Viewing 49 reply threads

• Author

• michael89156

Participant

NFL draft: 2009 re-doBy Rishi Pochiraju - Apr 14th, 2014 at 9:23 pm free_zpscddfb9ba.jpgThis draft wasn’t as deep as the 2011 or 2012 draft, especially in quarterbacks. There were some very good linemen and defensive backs – particularly cornerbacks – in 2009, but other than that, there was not much talent elsewhere. Here’s my take on what I would do in a 2009 re- draft. 1.  Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford, QB, Georgia Actual pick: same Stafford is the Lions’ franchise quarterback and I believe he’s a star when he’s healthy. He’s managed to stay healthy for the last couple years, and I think he has lived up to the expectations of being a first overall pick, throwing for 5,000 yards one year and resurrecting what was the worst team in the league. 2.  St. Louis Rams Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia Actual pick: Jason Smith, OT, Baylor Smith is now a journeyman free agent while Monroe just got himself a nice long-term deal from the Ravens. Drafting Monroe would solve an issue that the Rams currently have (tackle), and Monroe would accomplish what Smith did not in St. Louis. 3.  Kansas City Chiefs Clay Matthews, LB, Southern California Actual pick: Tyson Jackson, DE, Louisiana State Jackson had eight quarterback hurries in his entire Chiefs’ tenure. In other words, he underperformed greatly. While the Chiefs do have great linebackers in Tamba Hali, Justin Houston, and Derrick Johnson, Matthews would help the pass rush as well as the pass defense. He’s the best-rated front seven player left, miles ahead of Brian Orakpo. 4.  Seattle Seahawks Brian Orakpo, DE/OLB, Texas Actual pick: Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest The fact that Orakpo is taken right after Matthews just shows how there is a huge drop-off in defensive talent. Orakpo is a good pass rusher – not a great one. I think the Redskins didn’t want to give him a long-term deal because of that. But still, he would greatly help Seattle’s pass rush and make that great defense even better. Contrary to popular belief, the Seahawks’ pass rush isn’t that good – the secondary straps up receivers, allowing the pass rush time to get to the quarterback. But with Orakpo, that would work both ways. 5.  New York Jets LeSean McCoy, RB, Pittsburgh Actual pick: Mark Sanchez, QB, Southern California We know the story about Sanchez. The Jets don’t have a decent running back on the roster and I believe McCoy is easily a top 3 running back in the league. He’d be a major upgrade over Shonn Greene. 6.  Cincinnati Bengals Jairus Byrd, S, Oregon Actual pick: Andre Smith, OT, Alabama Safety remains a need for the Bengals. Cincinnati grabs its playmaker here – Byrd is better than any safety on the Bengals’ roster. Pair him with Leon Hall and that’s one nice secondary duo. 7.  Oakland Raiders Arian Foster, RB, Tennessee Actual pick: Darrius Heyward-Bey, WR, Maryland DHB had major issues with drops and staying healthy during his Raiders’ tenure. Instead, Oakland gets someone who was actually an undrafted free agent, but turned out to be one of the league’s best running backs. 8.  Jacksonville Jaguars Alex Boone, OT, Ohio State Actual pick: Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia With Monroe off the board, the next-best tackle in the draft, the underrated Alex Boone, goes to Jacksonville to fill that need. Boone has been very good for the ‘Niners over the years, despite being an undrafted free agent. That’s two undrafted free agents drafted in a row.9.  Green Bay Packers Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California Actual pick: B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College Clay Matthews was taken by the Chiefs, but Cushing is available. Despite his recent unfortunate injury troubles, Cushing has been a very good linebacker when on the field. B.J. Raji was a good player for the Packers, but Green Bay can get a defensive tackle with its next pick in the first round at 26th overall. 10.  San Francisco 49ers Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech Actual pick: same Crabtree looked as if he would be another draft bust, but he broke out with Colin Kaepernick as his quarterback. He was playing well last year coming off a torn Achilles tendon, and he’s really not as “sorry” as Richard Sherman says he is. 11.  Buffalo Bills Jeremy Maclin, WR, Missouri Actual pick: Aaron Maybin, DE, Penn State Maybin isn’t even in the NFL anymore. He plays for the CFL’s Argonauts. Instead, the Bills will get a playmaker next to Stevie Johnson. Maclin had the torn ACL last year, but his 2009 to 2012 were excellent seasons in Philadelphia. He’s been arguably the most consistent receiver in this draft class. 12.  Denver Broncos Louis Vasquez, G, Texas Tech Actual pick: Knowshon Moreno, RB, Georgia Vasquez was picked in the third round by San Diego, but ended up with Denver and was the Broncos’ best offensive lineman in 2013. It’s hard to imagine that Vasquez will last that long in a re-mock, so I have the Broncos taking him here. While Moreno had the best season of his career in 2013, he has been inconsistent throughout his career. 13.  Washington Redskins Lardarius Webb, CB, Nicholls State Actual pick: Brian Orakpo, RB, Texas The Redskins need serious cornerback help, and they needed it after 2009 as well. Besides 2012, when he tore his ACL, Webb has been the best cornerback on the Ravens. He was tied for the league lead (with Alterraun Verner) in passes defensed last season, with 22 – Verner is some pretty good company. 14.  New Orleans Saints Jason McCourty, CB, Rutgers Actual pick: Malcolm Jenkins, DB, Ohio State Jenkins played well for a bit as a safety, but his career has dwindled after his early years with New Orleans. Jason McCourty is one of those underrated players who doesn’t get much publicity with the so-so Titans, and he would round out a Saints secondary which would include Jairus Byrd (as of now), Kenny Vaccaro, and Keenan Lewis. 15.  Houston Texans Terrance Knighton, DT, Temple Actual pick: Brian Cushing, LB, Southern California Since Cushing was taken a few picks earlier, I’ll give the Texans the best front seven player available. J.J. Watt, Knighton, and potentially Jadeveon Clowney – that’s a damn pass rush and run defense. 16.  San Diego Chargers Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois Actual pick: Larry English, DE, Northern Illinois The Chargers need serious cornerback help right now. I think Davis is a premier cover cornerback – and Ryan Grigson would agree, as Davis got paid. English wasn’t a bad player, but Davis has more value for his position and he would fill a big need for San Diego.17.  Tampa Bay Buccaneers Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss Actual pick: Josh Freeman, QB, Kansas State This pick could’ve gone a lot of different ways, but I chose to go with the best overall playmaker on the board. Wallace is crazy fast and can score from anywhere on the field. I would take Wallace over Percy Harvin here because of Harvin’s injury (and migraine) issues – although Wallace hasn’t been completely consistent throughout his career, he’s been able to stay healthy, unlike Harvin.To view the rest of the 1st round picks...http://nflspinzone.com/2014/04/14/nfl-draft-2009-redo/?utm_source=FanSided&utm_medium=Network&utm_campaign=Trending%20on%20FS

