Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 13 reply threads

• Author

• Boid Fink

Participant

I am browsing at the Jim Root telecaster, and decent standard player strat. Any suggestions?

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I’m not a Strat guy, but I don’t think you can go wrong with a Root Tele.

• DCGoth

Participant

I’d go with a Fender Strat, or a Les Paul if you want the heavier sound.

It just depends on if you want single pickups, humbuckers, or a mix.

I have a Fender Strat, (three single pickups), a Fender Talon, (Two Humbuckers with a single pickup in the middle, and a B.C. Rich Warlock.

They all sounds good. The important thing, imho, is the amp. Music isn’t worth listening to unless it’s so loud that you bleed from the ears. 😎

I’d rather have a beer bottle in front of me than a pre-frontal lobotomy.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

Need to know more info on what you’re looking for…

My primary electric play right now is a Japanese made telecaster. I’m not a big fan of the strat, although it is iconic.

What are you looking to play, and what type of sound?

The amp and your pedals can easily change the timbre of your guitars sound as well…

Lots of factors.

Go safe with a Tele if you don’t know what you want.

Buy American or Japanese made if you can.

• DCGoth

Participant

@firelicht2020

Most true on the Amp and pedals. You can really tweak your sound that way.

Along with my amps, I also have a Marshall Code 100. Is a fun way to really create a ton of different sounds with a ton of FX both preset and programmable.

Of course, the most important thing is that music is meant to be played ear-bleeding loud. 😎 I know I’ve fine some massive damage to my hearing, probably; however, even driving, or with headphones I only play music at full volume.

Twisted Sister summed it up nicely with their comment from Stay Hungry:

“In order to obtain maximum sensory enjoyment from the auditory representations contained herein, it is necessary to minimize load resistance through the potentiometer in one’s pre-amplification section. In other words, PLAY IT LOUD, MUTHA!” 🎸

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hey Boid, some don’t worry about their guitar as much as others as has been stated.

Others are more purists and start with the sound and versatility of their axe.

The Jim Root tele, depending on which one you’re looking at, can be versatile when you roll the volume back. But to me it’s more of a limited genre guitar, probably suit you fine if I remember your musical likes correctly.

A strat however is one of the most versatile axes ever made, is more comfortable to play and can take you to more places than a tele. Not sure of your level/ playing ability though.

^^mtn^^
      since ’76

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I have a few Les Pauls, which I love (among some of my other guitars), but my Jackson PC1 gets the most play from me by far.

I’m running it through a Line 6 Helix and a QSC K.2 monitor.

Gives me big crunchy tones when needed and fiery high tones. Harmonics absolutely scream off this setup.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d like to get my hands on a ’53 Gold top LP.

P-90s plugged straight into almost any vintage Fender tube amp ….. sweet!

• FireLicht2020

Participant

This goes without saying but your pickups are huge.

Humbucker vs single coil.

So a strat gives you that hollow, stringy sound… while an LP uses humbuck, so you get a rich sound.

It’s easy to hear… Hendrix and his blues/jazz sounds amazing with a strat. The notes whisp and slap back.

Led Zep use all sorts of guitars but a lot of Les Paul. You get a more full, layered sound.

I’m not a huge whammy bar player but if you get one you’ll want to get the Floyd Rose…

I have one on my ESP LTD… killer sound especially if you tune it down and play some crunchy metal riffs with pitch harmonics.

These humbuck are killer:
      https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AHBsBlk–seymour-duncan-ahb-1s-blackouts-active-humbucker-pickup-black-set?mrkgadid=3331287859&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=guitars&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938598060&lid=92700046938598060&ds_s_kwgid=58700005283398284&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=373151794734&product_id=AHBsBlk&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=m&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9052985&creative=332063179644&targetid=pla-373151794734&campaignid=1708733951&gclid=CjwKCAiApNSABhAlEiwANuR9YLij6jggQkbzpVuZhpFETGs2Xjd46GWe4kSLXG2paiFBOPzi_LlSJRoCN-AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Anonymous

Inactive

You can put humbuckers and P-90s in Strats & Teles that fit in the single coil openings.

They have humbucker sized P-90s as well as single coils you can put in LPs.

Seymour Duncan makes a P-rails humbucker sized pickup that does a pretty good job with humbucker, P-90 and Strat single coil sounds.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

And lastly if you can put whatever pickups you want on your guitar (obviously).

I still have my first guitar from 25 years ago which is a Les Paul standard made my epiphone. It was affordable at the time. That LP has single coil and not humbuck…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Page played a 60s Tele, actually a ’59 model that he got from Jeff Beck when they were in the Yardbirds.

