Viewing 62 reply threads

• Author

• buccaneer4ever

Participant

I was talking with my friend about our beloved Bucs when he said something that intrigued me.What if, after going 0-8, Schiano had fired Sheridan and Sullivan in the middle of the season? Would you have supported giving him one more year?I said that I wouldn't, since it felt to me that one of the main reasons we weren't successful was Schiano's style. However, I'm curious how all of you would answer this question.

• Anonymous

Inactive

That wouldn’t have changed anything for me, actually that would have been more of a reason to part with the guy. If the guys he chose (and had some success with the year before) were bad enough to fire in the middle of the season, that’s a big reflection on the coach.So it wouldn't have mattered to me.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wouldn’t have changed my mind, either.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same here. His style and approach was all wrong. You don’t treat pro athletes like he did. He is more suited to the college game, and even that is doubtful in this day and age. Even Chuck Noll 30 years ago, knew how to get players respect without screaming and yelling like some kind of steroid junkie MMA guy.RIP Chuck

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was an idiot. De's like clayborn in coverage?? Revis in zone? Obsessing over stunts. Wasted halftimes. Hardheaded approach on offense, even if it wasn't working. Selling off good players because he can't find use for them. Rutgers players everywhere. Calling the fans out. Mismanaging injured players. Making the league hate him. Making the refs hate him. Not listening to his players. Playing man to man with a horrid cb core, but then zone coverage with an improved cb group. Worrying about dumb things like temperature. Treating the players like kids. Drafting a safety with his first pick.I can go on and on. Nothing can get the blame off of him. It's almost like people on this MB could've done a better job. Hell, raheem did a better job, and that's not something he should be proud of.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He was an idiot. De's like clayborn in coverage?? Revis in zone? Obsessing over stunts. Wasted halftimes. Hardheaded approach on offense, even if it wasn't working. Selling off good players because he can't find use for them. Rutgers players everywhere. Calling the fans out. Mismanaging injured players. Making the league hate him. Making the refs hate him. Not listening to his players. Playing man to man with a horrid cb core, but then zone coverage with an improved cb group. Worrying about dumb things like temperature. Treating the players like kids. Drafting a safety with his first pick.I can go on and on. Nothing can get the blame off of him. It's almost like people on this MB could've done a better job. Hell, raheem did a better job, and that's not something he should be proud of.

None of that can be true. Schiano and Belichick are BFF's.    [sarc]

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1.Firing the coordinators would not have changed any of this. Schiano is who he is. And it doesn't make for a good NFL Head Coach.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If he had the power, he should have fired Dominik…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano hired them and had a big say in the schemes they ran. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

Firing his coordinators mid-season would’ve been nothing but a desperate attempt at scapegoating to save his own ass, which if anything would have hastened his departure.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Firing a Coordinator in mid-season would not likely have helped his cause.I don't know how a young team would change their stripes on the fly. Maybe McNulty could've replaced Sullivan, dunno. Bringing in someone from outside in midseason seems a bad idea. Needs to be done in the offseason, IMO...

• Anonymous

Inactive

Same here. His style and approach was all wrong. You don't treat pro athletes like he did. He is more suited to the college game, and even that is doubtful in this day and age. Even Chuck Noll 30 years ago, knew how to get players respect without screaming and yelling like some kind of steroid junkie MMA guy.RIP Chuck

being a hard ass can work if you already have the rep of being a winner and there are immediate results.  His buddy Belichick is a good example.  But neither was the case with Schiano. 

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are tons of different styles and approaches that work for coaches. An in your face hard ass can win as many games as a quiet church going coach if he knows how to do his job. Schiano’s issue didn’t appear to be so much his style as it was his stubbornness. It was his way or the highway to a fault.

• Anonymous

Inactive

If Schiano had stayed there would be no excitement amonst the fan base and ticket sales would be pathetic.  The Glazers had no choice.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano was a bad choice. He was an intriguing option considering what we had with Raheem but we really needed an experienced and smart coach. Not a guy who’s learning on the fly with our young guys who are also learning on the fly. With that said it’s a good thing we have that now while the teams talent is beginning to peak.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing about Schiano’s hiring was intriging.  I wanted to vomit when they announced it.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Nothing about Schiano's hiring was intriging.  I wanted to vomit when they announced it.

