Viewing 51 reply threads

• Author

• blind melon

Participant

OK, so I’ve read a thousand different answers to answer the QB situation.  Some are nonsense, some make sense, some would get you fired…I know it will be difficult for some to actually answer the threads question, maybe even more difficult to accept the following hypotheticalsituation...1. You have to fix the QB situation in two seasons (McCown will finish his contract in Tampa)2. If it isn't fixed by the end of the 2015 season, you and your entire staff will be fired and selling peanuts at spring trainingmacross the street3. For the purpose of this hypothetical situation ffixed means is the Bucs have a legitimate starter for the 2016 season. Legitimate starter is top 1/3 of the league.4. The Glazers must 'buy' your plan and it must make logical sense before the 2014 draft.5. You cannot buy a long term starting QB.Sounds easy, right?  How are you going to do it?  Your answer must be specific, realistic and be no more than a medium risk.  (Your answer will be read by 1 Buc.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft a guy this May and groom that QB & Mike Glennon under Josh McCown for a year. Then have the two battle for a starting spot next summer. If a franchise guy emerges you’ve solved the problem. If a franchise QB does not emerge, just trade for a top tier QB that will lead your franchise to the playoffs for the next decade. Lovie is capable of thinking this one through

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft Teddy Bridgewater, who will end up being the best QB from not only this years draft….but also next year’s draft.Yup..said it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

i would draft carr and give him a year on the bench and let him duke it out next year. i like his quick release, mobility, feisty / fiery demeanor. he has the physical ability ... and some of the intangibles. needs some grooming though.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft Teddy Bridegwater. If the Texans take Brotles, we better be on the phone with the Rams.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft a guy this May and groom that QB & Mike Glennon under Josh McCown for a year. Then have the two battle for a starting spot next summer. If a franchise guy emerges you've solved the problem. If a franchise QB does not emerge, just do what the Saints did and trade for a top tier QB that will lead you franchise o the playoffs for the next decade. Lovie is capable of thinking this one through

When did the Saints trade for a QB?They signed Brees as a FA that no other team wanted due to injury concerns, the Dolphins even failed him on the physical, instead trading away picks for Culpepper.They took a big risk and it paid off.To fix our QB situation I'd wait and see if 1 of the big 3 falls to us and then have them sit & learn for a year.If all three are gone look for a trade back, grab Carr and let him sit for a year.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They didn’t. I assumed and made a mistake that I later corrected.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

+1 to Det/Chace. Let’s get Bridgewater.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft manziel, have comp between our qb’s, best one wins THIS season. Let glennon and manziel grow if they don’t just outright take over.If not that scenario, then trade glennon off for pick(s) for ammo for next season, let josh try this season, and even IF he's a baller, try to draft mariota or famous for later anyway.Point is, we HAVE to have a good qb, that can last. Mccown, for all he is or isn't, won't be a lasting piece of the puzzle.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

There’s 3 options1) draft a QB at 72) draft Aaron Murray or similar in rd 2-4 and hope Murray or Glennon develop in 1-2 years behind mccown3) Draft other positions and go into season with a capable starter like McCown and a developmental project like Glennon for Tedford to work his magic on, and reassess the situation next spring

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Stand pat on QB in this years draft.  Monitor the progression of Glennon in his second year, if it’s not where they want it to be, look to draft a stud next year.  This year’s QB class is devoid of superior talent at the QB position.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft a guy this May and groom that QB & Mike Glennon under Josh McCown for a year.

i dont know if its realistic to teach a vet a new system and groom 2 guys.  not enough reps or time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep, and that means move up to #2

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Your answer MUST be specific.  Your multi-million dollar job depends on it.How are you proposing to get Bridgewater?  Who you talking to? What's it going to cost?  O'Draft a guy'.  'Draft a stud' Gets you fired in this scenario.  You are paid to have a specific plan that will work.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yep, and that means move up to #2

Clowney/Mack/Watkins & the 2 OL in terms of value may push these qb's lower than expected. I actually think we may not need to trade up at all. If Bortles doesn't go #1 he may slip because OAK needs a LT badly now after losing their starter Valdeheer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yup. It might be the best time in the world for the bucs to sign their future qb.And hopefully, we won't be picking this high for quite some time.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

