Viewing 61 reply threads

• Author

• fanofkit

Participant

It is slow right now, and nothing much in the way of news, so I don't feel too guilty taking up precious page space with this thread- after all, we have a six or seven page thread debating the merits of Goldson's car collection.  So here it goes...What single decision in Buccaneers history would you consider to be the most damaging?  It could be a decision that impacted a single important game and altered the outcome of a single important season,  or it could be a draft pick or coaching choice that negatively impacted the team for years to come.Some obvious choices:  Losing Doug Williams Drafting Bo JacksonHiring RaheemBlitzing Warner after the timeout in the 99 ChampionshipYou get the idea.  Giving Culverhouse the team does not count, although I think we can all agree that that single act by the NFL did more to hurt this team than anything else.All the best...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One could throw out there that trading Steve Young is the worst decision… but on the other hand would he have ever amounted to much as a Buc? Lol

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Handing Shaun King the starting job with no competition. Dynasty thwarted.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Young or Bo.  /thread

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d have to go with the Bo Jackson situation.  Not getting anything at all for the #1 pick in the draft is a total disaster.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd have to go with the Bo Jackson situation.  Not getting anything at all for the #1 pick in the draft is a total disaster.

Bingo ! !

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It’s obvious. Passing on Aaron Rodgers. He should have been a Buc…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I gotta agree with SANTANA, passing on Rodgers was huge.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Wow, so many things…. so little time.Yeah, I'd go with Bo. That might not be the worse, but it's definitely top 3.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Didn’t the Bucs go 2-14 in 86 with Leeman Bennett as coach? Ray Perkins was coach after that and didn’t fare all that much better. Would drafting Vincent Jackson have really made much difference?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Giving up a 1st round draft pick for Revis to come to Florida for a year of rehab. Could have had a young Elam or Rhodes here instead.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Decades of poor scouting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Blitzing Warner… none of those other options caused us a SuperBowl.Passing on Aaron Rodgers is second on my list tho.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Passing on Brady…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

They were blitzing Warner to knock the Rams out of go ahead FG range. Not starting in McCown in 2008 is up there.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Trading Steve Young .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Shoving Doug Williams out the door…

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

1. Drafting Bo jackson.A first and nothing to show for it is the ultimate in "bad."2. The plummer debacle. Gruden was warned and didn't care. He walked and it set the rest in motion. Some for good, but we never had a franchise qb after that.3. The signing of Nicks from FA.6 games of "eh" play.  Hooray free money!4. Passing on rodgers. Would have been higher, but hindsight is 20/20.5. Not promoting Monty to HC.IDC if he "didn't want to" ..Pay him enough to choose to. He would have been a much better hc than either rah or schiano, and no OJT bs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bo Jackson was an awful situation

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I’d put failing to put a decent team around Vinny up there. He made the Pro Bowl in 1996 and 1998. Imagine him in his prime with young Sapp and Brooks.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Not starting in McCown in 2008 is up there.

Yeah. Almost as bad as drafting Freeman.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I'd put failing to put a decent team around Vinny up there. He made the Pro Bowl in 1996 and 1998. Imagine him in his prime with young Sapp and Brooks.

I had this discussion with someone the other day.  Vinny was a horrible QB and no matter how much time passes, he still stunk on ice.  Sapp and Brooks would have cursed the day he played under center with them on the field.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No “firing Jon Gruden”????

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

It's obvious. Passing on Aaron Rodgers. He should have been a Buc...

And Gruden theoretically could have been the right coach for him. The world will never know.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Its Bo for me.  The man tells Culverhouse, don’t waste your pick, I will never play a down for you.  And he said that BEFORE the draft. It would be a different story if they drafted him and then he decided not to play. Its hard to fathom what Culverhouse was thinking.  He would change Bo's mind?  Or Bo would never sit out a year?  Bo said don't do it, and he kept his word. I admire him for that.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

I can understand the Raheem hire. He was young, and if he worked out, the team would of been set for a HC for many years.  So they took a chance on him.  So I don’t fault them on that decision. It just didn’t work out.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hiring Morris is barely a blip on the radar. Whoever coached the 2009 team was due to coach the least talented team in 15 years. Someone had to pay for Gruden and Allen’s horrible drafting.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hiring Morris is barely a blip on the radar. Whoever coached the 2009 team was due to coach the least talented team in 15 years. Someone had to pay for Gruden and Allen's horrible drafting.

Mark Dominik on line one...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

THIS.....and there is no close second!!

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Young or Bo.  /thread

I don't know if there has been a dumber move than Bo.  However, I'm looking at it more along the lines of what was the most COSTLY decision.  By that measure, I have a hard time choosing Bo or Young, because I don't believe any one or two players could have saved this franchise from itself in that era.  The entire culture, management and coaching was so bad, I don't know that Peyton Manning and Warren Sapp could have turned things around.  If I were to pick the most costly decision from that period, I think it would have to be a coaching hire- Leeman Bennett for setting a course of disaster or Sam Wyche over Holmgren ( let it be noted, however, that without Wyche we may not have gotten Brooks and Sapp in 95.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

THIS.....and there is no close second!!