Watch some late Yardbirds, early Zep live performances and you’ll see it.

He also recorded the first Zep album with that Tele.

The LPs came later and he used them on tours.

• Donkey_Hunter

Participant

I’ll take DiMarzio humbucker pickups over Seymour Duncans.

Personal preference obviously, but they are just hotter tones in my opinion.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Back in the 60s, we didn’t modify our guitars too much and we only had a limited number of pedals to choose from. The wah was popular.

In the 70s tho, many of us ripped out our stock p’ups and bought DiMarzios.

• FireLicht2020

Participant

All depends on the sound you’re going for.

I love the sound Hendrix gets out of the strat. His fx pedals work so well with single coil… like the wah and whammy.

But I’m usually a humbucker guy myself. Love a good crunchy sound.

Anyone play a mustang or jagstang or jaguar?

I always loved the look (obsessed with Kurt) but never found that I could replicate the tone he created

• DCGoth

Participant

But I’m usually a humbucker guy myself. Love a good crunchy sound.

Very true. I always loved that sounds, too. It was a tough choice, way back when, though.

In the 60s, at a young age, I learned on acoustic. I couldn’t really afford my first electric guitar until 1981. (During the 70s, I sunk all of my $$ into cars, plus I had to pay for my own tuition for high school.)

I was really conflicted; however, I went with a strat. Overexposure to Clapton was probably the main reason. I was also always amazed at how he played seeing him live. (I also sunk the rest of my $$ into concerts from the 70s through up until not too long ago. These days, I’m more picky about buying tix.)

Granted, I always loved the heavier sounds, too. I just never thought I could ever pull off the still Jimmy Page could do on stage. (I still can’t, but I love the sound.)

I kinda miss the days of hitting multiple concerts each week. Getting old sucks. I still continue to do as much damage as possible to my hearing, though. 😎

• DCGoth

Participant

Yeah, there’s a typo above. Still =stuff.

• Anonymous

Inactive

“I still continue to do as much damage as possible to my hearing, though. 😎”

Huh?

What’d you say?

Can’t hear ya.

• DCGoth

Participant

Absolutely. I miss concerts in the 70s & early 80s, when you would see a smoke cloud covering to upper area of an arena and you couldn’t hear for about a week. 😃

It’s hard to really say who was the loudest. Aerosmith was up there. They even paid the fine to crank the amps and play past hours during the 90s. I can’t render which for it was, but the opening band was Guns ‘n Roses Appetite for Destruction. (Amazing their first album tour was done as an opening band. They rose up fast. The venue was Merriweather Post Pavilion, in Columbia, Maryland. (By then, that venue had noise and time restrictions, which IMHO was wrong. The venue was built in 1967, yet the condos and houses didn’t go in until the 80s. You don’t but a house next to an airport, knowing it’s an airport, and gripe about noise. During the late 90s, I could listen to concerts from my balcony. One I got for free, via balcony, was Aretha Franklin.)

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nugent, definitely Ted Nugent. My ears would ring for a week or two after a Nuge concert.

Even when he was was with Damn Yankees. I can remember one show in the Bay area, I think it was at the Bayfront Center. He and Shemane just had their first (and I think only) baby. I asked her if she wanted some ear plugs for the infant because even then, and back stage, Teddy was loud.

She said no.

Guess they wanted to raise the kid right …….

• DCGoth

Participant

Nugent, definitely Ted Nugent. My ears would ring for a week or two after a Nuge concert.

Absolutely. I completely forgot about Nugent. He was always incredible. I saw him in ‘79 at the Cap Centre, with Scorpions opening, and Blackfoot at the middle band.

I saw him again in ‘80, same venue, but with Scorpions as the middle group and Def Leppard as the opener. They were both awesome shows.

A fun memory from ‘79, as I was walking into the show, I was talking to some guy who was there for, IMHO, one of the most fun reasons I’ve ever heard for attending a concert. He was a waiter and he waited in The Scorpions at the restaurant. They couldn’t afford to tip him, so instead they have him tickets to the show. Gotta love that.

Also, tbh, I think any band that ever opened for Nugent gained success later. I’m not certain how the openers were picked, but they were always up and coming bands, primarily early in their careers.

Fast-forward to ‘85, and I’m at &the Monsters of Rock Tour, with Scorpions sharing the headlines with Van Halen. Metallica was the third of a five band show, and Kingdom “Clone” as one of the early bands. I really can’t remember the fifth band. L.A. Guns? I’d have to consult The Google. That was a long day at RFK, and very hot. Lots of beer that day.

But yeah, Nugent should eventually donate to my hearing aid fund, should I live so long to need them. 😎 🎸

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.