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Vollmer or Mack would be still yet a better pick than Wallace.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess we should forget that the QB that would throwing the ball would have been Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was and still am a big advocate of Percy Harvin….yeah he has the injury bug…but the biggest concern people had with him out of UF was the Weedjust goes to show you people can change....how many times has he been arrested for weed since?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

sh*t, at this point, everybody who’s still in the league

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Was and still am a big advocate of Percy Harvin....yeah he has the injury bug...but the biggest concern people had with him out of UF was the Weedjust goes to show you people can change....how many times has he been arrested for weed since?

Guy was a baller, and I was all over that idea.  I believe HATE was the other guy who lobbied hard for Harvin.  He rarely plays, but if there is any chance he is healthy for a stretch, he is possibly the best player on the field at any given moment.  I thought before he got hurt in Minny that he was a darkhorse MVP nominee.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

for the love of god, boid, can you please change that terrance cody pic  :'(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

ANYBODY would have been a better pick.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A ha ha ha!  Yeah bud.  I'm on it.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow…another pointless "What If" thread....

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I guess we should forget that the QB that would throwing the ball would have been Luke McCown or Byron Leftwich.

Thing is, Leftwich and Johnson WERE the guys throwing the ball for the first 7 games of 2009 and were a big reason we were winless to that point.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow...another pointless "What If" thread....

tell me about it!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A ha ha ha!  Yeah bud.  I'm on it.

Why? He's got a nice rack lol..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d settle for forfeiting the pick. That’d be better than Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd settle for forfeiting the pick. That'd be better than Freeman.

loledit: the sad part is, I actually think this franchise would be in better condition right now if this actually happened... :'(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Always easy to forget that. I'm sure everyone would have been very patient with Morris when he waited until 2011 or 2012 to find a QB.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A real organization would have gotten Freeman cleaned up. But a clean Freeman would have taken his job back from Glennon in 2 practices and Schiano didn’t want that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A real organization would have gotten Freeman cleaned up. But a clean Freeman would have taken his job back from Glennon in 2 practices and Schiano didn't want that.

