Viewing 17 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

What do the Bucs have against nose tackles? May 22 2014, 4:14pm nix_zps185662ed.jpgI was rooting for Louis Nix in the draft. When he fell out of the 1st round I was salivating. Sure he's a rare size Nose Tackle, but also one who has showed plenty of burst in pursuit when given a bit of space. I thought...Lovie is going to put his stamp on this team with a defensive pick. I thought...Leslie had the Williams Wall with the Vikings....I thought...we've got 5 DEs pretty set on the roster, but only three DTs and one of them is never going to be more than a one gap space holder. McCoy in every play and the other two can rotate with the added benefit of being able to move McDonald over if something happens to McCoy. Well obviously no team liked Nix as much as I did, and I don't necessarily want to get into a whole thing about him specifically, but we haven't often put much value on that position. We spent a first round pick on Booger and that was a key cog in our glory years team. I suppose we argue that Price was an attempt at that guy recently, but I always kind of interpreted the Double, double down of DTs and Receivers in that draft as sort of a "...we have nothing at these position groups and we can't afford to come away with nothing. So we take two of each and if both work out - great. If not then we at least have one." Price was a rush tackle like McCoy, not a real NT. When is the last time we had anything resembling a real NT on the field? Don't tell me it can't work with Tampa style D Schemes because Leslie did it with Pat Williams who was already in his 30s when he joined the Vikings. If the basic idea of our scheme is to blitz less and generate pressure with Defensive front, then all four of those guys should be premium talent positions. There just aren't many legit 320+ guys with quick feet certainly, but we never seem to target them when they come along. Why? I've noticed that what a lot of teams do to massive NTs is just leave them unblocked when they're moving the play away from them. Any type of sweep or rollout play they just take that blocker and pull them out to lead block or double team someone else. Obviously we can't use a guy that has no capacity to run in pursuit, at least in a short area, but I want you to imagine McCoy next Wilfork in his prime and tell me that wouldn't transform our franchise. They would blow up the interior of the pocket on every play. The DEs would be better, the secondary would be better.poll_zps5dc2a83a.gifhttp://www.bucsnation.com/2014/5/22/5742610/what-do-we-have-against-nose-tackles

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We really don’t know how they felt about Nix. He might have been the pick if ASJ isn’t there. I believe that Lovie realized how truly bare his cupboard was with playmakers. I wouldn’t have been against the Nix pick, but I’m glad we have ASJ now.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If we were going defense it would have HAD to be Van Noy. We dont need a big 3-4 NT unless we are employing 3 man fronts. Raheem and Schiano could have used one of these guys. It was miserable watching them employ 3 man fronts without a 3-4 NT. Its a big reason why their defenses sucked.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booger was a key cog during the glory years?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booger was a key cog during the glory years?

I lol'd.He is a player who was exactly like Brian Price. Neither guy had that explosive get off so they go in really low and try to squeeze through the LOS. That may work in college but in the NFL that play ends in a faceplant the majority of the time. Aaron Donald is going to be awesome. He is the real deal.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Our lack of playmaking on O was a much bigger issue than any NT coulda compensated for. And, I think Spence will be a much more effective player in Frazier’s D than he was in Sheridan’s…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There is a usually a trade off between quick and big. Players who don’t make that tradeoff get drafted really, really, really high. We need quick because if they do not get into a gap they are useless.  Nix isn’t quick and so he’s not able to do the job in this defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t think Nix is the player the author thinks he is. If he was, he would have been drafted higher.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Folks,  it’s the offense, not defense. Our offense was bad, really bad last year. We have much more room to improve on offense than we do on defense. A 1st or 2nd round pick on a NT, while it might help our defense slightly, is a ridiculous thought considering the shape our offense was in. L&L made a smart move by going with ball handlers in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds. We needed desperately another starting caliber WR, we needed desperately a legit TE (I love me some Wright but he is a match up, not a dominating force) and we need a RB who can catch the ball. We also added a straight up speedster for slot competition. I was all over L&L for getting rid of Williams. This draft softens the blow, if and only if, these guys play close to what most analysts believe they can.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Ryan Sims. I was scared every time the other team ran the ball.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember a lot of folks wanted to see what Vince Wilfork could do in this defense back in the day

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I remember a lot of folks wanted to see what Vince Wilfork could do in this defense back in the day

Yeah but Wilfork, at a slightly slimmer weight was a guy who could combine speed and size. That's the thing, no one would pass up a 320 lbs guy who can do what McCoy does....but guys that size don't move that fast.This article would be akin to asking a 2 gap 34 team what they have against smaller tackles and arguing that they should be able to make use of GMC.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gholston and Bowers can and have moved inside right?  They could rotate with Spence and McDonald.  Isn’t McDonald going to rotate with McCoy?  I wouldn’t assume Spence is anything more than a one gap space holder either. Let’s see what Cullen can do with him.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gholston and Bowers can and have moved inside right?  They could rotate with Spence and McDonald.  Isn't McDonald going to rotate with McCoy?  I wouldn't assume Spence is anything more than a one gap space holder either. Let's see what Cullen can do with him.

Yes. There's no law that says your big NT and your quick NT has to be the same player. It's a lot easier and cheaper to have separate players. After all, it's usually not a mystery when teams run and when they pass.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Gholston and Bowers can and have moved inside right?  They could rotate with Spence and McDonald.  Isn't McDonald going to rotate with McCoy?  I wouldn't assume Spence is anything more than a one gap space holder either. Let's see what Cullen can do with him.

Yes. There's no law that says your big NT and your quick NT has to be the same player. It's a lot easier and cheaper to have separate players. After all, it's usually not a mystery when teams run and when they pass.

That's pretty much as I see it.  Let the staff develop their rotation based on each players strengths and coach them up accordingly.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

“We spent a first round pick on Booger and that was a key cog in our glory years team.” Booger was not a NT he was an UT. He was drafted to be Sapp's replacement. Otherwise, he never would have been worth an early pick. And, as it turns out, he wasn't anyway.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bowers and Gholston only go inside on passing downs. Pretty dumb article really. As if he knows nothing about a Lovie Smith defense.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

"We spent a first round pick on Booger and that was a key cog in our glory years team." Booger was not a NT he was an UT. He was drafted to be Sapp's replacement. Otherwise, he never would have been worth an early pick. And, as it turns out, he wasn't anyway.

As least we recouped a 2nd from the Colts for Booger.  Shame it was spent on Sabby though.

Please wait…

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.