him having a better career in the immediate and the long term compared to Smith.

Please wait…

Viewing 26 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.