Viewing 57 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

Every NFL Team's Nightmare Scenario for 2014 By Russell S. Baxter May 23  2014The word "nightmare" has been associated with gentlemen such as Freddy Krueger and Gordon Ramsay, as both are very handy with sharp objects.But if an NFL team is to cut it every season, they need their share of talent, good coaching and a little good fortune.However, it’s only natural that something will go awry during a season. Here, we will do our best to present a worst-case scenario for each club.Perhaps we could make this easy and forecast that every starting quarterback in the league go down for the season, but you won’t even get a hint of that here.We are also not going to speculate about specific injuries that have yet to occur at other positions, either. However, if a player is trying to bounce back from a late-season injury that they suffered in 2013, that will certainly be taken into account here.Remember, these are NOT predictions. This piece simply features 32 cases of "what if," not "what will be." We can’t stress enough that these are not forecasts. We are suggesting what could go wrong while also assessing what still isn’t right.So, lock your doors and windows, and make sure you’re safe.However, you can now relax, sit back and enjoy the entire piece.night_zpse24eca1f.jpgTampa Bay BuccaneersOver the last six seasons, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers have been extremely balanced on the defensive side of the football.Over their last 96 games, the team has totaled 168 sacks and allowed 164 touchdown passes. Tampa defenders have allowed exactly 30 scores through the air in each of the past three seasons.That’s bad symmetry for a pass rush and a secondary that hopes to be much better under new head coach Lovie Smith and new defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier.Speaking of new, there were also the free-agent additions of cornerback Alterraun Verner and defensive end Michael Johnson this offseason.It’s the latter that’s the focus here. Pro Bowl defensive tackle Gerald McCoy led the Bucs with nine sacks in 2013. Johnson totaled 3.5 sacks this past season after amassing 11.5 sacks the previous season. While Johnson had a more complete year as a defender in 2013, it’s his ability to get to the opposing quarterback that most interested the Buccaneers.What if Johnson’s 2012 performance indeed proves to be the exception rather than the rule?  For every team....http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2067198-every-nfl-teams-nightmare-scenario-for-2014

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mine would be, McCown gets hurt in game 1. And Glennon looks really bad.  Then what? Put in Mr Trick Shot QB, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mine would be, McCown gets hurt in game 1. And Glennon looks really bad.  Then what? Put in Mr Trick Shot QB, whose name escapes me at the moment.

To me that is bad but it's not THE nightmare.At least if that were to happen we would know where we are at QB and need to go shopping for more.To me a far worse scenario is if for whatever reason we hit a Freeman like situation where we waste seasons waiting on a backup caliber QB finally "putting it all together" because they're young & flashed signs of having IT during 2014.Others HUGE nightmares would be...Nicks can't play, Collins can't hold up as a starter and Dotson takes a step back in his play. We think the line ould struggle as it is now, if those happen it don't matter what QB and weapons we have, the offense will go nowhere. All 3 are possible but all 3 together is very unlikelyCoach hasn't really learnt a thing from being fired and when push comes to shove all his words take a backseat to his core beliefs and we get his Chicago style offensive output. I actually wouldn't bet on or against this, it's maybe my biggest question mark going into the season.Obviously the Johnson issue in the OP.After all the hype if none of the rookies make an impact in any way. We're depending on far too many rookies to not flame out in 2014 for my liking.The the epic scenario...ALL of the above happens at once.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCown looks like the QB he was outside those 6 games last year.  You know, like he looked for his first 12 years.  Not exactly a crazy thought.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

MRSA

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown getting hurt. Or Evans.

Please wait…

• vlagatta

“Nightmare scenario”  That’s a tall order.  Nightmare to me would be something like the team plane going down.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We would be pretty hard pressed to have worse seasons than we did in 2009, 2011, and 2013.  There shouldn’t be much that could possibly scare a Buc fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nightmare Scenario would be both our QBs are horrible but we win enough meaningless games to where we miss out on a very high pick and the opportunity to select Mariota.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All-Terrain Vehicle has a blowout, leaving us with Banks and a bunch of ??? for starting CBs against some of the NFL’s most elite WRs…. And we’re already iffy enough at S just with our starters…   On offense, if Evan Dietrich-Smith goes down, who plays C? Jace Daniels? I actually liked this UDFA last pre-season as a LT, but we'd all be holding our breathe if he had to start, I suspect...    

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For me, its McCoy and David getting put on IR before the start of the season.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If McCown looks like the QB he was outside those 6 games last year.  You know, like he looked for his first 12 years.  Not exactly a crazy thought.

Its possible, but nightmare situation?  If that happened, throw Glennon in there and see how the season shakes out.  Then after the season, at least you know what you have in the G-man.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Losing would be a nightmare scenario.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

TV blackouts.I can handle all kinds of bad as long as I can see it without having to actually show up in person.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

To all intents and purposes we added 1 piece to the defensive puzzle. In the last number of years getting the defense off the field has been the biggest problem IMO. The worst case scenario for me is whatever scheme Lovie has brought in doesn’t work with the players we have. It doesn’t matter how many new toys you brought in if they are sitting on the bench spectating.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

:'(  just thew up in my mouth

Please wait…

• shanesnyder

Participant

:'(  just thew up in my mouth

+1

Please wait…

• buccjeff

Participant

We get embarrassed in the Super Bowl like Denver did last

Please wait…

• jamesh

Participant

Team plane goes down on the way to the first preseason away game.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

6-10 or worse.