What would I do? Well Lovie already sabotaged my plan :).I'd let Glennon duke it out with McCown this summer and give the starting job to the winner of the competition. If Glennon flops, I'd go all in drafting a QB like Winston next year.Edit: if Teddy falls to us at 7, I'd grab him and trade Glennon. However, I wouldn't want Bortles or Jonny.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If one of the three QB’s are available at seven, take them and groom them for two years. I have a feeling at least one of them will be sitting there when we pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

trade Oniel Cousins to the Colts for Andrew Luck

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Set up the team to compete this year, build everything around the QB, and go all in for Marcus Mariota next April

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Your answer MUST be specific.  Your multi-million dollar job depends on it.How are you proposing to get Bridgewater?  Who you talking to? What's it going to cost?  O'Draft a guy'.  'Draft a stud' Gets you fired in this scenario.  You are paid to have a specific plan that will work.

pretty difficult to be that specific.  right now only way to be sure about bridgewater is to trade with houston, and who knows what they want?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Do what it takes to get bridgewater.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting question, but I do not at all believe the Glazers are looking at it as that Lovie needs to find a franchise QB by 2016. I think after spending five straight years with a clown as a head coach, the Glazers realize the value in having a coach who isn’t an idiot and are going to give Lovie a Gruden-esque amount of time to find his guy, provided Lovie shows himself to be fully capable if doing everything else, like Gruden.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They’re going to move from 38 to 20-25 and draft Carr and let him sit for a year behind McCown.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I would spend all of my resources in this draft building the best team I could sans QB.  If one of the big 3 fell to us I would auction him off to the highest bidder.  I would make certain I did everything I could in the draft and FA to give whichever QB is the starter the best chance to succeed.  I would go into camp with McCown and Glennon listed as 1a and 1b on the depth chart plus a couple of training camp arms as not to wear these two out.  I would give Glennon and McCown equal reps and make it a true competition.  Best man wins.The reason I would do this is that I honestly feel Glennon will be a good QB in this league, but he needs to prove it by beating someone that presents a reasonable bar to him.  If I am wrong then atleast we have McCown as a safety net for the next 2 years and can devote multiple picks next year into trading up for a QB.  As was said earlier we have all new coaches and new schemes and there just won't be enough reps to go around for 3 potential starters.  Whichever guy won out of that 3 way competition still would not be prepared.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting question, but I do not at all believe the Glazers are looking at it as that Lovie needs to find a franchise QB by 2016. I think after spending five straight years with a clown as a head coach, the Glazers realize the value in having a coach who isn't an idiot and are going to give Lovie a Gruden-esque amount of time to find his guy, provided Lovie shows himself to be fully capable if doing everything else, like Gruden.

40 years in this league come 2016.  Over 600 games without a franchise QB.We have let every franchise quality QB leave...  You may be right about their patience, but somehow I doubt it...  You guys know my answer to this problem.  Many think the same way.  Do whatever it takes to get Bridgewater.  2 firsts, Glennon and a late pick to the Rams.    The only flaw in my answer is Houston, in this scenario they take Clowney.  3 firsts (yes, I said it) to Houston.  Crazy?  Maybe.  Realistic?  Probably not. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Interesting question, but I do not at all believe the Glazers are looking at it as that Lovie needs to find a franchise QB by 2016. I think after spending five straight years with a clown as a head coach, the Glazers realize the value in having a coach who isn't an idiot and are going to give Lovie a Gruden-esque amount of time to find his guy, provided Lovie shows himself to be fully capable if doing everything else, like Gruden.

40 years in this league come 2016.  Over 600 games without a franchise QB.We have let every franchise quality QB leave...  You may be right about their patience, but somehow I doubt it...  You guys know my answer to this problem.  Many think the same way.  Do whatever it takes to get Bridgewater.  2 firsts, Glennon and a late pick to the Rams.    The only flaw in my answer is Houston, in this scenario they take Clowney.  3 firsts (yes, I said it) to Houston.  Crazy?  Maybe.  Realistic?  Probably not.