The only person that controls you, is you.That sh*t was on Freeman.I guess I'm not surprised you would make that comment though

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman was the right pick.  There was no one to throw the ball.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wanted Freeman or Harvin back then. Should’ve just went with Harvin.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I wanted Freeman or Harvin back then. Should've just went with Harvin.

Yet the team that drafted Harvin got rid of him sooner than the Bucs got rid of Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow...another pointless "What If" thread....

Some of us enjoy fictional writings. Ever watch that Batman movie? He's not real. Sorry :(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

A real organization would have gotten Freeman cleaned up. But a clean Freeman would have taken his job back from Glennon in 2 practices and Schiano didn't want that.

So there are no real organizations in the NFL since Freeman is unemployed still and no one is beating down his door to sign him?  Freeman was a mistake, a mediocre prospect from the get go who decided to not enhance his minor skills by being a slug off the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

;There were probably 3-4 QB's in the later rounds of that draft that probably could have been as good or better than Freeman....QB's that still have roster spotsFreeman was not the last QB available in that class...and the joke is we traded up to get this guy LOL

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yet the team that drafted Harvin got rid of him sooner than the Bucs got rid of Freeman.

Harvin was not a good fit for Minnesota

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The only person that controls you, is you.That sh*t was on Freeman.I guess I'm not surprised you would make that comment though

So the Packers were wrong when they supported Favre and put him in rehab?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So there are no real organizations in the NFL since Freeman is unemployed still and no one is beating down his door to sign him?  Freeman was a mistake, a mediocre prospect from the get go who decided to not enhance his minor skills by being a slug off the field.

The 31 other teams didn't draft Freeman and who knows he's even clean.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They got something out of him though. We literally got nothing.Either way, Harvin is a stud and Freeman is a dud.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

;There were probably 3-4 QB's in the later rounds of that draft that probably could have been as good or better than Freeman....QB's that still have roster spotsFreeman was not the last QB available in that class...and the joke is we traded up to get this guy LOL

Um, yeah. Pat WhiteStephen McGeeRhett BomarNate DavisTom Brandstater Mike Teel (Go Rutgers!) Keith Null Curtis Painter

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Even if you dont agree with the Harvin selection….how about Rey Maualuga

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Um, yeah. Pat WhiteStephen McGeeRhett BomarNate DavisTom Brandstater Mike Teel (Go Rutgers!) Keith Null Curtis Painter

Bryan Hoyer as well...who isnt a world beater...but is a starting QB for the Brownswhich is more than Josh can get right now

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bryan Hoyer as well...who isnt a world beater...but is a starting QB for the Brownswhich is more than Josh can get right now

At the end of the day Freeman still threw 13 more TDs than INTs and twice threw for 25 or more in a season while playing for some bad teams with bad coaches. He deserves to be gone, but things could have been a lot worse. He's clearly the second best QB from that entire class.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trading up to #17 to get a 2nd round value QB who reportedly had leadership and major accuracy issues in college.  Giving the pick away would have been much, much better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trading up to #17 to get a 2nd round value QB who reportedly had leadership and major accuracy issues in college.  Giving the pick away would have been much, much better.

Did you want to watch the entire 2009 season with Byron Leftwich and Josh Johnson and then the 2010 with either of them, Sam Bradford, or Jimmy Clausen? The Bucs were in a tough situation.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Yes but the fact of the matter is when the chips were down….this FO put all their eggs in Freeman…they didnt go out and spend money for a “Quality” starter. They elected to go the Draft way knowing this class probably was going to be pretty weakBut Freeman was Rah's guy and he was even quoted as saying "If we had the #1 pick Freeman would have still been the guy" He might have been feeding us a line of bull but this was one of the biggest bust jobs by this regime bar nonethey dropped the ball, didnt do their homework, went with the nit wit Head Coach's  love affair with Josh and hitched their wagons to it

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Did you want to watch the entire 2009 season with Byron Leftwich and Josh Johnson and then the 2010 with either of them, Sam Bradford, or Jimmy Clausen? The Bucs were in a tough situation.

Luke McCown would not have taken down 2 coaches and a GM.  Let Luke start for a year, then go reassess in 2010, i.e., FA, draft.It's not hindsight on my part or Walter football's either:Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold ... Questionable leadership ... Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.  http://walterfootball.com/pro2009jfreeman.phpThis you trade up for?  Awful.  Will effect the franchise for a decade.  Again, just give the pick away would have been much better.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thing is, Leftwich and Johnson WERE the guys throwing the ball for the first 7 games of 2009 and were a big reason we were winless to that point.