I was extremely confused.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Would not have made a bit of difference. Schiano was in over his head and it became more obvious as the games went by. Guy just wasn’t an NFL coach as evidenced by the continuous lack of halftime adjustments as just one example. Thankfully, recess is over and the future looks a lot better.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano was barely a Big East coach and he couldn’t win that.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I figured it would be pretty unanimous. Thanks for the responses, everyone.Anyone have a counter argument? I'd love to hear one, even if it's just someone playing Devil's Advocate.

• Anonymous

Inactive

I figured it would be pretty unanimous. Thanks for the responses, everyone.Anyone have a counter argument? I'd love to hear one, even if it's just someone playing Devil's Advocate.

Just playing Devil's advocate but Sullivan and Sheridan were not Schiano's first choices and it wasn't like they were "his" guys who he had worked with before. I was not in the locker room and I don't know how he operated as a leader. We have heard reports from some that he sucked and others who thought he did a good job. The obvious upfront issues were schematic so a new OC/DC could've helped that, but at the same time, the philosophy and gameplans of a team are a direct result of the head coach's views.So in the end, there really was no other option besides firing the entire staff because there is no way a team that talented should've won only four games.

• Anonymous

Inactive

While he was not exactly the smartest or most personable coach, I do think he had a pretty good eye for smart, confident, hard working players.  He drafted some pretty good ones like barron, martin, and david in 2012 and pretty much the entire 2013 draft class (who should all make the team this year). Then undrafted guys like leonard johnson, melvin and wright who are looking good this this offseason. I also think, while extreme at times, he tought this team good work ethic. While I’m sure the players are enjoying Lovie’s approach now, I guarantee most of them have retained the same attitude toward practice. With that being said, I am relieved that the bucs decided to move on, we have a much better coach now. Although we will have to wait to see how well he drafts.

• Anonymous

Inactive

While he was not exactly the smartest or most personable coach, I do think he had a pretty good eye for smart, confident, hard working players.  He drafted some pretty good ones like barron, martin, and david in 2012 and pretty much the entire 2013 draft class (who should all make the team this year). Then undrafted guys like leonard johnson, melvin and wright who are looking good this this offseason. I also think, while extreme at times, he tought this team good work ethic. While I'm sure the players are enjoying Lovie's approach now, I guarantee most of them have retained the same attitude toward practice. With that being said, I am relieved that the bucs decided to move on, we have a much better coach now. Although we will have to wait to see how well he drafts.

No offense,  but your assuming the HC is drafting players.

• Anonymous

Inactive

While he was not exactly the smartest or most personable coach, I do think he had a pretty good eye for smart, confident, hard working players.  He drafted some pretty good ones like barron, martin, and david in 2012 and pretty much the entire 2013 draft class (who should all make the team this year). Then undrafted guys like leonard johnson, melvin and wright who are looking good this this offseason. I also think, while extreme at times, he tought this team good work ethic. While I'm sure the players are enjoying Lovie's approach now, I guarantee most of them have retained the same attitude toward practice. With that being said, I am relieved that the bucs decided to move on, we have a much better coach now. Although we will have to wait to see how well he drafts.

Well, at the very least he's involved with the decision. This isn't the Raiders.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Well, at the very least he's involved with the decision. This isn't the Raiders.

No doubt.  But I wouldn't say Schiano was 100% responsible for the good draft picks.  When Miami was interviewing for a new GM, their owner said every one he interviewed for the job said the same thing.  All the good picks were their calls. And all the bad picks were someone else's fault.

• Anonymous

Inactive

What if McCoy pressured the QB with a 4th qtr lead?

• Anonymous

Inactive

Only if it resulted in us going 8-8…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What if McCoy pressured the QB with a 4th qtr lead?

What if Freeman stopped getting excited by seeing the white lines on the field?

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is one of those times where you just have to snap the rear view mirror off the windshield and toss is out the window. Fug it.  Time to look ahead.

• Anonymous

Inactive

When we lose, people nitpick. Human nature.Heck, the whole temperature thing and many others were simply to minimize distractions for the PLAYERS. Help keep them totally focused on whatever the coach is telling them.When the coaches are showing them something, don't want the players thinking "sure is hot in here" right in the middle of a key point being made by a coach.