Please wait…

• bigbucsfan

Participant

If the Glazers traded the Bucs to Donald Sterling for the Clippers.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

We get embarrassed in the Super Bowl like Denver did last

Offer me the Superbowl and I'll take it...regardless of score. That means we win a shitload of games this year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie starts the season 0-8. The team is in complete disarray. They bring Schiano back midseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nightmare Scenario would be both our QBs are horrible but we win enough meaningless games to where we miss out on a very high pick and the opportunity to select Mariota.

+1 Please say that a little louder, thanks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The team makes McCoy the highest paid DT in the game, then he blows his ACL in the preseason.

Please wait…

• captainduwayne

Participant

cutting Eric Page then he gets picked up by Carolina only to embarrass us 2 times a year for the next 8 years >:(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I was going to joke that Vinny T and Ricky Proehl both sign with the Bucs week 17 opponent, and they light the Bucs up to knock them out of playoff contention…. then I realized the  Saints are that team, so I was going to say week 16 elimination, but that’s the Packers.—If Vinny T and Proehl are signed by either the Pack or Saints, that would be their nightmare situation more-so then the Bucs

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano gets re-hired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The team makes McCoy the highest paid DT in the game,

Could have just stopped right there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

McCown looks like garbage, season is lost so we turn to Glennon who looks even worse. Meanwhile JFF looks like the second coming of Steve Young.Also, Nicks is on IR again, our Guards look like a revolving door and Sims, the RB from WVA, averages <3 touches a game and we are left wondering why a guard wasn't taken in the 3rd.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

a complete nightmare would be losing to the panthers, or saints or falcons eff them in their eh-holes

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

or mccown gets hurt, gleenon goes down and the bucs bring in sanchez or freeturd

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

or radio morris stops by the club and gets all the new good guys to smash the bong with him and get higher than a mofugger

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Radio , lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If someone actually puts real cannonballs in the ship or they bring back playing Gangnam Style at EVERY SINGLE BREAK in the action    ! ! ! ! !

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Lovie contracts MRSA.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’m not into Jinxing the $H*T out of my Squad prior to the season! But, there is some horrible events that if they happened could dump a steaming bucket of crap on our parade!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Glennon starts week 1, looks good for a few games and then goes on IR.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If someone actually puts real cannonballs in the ship

LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Forget firing the cannons. Sound the alarms!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Forget firing the cannons. Sound the alarms!

McCown has looked pretty good, so I think Glennon's chances of starting are slim to none. I think his only shot would be a McCown injury or the team is totally out of contention heading into the 2nd half of the season.

Please wait…

• ptbucs

Participant

If Josh McCown had any real sustainable talent, don’t you think it would have manifested itself at some point during his first decade in professional football?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Capt fear does his best impression of jerry sandusky.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

JDub becomes director of scouting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Josh McCown had any real sustainable talent, don't you think it would have manifested itself at some point during his first decade in professional football?

What if Trent Green never got hurt in St. Louis? Would we know who Kurt Warner was? What is Warner never declined and opened the door for Marc Bulger? Would we know who he was? The vast majority of teams know who their QB is going to be before training camp. It's not always easy for a backup to find the right opportunity to assert himself.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Josh McCown had any real sustainable talent, don't you think it would have manifested itself at some point during his first decade in professional football?

Any other position, yes. QB, no. Coaches are finicky about QB and only want "their guy".