Exactly

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

they didnt go out and spend money for a "Quality" starter.

Such as?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Exactly

Yeah, not Luke McCown thoughJust putting this out there:He posted a 91 QB Rating (1000 yds, 67%, 5tds, 3ints) in relief duty in 2007Sat behind Garcia in 2008And then both were let go before the 2009 seasonWhere we then rode out with JJ, Leftwich, then Freeman

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Luke McCown would not have taken down 2 coaches and a GM.

LOL

Let Luke start for a year, then go reassess in 2010, i.e., FA, draft.

Who did you prefer - Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, or Jimmy Clausen?

It's not hindsight on my part or Walter football's either:Weaknesses: Accuracy was abysmal in junior year ... Locks on to receivers and shows below-average field vision ... Wildly inconsistent; runs hot and cold ... Questionable leadership ... Intangibles will go under the microscope by pro scouts who can talk to KSU players and coaches.  http://walterfootball.com/pro2009jfreeman.phpThis you trade up for?  Awful.  Will effect the franchise for a decade.  Again, just give the pick away would have been much better.

Again, Freeman finished the 2010 with the #6 passer rating and we won 10 games. In 2012 he was a key component of the #9 total offense. It wasn't all doom and gloom. He didn't set us back barely at all. We dumped him with zero cap hit after 4 1/2 years and instantly had the #32 offense. You can do worse than Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman took out 3* coaches – Leslie Frazier in Minny too lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on which one(s) have missed multiple team meetings, team photos, their own camp for kids, gave interviews not allowed by the team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Such as?

Rex Grossman would have been a Better QB than Leftwich or McCown...Maybe tried out Ryan Fitzpatrickany one of these two as a stop gap till got into a better QB class with better prospects

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The setback is the players you lose in the process of making a bone head pick….there was talent in this draft that could still be on this team making huge contributions…if it were not for Raheem’s man crush$$ wise you are right...it didnt set us back. But the tragedy is when you pick a first rounder he better stick. Leave your man crushes for rounds 4-7

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Freeman took out 3* coaches - Leslie Frazier in Minny too lol

Frazier was on his way out anyway....Poor judgement by Frazier to start a QB on Monday night who only knows 4 or 5 plays out of your playbook....what an idiot...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Depends on which one(s) have missed multiple team meetings, team photos, their own camp for kids, gave interviews not allowed by the team.

All three of them have gotten coaches fired.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Such as?

Rex Grossman would have been a Better QB than Leftwich or McCown...Maybe tried out Ryan Fitzpatrickany one of these two as a stop gap till got into a better QB class with better prospects

They would have had to wait until 2011 and either be worse than the 2-14 Panthers to get Cam Newton or have the wherewithal to pass on Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert and wait for Kaepernick or at the least Dalton. It would have been nice, but not very realistic for an unpopular DB coach to have two really bad losing seasons with journeymen QBs and still think he'd have a job after that. I'm sure the fans would have loved to watch Rex Grossman start 32 games. No one would have complained about that. LOL. It's hard for many to admit, but given the circumstances, Freeman worked out as possible for a player to not work out. The team cleaned house and needed a new face for the franchise. They couldn't fire Gruden, dump Garcia and Griese, and then go two more years with journeymen QBs. We got a lot of good games out of Freeman and dodged a bullet by never giving him a contract extension.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

All three of them have gotten coaches fired.

lol

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Such as?

They would have had to wait until 2011 and either be worse than the 2-14 Panthers to get Cam Newton or have the wherewithal to pass on Locker, Ponder, and Gabbert and wait for Kaepernick or at the least Dalton. It would have been nice, but not very realistic for an unpopular DB coach to have two really bad losing seasons with journeymen QBs and still think he'd have a job after that. I'm sure the fans would have loved to watch Rex Grossman start 32 games. No one would have complained about that. LOL. It's hard for many to admit, but given the circumstances, Freeman worked out as possible for a player to not work out. The team cleaned house and needed a new face for the franchise. They couldn't fire Gruden, dump Garcia and Griese, and then go two more years with journeymen QBs. We got a lot of good games out of Freeman and dodged a bullet by never giving him a contract extension.

this whole conversation is based on different levels of hindsightyou're using the un-fun kind  >:(

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Mike Wallace is a real handful with a franchise QB throwing to him.  I can’t imagine how he would of reacted to McNown or Leftwich or whoever tossing it his way.  But it would of been great entertainment..

Please wait…

Viewing 49 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.