Currently, there are 0 users and 1 guest visiting this topic.
Viewing 9 reply threads

• Author

• harrybucman

Participant

USA Today High School Sports Any philosophies about why the south produces most of the NFL talent Florida edged California by one player for the state with the most players on NFL Kickoff Weekend rosters, according to the annual tally by USA Football.Florida had 204 players, followed by California with 203. Texas was third with 181, followed by Georgia with 114. No other state had more than 100 players among the 1,695 on rosters for opening weekend.Here are the 14 states with 35 of more players:•Florida 204•California 203•Texas 181•Georgia 114•Ohio 78•Alabama 63•Louisiana 58•North Carolina 55•Pennsylvania 55•New Jersey 52•Michigan 49•South Carolina 47•Virginia 46•Maryland 35

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly think its that most southern kids are told to “Go play outside” pretty much year round.  That leads to more kids playing football and baseball.  Kids up north have to spend a good part of the year playing indoors.  That leads to more hockey and basketball players.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is simple math: Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are the only states with an African American population over 50%. Half of which are 50%-80%. The NFL is comprised of 70% African Americans. That is why the south has larger representation in the NFL. The NBA has similar numbers outside of Florida. But we all know Florida is a football state.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Football in the south has become a year-round affair. My son played youth league football in the fall then played 8-on-8 tackle in the spring. Add in camps during the summer. He is now in high school and I’ve put a stop on the spring football. But high school’s here also spend a month in May with full contact practices and a jamboree game. And their fall offsesason conditioning programs literally begins one week after the school year ends in June and is a three day a week affair throughout the summer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

This is simple math: Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, North and South Carolina, Virginia, and Maryland are the only states with an African American population over 50%. Half of which are 50%-80%. The NFL is comprised of 70% African Americans. That is why the south has larger representation in the NFL. The NBA has similar numbers outside of Florida. But we all know Florida is a football state.

Yep unfortunately that's where the plantations were.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I honestly think its that most southern kids are told to "Go play outside" pretty much year round.  That leads to more kids playing football and baseball.  Kids up north have to spend a good part of the year playing indoors.  That leads to more hockey and basketball players.

Don't forget wrestling and weight lifting. They tend to rule those sports up north, and Wisconsin is a bunch of loonies about greco style wrestling. They cannot get enough.Climate almost has to effect this. But, it isnt the end-all. In golf, plenty of very good pros came from up north. Same with boxing. They are probably the most incomparable of sports, yet it is still lopsided to the northerners favor.But, maybe we could compare a different "sport," like chess? The dominating country in this is usually some oddly named russian. And russian folks do know a thing or two about having to stay indoors for extended periods. Maybe we should focus less on the actual climate, but rather what people DO with their free time. I've met some dimwits in my time that have seen jailtime. And believe me, some of them definately have some skills on the chessboard. For them, it was a safe means to pass the time, and they, because of the constant repetition, became subconsciously good at the game without having to be "smart."So, imvho, it seems to me that cultural, and physical roles play a lot into determining what a given individual will do with their lives. Not only that, but it doesnt matter so much at to WHERE a persons location is, but rather, their desire or enjoyment of the life choices they make.I think i read somewhere awhile back that the Bulldogs have had more students enter the nfl than any other college in the last 20 years. But, is that because of how well they played? Maybe because they trained in a pro style? Because they are southern? Because they love the game? Have free time on their hands?

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

Yep unfortunately that's where the plantations were.

Yep but the Afro Americans in the north came from those same plantations.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The three most populous states in the country are California followed by Texas and Florida….and it doesn’t hurt that they are all fair weather states. I don’t get the surprise.

Please wait…

• mike25315

Participant

The three most populous states in the country are California followed by Texas and Florida....and it doesn't hurt that they are all fair weather states. I don't get the surprise.

But NY is 4--Ill is 5--Penn is 6 and Ohio 7 and NY just edged out Florida for #3 in the last census --yet NY is not in the top 14. So there has to be other factors.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The craziest are the numbers for LA and AL – punching way above their population (AL 23rd, LA 25).

Please wait…

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.