I'm kind of inclined to agree here.  The butterfly effect of passing on Rodgers has plagued this team for some time, and might have prevented the recent era futility.Deciding to roll with King as a starter, and helping to squander the possibility for  dynastic presence during the prime years of that defense, might rival passing on Rodgers in my eyes.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Didn’t Wyche bring in Hardy as well?

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

No "firing Jon Gruden"????

Firing Gruden was the right move, unfortunately it was years too late

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone talking about the poor decision to “roll” with Shaun King, what else were they supposed to do? They traded all their high picks in 2000 for Keyshawn Johnson. Of course Tom Brady was available in the 6th round, but that’s a hard call to say they should have known to pick him. Now they could have used their 2001 1st on Drew Brees who was universally seen as the #2 QB behind Michael Vick, so that was within reason to expect, but remember that draft was a month after the team signed Brad Johnson as a free agent and also Brees wouldn’t become Brees until 2004, the year Sapp and Lynch would be gone. Committing to Shaun King wasn’t a very meaningful move. They didn’t have many other realistic options.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone talking about the poor decision to "roll" with Shaun King, what else were they supposed to do? They traded all their high picks in 2000 for Keyshawn Johnson. Of course Tom Brady was available in the 6th round, but that's a hard call to say they should have known to pick him. Now they could have used their 2001 1st on Drew Brees who was universally seen as the #2 QB behind Michael Vick, so that was within reason to expect, but remember that draft was a month after the team signed Brad Johnson as a free agent and also Brees wouldn't become Brees until 2004, the year Sapp and Lynch would be gone. Committing to Shaun King wasn't a very meaningful move. They didn't have many other realistic options.

Can't argue about there being a lack of options, but I do think they could have and should have tried to do more to improve the situation, especially with the rumors about King's alleged dedication to the Buffet circuit that offseason.  I actually like Shawn King, but with so much potential and so much riding on that season I would have had a very hard time trusting a middling second year quarterback to deliver us to a home field Super Bowl without a better backup than Eric Zier.  (I think that was the backup, but I could be wrong.)

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The prior discussion also made me think of another option- the managing of the end of the Green Bay game in 2000.  I think we could have secured home field advantage with a win there.  Instead, we wound up in the Vet as a Wild Card.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

So far any QB they draft is a terrible decision.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Hiring the Goof Troop :Mark Dummynik and Radio Morris.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

For everyone talking about the poor decision to "roll" with Shaun King, what else were they supposed to do? They traded all their high picks in 2000 for Keyshawn Johnson. Of course Tom Brady was available in the 6th round, but that's a hard call to say they should have known to pick him. Now they could have used their 2001 1st on Drew Brees who was universally seen as the #2 QB behind Michael Vick, so that was within reason to expect, but remember that draft was a month after the team signed Brad Johnson as a free agent and also Brees wouldn't become Brees until 2004, the year Sapp and Lynch would be gone. Committing to Shaun King wasn't a very meaningful move. They didn't have many other realistic options.

The defense was still elite in 2005, 2007 and most of 2008. With an average QB the 2008 team would have locked up the #1 seed by Week 15 and the old defense could have taken 3 weeks off before the playoffs, with all of the games, including the Super Bowl, being at home.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker Reese.  Not only did the Bucs become the first team in the NFL to screw up and put in the wrong name for their draft pick, they compounded the mistake by trading away the next year’s pick to get the guy they wanted, Booker Reese.That number one pick was in the QB draft of the century...yes, the one with Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly and all those other awesome QBs.  Booker Reese busted...and I think he ended up in jail somewhere for drugs.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker Reese.  Not only did the Bucs become the first team in the NFL to screw up and put in the wrong name for their draft pick, they compounded the mistake by trading away the next year's pick to get the guy they wanted, Booker Reese.That number one pick was in the QB draft of the century...yes, the one with Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly and all those other awesome QBs.  Booker Reese busted...and I think he ended up in jail somewhere for drugs.

Jason wins.  I had repressed this chapter due to the fact that this must have been a bad dream right??  Thanks for the reminder of how completely inept we were during the Culverhouse years. 

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Giving up a 1st round draft pick for Revis to come to Florida for a year of rehab. Could have had a young Elam or Rhodes here instead.

The final result was accomplished via two different decisions by two different regimes....unless the Glazers  ordered BOTH transactions which is doubtful.  Dominik/ Schiano would have kept Revis which would have been a better final result.  Lovie would never have traded for him initially...also a better final result.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

One could throw out there that trading Steve Young is the worst decision... but on the other hand would he have ever amounted to much as a Buc? Lol

A worse decision was passing on Reggie White, imo.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booger’s contract extension. Helped blow up the Super Bowl team

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

The final result was accomplished via two different decisions by two different regimes....unless the Glazers  ordered BOTH transactions which is doubtful.  Dominik/ Schiano would have kept Revis which would have been a better final result.  Lovie would never have traded for him initially...also a better final result.

