Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 11 reply threads

• Author

• Roy

Participant

I’m guessing the Bucs focus now is on creating some cap space to get the rest of their FAs signed. They can do that with Smith, Jensen, Brate. I suspect our FAs already have deals, just waiting for the cap space to be created.

But one player who probably won’t be revising his contract is injury prone OJ Howard, at a price tag of $6 mil. If he’s cut loose he’ll do just fine as a FA, but for the Bucs, he’s surplus. OJ just can’t stay healthy. Its a question of priorities.

Fact is, the Bucs can make better use of $6 mil than to pay OJ Howard, and that’s reason enough to cut him.

Aside from re-signing current Bucs, what players could be brought in using Howard’s $6 mil in cap space? How about…

Jadeveon Clowney. Could he be worked into a two or three year deal? I think he could, and I think you could find creative ways to get him in the lineup in 2021, while in 2022 JPP will probably be retiring.

Sammy Watkins WR. If Brown is not coming back, why not get Watkins? He’s a solid vet with playoff experience who doesn’t demand a lot of passes. He’d be better off as a #3 WR with his durability issues.

Richard Sherman CB. Again, like Clowney, use a little creativity and fit him in somewhere! Come on Bowles. This is a good problem to have. Get creative!

WR Willie Snead. This guy just gets open and catches passes.

Malcolm Butler, CB, Kareem Jackson, S, Keanu Neal, S, James White, RB, , Lawrence Guy DL, John Miller, G, QB CJ Beathard, Jordan Jenkins Edge, G DJ Fluker. A couple of these guys probably already have deals. Who knows. But there are a lot of players out there who could benefit the Bucs, providing needed depth for a 17 game season. Why gamble $6 mil that Howard can stay healthy?

• mjs020294

Participant

No real reason to cut Howard. They can restructure one or two contracts to create cap space. Evans contract could be reworked to free up over $10 million next year.

• TCB2W!

Participant

I have a reason to cut Howard. He has missed over a third of the games he has been on our roster. What is the point of paying him 6 million for 10 games? He has never played more than 14 games in a season. We had to play 20 this year.

• ryan24

Participant

Howard’s money is guaranteed so cutting him accomplishes nothing unless a dead cap hit is your thing.

He’d have to be traded in order to clear cap space with him. Coming off an Achilles injury…unlikely.

• Roy

Participant

Yes the money is guaranteed. I think they could trade him for a late round pick.

• ryan24

Participant

Yes the money is guaranteed. I think they could trade him for a late round pick.

Well..you didn’t know they couldn’t cut him and gain cap space so it’s not surprising you’d think there’s a team which would give up any draft capital to pick up $6mil of cap money in a down cap year for a guy coming off a serious achilles injury.

Very unlikely

• DEBUCSOWN

Participant

Brate being cut is more likely & realistic then howard.

Saves 6.5 mil to boot.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Feels like we have seen huge flashes of talent and then he gets hammered with the injury bug.

I’m for keeping talent for depth. Guys get hurt. Gronk gets dinged up, and it’s Brate. And Hudson. Auclair?

Keep OJ.

And draft for depth along the lines, keep the defense loaded.

I would draft defense heavy and mine for talent, while shoring up the ranks. They are going to have to it guys to keep a winning tradition going…

• Swash

Participant

Not only is Howard’s contract fully guaranteed (he’d have to be traded). He is a more valuable player than Brate (despite the injuries). The Bucs have complete leverage in Brate’s situation, as I highly doubt he would get more than 3 milli on the open market. I’d like to see Brate return, but we need to get his cap number down for next year.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Anyone that thinks Brate is worth keeping at his value, while cutting Howard at a similar cost… has no real understanding of the value a true TE brings.

Howard is like Gronk. Two-way player.

Brate is much more replaceable… Hudson has the same skillset.

If we are cutting a TE, it is clearly Brate… and yes I know Brate was good for us during the run, but he is one dimensional.

Howard is 10× the talent, just needs to stay healthy.

People called Gronk injury prone too

• TCB2W!

Participant

You say Gronk was injury prone. He missed 1/6th of the games in his career due to injury. That’s a far cry from nearly 40%.

• Boid Fink

Participant

Agreed. Brate is useless as an inline blocker. I mean he gets overwhelmed. So he doesn’t do it hardly ever thank god.

• Roy

Participant

Anyone that thinks Brate is worth keeping at his value, while cutting Howard at a similar cost… has no real understanding of the value a true TE brings.

Howard is like Gronk. Two-way player.

Brate is much more replaceable… Hudson has the same skillset.

If we are cutting a TE, it is clearly Brate… and yes I know Brate was good for us during the run, but he is one dimensional.

Howard is 10× the talent, just needs to stay healthy.

People called Gronk injury prone too

Brate will have to redo his contract at a lower amount I suspect. I think the Bucs could draft a TE in the 2nd or 3rd round and get decent #2 TE production for a bargain basement price. Or there will be veteran TEs out there.

Of course don’t get me wrong if Howard could stay healthy he’d be well worth the $6 million. He’s a good player, he works hard and has tons of talent. But its just time to cut bait with this guy. You don’t stay in a hand trying to hit an inside straight, and it doesn’t matter how much money you already put in the pot. Get out. That’s the situation we’re in here.

So am I saying other teams are stupider than us? No. There will be other teams who don’t have a legit #1 TE and will need help. We have Gronk. Another team may be willing to dump off a 7th round pick to take a one year gamble on Howard. Colts? Titans? We get next to nothing back, but we get the opportunity to pick up desperately needed depth at other positions.

• BucBalla85

Participant

Howard for a 7th is awful value. I’d rather see what we have in him for a year than give him away for a 7th. He could be a stud and over his injuries then we would look back on that as giving him away for a 7th. Even if he gets injured his perceived value should be higher than a 7th. However I do see how it can be tricky to decide between Brate and Howard. I trust Brate but love the potential on Howard. I would rather keep both to be honest because Gronk also has the injury history. Can we try to get the money elsewhere?

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.