If that's your opinion, fine, but I think if Lovie and Licht show themselves capable of fixing the rest of the offense and the defense takes the next step, they're not getting fired in two, or even three years just because they don't get a franchise QB. The Glazers aren't going to want to take the chance of hiring another clown like Morris or Schiano.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A great coach and GM without a Good QB are mediocre.Does anyone honestly think that the Glazers didn't have an interview question regarding a solution to the QB problem and expect a precise and well thought out answer?  We did the retread thing towards the end of the Gruden years...  Looking back on it, it sucked out loud.  Refresher...  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Tampa_Bay_Buccaneers_starting_quarterbacks.    A painful one.  ...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But you can’t just snap your fingers and make a great QB appear. I didn’t like Gruden’s retreads either, but in 7 years he only had shots at 2 legit franchise QBs – Rodgers in 2005 and Brees in 2006. Maybe Lovie will get stuck in a similar down spot like Gruden between 2002-2004 and 2007-2008.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

he could have moved up for Cutler as well.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Agreed.  Have a plan, do what it takes. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

But you can't just snap your fingers and make a great QB appear. I didn't like Gruden's retreads either, but in 7 years he only had shots at 2 legit franchise QBs - Rodgers in 2005 and Brees in 2006. Maybe Lovie will get stuck in a similar down spot like Gruden between 2002-2004 and 2007-2008.

Garcia wasn't bad... Dude was tough.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Garcia was the best of the bandages.  too bad we didn’t get him a few years earlier and saved us from the Griese and Sims years.

Please wait…

• mdclarie

Participant

There's 3 options2) draft Aaron Murray or similar in rd 2-4 and hope Murray or Glennon develop in 1-2 years behind mccown

This is my best bet too. Though I think Mettenberger would be better choice but I'd rather it be a 3rd or 5th we use and not a 2nd. Mettenberger, Murray or McCarron in the 3rd, or wait till 5 and hope one of those three are still there. If they all get picked before 5 then wait till 6-7 and pick up Shaw or Thomas, whichever Tedford thinks he can work his 'magic' with.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I really like the idea of getting other pieces and running with Glennon and McCown this year.  Kick the tires on Glennon before you dump him.  Meanwhile you’ve got to stock the weapons for whoever turns out as the answer.  If Tedford does not have confidence in Glennon then I’m all for trading away a draft to get Winston or other top QB next year, after other pieces have been solved this year.  I would take Bridgewater if he fell to us, but would not trade up for him, as we need to stock the weapons cabinet with WR this year.I have a feeling Glennon can get it done with Tedford, but I'm just some fan with a computer.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I have to take a QB in this draft and Bridgewater does not fall to us, I trade back and take Garapolo and get him some weapons.  Could be Carr here, but not if I’m the GM.  The way I see it, Tedford is under more pressure than Lovie or Licht.  I think they get more than 2 years regardless, but two years is Tedford’s window for the Bucs to have a winning record.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If I have to take a QB in this draft and Bridgewater does not fall to us, I trade back and take Garapolo and get him some weapons.  Could be Carr here, but not if I'm the GM.  The way I see it, Tedford is under more pressure than Lovie or Licht.  I think they get more than 2 years regardless, but two years is Tedford's window for the Bucs to have a winning record.

trade back and grab Garappolo where?http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/02/25/polian-thinks-jimmy-garoppolo-is-a-first-round-pick/

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on how the draft plays out, but I was thinking we would have to take Garapolo in the mid to late 20s somewhere.  Rather than trading back from 7 to get him, we might have to trade up from the 2nd.  Maybe a little bit of both.  Trade back for extra picks, use them to trade back up.  Get a WR in the mid first and a QB (Garopolo or Carr) in the late first.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1.  Trade the 7th pick, this years 3rd round pick, and Glennon to the Rams for the 2nd pick. 2.  Draft Teddy Bridgewater.3.  Plan on having Bridgewater sit his rookie year, but start him week 1 if he outperforms McCown in training camp and preseason.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1.  Trade the 7th pick, this years 3rd round pick, and Glennon to the Rams for the 2nd pick. 2.  Draft Teddy Bridgewater.3.  Plan on having Bridgewater sit his rookie year, but start him week 1 if he outperforms McCown in training camp and preseason.