Either way, I'm of the belief that you never give up 1st round picks for anything - even Revis.  Slow and steady through the draft has proven to be the best way to build a team.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Either way, I'm of the belief that you never give up 1st round picks for anything - even Revis.  Slow and steady through the draft has proven to be the best way to build a team.

Josh Freeman, Davin Joseph (he was never ever good despite the pro-bowls), Clayborne, Adams, ClaytonRound 1 picks are not a sure thing, especially here where we bust more often than not.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Josh Freeman, Davin Joseph (he was never ever good despite the pro-bowls), Clayborne, Adams, ClaytonRound 1 picks are not a sure thing, especially here where we bust more often than not.

You have to know how to evaluate talent first.  That starts with character and work ethic.  We have been super deficient in this category as a franchise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Bo Jackson.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booger's contract extension. Helped blow up the Super Bowl team

Excellent point.But I'd still go with Bo.  Yes, he was just one player but he was a once in a lifetime athlete.  Having him sit out and not getting anything that year in the 1st round just kicked this team even more when it was down.  Mid 80's, this was a hapless franchise.  The Bo disaster just made it worse.

Please wait…

• brycen54

Participant

Can anyone explain what they expected Vincent Jackson to accomplish on a four win team coached by Bennett or Perkins? Five or six wins, maybe? I'm not seeing how this adds up to such a devastating loss.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Can anyone explain what they expected Vincent Jackson to accomplish on a four win team coached by Bennett or Perkins? Five or six wins, maybe? I'm not seeing how this adds up to such a devastating loss.

One of the things that blunts the idea of this as the worst, in my mind at least, was the relative mediocrity of that draft.  Off hand, I can't think of a stellar player that came out of that first round.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Booker Reese.  Not only did the Bucs become the first team in the NFL to screw up and put in the wrong name for their draft pick, they compounded the mistake by trading away the next year's pick to get the guy they wanted, Booker Reese.That number one pick was in the QB draft of the century...yes, the one with Elway, Marino, Jim Kelly and all those other awesome QBs.  Booker Reese busted...and I think he ended up in jail somewhere for drugs.

Certainly one of the biggest mistakes to me.  The ripples from that draft became a tsunami of failure that helped swamp this franchise for more than a decade.  The saddest thing is, if we hadn't screwed up the draft pick and actually chose Reese with our first round pick the damage would not have been nearly as bad.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Certainly one of the biggest mistakes to me.  The ripples from that draft became a tsunami of failure that helped swamp this franchise for more than a decade.  The saddest thing is, if we hadn't screwed up the draft pick and actually chose Reese with our first round pick the damage would not have been nearly as bad.

Yup. Ironically, the guy they picked - Sean Farrell - turned out to be a pretty good player in the NFL. Reese? Not so much. And I think we all know what happened with those QBs...If memory serves, I believe that was also the year they allowed Doug to go to the USFL so Tampa Bay was in NEED of a QB. Could you imagine Dan Marino in Tampa Bay? It would have probably ended up like Steve Young...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We traded Hall of Famer Steve freaking Young for a 2nd round pick.Lolz...the joys of being a Buc fan.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Could you imagine Dan Marino in Tampa Bay? It would have probably ended up like Steve Young...

This is the only thing that keeps me from making this the biggest or most costly mistake in franchise history- the coaching and management of the entire franchise was so bad, that even a Dan Marino probably would have been pulled under.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While Im not nearly old enough to have watched the situation (nor is it a direct Bucs decision) play out, Im placing my vote for allowing HC to ever own our franchise. From what I hear he was a smug rich man who wouldnt take care of his employees, and that doesnt fly well with me…..BUT, it did get me the franchise I love…..

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

While Im not nearly old enough to have watched the situation (nor is it a direct Bucs decision) play out, Im placing my vote for allowing HC to ever own our franchise. From what I hear he was a smug rich man who wouldnt take care of his employees, and that doesnt fly well with me.....BUT, it did get me the franchise I love.....

The Stories about how cheaply he operated this franchise are legendary.  He was, however, a quite influential owner.  He played a considerable role in making the league the juggernaut that it is.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

We must have blown more 1st round draft picks than any other team. Add to the list the FIRST pick in the 1984 draft for…. The aging Throwin’ Samoan…     And in 1992, we traded the 2nd overall pick in the draft for Chris Chandler...

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! Hands down changed the last decade of our franchise.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Been a fan since the early days and without a doubt I have to say ultimate cheapskate owner Hugh Culverhouse not re-signing Doug Williams after the 1979 NFC conference championship appearance. Sent the franchise into a tailspin it didn’t recover from until 1996.

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS!!! Hands down changed the last decade of our franchise.

Thank Kyle Boller. If he didn't bust so hard teams wouldn't have been so skeptical of Cal QB's .

Please wait…

• Anonymous

Inactive

Thank Kyle Boller. If he didn't bust so hard teams wouldn't have been so skeptical of Cal QB's .

As a rule, the west coast QB is the enemy of the league.  Too soft.

Please wait…

Viewing 61 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.