What is the Franchise tag number for Winston.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    LVBUC2
    Participant

I read on pro football talk that the Franchise tag for Zack Prescott would be 33 million. Why are the numbers for Winston 27 million, did it go up?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...

Badtimes
    Participant

I have seen numbers all over the place.  From what I understand, the franchise tag is the last 5 years average of the players position. I went to a web site that lists the salaries and the avg salary for the top 5 QB’s in 2015 was 31.8 million.

When I went to year 2016 my antivirus cut the connection with that web site because of ransomware. As a result I couldn’t come up with figures for 5 years.  I do know the site for last year all of the top 5 QB’s had contracts over 30 million with Russell getting 53 million. Not sure how accurate the numbers from that site are.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Roy
    Participant

Over The Cap says $26,895,000 for 2020 for QB.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    ryan24
    Participant

I think PFT is referring to the exclusive FT which is over $30mil although I don’t think it’s $33mil. The non-exclusive tag is what they’d likely use as the Bucs would for Winston and that is around $27mil.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    LIBucsFan93
    Participant

I read on pro football talk that the Franchise tag for Zack Prescott would be 33 million. Why are the numbers for Winston 27 million, did it go up?

The top 5 QB salaries are

1. Russell Wilson 35 million
    2. Big Ben 34 million
    3. Jared Goff (Why) 33.5 million
    4. Aaron Rodgers 33.5
    5. and Wentz 32 million

If you franchise Winston you will be guaranteeing him somewhere between 32-35 million. That’s crazy for a guy that hasn’t sniffed the playoffs. Hasn’t won a division. Has only beaten 5 teams with a winning record in 5 seasons. Leads the league in turnovers over the last 5 years.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    ryan24
    Participant

There are two levels of franchise tag. exclusive and non-exclusive. Winston will get the non-exclusive of right at $27mil which is not calculated as the top 5 salaries of the current year. He’s not getting $33mil.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    dexmonkey
    Participant

pardon my ignorance but what is the difference in exclusive and non-exclusive franchise tag? ability to be acquired by another team for 2 #1s?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    wolfet
    Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>I really think the ball is in Winston’s court.  This reminds me of Barrett Ruud situation a bit.  If ruud would have been realistic I think the Bucs would have locked him up and he would be the starter for 3-4 more years.  Instead, he signs a one year deal elsewhere, bounces around the league and eventually is out if memory serves me correct.</p>
    Winston is in danger of playing next year for someone like the dolphins for $10m -15m on a one year deal.  Will Winston really command much more than Bridgewater?

I don’t think they tag.  If they go to Winston’s agents and they are talking 25-30m I think the Bucs turn to other option like rivers and offer 2 years @$20m per year.

I would not mind bringing Winston back on a short term deal.  However, I would not pay above $20m -$22m per year.  Bucs have a starting job and two pro bowl receivers and an offensive minded head coach.  He isn’t going to improve long term prospects by going to San Diego or Miami for instance.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    seekpar
    Participant

Famous Jameis at FSU.

Aimless Jameis at Bucs.

He gotta go.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    ryan24
    Participant

pardon my ignorance but what is the difference in exclusive and non-exclusive franchise tag? ability to be acquired by another team for 2 #1s?

Exclusive means he can’t got out to other teams. non-exclusive means he can go to other teams and get an offer but the FTing team has the right to match or give him up for 2 first rounders.

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Joey
    Participant

It is a zero sum game for the bucs because they will be against the cap

so it is not a question of Winston or no Winston.
    it is Winston vs what else we could do with that money  …and really which gives us a better chance to win.
    for example maybe something like Winston vs JPP and rivers.  Then maybe you go with option b yes?

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
    Havok904
    Participant

Franchise Tag QB = $26,895,000
    Transition Tag QB = $24,373,000

No votes yet.
    Please wait...
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.