• Anonymous

Inactive

When we lose, people nitpick. Human nature.Heck, the whole temperature thing and many others were simply to minimize distractions for the PLAYERS. Help keep them totally focused on whatever the coach is telling them.When the coaches are showing them something, don't want the players thinking "sure is hot in here" right in the middle of a key point being made by a coach.

If he wins he is hailed as an innovator and a genius for those types of things.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Here’s a great quote from an NFL writer about the Harbaugh brothers that shows you the difference between them and Schiano.

TurningOverRyanLeaf: In terms of front-office personnel that you've worked with/covered, who have you found to have the best "football mind?" Also, who is your all-time favorite interviewee?Kent Babb: Probably as a result of the franchises I have covered — KC and Washington — none immediately comes to mind. I have only casually covered the 49ers and Ravens, but the Harbaugh boys are brilliant and don't get caught up in BS. They are among the disappearing minority who seem to realize that football is a sport. A high-level sport inside billion-dollar businesses, yes, but a sport nonetheless. They at least seem to understand that nobody cares about every little detail that other teams stupidly try to protect.

http://deadspin.com/kent-babb-is-here-to-talk-screwed-up-nfl-franchises-1501160501Schiano was obsessed with the BS parts of being a coach.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano’s contribution was to clear out the cancer that Raheem put in place with all of the high priced under performers on the squad. Unfortunately, he didn’t get them all and the Oline killed him. Lovie’s job is to take the talent left behind, and there is some, add to it and get the Bucs back into contention again. The Raheem hire was devastating in so many ways.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Clear out cancer??Like bringing in "gun on a plane" bowers? Maybe signing MEvis? .."penalty time" goldson was a good idea, right? "Big toe baby" nicks has been a great addition...Also, who got rid of mikewill? ..I'm sure that was during the schiano era..Schiano did nothing but waste everyone's time. Even his drafts are becoming more questionable by the day.

• Anonymous

Inactive

• Anonymous

Inactive

i probably would have wanted to give him another year. I think one of schianos main issues is he wanted his hand in everything. If he would have given full control to his coordinators i think he would have had a real shot at succeeding. With that said, he also would have had to loosen his iron fist..

• Anonymous

Inactive

Schiano's contribution was to clear out the cancer that Raheem put in place with all of the high priced under performers on the squad. Unfortunately, he didn't get them all and the Oline killed him. Lovie's job is to take the talent left behind, and there is some, add to it and get the Bucs back into contention again. The Raheem hire was devastating in so many ways.

You mean clear out the cancer that was dom? He had say over Raheem and the bad signing continued after heemy left.

• Anonymous

Inactive

i probably would have wanted to give him another year. I think one of schianos main issues is he wanted his hand in everything. If he would have given full control to his coordinators i think he would have had a real shot at succeeding. With that said, he also would have had to loosen his iron fist..

He couldn't win the Big East despite an overwhelming edge in recruiting base. 0-11 vs West Virginia with the average loss being by 20 points. He would needed Sean Payton and Bill Belichick as his coordinators to have a real shot of succeeding.

• Anonymous

Inactive

He couldn't win the Big East despite an overwhelming edge in recruiting base.

has rutgers always had an overwhelming edge in recruiting base?

• Anonymous

Inactive

They certainly have in the last 15 years. They haven’t taken advantage of it because of huge errors in recruiting. There was a three year stretch in the late 2000s when NJ produced more NFL players than any other state.

• Anonymous

Inactive

They certainly have in the last 15 years. They haven't taken advantage of it because of huge errors in recruiting. There was a three year stretch in the late 2000s when NJ produced more NFL players than any other state.

wonder how that recruiting edge correlates to schiano.

• Anonymous

Inactive

The guy could have fired his entire staff and unless the 2nd half of the season was exceptional he was never going to get a 3rd season.Saying that I will always be thankful that he managed to rid us of Freeman & Dom.

• Anonymous

Inactive

There are plenty of things to criticize Schiano for, but not building Rutgers into a recruiting powerhouse isn’t one of them.

• Anonymous

Inactive

Rutgers had a recruiting advantage over WVU?  Are you kidding?

• bcwizard

Participant

WVU is a big party school so it should be easier to recruit there

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's possible Rutgers has a slight advantage over WVU being that New Jersey has a larger population than West Virginia and you're closer to other states like New York that have large populations. <