Please wait…

• Bucfan7

Participant

This.McCown seems like a very nice gentleman and is far from being Rob Johnson. But this doesn't appear to be a guy who was stuck in situations where he wasn't given a chance or where had to sit behind a hall of famer or something.He was the starter in Arizona in 2004 at age 25 after two years behind Jake Plummer and Jeff Blake (of all people). His moment in 2003 was the last second touchdown pass that knocked Minnesota out of the playoffs (leading to Paul Allen's "NO! NO!" call). He got a shot when Kurt Warner didn't play that well and hurt his groin in 2005, but he didn't grab the opportunity. So they released him.So he went to Detroit and couldn't beat out 34-year-old Jon Kitna in 2006 on a team that went 3-13. He did play some receiver, though, and caught two passes. Which is nice. But the Lions drafted Drew Stanton (Drew Stanton? Seriously?) and traded him to Oakland.He was only 2-7 in an ehhh and injury-plagued year in Oakland. So he signed with Miami, where he could not beat out (wait for it) John Beck. The Dolphins traded him to Carolina, where he sat behind Jake Delhomme and Matt Moore. But, hey, he was money in the UFL! Where there was no money. At least not for the players. (Apparently he had a chance to go back to the NFL, but had given Hartford his word, and didn't think it would be right to renege on that, which is honorable, but come on, the UFL?)He was with San Francisco for less than a month in 2011 before being released and becoming a high school coach. The Bears signed him as cover late that season, and he ended up starting two games, throwing four picks. He didn't see any action in 2012, apparently being unable to beat out Jason Campbell for the #2 spot. Had it not been for his somewhat inexplicable, completely-out-of-character-for-the-rest-of-his-career performance filling in for Jay Cutler in Chicago in 2013, we're absolutely not having this conversation. You don't miraculously become a gifted quarterback at age 34, not after five other teams have decided you are not as good as Jake Plummer, Jeff Blake, Jon Kitna, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Matt Moore and Jason Campbell. Kurt Warner was 28 when Trent Green got hurt, AND he had been the leading passer in the World League. Up to that point, his career had been even less impressive than McCown's, to be sure, but I doubt very seriously we're going to see a breakout year at age 35 from McCown.All that said, the Bucs have had worse guys play the position, and some of them have even won games. If the offensive line is improved and they can rely on defense, the running game and these big receivers, he won't be counted on to be a guy who does everything himself. And as I've never been hugely impressed with Glennon, I'm guessing both of them are just here until the next guy. Whoever that is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was with San Francisco for less than a month in 2011 before being released and becoming a high school coach. The Bears signed him as cover late that season, and he ended up starting two games, throwing four picks. He didn't see any action in 2012, apparently being unable to beat out Jason Campbell for the #2 spot. Had it not been for his somewhat inexplicable, completely-out-of-character-for-the-rest-of-his-career performance filling in for Jay Cutler in Chicago in 2013, we're absolutely not having this conversation. You don't miraculously become a gifted quarterback at age 34, not after five other teams have decided you are not as good as Jake Plummer, Jeff Blake, Jon Kitna, Drew Stanton, John Beck, Matt Moore and Jason Campbell.

I've posted about this before, but McCown was better than some of the numbers would say in 2011. He completed 63.6% of his passes, up from his career high of 60.4% in 2005 and the 58.4% from the last time he got playing time in 2007. He would complete 66.5% last season. His YPA in 2011 was 7.5, also a then career high, up from 6.8 in 2005 and 6.1 in 2007. The poor TD/INT ratio killed his passer rating, but you could see that on a pass-by-pass basis, he had gotten a lot better in 2011 than he had been previously.

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

JDub becomes director of scouting.

LOL

Please wait…

• Bucfan7

Participant

I've posted about this before, but McCown was better than some of the numbers would say in 2011. He completed 63.6% of his passes, up from his career high of 60.4% in 2005 and the 58.4% from the last time he got playing time in 2007. He would complete 66.5% last season. His YPA in 2011 was 7.5, also a then career high, up from 6.8 in 2005 and 6.1 in 2007. The poor TD/INT ratio killed his passer rating, but you could see that on a pass-by-pass basis, he had gotten a lot better in 2011 than he had been previously.

It was three games, and in one of those was late mop-up duty after Caleb Hanie was terrible in a blowout loss to Seattle (and he threw a pick six on one of his two attempts). The second game was a blowout loss in Green Bay, and he went 11-14 for 107 yards and a score in the 4th quarter when they were already down 35-10 and the Packers were playing soft.And the final game was a decent one, on the road (though in Minnesota against the 3-13 Vikings with Joe Webb and Christian Ponder playing). He went 15-25 for 160, a touchdown and an interception. He only threw four balls all day that weren't short, so I would hope you could complete 60% of those. They had 12 actual drives in that game, and only three of them lasted more than five plays. He seems like a fine fellow, and we've certainly had more comically inept quarterbacks in Tampa Bay than this guy. Lovie is comfortable with him, obviously, and probably will not expect him to have to be That Type Of Guy Who Wins You Ballgames. If this is going to be a team that attempts to win with strong defense and the running game, a quarterback who won't trip over his own feet could be fine. And if he's completely terrible, at least Glennon knows how to play and can throw the ball a bit. If we get to that point, we've got bigger issues, obviously.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What if Trent Green never got hurt in St. Louis? Would we know who Kurt Warner was? What is Warner never declined and opened the door for Marc Bulger? Would we know who he was? The vast majority of teams know who their QB is going to be before training camp. It's not always easy for a backup to find the right opportunity to assert himself.

Difference is when Warner & Bulger got their shots they took advantage, McCown was given a number of shots and looked very average at best every time until that very short sample of games in Chicago where he faced very bad defenses while playing for a guy who built his name on getting the best from NFL QBs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If this is going to be a team that attempts to win with strong defense and the running game, a quarterback who won't trip over his own feet could be fine. And if he's completely terrible, at least Glennon knows how to play and can throw the ball a bit. If we get to that point, we've got bigger issues, obviously.

Drafting Evans says otherwise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh Freeman starting at QB

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh Freeman starting at QB

Annoying_no_gif.gif

Please wait…

• gobucs123

Participant

Freeman-be-like.jpg

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst case scenario for the Bucs in 2014:Fans will chant "PLAY BAD FOR MR. CRABS"Winston1.png

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Worst case scenario is lavonte or McCoy get hurt seriously were done if either of them to get hurt. Season over. Every team has 1 or 2 players it cannot lose and lavonte and McCoy are both those players for us.

Please wait…

Viewing 57 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.