If that's all it takes to get up to #2, that's great.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

My full on belief if the Bucs feel that their Franchise QB isn’t Bridgewater, Bortles or Manziel. Whether that is right or wrong that is yet to be seen. There is a reason the Bucs wanted that 3rd round pick from the Jets so badly. Look for McCarron, Garropolo, Mettenberger or Murray to be drafted in the 3rd round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Draft TB at 7 when he falls to us because everyone else is retarded.  Start Glennon.  Glennon is making an MVP push by December, but gets a minor injury so TB has to play for the last 4 weeks.  TB plays even better.  Trade Glennon for multiple firsts and start TB in 2015.  Crown us.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If the staff is 100% certain they want a different QB than Glennon I think I might go for Carr.  The more I watch and see from him the more I like him.  His bro being a QB helps him a bunch imo.As far as getting him that would depend on how the draft unfolds.  If 3 QBs go before our pick I would say you have to take him at 7.  I just can't see Minny not taking a QB at 8.  If 1 or 2 of the "big 3" are there we would likely be safe trading back a few picks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I don’t see us getting much for Glennon if we traded him. It depends who’s there at 7. If Watkins is there then grab him, I’d keep Mike Williams and draft either TE or guard in round 2 to make life easier for our future QB (who we’ll have to go all out for next year) … Or if one of the big 3 are there then go for it… let whoever plays best in training camp and preseason start.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

LOL; tough owner; I LIKE it!  Since we are talking long term answer at QB, it ain’t smart to lock into ANY of the QBs this year UNLESS they rate it in a BPA scenario ON OUR DRAFT BOARD. We simply don’t know who may emerge NEXT season in college, or who may come out early. No way to KNOW this year’s crop of QBs are any better than next years..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

If that's your opinion, fine, but I think if Lovie and Licht show themselves capable of fixing the rest of the offense and the defense takes the next step, they're not getting fired in two, or even three years just because they don't get a franchise QB. The Glazers aren't going to want to take the chance of hiring another clown like Morris or Schiano.

FRG – that was damned near optimistic coming from you.  And I suspect the bucs will pick at least one qb in this draft.  If one of the top 4 is there at 7 he will become a buccaneer.  So I think the process for finding a franchise like QB starts this year in the draft ( and consideration/evaluation of Glennon will take place at the same time )

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Most of the time new coaches pick their QB year one.  Lovie a safe for awhile for multiple reasons but he knows he has to get results on offense and there seems to be a well thought out plan to build a football team and that has to include getting your franchise QB. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

FRG - that was damned near optimistic coming from you.  And I suspect the bucs will pick at least one qb in this draft.  If one of the top 4 is there at 7 he will become a buccaneer.  So I think the process for finding a franchise like QB starts this year in the draft ( and consideration/evaluation of Glennon will take place at the same time )

I'm gonna agree with FRG here. I think that he Glazers will be patient with Lovie and that he will be in Tampa for quite some time. 4 different coaches in a 7 year span is really embarrassing. Expect Lovie to be here quite a while.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

FRG - that was damned near optimistic coming from you.  And I suspect the bucs will pick at least one qb in this draft.  If one of the top 4 is there at 7 he will become a buccaneer.  So I think the process for finding a franchise like QB starts this year in the draft ( and consideration/evaluation of Glennon will take place at the same time )

I'm gonna agree with FRG here. I think that he Glazers will be patient with Lovie and that he will be in Tampa for quite some time. 4 different coaches in a 7 year span is really embarrassing. Expect Lovie to be here quite a while.

Agreed. Glazers want championships. Championships need stability at the top. Lovie offered a better shot at stability than Schiano.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They want championships, but they NEED respectability.  Lovie isn’t going anywhere any  time soon.  Because his realistic worst case is still going to be a competitive team.  He won’t even start feeling any pressure for at let three or four years.  Glazers just can’t turn over another coach.  They’ve gambled and lost big, now they need to reestablish the team as a legit entity.  I see almost no scenario he isn’t still here in 5 years

Please wait…

Viewing 51 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.